• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
The bar Angela and M meet in is also the very same location that the Doc and Comedian quote took place in, further tying it all together.

3psipxbje9341.jpg

It's also been renamed to Mr Eddy's bar, presumably because of the 'famous' hero that killed someone there?

EDIT: Already mentioned.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
in the first episode they get him the horse shoe but he said no it's not the time for that. I interpreted as a quirk of the robots/clones (we didn't know back then)

so the horseshoe was a plan for escape all along ?

but the cake ? Why do they keep brining him the same cake ?
Birthday cake? Cake to celebrate his arrival?
It's assumed that each time we see him is a year apart.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Just my theory. I think
Adrian is the hidden mastermind behind the 7th Kavalry, not Joe Keene.
  • Adrian has a unique understanding of how Dr. Manhattan physiology functions and as such has created countermeasures to incapacitate him
    • this can explain how the 7th Kavalry came to possess a Tachyon Cannon and Teleporter. Beyond Lady Trieu, no other established character has shown the capacity to have manufactured these devices
  • Adrian likely hates the fact that he failed in killing Jon, and some part of him likely wants to prove that he can
  • More importantly Adrian wants to be Jon, or seen as a god, savior, or messiah. It's in his name, and the Squid attack on Manhattan and current global tensions only serve to remind him of his failure and deepened that desire. In killing Jon, he achieves both goals
    • Adrian initially wished to be reloacted to Europa to escape his failure and receive the admiration he's always wanted, but he came to hate it because the worship he received was programmed into Mr. Phillips and Ms. Crookshanks, deepening his hatred of his "prison", a feeling Jon had previously shared. It was hollow and gave his existence no purpose and deprived him of fulfillment. This need to "fix" a problem and be admired for it fuels his desire to return to Earth, a place filled with imperfect beings who won't unconditionally love and worship him without merit
  • Adrian returns to Earth, and learns that Jon, who should no longer remember him, is living a human life in Tulsa with Angela, and hatches a plot to become a better god than Jon was and manufactures a plot to assert himself as a god by using Tulsa, a hotbed of historical racial tension as his ground zero. He releases his video meant for now President Redford to members of government whom he's whipped up psych profiles on and gradually recruits those who would be loyal
    • this explains why certain members of government have seen a video that would negatively impact President Redford, so Redford himself would not have released it, and to the viewer's knowledge, these are the only two people who had knowledge of the the video, so it stands to reason that Adrian logically would be the one who shared it with those who would go on to become the 7th Kavalry
    • the fact that there's still squid rain speaks to the fact that Adrian is back on Earth since we found out he was responsible for it in the past in the latest episode
  • The religious iconography such as Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden with God and Satan draws parallels to Mr. Phillps, Mr. Crookshanks, Jon, and Adrian respectively and tell of a God who has seemingly abandoned his people and a fallen angel who wants to assert themselves as God and take the absent god's place. In biblical fashion, Satan normally stays behind the scenes while his agents cause mayhem, Joe Keene and Judd Crawford being such agents in this situation
Well that's my theory. Tear it apart.
Plausible...and would work well with what we've seen of Veidt

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not sure how much Veidt is going to be directly involved in the main Tulsa plot. I know we mostly think he was in the crash on that farm that Trieu bought, and even though the show made it seem like that took place in the past, Lindelof (or one of the writers) clarified that that object/person landed in the main timeline of the series. Nonetheless they've said the Veidt stuff is a sort of separate plot from the rest of the story that might not fully link up, so I wonder if Adrian will factor into the endgame at all.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched it, and loved it. They're really gonna land this show. A feat I didn't know was possible and didn't know I even wanted.

Funnily enough, this reminded me a bit of my favorite Lost episode, The Constant, which Lindelof co-wrote (I'm not a fan of Lost overall but

Sorry for the double post, but this podcast with Moore is one of my favorite interviews with him, and he talks extensively about how he fully believes in predetermination, and that we all constantly live our lives over and over again. In addition to it being a really profound and insightful interview, it made me think a ton about how much of his own belief Alan put into Manhattan, and how he's not enslaved to predeterminism, but he truly believes it, and in this universe, it is true.
I will give this a listen. I generally don't love predetermination, but I love it as a thought experiment like in Nietzsche's eternal recurrence, where the main point isn't predetermination per se, but what people do with its knowledge, and that they'd be willing to do it all again. There's something I've always found remarkable about that notion of amor fati, or however you want to call it, that if you had foreknowledge of everything, you'd accept it and do it, because doing so means you're not passively at the mercy of Fate, but you embrace it to be, in a way, on equal footing, as you're a part of it. I'll go on a limb and assume that's the kind of thing Moore had in mind. That's how I've always seen Manhattan, and part of why I loved this episode.

It just hit me that they're leaning in really fucking hard with the God allegory with Manhattan in this season. You've got him making Adam and Eve, a Garden of Eden, and also manifesting himself as a mortal for a period of time. Not to mention I think they're going to basically have him 'die for our sins', with the 'our' being America, given that he is an American God, after all.

Now all we need is a resurrection and we're all set.
Watching that scene with Adrian in his cell, trying to get out of Paradise, it hit me that he was a bit of a twist on Lucifer, who absolutely didn't want to rule in Heaven, but who'd rather struggle on Earth, earning his way to the top. The romantic imagery in that cell conjured that fallen angel look.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Just finally caught up with the last episode because I worked last night. Man that was a fantastic episode. Yahya gave an awesome performance as Dr Manhattan 💙

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Holy fuck.

This is a masterpieceeee

I can understand why there's a bit of confusion and frustration around the Dr Manhattan determinism paradox ("why did he stand in front of the teleporter if he knew he would be teleported?" Etc) - this is one of the many factors why Alan Moore and others consider the original series unfilmable.

Consider this page:

1c3710006a84cbfd25c2081f052498cf._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

As a very small sample of the structure of the comic book series, Dr Manhattan sees the entire page in one go. As we do, as comic book readers. We perceive the time jump, the repetition, the transition between photo and Mars, the differences between the state of time where the photo was taken and where Jon is now, and his inner monologue which also leaps between chronology, all at once. Yes, we read it linearly, but we don't have to (which can be confusing - and thus the point). And once we finish the page, we can jump to any panel we wish without doing anything but moving our eyes, and also perceive the entire page as a whole.

Watchmen, the comic book series, is using this technique all the time (part of the reason why the 9 panel grid structure is so vital to it).

The reader acts as Dr Manhattan. Taking in the narrative, aware of it, but never being able to change it.

This is one of the unique structural constructions that comic books possess.

This chapter in the graphic novel/series uses this technique to allow the reader to understand what it's like to see the world through Jon's eyes - jumping around out of order. The comic book page allows us to understand it, but this is very, very difficult, if not impossible to recreate in the linear, time based medium of film. Some films use split screen (e.g Ang Lee's Hulk movie) but you can't linger on the screen with that in the same way you can with a comic book. Time, in comics, is both moving and frozen, whereas film has a run-time that inexorably keeps moving even if the frame is static. Any 'pause' is artificial.

Which is why this episode, for me, is phenomenal. Not because it fails to recreate something that is very difficult/nigh impossible to formally recreate in terms of time manipulation, but because despite that, it creates a coherent story which moves the entire TV series both forward and backwards through time via its narrative.

Yes, there's repetition. Yes, there's juxtaposition. Yes there's a lot of exposition. And yes they may seem redundant, but these are entirely the point. Dr Manhattan's perception is all of these things. And frankly, trying to create that effect means that some people's millage may vary. Some will feel it's too expository, some will think it doesn't move enough, others will say it's too hand holdy and others will say it moves too quickly. But there's no way to avoid that. The creators did an incredible job with the limitations (time, budget, medium) that were there to allow for a episode which makes sense of what came before it - and it was always going to be, somehow, too much of one thing to some, and not enough of the other, for others.

(Speaking of limitations, are people really expecting the SFX of a TV series - even one filmed just under 10 years later - to match that of a Zack Snyder movie? C'mon, now.)

I honestly went into this series wanting to hate it, for many reasons. Instead, it's turning out to be one of the most well crafted and brilliant TV series I've seen all year. The level of thought and thematic construction to mimic the comic has been staggering from start to finish.

nail on the head with this post.

i'm just stunned this show had no business being this good.

Last edited:

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why there's a bit of confusion and frustration around the Dr Manhattan determinism paradox ("why did he stand in front of the teleporter if he knew he would be teleported?" Etc) - this is one of the many factors why Alan Moore and others consider the original series unfilmable.

Consider this page:

As a very small sample of the structure of the comic book series, Dr Manhattan sees the entire page in one go. As we do, as comic book readers. We perceive the time jump, the repetition, the transition between photo and Mars, the differences between the state of time where the photo was taken and where Jon is now, and his inner monologue which also leaps between chronology, all at once. Yes, we read it linearly, but we don't have to (which can be confusing - and thus the point). And once we finish the page, we can jump to any panel we wish without doing anything but moving our eyes, and also perceive the entire page as a whole.

Watchmen, the comic book series, is using this technique all the time (part of the reason why the 9 panel grid structure is so vital to it).

The reader acts as Dr Manhattan. Taking in the narrative, aware of it, but never being able to change it.

This chapter in the graphic novel/series uses this technique to allow the reader to understand what it's like to see the world through Jon's eyes - jumping around out of order. The comic book page allows us to understand it, but this is very, very difficult, if not impossible to recreate in the linear, time based medium of film. Some films use split screen (e.g Ang Lee's Hulk movie) but you can't linger on the screen with that in the same way you can with a comic book. Time, in comics, is both moving and frozen, whereas film has a run-time that inexorably keeps moving even if the frame is static. Any 'pause' is artificial.

Which is why this episode, for me, is phenomenal. Not because it fails to recreate something that is very difficult/nigh impossible to formally recreate in terms of time manipulation, but because despite that, it creates a coherent story which moves the entire TV series both forward and backwards through time via its narrative.

Yes, there's repetition. Yes, there's juxtaposition. Yes there's a lot of exposition. And yes they may seem redundant, but these are entirely the point. Dr Manhattan's perception is all of these things. And frankly, trying to create that effect means that some people's millage may vary. Some will feel it's too expository, some will think it doesn't move enough, others will say it's too hand holdy and others will say it moves too quickly. But there's no way to avoid that. The creators did an incredible job with the limitations (time, budget, medium) that were there to allow for a episode which makes sense of what came before it - and it was always going to be, somehow, too much of one thing to some, and not enough of the other, for others.

(Speaking of limitations, are people really expecting the SFX of a TV series - even one filmed just under 10 years later - to match that of a Zack Snyder movie? C'mon, now.)

I honestly went into this series wanting to hate it, for many reasons. Instead, it's turning out to be one of the most well crafted and brilliant TV series I've seen all year. The level of thought and thematic construction to mimic the comic has been staggering from start to finish.

My man.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just noticed Jon as a kid stealing an apple and eating it before witnessing, what would later be his templates for Adam and Eve, about to have sex.

Farmboy

Oct 27, 2017
Another masterful episode, cementing this show as an awesome companion piece to the graphic novel. Hope it sticks the landing. I'm confident it will.

Oct 25, 2017
There's something I've always found remarkable about that notion of amor fati, or however you want to call it, that if you had foreknowledge of everything, you'd accept it and do it, because doing so means you're not passively at the mercy of Fate, but you embrace it to be, in a way, on equal footing, as you're a part of it. I'll go on a limb and assume that's the kind of thing Moore had in mind. That's how I've always seen Manhattan, and part of why I loved this episode.

This, precisely. Moore talks about how determinism shows you who you are. Are you going to do something to change/help things, or are you going to go with the flow? You're not changing anything in the grand scheme of things, but you're finding out where you fit in and who you, as an individual, you are. I found it fucking fascinating.

Side note: He has some wonderful thoughts on Lovecraft towards the end of the interview.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oof, good, because it took me until the end of the third season of Rick & Morty to realize there were...

Deleted member 61469

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2019
I don't get the complaints about Jon and his supposed fatalism. As far as I understood, he can't really predict the future. He is just experiencing it at the same time as the past or any other time. Him going out to save Angela is probably the reason he got hit by the cannon in the first place. He got blindsided. If he sidesteps and the cannon misses, he couldn't have experienced it or known about it at that time.

He was talking to Angela and her Grandfather both at the same time. If he knew he was going to get hit by the cannon, it means it already happened and he is experiencing it from the future. Avoiding it isn't possible because otherwise he couldn't really experience it in the future.

Anyway, thats what I got out of it.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Watching that scene with Adrian in his cell, trying to get out of Paradise, it hit me that he was a bit of a twist on Lucifer, who absolutely didn't want to rule in Heaven, but who'd rather struggle on Earth, earning his way to the top. The romantic imagery in that cell conjured that fallen angel look.

Love this idea. The idea that he killed millions to save billions fits with this image of an archangel. Manhattan and Veidt chatting like old friends in Karnak, it is like two supreme beings deciding the fate of the lesser folk.

Nov 8, 2017
Anyway, thats what I got out of it.

The show is wobbly on certain things with it, like how in some scenes it's fatalistic and nothing can be changed, but then in other scenes he's like "oh you have to see me here, because it will be important later" or "I need to recruit you in 2009 because in 2019 I'll need your help". That is to say, sometimes he takes advantage of retro-causality and sometimes he doesn't, but there's no clear reason why, except that it's because the author decreed that in one scene he would cleverly plot to lift him up by his own bootstraps based on future info of what he needed, and in the other scene he would stand still while he knew a cannon would fire at him and he could easily teleport away.

This is a problem with all stable time loops in general but the harder the show leans into it the more distracting it's going to be for me, personally.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So what does Era think of the theory that Manhattan gave Will Reeves that theoretical food to give him powers? That part of the dialogue wasn't there for anything. Reeves eats a boiled egg while being interrogated by Angela and says he has powers. Theory passed off as a joke by Panda earlier would be totally Lindeloff. Theres also the mystery of what Angela will hate him for once she learns the truth according to him. Possibly being involved in his death by Manhattans design?

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Consider this page:

Wonderful post, thank you!

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

Consider this page:

This is a fantastic post.

Oct 25, 2017
Hm. Forgive me if I'm a little overserved here, (beause I am), but so let's say Keene is successful in transferring Jon's powers to himself. Could the catch be that he doesn't understand the limitations that come with that power? We just spent an entire episode having it hammered into our heads that Jon, despite all his omniscient power, cannot change anything substantial. So if Keene does go blue, and ends up with all those powers, do we find out that he can't actually change anything, despite his limitless power?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Hm. Forgive me if I'm a little overserved here, (beause I am), but so let's say Keene is successful in transferring Jon's powers to himself. Could the catch be that he doesn't understand the limitations that come with that power? We just spent an entire episode having it hammered into our heads that Jon, despite all his omniscient power, cannot change anything substantial. So if Keene does go blue, and ends up with all those powers, do we find out that he can't actually change anything, despite his limitless power?
I forget, did Keene say he was going to transfer the power to himself? I know the plan is to steal Jon's power, but is Keene going to be Klanhattan or is that still unclear?

Oct 25, 2017
The problem for me with Jon wittingly walking right into a trap doesn't stem from a lack of understanding of how he perceives time, and always follows his line, but rather from how in the comic he still acted logically despite his adherence to fate. Veidt produces tachyons to prevent Jon from foreseeing his plan with the squid, and hence from being able to prevent it. We certainly see smaller examples of him knowing he will come to experience something and then still being surprised by it when it eventually happens, like when Laurie leaves him for Dan, and similar moments in this episode work well. But him standing out in the open in front of a weapon and giving a dramatic goodbye doesn't accord with how I think he would approach the situation, even without foreknowledge of the result.

Compare this with his failure to prevent The Comedian from killing a pregnant woman, where his lack of action isn't suggested solely to come from his knowing it was always going to happen, but also from his increasing distance from humanity. There's far more nuance and room for interpretation around his motivation, or lack thereof. Here it kind of just reads like "because love".

The show is rich in theme but too often it feels like the writers are bending events and character motivation to fit their framework, often past the point of relatability, and it frequently strikes me as mechanistic. Case in point, the show really hasn't sold me on the idea that Jon would suddenly have a change of heart and return to earth to fall in love. He's fated to do so, yes, but again why would his character progress to that point, irrespective of whether he could see it ahead of time? There's a way to make this work, I'm sure, but it just seems to slot far too neatly into place, and I then can't properly empathise with the character.

I probably come off like I hate it, which I don't; it's the first thing I want to sit down and watch on Monday when all the big shows drop episodes. I guess I'm just struggling with it because I'm not seeing the brilliance others very clearly are. Not quite all the way loving something when all signs suggest you should can be confusing, haha.

Oct 25, 2017
I forget, did Keene say he was going to transfer the power to himself? I know the plan is to steal Jon's power, but is Keene going to be Klanhattan or is that still unclear?

We're meant to believe full on Klanhattan at this point, yes. But I feel like this episode was supposed to show us clearly that there are limitations to Jon's power.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Which is about the same time Lady Trieu bought the farm house in time for the meteor strike?
I can't find the source but IIRC the writers confirmed the meteor strike happened in 2019, even though the way that scene was edited made it seem like Trieu bought the land in the past and built the clock on it. which would mean...
Doing a quick search online it looks like SpaceX claims it can make the trip from Earth to Europa in three years. So the timeline checks out I think if Veidt returns in the final ep.
the object that landed is almost surely veidt. and maybe he and trieu will twist this all again to defeat 7K, but then create a Veidt-hattan?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
And then it's revealed that the tachyons don't prevent Manhattan from seeing the future, it shows him a future used to direct his actions by making him believe it is inevitable. He was Veidt's puppet all along.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this series is hands down fantastic i`m impressed this episode was the cherry on top. I have so many theories right now i can't even...
Congratulations Lindelof with this and Leftovers your redeeeeeemed

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom

Consider this page:

The bar Angela and M meet in is also the very same location that the Doc and Comedian quote took place in, further tying it all together.

3psipxbje9341.jpg
wow.

that was one of my big questions of the episode. Why would Dr. M even be there in the first place.