• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Despite Snyder's slavish devotion to the image of the comic, he fundamentally doesn't understand anything about it so, yeah, Watchmen is infinitely worse as both a film and a faithful adaptation.

V for Vendetta is certainly a different beast from the book but all of its deviations from the source material aren't from stupidity or ignorance, they are done to mold the story into a new context. Now whether one likes that change is up to them but it is still a pretty good flick on its own merits.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The films were OK. Pretty mediocre but striking movies. The original source material is totally shitty though. Starting an argument from the assumption that the comic books is good has no standing ground. You have to first articulate why the comics are good by themselves. Why the movies fail as movies. And why the movies fail as adaptations. Anything but that is lazy.
There's are years worth of reviews and essays on why V for Vendetta and the Watchmen are classic, genre defining works. My argument isn't that their movie adaptations fail as movies, rather that they fail at capturing the spirit of the source material.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's are years worth of reviews and essays on why V for Vendetta and the Watchmen are classic, genre defining works. My argument isn't that their movie adaptations fail as movies, rather that they fail at capturing the spirit of the source material.

Then you have to tell us what you believe the central premise of the books are. How the movie reinterprets it and fails, we cannot read your mind.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Then you have to tell us what you believe the central premise of the books are. How the movie reinterprets it and fails, we cannot read your mind.
I said it on the OP. Watchmen removes superficial elements like the space squid, along with its humanist reaffirmation in its third act, while V for Vendetta entirely removes the Anarchist politics from its main character.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I said it on the OP. Watchmen removes superficial elements like the space squid, along with its humanist reaffirmation in its third act, while V for Vendetta entirely removes the Anarchist politics from its main character.

You are arguing that the squid is one of the original motivations of the work? That is so odd to latch into as what defines the whole book, but OK.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Just to clarify; I honestly don't think either of these are "bad movies", I was simply curious to hear which movie Resetera thinks is most true to its source material.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i only watched each once but i had fun with V for Vendetta and every minute of Watchmen was excruciatingly trying, so V wins by default.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'll admit, I have never seen this version of the Watchmen movie. Is it worth the watch?

For the novelty, Gerard Butler voices the captain and actually does a great job. The movie has a restored deleted scene in which they assault and kill Hollis Mason and it's actually really good (and sad) . I will never stop asking why Snyder decided to cut that scene in order to have one with lots of owl sex.

TFGB

Dec 23, 2018
This thread reminded me that my BD of Watchmen is still in its wrapper. V for Vendetta is a spectacle to behold and one of those films you don't mind watching again and again.

OP
OP
RedVejigante

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
For the novelty, Gerard Butler voices the captain and actually does a great job. The movie has a restored deleted scene in which they assault and kill Hollis Mason and it's actually really good (and sad) . I will never stop asking why Snyder decided to cut that scene in order to have one with lots of owl sex.
Huh, I didn't realize Gerard Butler was involved...I might have to check that out.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
I like both, but the appropriation of the V mask by anonymous is (irrationally) just about enough to make me not really want to watch the film again

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Watchmen's filth has aged better than V's cartoonish Bushian evil, and it looks better, so I'll give it to that. Liked both moderately well, but something about V's tone has always been off for me. It's... sparse. Nothing about it ever really feels earned to me. And while I'm talking about aging well, woo boy that mask is something completely different nowadays.

JAT

Oct 27, 2017
I should check out V for Vendetta apparently. For some reason I thought people hated it.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watchmen's filth has aged better than V's cartoonish Bushian evil, and it looks better, so I'll give it to that. Liked both moderately well, but something about V's tone has always been off for me. It's... sparse. Nothing about it ever really feels earned to me. And while I'm talking about aging well, woo boy that mask is something completely different nowadays.

Through no fault of the film itself. But your right.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was more impressed with Watchmen because the source material is pretty bloated, so seeing the decisions made of what parts they wanted to skim down in the story to see what could translate to cinema was neat. I've tried watching V for Vendetta twice and both times it put me to sleep somewhere in the middle. I don't know why, as I prefer V's graphic novel over Watchmen.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I love V. Just a really well put together film. Not really the same as the book, but great in its own way.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I was more impressed with Watchmen because the source material is pretty bloated, so seeing the decisions made of what parts they wanted to skim down in the story to see what could translate to cinema was neat. I've tried watching V for Vendetta twice and both times it put me to sleep somewhere in the middle. I don't know why, as I prefer V's graphic novel over Watchmen.
Probably because V was a completely different interpretation going from Moore anarchy leanings to like someone said a watered down vaguely leftist leaning but really a general fight the power against British Hitler

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Moores work was innovate for its time, I guess, but it does not hold. Its shitty writing with a flair of edginess to make it seem cool. The level of discourse presented in his comics is more nuanced than what you see in the monthly Batman comics, but is barely better of what you can read in college level philosophy courses.
Oh my isn't it just though!

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Watchmen could've been the first superhero film to get best picture if done right. It's not a total wash, but it was a bit of a letdown.

Nephtis

Banned
Dec 27, 2017
I couldn't get past the halfway point for V. I tried, but I could not.

Watchmen wasn't the best movie, but I at least was able to get through the entirety of it.

Qasiel

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
V For Vendetta probably missed the mark, adaptation-wise, the most but it made a better movie than Watchmen. I read V after seeing the film and enjoyed them both, whereas I read Watchmen before the film and remember feeling a little let down. I'm not sure if that has coloured my opinion, though.

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
Watchmen. It failed to live up to the critiques of "great men" image/ideology that Moore filled the comic with, which was a response to the characters Ditko (a known Randian dipshit) created, which the Watchmen characters came from. It's not surprising that the film would miss this entirely though, as it was given to a different Randian dipshit, Zack Snyder; who empathized and framed certain characters morality, like Rorschach, completely off base.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who never read the source, i think Watchmen is one of the best and one of the few really good action-hero movies ever made. Much better than action hero movies of recent years.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
V for Vendetta is a clumsy bludgeoning of the source material.

Watchmen is a clumsy mishandling of the source material.

So I guess V for Vendetta was worse? I understand that that's not a popular opinion but man that movie rubs me up the wrong way every 10 or so minutes. Yuck.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
As I've just finished a reread of V for Vendetta(30th anniversary edition, it's lovely btw) then my opinion does sit closely to Moores in that just making V a superhero fundamentally misses the point of the story by a wide margin.

However the movie is a decent film and as David Lloyd agrees does a great job of bringing to life his artwork and certain sequences from the book.

I love the book and enjoy the movie.

Watchmen though misses the point totally and to work as a movie it should be using the last 10-20yrs of comic book movies as its starting point to deconstruct as the book did to comics.

Love the hot takes on page 1 of this thread. Just hilarious.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I like both films.

I saw Watchman with 7 people who hadn't read the comics & they all came out of it saying they'd seen a really effective alt-80s thriller that threw costume fetishes into the mix. Watchmen gets more shit than it deserves because of Snyder IMO, which is no surprise on here.

V betrays Its source at every single pass, and for me it's still a very enjoyable movie because I always find the film shows up the paucity of depth in comics as a medium.

Moore did his best work in 2000AD. Halo Jones & Ace Trucking are both better series than either V or Watchmen.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
No I think Watchmen did just fine. The ending has a bunch of street level superheroes too impotent to change the world while Ozymandias frames big blue Dr. Manhattan for wiping out the major cities.

The only way impotent humanity can live with itself is if they have a giant space monster to team up against. This isn't just true for comic book movies, but for more established fantasy genres in film as well.

Seeing how current superhero movies rely on building to SURPRISE giant space monsters I'd say Watchmen in both forms is correct.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel that Watchmen had the same points there, but they just weren't highlighted or focused on. There are scenes in the movie that kind of undermine that points of the book, but the general message of the book isn't completely lost in the movie adaptation.

V For Vendetta felt like it watered down the original meaning of the book.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watchmen didnt fail. In fact most of the changes made for a better more sensible film.

People just have to come to terms with the fact that not all comic books are screenplays that can be filmed while having the same impact 20 years after it was written.