• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
In the comis Veldt goes to every length to cover up the squid, boat explosion, killing all his employees, etc.

Here he makes an tape... k

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

"I think that if Adrian Veidt is trying to escape from prison, that's not a good challenge for him. He's going to do that very easily — there's no prison that's going to hold Adrian Veidt, unless that prison is on Europa, a moon of Jupiter. Then it might be a little more challenging. I kind of felt like, if we're going to lock this guy up somewhere—and by Episode 5 we still don't know who locked him up and why—it's gonna have to be quite an overwhelming challenge for him to escape, so that felt like this was a good place to put him and throw away the key."

"What we're learning about Adrian Veidt is that every installment that we get of the nine episodes, there's only one episode where you don't get a Veidt installment — the storytelling, he didn't fit in there — but every other one you get [one]. And a year lapses in between each episode. It's a story told on a very, very large canvas, each installment taking place on another anniversary of another year that he has spent wherever the hell he's spending [it]."

Jan 15, 2018
In the comis Veldt goes to every length to cover up the squid, boat explosion, killing all his employees, etc.

I mean, the video was given exclusively to Robert Redford, 7 years after the event, and Veidt knew he wouldn't say anything since he was the whole reason the guy got elected. No one else saw it until enough time had passed that it didn't matter.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the video was given exclusively to Robert Redford, 7 years after the event, and Veidt knew he wouldn't say anything since he was the whole reason the guy got elected. No one else saw it until enough time had passed that it didn't matter.

But it does matter. We're seeing the effects of the video starting to play out now. And if the media got hold of it that could be the end of the squid threat.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017

It was blackmail on Redford. The same man that created the squid and killed millions created his presidency. To expose the conspiracy would destroy Redford and probably lock in another couple decades of the same Republican leadership that led humanity to the brink of annihilation under a term-unlimited Nixon.

Redford is basically given the same choice as the vigilantes at the end of the comic: comply and "save humanity", or rebel, and have those millions have died for nothing and doom humanity to self-destruction — or rather, get yourself destroyed in the attempt. Because, yeah, zero chance Ozy would let that happen.

Given the planning and specificity that went into "President Redford", it's not a stretch to say that Ozy knew his answer before he even presented the question. That being said, the tape was probably meant exclusively for Redford, and as we've seen — through Rorschach's journal getting out, through the failure of attaining his envisioned utopia (or even moderate political changes thanks to McConnell-esque figures per Peteypedia), through the severe lingering trauma of the squid — Ozy doesn't really have a great grasp of how easily the minor unpredictability of minor people can completely fuck up his plans.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I could see Veidt having the hubris to make that tape. By the time he made it, the world had probably changed so much that no one would care what some aging ex-superhero said. It's not like he had a lot of faith in people to decipher the truth to begin with.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019
I honestly think the tape should have been some secret back up recording of night owls from the confrontation at end of the comic, that the powers that be got their hands on when he was arrested in 95.

I get ozy being full of himself but it's big point in the comic he genuinely doesn't want anyone to know

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
This episode was amazing. This friday the Watchmen compendium will be in my hands and I will finally read it.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
A bit silly for sure.

Also comic Veidt had a moment of potential doubt after the confrontation about his actions, if I recall. Here, nothing seems to indicate that.
In the end of the comic he's really looking towards Dr. Manhattan to say, "you did the right thing", like Ozy doubted it was all worth it in the end.

It mirrors the black freighter comic in that the man attempting to save everyone becomes the very monster he was trying to fight. And worse, welcomes it after realising he's too far gone; he sacrificed everything for this destination, so he has to see it through.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Proof of Lindelof knowing Watchmen really well

Pay attention to Veidts video as a certain episode of a TV show is called out except the episode title is not stated in order

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
curious how the Lady Trieu, seventh cavalry and Ozymandias storylines converge.

wonder if Will is the puppet master that is basically playing all sides

also, that preview next week looks NUTS. It looks like Lindelof is attempting to top the insanity of International Assassin. And looks like it will be spectacular showcase from Regina King.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was lukewarm on the show. Maybe because I really don't know anything about the universe aside from the movie, which I barely remember. But that was my favorite episode so far.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
can someone explain the security alarm to me?
It's a squid alarm. Not so much for the little ones, but in case another big one like New York comes through. He was running a drill (probably randomized) to test his preparedness/time himself for how quickly he could get himself to the safety of his squid shelter. His alarm broke and wouldn't turn off because he had worn it out by running the drill over 500 times, which is like 60 years worth of usage at the recommended testing rate.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
loved how the hall of mirror saved LG, but ultimately made him paranoid and had to hide under the foil and how Laurie saw right through the mirror.

Loved the ending with the cover of Careless Whisper to echo the intro.

HotHamWater

Oct 25, 2017
Dorset, UK
Panda and Red Scare's passing conversation is pretty intriguing for all those Cal = Dr. Manhattan folk out there. Ozymandias shouting "I DID IT!" again was dope.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
The most unbelievable thing about the Ozy tape is that it is shown to Republican politicians who don't then expose its contents for political gain--even when doing so would blow up the world peace.

Oct 25, 2017
Veidt's an immensely arrogant person who by his own reasoning saved the world, even if it's after he's dead he's exactly the type of man who would want to leave behind some record for future generations to know it was him.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea I get it The Comedian murdered people but at least he seemed at peace with it and respected others. I know that sounds fucked up but hey he was an Alan Moore antihero.

His daughter is just a straight up jag off for really no reason. She's even cruel to people that are trying to help her. I just don't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea I get it The Comedian murdered people but at least he seemed at peace with it and respected others. I know that sounds fucked up but hey he was an Alan Moore antihero.

His daughter is just a straight up jag off for really no reason. She's even cruel to people that are trying to help her. I just don't get it.
I don't know, hurt people hurt people I guess. it's not fair to compare her to Comedian like that, Comedian is basically depraved indifference given human form.
Laurie's mean but she's not shooting pregnant women

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

What? The Comedian's like the worst of the lot. He has no code like Rorschach, no grand plan like Ozymandias, and no excuse like Doctor Manhattan; he's a murderous psychopath just because he can, and people put up with him because he's good at it.

2019 Watchmen Laurie's operating in a post-hero world, with 'heroes' that are really just protofascist enforcers doing the state's bidding. She's cynical as hell because she's seen it all.

There's no comparison between the two.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What? The Comedian's like the worst of the lot. He has no code like Rorschach, no grand plan like Ozymandias, and no excuse like Doctor Manhattan; he's a murderous psychopath just because he can, and people put up with him because he's good at it.

2019 Watchmen Laurie's operating in a post-hero world, with 'heroes' that are really just protofascist enforcers doing the state's bidding. She's cynical as hell because she's seen it all.

There's no comparison between the two.

The Comedian made the world work. You might not agree with him but he was making sure America won and Russia lost. Again, he's an incredibly fucked up character but he was in the right.

Oct 25, 2017
The Comedian made the world work. You might not agree with him but he was making sure America won and Russia lost. Again, he's an incredibly fucked up character but he was in the right.
No he wasn't he was literally just the perfect tool of Western imperialism he assassinated Kennedy, he shot protesters, burned Vietnamese soldiers, he sexually assaulted Laurie's mother. He was not making the world work he was actively making it worse for the benefit of politicians.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
No he wasn't he was literally just the perfect tool of Western imperialism he assassinated Kennedy, he shot protesters, burned Vietnamese soldiers, he sexually assaulted Laurie's mother. He was not making the world work he was actively making it worse for the benefit of politicians.

That's the thing though: all of those things we acknowledge as bad insured our way of life. That was kind of the point of the character. The US did those things in real life, and in the comic / movie the Comedian took that role.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Poor Looking glass, whole life since 11/2 a lie, and his world shattered, can't tell Sister why he gave her up and probably never will with that ending.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing though: all of those things we acknowledge as bad insured our way of life. That was kind of the point of the character. The US did those things in real life, and in the comic / movie the Comedian took that role.
Is that your statement implies that his actions were correct because they were similar to actions the US took in real life that's not a morally defensible position

Oct 25, 2017
Oh lord no, of course it's not defensible. That's the point. He's a monster but he did the same things we're literally sending soldiers and CIA agents over seas to do now.
Oh my bad when you said right in your initial comment I read that as like morally justifiable right. You meant right in terms of in line with actual U.S actions?