• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 8, 2017
Wait, the way Cal was turned back into Dr. Manhattan, doesn't that tie in to the joke Laurie told in the phonecall to him?

Indeed, that was the first thing I thought of. Unsure if she had any knowledge of it. It's super wierd that she would tell such an odd joke without it, but she also didn't seem to act like she didn't think he was actually on Mars still.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
That twist though. Just went back to that moment in this thread, fun to read haha.

Curious to see how he'll look, the movie isn't perfect but it nailed Manhattan's look for me.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This show remains awesome. I loved that Dr. Manhattan twist. I guessed he was Cal the second it was revealed he's been posing as a human.

A hot man with a rare form of amnesia? The shoe fits!

Granted, the foreshadowing in the last part of the episode was intended to be obvious, I'm sure.

Crudup in general was fantastic. Manhattan, the Comedian and Rorschach were spot on for the film.
For sure.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
That twist though. Just went back to that moment in this thread, fun to read haha.

Curious to see how he'll look, the movie isn't perfect but it nailed Manhattan's look for me.

Movie Manhattan was absolute perfection in every way, I don't expect the show to even come close to it. In the preview it was already clear he doesn't glow or have any of the cool VFX he did in the movie.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Movie Manhattan was absolute perfection in every way, I don't expect the show to even come close to it. In the preview it was already clear he doesn't glow or have any of the cool VFX he did in the movie.
Well in the preview he would be hiding his glow right?

He was definitely glowing in the reflection in Angela's eyes at the end of this ep.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, should we have been aware of that whole "amnesia" thing of Abar's husband prior to them mentioning it?

Because the upcoming 'reveal' at the end of the episode was immediately apparent once Trieau said that Manhattan is in Tulsa, disguised as a regular human...

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Realizing the Cal = Manhattan theories might be correct:
source.gif

The sudden realization that Angela knew Cal was Manhattan all along:
giphy.gif

...I think I was literally doing that head motion by the final shot of the episode, good lord. A twist within a twist.

All the Angela and Laurie scenes take on a whole new subtext with Angela knowing who Cal was all along. Good lord. Let alone the scenes with Angela and Will talking about Manhattan, Cal meeting Laurie...

I'm amused that I first got on board with Cal = Manhattan train was because a) Laurie found him attractive, b) Yahya Abdul-Mateen is a god in human form. Seemed legit to me.

The rest of the episode was fantastic, and so much to process. Trieu and her daughter, Trieu's motivations (don't believe she's working to save Manhattan), Angela's backstory, Angela meeting her grandmother (not sure if June's death was just Really Bad Timing or Manhattan had something to do with it so he could one day meet Angela - timey wimey something something), the incredible court room scene with Veidt (instead of kangaroo court = piglet court), etc. You better have some plans to help save the day, Looking Glass! I have to admit I found the trap door scene with Laurie so unexpectedly funny that I can understand why she wouldn't have reacted quick enough - I doubt she believed what was happening, either. I loved the back and forth between Laurie and Jane, too.

This fucking show. The biggest quality surprise I've had in years. The show's rewatch value is immense already, I can't wait to see what else had already been foreshadowed after the finale.

Also:

Oh holy fucking shit. Someone mentioned this blacksploitation movie on reddit. Fucking incredible.

Abar-the-First-Black-Superman.jpg

oh my goddddd

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
didn't like how she just outed Angela's grandfather being Hooded Justice to just anyone. Feels like that's a secret that isn't hers to tell, much less telling it to potential suspects and racist criminals for no reason.
That, and her theory regarding the conspiracy. That was one of many really, really stupid scenes.

Hot Priest

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 11, 2019
I was just re-watching the Dr. M origin from the movie, its so funny how unfeeling he is about everything and doesn't even notice the passage of time... except for when it comes to women's looks. "Janey says im chasing jailbait, that its because shes getting older. she's right, shes aging more noticeably every day"

Might also be why he never talked to Laurie and fell for Angela, lol

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This show delivers !
Someone did call it a few episodes ago though that Cal is Manhattan due to the dildo.

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I don't get this. Dr. Manhattan is not a savior. He is really an oppressor. He won the unjust Vietnam war and subjected the citizens to a similar oppressor behavior that is mimicked in the visions from nostalgia as the white supremacists in America. Although he is ultimately misguided, he is not a white savior trope at all. He is almost the antithesis of it.

Even better. The oppressor is now seeking for atonement. Enough good deeds will wash my sins away type of concept. I don't know just a thought.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
I never thought we'd actually see Dr Manhattan but that's because I'm so set on just remembering the movie and sometimes forget it's based on the books so he doesn't even have to look like the movie version. I wonder if he'll showcase even a lil power.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they stick the landing with this twist, because on the face of it it seems like such a clumsy way of working Dr. Manhattan into the story.

I thought they had neatly carved out a corner of the Watchmen universe to explore. Angela Abar had enough going on without being married to a physical manistation of a god.

There's no way it gets less ridiculous from here.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly what's going on there is not happening in actual reality - likely some kind of a prison as others have surmised. But there are no stakes to it whatsoever—so why do we even need to see it?
I've been thinking it was done in a matter similar to Black Freighter, a story within a story. Hell, some parts of his imprisonment reminds me so much of that part in Watchmen.

Also, if every episode sums up every year of Veidt's life, that probably means that we would start to see him intersect by the next episode.

If my assumption is correct, and that was his 7th year in captivity after disappearing in 2012, by the 8th episode is Veidt in 2019 or how he finally enters the picture in present time.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So if whatever fell at the farm wasn't Cal like most people suspected, what was it?

Also, where does Lube Man slip into all of this?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Maybe I'm an idiot but this dildo theory lol. Did people really believe that Cal was Dr M because the dildo was called Excalibur? There were hints for sure like I was always guessing how Angela survived the White Night when a 7th Kavalry member had her in his sights. Always assumed Judd had something to do with it since he also survived.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
So if whatever fell at the farm wasn't Cal like most people suspected, what was it?

Also, where does Lube Man slip into all of this?

During Veidt's trial they mentioned it was the 365th day of the trial, so the Veidt scenes are not taking place in the same timeline as the rest of the show. My guess is that his sentence from the trial is to be encased in gold and sent to Earth. That's what fell at the farm and Lady Trieu now has him in the clock tower. I'm also guessing he is her father as she told Angela her father isn't there, but will be soon.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what to think of Cal being Dr. Manhattan. My immediate thought, and fear, when Trieu said Jon was on Earth living as a human was that it was actually Angela who was Dr. Manhattan in disguise, which wouldn't have made any sense lol but worse than that would've really ruined such a great character. Thankfully that wasn't the case, but having her married to Dr. Manhattan I feel elevates into her being a bigger central part of the familiar Watchmen mythos than the relatively more everywoman character she has been until now.

Also, for as much as race is such a fundamental part of this story and for how unique this show has been in tackling white supremacy and real-life history like the Tulsa/Black Wall Street massacre -- an event that actual history classes fail to address let alone other TV shows -- predicating one of your biggest twists on a (formerly) white man live in disguise as a black man just seems...off.

The show has been killing it otherwise so I'll give Lindelof, et al. the benefit of the doubt here and see where they go with this.

During Veidt's trial they mentioned it was the 365th day of the trial, so the Veidt scenes are not taking place in the same timeline as the rest of the show.
Right, on the Veidt timeline of the show, every episode happens a year after the last one. So, assuming Veidt's inevitable crossing over with the main story happens in Angela's present day, that would mean every one of his scenes so far is happening years before the rest of the show.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm totally at a loss here. I haven't wat Get Out.
Get Out is about
Old white people implanting their consciousness into young black people to avoid dying of old age. It's made extra horrifying because the black people are still conscious in their bodies, they just have no control.

Was Cal a real person who died or is he entirely fake?

Here's the medical report from this "accident". The last line is pretty funny.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Get Out is about
Old white people implanting their consciousness into young black people to avoid dying of old age. It's made extra horrifying because the black people are still conscious in their bodies, they just have no control.

Was Cal a real person who died or is he entirely fake?

Here's the medical report from this "accident". The last line is pretty funny.

Oh I see. I really should have watched Get Out before clicking in that though...

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
So how did people exactly knew the Cal twist?

My guess is something leaked from production. You have hundreds if not thousands of people with hands in this show. One early Reddit post (like ep 2) about Cal was so tenuous that it seemed as if the person was reaching for anything to seem credible. I'm all for internet sleuthing and I think people do some amazing work, but we also know for a fact that people are also in the loop and like to look internet smart.

Oct 25, 2017
There is not enough time to resolve all of these balls up in the air in any kind of coherent way. If they somehow manage to pull it off, I'll gladly eat crow, but I can't see how it is possible.

Clearly what's going on there is not happening in actual reality - likely some kind of a prison as others have surmised. But there are no stakes to it whatsoever—so why do we even need to see it?

The equivalent from the GN was a work of fiction that never directly tied in to the plot. It is there for thematic reasons, and to show a character's fate after the comic ended.