• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I came into this thread simply to praise the episode last night. Was fucking brilliant all around. And although I only perused real quick, apparently a lot of people did not feel the same. That blows my mind but to each their own. I truly thought it was fantastic how it addressed Dr Manhattan being omnipresent. Plus that fucking episode title.
Just feel like the show has gotten better and better with each episode.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I came into this thread simply to praise the episode last night. Was fucking brilliant all around. And although I only perused real quick, apparently a lot of people did not feel the same. That blows my mind but to each their own. I truly thought it was fantastic how it addressed Dr Manhattan being omnipresent. Plus that fucking episode title.

it was one of the best episodes of TV i've ever seen. this series is a gift.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I do agree that the causality is a bit iffy on this one. For instance grandfather knew about the KKK closet because of Angela and Angela knew about it because of grandfather...but what is the source of information?

I figured Angela planted the idea which causes Will to do the digging, and finding the proof/source of information. We know he wasn't innocent based on the actions of his wife most likely, and the KKK robe.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Killing a bunch of guys and then letting himself get captured for no good reason other than that it was "written in the stars".
(Yes, there's an episode left, he might have a good reason to do all that, but see what I'm replying to.)

Dude, I already explained this to you. He doesn't get captured because he is fatalistic. He gets captured because he was already captured.

You might as well complain about why Angela and him were together at all if he doesn't love her until "the moment."

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I figured Angela planted the idea which causes Will to do the digging, and finding the proof/source of information. We know he wasn't innocent based on the actions of his wife most likely, and the KKK robe.
Yea but Angela got the info from him in the first place when he asked her to do digging in the closet. That's the paradox, there's no origin of information there.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do agree that the causality is a bit iffy on this one. For instance grandfather knew about the KKK closet because of Angela and Angela knew about it because of grandfather...but what is the source of information?

They equate it to the chicken and egg as you need one for the other, but one has to have come before the other. However chicken and egg are biological process and it is possible for both of them to have come into existence at the same time. Information on the other hand is different as the only reason this information relates to Manhattan is because Angela tells him.

Yea. Tbf anytime any story deals with non linear time, some people have issues with it because they try to apply logic of linear time to it. Happens when you try to explain time dilation too, because "time is time" they say. But it really shows how bounded our thoughts and logic are to linear time. While time dialation is a scientific principle that's explained and observable, something fictional like Dr. Manhattan is always going to cause even more issues.

Causality does not exist in this universe.

Dr. Manhattan is with Angela because he falls in love with her 10 years into the relationship.

Then your question is, why would they be in a relationship for 10 years if he didn't love her?

The answer is, this timeline where he doesn't know that he loves her doesn't exist.

Jon knows everything that will happen to him in his life, there is no original timeline where he didn't know what's coming. Everything that he does is informed by knowledge of his entire life. Its all a big fucking paradox.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Yea but Angela got the info from him in the first place when he asked her to do digging in the closet. That's the paradox, there's no origin of information there.
Correct, it is a time paradox. Like the compass on Lost, the entirety of The Terminator or '—All You Zombies—', so on.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember if it was like this way in the comic but I thought it was a nice touch in how they depicted Jon's surprised reaction to when he learns something new, even though it was something he had already always known. Like the moment he learns something is the only time in his life when he simultaneously experiences knowing and not knowing.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

A lot of the complaints about the episode are overblown because it really comes down to people not being able to fully grasp what's happening, but also complaining about too much exposition which is ironic to say the least lol

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
One thing bugging me is she saw so much of his life with the nostalgia but not the meeting with Dr. Manhattan?

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I don't remember if it was like this way in the comic but I thought it was a nice touch in how they depicted Jon's surprised reaction to when he learns something new, even though it was something he had already always known. Like the moment he learns something is the only time in his life when he simultaneously experiences knowing and not knowing.

It happens in the comic too, when Laurie tells him she loves Dan now

One thing bugging me is she saw so much of his life with the nostalgia but not the meeting with Dr. Manhattan?

I have a feeling that each pill is a single memory, so it makes sense he didn't put that in the bottle (he meant for Angela to take the pills so he choose the specific memories he wanted her to see) and that's why you shouldn't take more than one at a single time

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Lady Trieu creates the Nostalgia pills doesn't she? So it might be the case that she didn't create a pill for that memory.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Lady Trieu creates the Nostalgia pills doesn't she? So it might be the case that she didn't create a pill for that memory.
From what I understand the way it works is that the pills only contain memories you want to contain, as the whole process involves recalling the memory which is then put into the pill. So it could simply be a matter of Will not choosing to put that memory in a pill.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Nostalgia memories are selected memories.

HUBSIcn.jpg

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, and considering her awards and trajectory it feels almost a joke to write this, but Regina King is a damn good actress.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Kill/teleport, its the same point. He's now in a cage where he's meant to die. In the GN he never kept his motivations a secret, so if its actually his plan to be caught and killed for the greater good it's stupid that the show is hiding that from us.
Maybe he's just resolved to fate as a man who sees times as entirely fixed?

Most do praise it. We just have a couple of talkative people who didn't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I can understand why there's a bit of confusion and frustration around the Dr Manhattan determinism paradox ("why did he stand in front of the teleporter if he knew he would be teleported?" Etc) - this is one of the many factors why Alan Moore and others consider the original series unfilmable.

Consider this page:

1c3710006a84cbfd25c2081f052498cf._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

As a very small sample of the structure of the comic book series, Dr Manhattan sees the entire page in one go. As we do, as comic book readers. We perceive the time jump, the repetition, the transition between photo and Mars, the differences between the state of time where the photo was taken and where Jon is now, and his inner monologue which also leaps between chronology, all at once. Yes, we read it linearly, but we don't have to (which can be confusing - and thus the point). And once we finish the page, we can jump to any panel we wish without doing anything but moving our eyes, and also perceive the entire page as a whole.

Watchmen, the comic book series, is using this technique all the time (part of the reason why the 9 panel grid structure is so vital to it).

The reader acts as Dr Manhattan. Taking in the narrative, aware of it, but never being able to change it.

This is one of the unique structural constructions that comic books possess.

This chapter in the graphic novel/series uses this technique to allow the reader to understand what it's like to see the world through Jon's eyes - jumping around out of order. The comic book page allows us to understand it, but this is very, very difficult, if not impossible to recreate in the linear, time based medium of film. Some films use split screen (e.g Ang Lee's Hulk movie) but you can't linger on the screen with that in the same way you can with a comic book. Time, in comics, is both moving and frozen, whereas film has a run-time that inexorably keeps moving even if the frame is static. Any 'pause' is artificial.

Which is why this episode, for me, is phenomenal. Not because it fails to recreate something that is very difficult/nigh impossible to formally recreate in terms of time manipulation, but because despite that, it creates a coherent story which moves the entire TV series both forward and backwards through time via its narrative.

Yes, there's repetition. Yes, there's juxtaposition. Yes there's a lot of exposition. And yes they may seem redundant, but these are entirely the point. Dr Manhattan's perception is all of these things. And frankly, trying to create that effect means that some people's millage may vary. Some will feel it's too expository, some will think it doesn't move enough, others will say it's too hand holdy and others will say it moves too quickly. But there's no way to avoid that. The creators did an incredible job with the limitations (time, budget, medium) that were there to allow for a episode which makes sense of what came before it - and it was always going to be, somehow, too much of one thing to some, and not enough of the other, for others.

(Speaking of limitations, are people really expecting the SFX of a TV series - even one filmed just under 10 years later - to match that of a Zack Snyder movie? C'mon, now.)

I honestly went into this series wanting to hate it, for many reasons. Instead, it's turning out to be one of the most well crafted and brilliant TV series I've seen all year. The level of thought and thematic construction to mimic the comic has been staggering from start to finish.
well-stated.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The complaints on this show are wild, like some people want all the answers up front. Some people are twisting themselves to try and out clever the narrative, and some folks didn't pay attention to the exposition enough to catch what the hell was going on.

Show is hitting GOAT status. I love how it uses it's medium to do the original justice without having to hamstring itself.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
The complaints on this show are wild, like some people want all the answers up front. Some people are twisting themselves to try and out clever the narrative, and some folks didn't pay attention to the exposition enough to catch what the hell was going on.

Show is hitting GOAT status. I love how it uses it's medium to do the original justice without having to hamstring itself.

I'm not sure why Erigu still bothers with this shit. Dude did nothing but bitch and moan throughout the entirety of Leftovers about how horrible Lindelof was yet watched the entire series and then decided to watch all of Watchmen, and then complain about it.

For someone who hates Damon Lindelof so much they certainly watch more of his stuff than most people.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
now someone tell me, who is Angela? feel like I missed something, but the show wasn't very clear.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't the overall plot of the mysteries that make this show watchable for me. That actual story must be taking place over a few days, I thought it's mostly pretty straightforward.

As with the book, the plot is the least interesting aspect of it. It's all the themes and ideas explored along the way.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Causality does not exist in this universe.

Dr. Manhattan is with Angela because he falls in love with her 10 years into the relationship.

Then your question is, why would they be in a relationship for 10 years if he didn't love her?

The answer is, this timeline where he doesn't know that he loves her doesn't exist.

Jon knows everything that will happen to him in his life, there is no original timeline where he didn't know what's coming. Everything that he does is informed by knowledge of his entire life. Its all a big fucking paradox.
That's a different thing because that pertains to Manhattan himself who experiences time all at once, and in that manner it makes sense that there is no causality...for him. Angela and Will don't experience time the way he does, and the information regarding the closet had nothing to do with Manhattan other than him merely being the messenger of that information between the two parties.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Same when he's making pancakes and eggs, he says it's important. We never get to hear his side of story and what he wants to share with Angela. She keeps interrupting and disrupting him until he's teleported.
You mean like telling the story about him getting the bible from Angela, trying to break bread with her, than walk on water...

So he gets dispersed next episode, and will be resurrected in his tomb, the intrinsic field subtractor at Karnak?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand why there's a bit of confusion and frustration around the Dr Manhattan determinism paradox ("why did he stand in front of the teleporter if he knew he would be teleported?" Etc) - this is one of the many factors why Alan Moore and others consider the original series unfilmable.

Consider this page:

As a very small sample of the structure of the comic book series, Dr Manhattan sees the entire page in one go. As we do, as comic book readers. We perceive the time jump, the repetition, the transition between photo and Mars, the differences between the state of time where the photo was taken and where Jon is now, and his inner monologue which also leaps between chronology, all at once. Yes, we read it linearly, but we don't have to (which can be confusing - and thus the point). And once we finish the page, we can jump to any panel we wish without doing anything but moving our eyes, and also perceive the entire page as a whole.

Watchmen, the comic book series, is using this technique all the time (part of the reason why the 9 panel grid structure is so vital to it).

The reader acts as Dr Manhattan. Taking in the narrative, aware of it, but never being able to change it.

This chapter in the graphic novel/series uses this technique to allow the reader to understand what it's like to see the world through Jon's eyes - jumping around out of order. The comic book page allows us to understand it, but this is very, very difficult, if not impossible to recreate in the linear, time based medium of film. Some films use split screen (e.g Ang Lee's Hulk movie) but you can't linger on the screen with that in the same way you can with a comic book. Time, in comics, is both moving and frozen, whereas film has a run-time that inexorably keeps moving even if the frame is static. Any 'pause' is artificial.

Which is why this episode, for me, is phenomenal. Not because it fails to recreate something that is very difficult/nigh impossible to formally recreate in terms of time manipulation, but because despite that, it creates a coherent story which moves the entire TV series both forward and backwards through time via its narrative.

Yes, there's repetition. Yes, there's juxtaposition. Yes there's a lot of exposition. And yes they may seem redundant, but these are entirely the point. Dr Manhattan's perception is all of these things. And frankly, trying to create that effect means that some people's millage may vary. Some will feel it's too expository, some will think it doesn't move enough, others will say it's too hand holdy and others will say it moves too quickly. But there's no way to avoid that. The creators did an incredible job with the limitations (time, budget, medium) that were there to allow for a episode which makes sense of what came before it - and it was always going to be, somehow, too much of one thing to some, and not enough of the other, for others.

(Speaking of limitations, are people really expecting the SFX of a TV series - even one filmed just under 10 years later - to match that of a Zack Snyder movie? C'mon, now.)

I honestly went into this series wanting to hate it, for many reasons. Instead, it's turning out to be one of the most well crafted and brilliant TV series I've seen all year. The level of thought and thematic construction to mimic the comic has been staggering from start to finish.

A+ post start to finish, and that last paragraph is me too. The only Lindelof thing I has seen was Prometheus before this.

Oct 25, 2017

Consider this page:

Excellent post.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
The determination of Manhattan is completely consistent with showing that he's a victim to a predetermined future of knowledge that doesn't influence his actions... until he decides to visit Angela's grandfather.

That broke the logic of the episode for me.