• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YawZah

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't really get what the big blue dildo was supposed to signal? That in this version she never moved on from John like she did in the comic and movie?

The writer Lila Byock, who also recruited Jean Smart, explained it in an interview.
To Byock, the blue dildo represents Laurie's own kind of "nostalgia for her sexual past."
"She's somebody who is so insistent about not being nostalgic and not having any reverence for her past as a costumed adventurer, and yet when she is all alone, we learn that she gets off literally by thinking about her past," Byock says. It's the opposite of the way she deals with her FBI underling Dale Petey's (Dustin Ingram) questions about her past at work, "although she does have him put on his mask when they have sex."
Lindelof dispatched Byock to take the actor out for martinis and convince her to take the job.

"It was the greatest moment of my life as a television writer," Byock says. "I think she was inclined to do it. She just wanted to understand what it is that's driving Laurie, what is this complicated mixture between someone who is both at war with her past and erotically interested in her past. She just wanted to hear me talk about it in a convincing way, over vodka and vermouth."

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain the brick joke? After watching this episode I watched Bojack Horseman that had the exact same joke with a gardener and bags of mulch. I don't get it. Is it a reference to something?

EDIT

Just to clarify, I understood all of the references to the Watchmen comic but the throwing the extra brick thing was pretty much the same as the Bojack joke where the extra bag of mulch was thrown over the interstate. :/

I haven't watched the Bojack episode but the typical brick joke has the setup of one joke that ends on the brick punchline and makes no sense. Then you wait a while for people to forget the first joke to tell them the second joke, and this joke has the brick from the first joke as its punchline, and this time its funny because you weren't expecting it.

So they did a meta brick joke between episode 2 and 3. Episode 2 the wheelchair guy gets lifted off into the sky in a car and it doesn't make any sense.

In Episode 3 this isn't even mentioned at all, until the end where the car (brick) is dropped as the unrelated punchline that reminds you of the second episode.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Wow. I didn't quite pickup that comparison of Laurie becoming The Comedian until watching an Easter Egg video

Thats so on point.

I haven't watched the Bojack episode but the typical brick joke has the setup of one joke that ends on the brick punchline and makes no sense. Then you wait a while for people to forget the first joke to tell them the second joke, and this joke has the brick from the first joke as its punchline, and this time its funny because you weren't expecting it.

So they did a meta brick joke between episode 2 and 3. Episode 2 the wheelchair guy gets lifted off into the sky in a car and it doesn't make any sense.

In Episode 3 this isn't even mentioned at all, until the end where the car (brick) is dropped as the unrelated punchline that reminds you of the second episode.

Brilliant.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017

Fire emoji.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Damn Laurie

1601eeca81df559c7ba16f39db22a148.jpg

yeeees thank for this.

Damn HBO has been killing it with their New Media game lol

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writer Lila Byock, who also recruited Jean Smart, explained it in an interview.

Wow this is so fucking obvious in retrospect. The dichotomy between how she presents a hostile attitude towards vigilantes in her professional life juxtaposed with her private reminiscing... brilliant. Can't wait to see how both sides of her affect each other.

Its been so long since a show was actually enjoyable to critically think about... and we're only getting 9 episodes :(

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
yeeees thank for this.

Damn HBO has been killing it with their New Media game lol
I missed it in the podcast but somebody up the page mentioned they're only doing one for every three episodes. So that's only three hours of this thing total and not really a "recap".

For what it's worth it's still a good listen. Lindelof at least goes deep into where the show's themes came from and then complained about how much virtue signaling it sounded like he was doing (so he made sure to involve plenty of people of colour in the writing process).

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Wow this is so fucking obvious in retrospect. The dichotomy between how she presents a hostile attitude towards vigilantes in her professional life juxtaposed with her private reminiscing... brilliant. Can't wait to see how both sides of her affect each other.

Its been so long since a show was actually enjoyable to critically think about... and we're only getting 9 episodes :(

Holy smokes.

Also just realizing this may be reference/throwback to Nite Owl. He had a similar issue in the comic iirc?

he was impotent and couldn't get it up or get off until they dressed as super heroes and fought crime again

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think Dr M threw the car, it being the same car from ep 2 but with Will missing. I figured it was a comedic coincidence.

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It's more of a puzzle than a real show, at this point, but it's kinda neat.

Re: the car, I'm fairly certain Manhattan had nothing to do with it being taken, but the fact that he threw a car at Lori that is useful to her investigation suggests he is keeping a closer tab on humanity than the show's characters realize. Maybe he feels a need to protect the peace that Veidt so monstrously procured?

Last edited:

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
the car was not from him. the amount of time it would take to throw that from Mars and also why would he have the car, etc - none of that follows.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Anyone notice in the credits that a guy named Darrell Snedger was listed as playing "Jon"? Is that supposed to be Dr. Manhattan? Maybe from the Esquire cover in Laurie's case?

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
So people here think Manhattan needs to throw a car? And he can't just make one appear anywhere?

Jon didn't know she was gonna call and be where she was when he knows and sees all of time.

Which part of he's a literal god aren't you getting?

Last edited:

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
the car was not from him. the amount of time it would take to throw that from Mars and also why would he have the car, etc - none of that follows.
He's basically omniscient and omnipotent. If he is trying to point Laurie in the direction of Angela/Will he could have easily teleported the car.

But I agree, I don't think it was from him.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
So people here think Manhattan needs to throw a car? And he can't just make one appears anywhere?

Jon didn't know she was gonna call and be where she was when he knows and sees all of time.

Which part of he's a literal god aren't you getting?
Maybe he's throwing the car to Laurie to give her evidence or something.

Oct 25, 2017
So I went and threw the closed captions on and it seems Adrian's horse's name is Eucephalus. I was hoping that would lead me in a certain direction, but unfortunately not. Also, the use of Habanera during that whole dictation/identity reveal scene was just ::chef's kiss::. I know it's not ALL Damon, but the way that dude used/uses classical music between Leftovers and this is so great.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
So I went and threw the closed captions on and it seems Adrian's horse's name is Eucephalus. I was hoping that would lead me in a certain direction, but unfortunately not. Also, the use of Habanera during that whole dictation/identity reveal scene was just ::chef's kiss::. I know it's not ALL Damon, but the way that dude used/uses classical music between Leftovers and this is so great.

Adrian's horse is named Boucephalos, after Alexander the Great's horse.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
best episode so far. Lindelof really nails these solo POV episodes

also I'm surprised I didn't catch onto Keene essentially being the Veidt of this story. That letter between Keene Sr and Crawford certainly adds more credence to the theory that's where the story is headed

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, they definitely insert Alexander references as much as possible, because Veldt is a comically pompous, self-aggrandizing asshole. That overwritten play last week had a mention of a Gordian knot or something like that.

I love that the worst karma Ozymandias could receive was just to age and slip into irrelevance while failing harder and harder.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this show.

It is slow, it all over the place, the action is Arrow level. It tries to merge multiple heroes, both past and present across America into one narrative and it is not working for me. It is also juggling multiple themes about racism, police, family, sci-fi, vigilantes... 3 episodes in and we have the fake mysteries: Manhattan, Wheelchair oldman, Englishman hero, Police Chief past.

The production quality is high, but I just don't see a cohesive show. Clearly I am not into Watchmen comics, but the movie, which was itself a little boated, was much more focused and enjoyable.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA

Yeah I don't get this criticism. We are a third of the way through the season, not everything is suppose to make sense. You can dislike the style, you can dislike the direction, but to call it "fake mysteries" is really odd to me. If its not your thing that's fine, but you are judging the story as if its suppose to be complete by episode 3 of 9.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't get this criticism. We are a third of the way through the season, not everything is suppose to make sense. You can dislike the style, you can dislike the direction, but to call it "fake mysteries" is really odd to me. If its not your thing that's fine, but you are judging the story as if its suppose to be complete by episode 3 of 9.
I blame binge watching.

CaptSpaulding

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Only 9 episodes? They haven't even finished introducing all the main characters (I think the Trieu lady will be introduced next ep). Do they even have enough time left to form a cohesive plot and tie up all the mysteries?

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like this show.

It is slow, it all over the place, the action is Arrow level. It tries to merge multiple heroes, both past and present across America into one narrative and it is not working for me. It is also juggling multiple themes about racism, police, family, sci-fi, vigilantes... 3 episodes in and we have the fake mysteries: Manhattan, Wheelchair oldman, Englishman hero, Police Chief past.

The production quality is high, but I just don't see a cohesive show. Clearly I am not into Watchmen comics, but the movie, which was itself a little boated, was much more focused and enjoyable.

I agree with your points. I just wished they spent more time moving the main plot forward.

I'm enjoying the show because the excellent production quality and because it's Watchmen so I'm expecting a great development but it is giving me True Detective season 2 vibes in terms of pacing.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I blame binge watching.

I think there's something to be said about the changing way we consume media, you're right. I also recognize not everyone likes Lindelof.

This show very much seems like one designed to be consumed one episode a week, so as to build discussion and hypothesizing. Which is very far removed from the Netflix method. And i like a number of Netflix shows, but they certainly go for different things.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't like this show.

The thing the comic is most known for, outside of superhero subversion, was the non-linear narrative which really didn't connect until the very end.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Three episodes in and this show is just amazing. It truly hits the right notes for a fan of the comic such as myself. I love what the creators have done with the old characters and their legacies. It's bold af.

I wonder if there are people here who aren't familiar with the source material or the movie, how are you liking this?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Manhattan imprisoning Veidt doesn't make much sense to me either. I don't know why Manhattan would waste his time or attention on Veidt, when he already said he no longer cares about humanity. Unless something major happened between Veidt and Manhattan that we are not aware of. And if he thought Veidt was a threat why wouldn't he have just vaporized him?

I still think that's Manhattan's caricature of Veidt. I'm probably wrong but I love the idea that he created his own version who doesn't actually act quite like the real one.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I understand that Laurie deeply longs for her past as a vigilante, but didn't she hated the sex with Dr. Manhattan because he was acting distant?

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I'm gong to say again:

If you have not read Watchen then stop confusing the shit out of yourself and read it in the week before the next episode. This is not a show that will spoon feed you or you can read a summary or watch a recap video and keep up. It's not and you won't get it.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was posted earlier in the thread.

But here's the motion comic for anyone wants to catch up.

Oct 25, 2017
Only 9 episodes? They haven't even finished introducing all the main characters (I think the Trieu lady will be introduced next ep). Do they even have enough time left to form a cohesive plot and tie up all the mysteries?

Several critics have said the show comes together and explains most of it within the first 6 episodes. E5 specifically.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
You guys need to understand that the dildo is not about sex in a penitrative way. Stop looking at the superfcial for answers to your questions, that's not where the answers are.