• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
My only gripe is not hinting at Doc Justice, and in fact implying he didn't have his powers. Or maybe he does and is hiding them.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ my dad fucking cancelled HBO GO the night of the season finale. Legitimate child abuse. I just started a trial i hope this final episode is good.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole season was perfect. One of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen. I knew Lindelof would be the perfect fit for this series after watching The Leftovers.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What a payoff ! Lindelof delivered with this one.
I knew they were going to show her foot linger and move slowly and then cut away right when it touched water, before it happened. But I think it's safe to assume that she has the power now seeing how Lindelof confirms it too, might as well have shown the foot staying afloat.

Is there going to be a season 2 or is it done/unconfirmed?

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I thought all of the cops were fucked after seeing what happened to her hand. It really didn't seem like a threat. It would have made more sense if it was just a giant frozen squid that fell above her and the machine thing. Making the whole re run line funnier in hindsight.
I actually agree with that, the cops seemed to have been doing mostly fine despite being out there for quite a while, whereas the very first drop poked a hole in her hand.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
c7y1iqwttu441.jpg

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
I actually agree with that, the cops seemed to have been doing mostly fine despite being out there for quite a while, whereas the very first drop poked a hole in her hand.
Was absolutely a crucifction parallel right? Jesus on the cross was right behind her too.

I do agree, though, there was gonna me more collateral damage

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
They think they're being cute-cheeky but I don't need that shit and I definitely don't need that shit baited on finale night without giving the season any time to settle

OP I DEMAND A POLL GAUGING THE INTEREST IN A SEASON 2

AND IT SHALL BE 100 to 0

Oct 25, 2017
I love that Veidt was the perfect answer for Manhattan's people. He gave them their purpose and set them on a great game and challenged them. The wink of the prosecuting attorney, the lovelorn farewell of the Warden. They wanted parts to play, and he gave it to them.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Quentin and the mods of wikifeet thank you for that last shot

Also the episode was cliche and way too comical/tropey

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...I'm sorry but that finale just confirmed all the problems I previously laid out with the show. It's a pale imitation of the original that can't hold a candle to it. The ending was insulting.

I'll post more in-depth thoughts tomorrow.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
What a terrific season of television from start to finish.

If they do do a season 2 it should be different characters and a different aspect of the Watchmen universe. They sort of set up a possible season 2 with Nite Owl being in prison, but I think Angela's story is pretty done.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
What a fucking ride this first season has been!

Lindelof dragging his dick all the way to the Emmys...

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
If we got more id pay an arm and a leg to either tell the whole story of the minutemen or retell the watchmen story. Don't think another sequel is needed.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no way there isnt another season of this. I mean, the sheer instinct of seeing this greatness will have someone writing a check. For better or worse, who knows. But this seasons was wonderful.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Dude rules. Easily the best actor on the show. Although Jeremy Irons was good too once he started getting scenes that involved talking to actual human beings.

I was surprised by how traditional of an ending they went for. It was really just an MCU-style "the good guys win" story in the end. I understand that you can't just duplicate the same style of ending as the comic, as a big part of what made it subversive was the surprise involved, but they kind of replaced it with... nothing. It's not so much that they missed as it is they didn't even swing.

Overall, I can see why people enjoyed this as a week-to-week mystery (it was engaging enough for me to keep watching), but still feel it failed to say anything interesting or insightful about its subject matter (especially the more serious things, such as race).

There's no secret or grand mystery about racism.

The Senator explained everything. White people were pissed that they had to pay reparations and apologize for what their ancestors did, what happened in the past. If this doesn't sound familiar, then a TV show isn't going to provide you any additional insight.

BTW, check out the book White Rage. it explains how historically, whenever black people make gains, white people systematically enact destructive tendencies to force regression. This show is a proxy for that IRL tendency.

The other "grand revelation" to consider is how, if a person can become a god, what lengths they would go to become one. Or, put another way, nobody should become a god, because ostensibly, they would abuse that power. As Veidt said, Trieu would make everyone prostrate and kiss her little blue feet.

This is why, even though the show-runners have made an ion-clad tight season, there are sprinkles of potential for another season, with Trieu's mother/daughter, and Angela possibly inheriting Manhattan's powers. Except, her feet are "black" rather than blue.

Changing the villain from white supremacists to Trieu felt like kind of a cop-out to me, they got off far too easy. Trieu is a narcissist, but I never got the feeling she was a threat. Her plan being undone by frozen squid that seemed to do no more damage (other than to Trieu and her machine) than the equivalent of a large hail storm was pretty anticlimactic.

Everything with Veidt was great. I wish there had been more to he and Trieu's relationship.

I wouldn't say they didn't stick the landing, but it's such a letdown after the last few episodes.

The main leaders of the white supremacists all died. ANd think about it: did Trieu really HAVE to kill them? She was going to become a god. She could have came back for them or enslaved them. You have to consider the fact that she killed them with PLEASURE, despite being a character who takes very little pleasure in anything.

Also, you should have been side-eying Trieu since the episode she was introduced, bringing genetically engineered babies into barren women's homes to guilt-trip them out of selling their whole lives away.

The "more" to Veidt's and Trieu's relationship is that the only adversary worthy of him is...HIM (but in the form of herI).

No sequel for 30 years please.

Amen to that, but I'm sure HBO is gonna airlift by helicopter literal bank vault of money on Lindelof's property to convince him to do another season. I ain't rich or will never see that kind of money, but I still would say no. Like I said above, there's stuff other people can work with, but this show is masterful. DO NOT TOUCH!

Oct 25, 2017
If it goes forward, I could see them exploring the prior heroes, Minutemen, etc. with a very thin but thematic tie to the past. Mothman as insanity, etc. But couched in the present and future. Nite Owl as The Prisoner would also be fun.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
It is going to be a damn shame when the inevitable sequel to t his sucks.

Of course, I thought this about this show as well, so I hope to be proven wrong.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This show followed GoT entire series.

The first few episodes were season 1-3. Then the last few were 4-6.

The finale was straight popcorn season 8.

Don't waste more money on this HBO.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
There's no secret or grand mystery about racism.

The Senator explained everything. White people were pissed that they had to pay reparations and apologize for what their ancestors did, what happened in the past. If this doesn't sound familiar, then a TV show isn't going to provide you any additional insight.

BTW, check out the book White Rage. it explains how historically, whenever black people make gains, white people systematically enact destructive tendencies to force regression. This show is a proxy for that IRL tendency.

The other "grand revelation" to consider is how, if a person can become a god, what lengths they would go to become one. Or, put another way, nobody should become a god, because ostensibly, they would abuse that power. As Veidt said, Trieu would make everyone prostrate and kiss her little blue feet.

This is why, even though the show-runners have made an ion-clad tight season, there are sprinkles of potential for another season, with Trieu's mother/daughter, and Angela possibly inheriting Manhattan's powers. Except, her feet are "black" rather than blue.

Yet the series ends with a character becoming a god...

The main leaders of the white supremacists all died. ANd think about it: did Trieu really HAVE to kill them? She was going to become a god. She could have came back for them or enslaved them. You have to consider the fact that she killed them with PLEASURE, despite being a character who takes very little pleasure in anything.

Yes, because Angela wouldn't also take pleasure in killing leaders of white supremacy.

LOL, this is so true.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Except backwards. The show started weak and became stronger as it went along.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
what's with keene's underpants lol
Watchmen-Vietnam.jpg

This panel is called: "Before Doc Stopped Giving a Fuck"

Tangentially related, it's nice that all the "A bunch of dumb hick white supremacists from Oklahoma couldn't possibly figure out how to capture Dr. Manhattan" complaints were totally acknowledged and validated and gleefully encouraged to clown on those fuckfaces

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Yet the series ends with a character becoming a god...

Yes, because Angela wouldn't also take pleasure in killing leaders of white supremacy.

LOL, this is so true.

Angela would have arrested them. Her grandfather would have taken pleasure in killing them.

As far as her becoming a god, does she? Guess we'll never know. Pretty sure she didn't have to step on water to determine if she had PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS!

The real question is, what is it that Angela has that Laurie didn't, that would make Manhattan fall in love to give up his PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS???

ANother plot hole: isn't Angela still a fugitive. We gonna forget she rammed through a cop car on her way home before the Kalvary raided her house? Why didn't her police friends come and try to stop her? Stop the Kalvary?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think another season is coming soon but for what it's worth, I think it would be interesting for Angela to be the Dr. Manhattan going forward. A couple episodes ago (with the Cal=Jon thing) it was revealed she wasn't the everywoman people thought she was and was actually way deeper into the main throughline, and besides that she was a hardliner with regards to law and brutality and "doing bad so good can come eventually" stuff. So the idea that she would take what she learned here and try to build a better future for the world...well, at least before becoming distant like Jon did, but hey, she's got the limiter thing already...could be interesting. It would just send the show into a wildly different tangent that would feel like a massive epilogue, so I would have to assume that another immediate season would be set somewhere else that would just eventually tie into this season towards the end. This really didn't leave much to explore immediately afterward and it would have to be a major time jump to have anything to pull from.

Another 30 years? Maybe. Maybe in 30 years we'll get Angela's oldest kid and Trieu's motherdaughter having a proxy war through other masked vigilantes in a sad corporate dystopia that has completely turned pirate-themed media into the only thing people care about, and it'll be relevant for the time. I dunno.

In any case, this was pretty damn good overall. Kudos to the team behind it.