• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
20. Dead Island
19. Crackdown 3
18. Order 1886
17. Shenmue III
16. No Man's Sky
15. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite
14. Death Stranding
13. Mighty Number 9
12. Star Fox Zero
11. Resident Evil 6
10. Mass Effect 3
9. Metroid Other M
8. Simcity 2013
7. Final Fantasy XIII
6. Playstation All Stars Battle Royale
5. Anthem
4. Fallout 76
3. Star Wars Battlefront II
2. Aliens Colonial Marines
1. Duke Nukem Forever

I can't stand WatchMojo. Thanks for posting the list in a spoiler. Was Shenmue III really that big of a disappointment? I thought it hit its target. And yeah, Duke Nukem Forever being number one is the only correct choice.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This list is missing Andromeda and Fallout 4.

Not sure about the Dead Island inclusion. Sure the trailer was different, but a lot of people ended up enjoying it anyway.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
would you have liked it more if it had consisted of delivering bullets to people's heads?
I would have liked the game to actually engage with me instead of having me running around doing nothing.

The idea of reconnecting america and social systems were interesting but the base gameplay loop is just a failure in game design.
but the gameplay is fun
You must like walking around doing nothing then

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I would have liked the game to actually engage with me instead of having me running around doing nothing.

The idea of reconnecting america and social systems were interesting but the base gameplay loop is just a failure in game design.
You didn't like it. That's okay.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017

You must like walking around doing nothing then
I'm sorry you didnt enjoy it, but a lot of people did. I wouldn't call that a "failure in game design."

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
disagree entirely on that

the game is about reconnecting various areas, and the main drive in that front is the delivery, so the focus is on how you deliver, how efficiently, and how safely, so the focus shifts constantly from your objective (the point you are connecting) and where you currently are, your footing, your safety (especially in higher areas), and your package safety.

the gameplay is tightly focused on these aspects, and when you finally reconnect a given area, that opens up the multiplayer, making multiple deliveries easier. Because you made the journey once before without the help of others, you appreciate even more even the slightest help given, even more so if that help is something like a bridge over a river, or a watchtower to find resources.

if this didn't work for you then that's fine, but it's certainly not a failure of game design, the game is designed in a very particular way and it excels in that design, at least in my opinion.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Both Death Stranding and MGSV should be on the list. They just chose to just include DS and make it the banner for pure click bait reasons. But tbf I expected way more from DS than MGSV after how much I disliked MGSIV.

Anyway, both were pretty mediocre for me and that's three in a row for Kojima as I care.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Largely a good list, but to have Mass Effect 3 on there but not Andromeda isn't quite working for me.

Edit: and Metal Gear Solid V, which I think might be my personal pick.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's probably too niche to make a WatchMojo list but Zero Time Dilemma definitely belongs somewhere in there. In many ways it was an even more pathetic and ruinous conclusion to what had been a fantastic narrative and world built through the prior two games than Mass Effect 3 was.

Forgot all about that game. I honestly felt similar disappointed by AI: Somnium Files. Such a mediocre game.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
highly anticipated conclusion

I mean, it was only a conclusion because he was fired, after the fact. It was at most, before launch, a fleshing out of back story, then with the twist, pointless sequel bait and lore dump.

Mgs 4 was more the conclusion, no? Peace walker and V are just fleshing out the inbetween 3, and 1.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
This list should contains TWO Mass Effect games...

Resident Evil 6 is a huge disappointment.
Hmmmm, pretty good list. Mine would be:

1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Metroid: Other M
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Uncharted 4: A Theif's End
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phanotom Pain
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
8. Twisted Metal (2012)
9. Yoshi's Crafted World
10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed these games, but my expectations for them were massive as they were followups to some of my all time favorite games.
Please tell me you mean Lords of Shadow 2.... it was a mega disappointment.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I mean, it was only a conclusion because he was fired, after the fact. It was at most, before launch, a fleshing out of back story, then with the twist, pointless sequel bait and lore dump.

Mgs 4 was more the conclusion, no? Peace walker and V are just fleshing out the inbetween 3, and 1.
Hm, yeah, conclusion might not have been the right word, but it was promoted as the "missing link" in the story and everything was supposed to make sense iirc.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
If they're putting Kickstarter backed games on there, I'm kinda surprised Yooka Laylee wasn't on there. Hyped to hell and back before release as the return of the classic N64 style platformer and was pretty much shit on left and right at release.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
People calling Death Stranding a masterpiece when it sold middling in pretty much most western markets. Including steep week-on-week drops indicating poor word of mouth.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Surprisingly good list, though I admit not playing all the games in here.
As for Kojima, I haven't liked his games since MGS3, so I'm not sure that I could say that DS was disappointing. I played it for a short time right, and didn't like it.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
People calling Death Stranding a masterpiece when it sold middling in pretty much most western markets. Including steep week-on-week drops indicating poor word of mouth.
Yea,after 160hrs I put Death Stranding down and thought....wow,that was a masterpiece.
I didn't think to check how many copies it sold first,lol.
Some people didn't think it was a masterpiece.....in fact they thought it was utter shit....and that's fine too.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry how is death stranding disappointing? It was nominated for goty
Easy. Narrow minded individuals reviewed the game because it wasnt what they wanted it to be rather than review it for what it was. What's the most laughable thing is some of the stuff it was criticised for...go back and play MGS and NOBODY had an issue with it, the over indulgence, the long cut scenes, a complicated story....nothing new. But for some reason people had an issue with it in 2019. It was actually refreshing to play a game how it was intended to be played, that looked great, played great, sounded great, didn't need a thousand patches to fix, wasn't a clusterfuck of lootbox mechanics.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
Was anyone really disappointed with Crackdown 3? It seemed like it hit a wall of jaded scepticism regarding Microsoft's 'power of the cloud' on its initial reveal, and by the time it eventually limped to its release it was met with, 'Yeah. This is just what we expected..."

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Mass Effect 3 was a good video game. (Not great, unlike ME2.) That's the biggest issue I have with this list.

If you were disappointed by Shemue III and Death Stranding, it's on you. Pre-release materials told us EXACTLY what those games would be, and from what I hear that's what they ended up being. I also remember reception of FFXIII being pretty divided rather than overwhelmingly negative.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI

I think it's one of the best games I've played this gen and maybe all time. It's a masterpiece. But I don't think it was ever going to sell gangbusters considering the type of game it is.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Solid list, but yes, Andromeda should have taken the place of ME3. ME3 was good except for the last 30 minutes, Andromeda was almost all bad except for maybe 30 minutes.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Actually a decent list outside a couple that are too early to properly evaluate and obviously just there for the clickbait. Even the ones I disagree on being bad can at least have good cases made for how disappointing they were.

Untrue.

A lot of people cared about how disappointing Andromeda was. If anyone wants to defend the agument that people stop caring about Mass Effect after ME3, they won't find any grounds to support it.

I mean I can decide for myself; I was day 1 for Mass Effect 2 and 3, but couldn't even pretend to give a shit about Andromeda after ME3's ending.

And "DNF doesn't deserve to be here because people knew it would be bad" doesn't really hold up. I wasn't expecting something great, but it failed to even reach my expectations of at least being an interesting mess.

DarkMagician

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmm, pretty good list. Mine would be:

1. Bioshock Infinite
2. Metroid: Other M
3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
4. Uncharted 4: A Theif's End
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phanotom Pain
6. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Resident Evil 2 (2019)
8. Twisted Metal (2012)
9. Yoshi's Crafted World
10. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed these games, but my expectations for them were massive as they were followups to some of my all time favorite games.
The fuck is this list

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I mean I can decide for myself; I was day 1 for Mass Effect 2 and 3, but couldn't even pretend to give a shit about Andromeda after ME3's ending.

Oh, if you said you didn't care for Andromeda I wouldn't have objected. But saying there was an overall lack of interest is simply untrue. You could say it had less hype than ME3, that's probably true, but it still had a lot of it.

And "DNF doesn't deserve to be here because people knew it would be bad" doesn't really hold up. I wasn't expecting something great, but it failed to even reach my expectations of at least being an interesting mess.

And isn't it the same with Andromeda? And it's a much worse game than Duke Nuken Forever.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Death Stranding was leading in GOTY noms this year?

Also, No Man's Sky is certainly not even close to the most disappointing of the decade. You can maybe make the case that it was the most disappointing game of 2016, but after Next and Beyond it has become everything that was promised and MUCH more