• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Ozy scenes are actually happening in the present. Not that I actually have a particular reason for thinking that way, but for whatever reason, it just feels off.

I was pondering this too as I drove home today. His use of "analog" technology with the typewriters, vintage blasting machine (Looney Tunes "ACME-style" detonator) to trigger the incinerator chamber at the play, pocket watches is quite interesting for a futurist with a messiah complex. Them again Steve Jobs and Bill Gates didn't like their own children using computers and such. Unless he is in 2019 and all his current technology is in some kind of hidden underground facility and he uses the analog tech as a way of not being able to be tracked or simply because he enjoys the "beauty of the design" that you hear some users of those type of things say is the reason they use it over modern technology.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I was pondering this too as I drove home today. His use of "analog" technology with the typewriters, vintage blasting machine (Looney Tunes "ACME-style" detonator) to trigger the incinerator chamber at the play, pocket watches is quite interesting for a futurist with a messiah complex. Them again Steve Jobs and Bill Gates didn't like their own children using computers and such. Unless he is in 2019 and all his current technology is in some kind of hidden underground facility and he uses the analog tech as a way of not being able to be tracked or simply because he enjoys the "beauty of the design" that you hear some users of those type of things say is the reason they use it over modern technology.

I figure it's just part of the pocket world that Doctor Manhattan created here. Hence also tomato trees. It's a cartoon world because it's artificial.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

In this universe, most modern tech was banned. Hence no cell phones.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
In this universe, most modern tech was banned. Hence no cell phones.

Oh I know that, I've read the Peteypedia. I was talking about technology Veidt might only have access to, like biotech to grow his servants. Like I said in another post a while back the technology in this world is quite interesting. No cell phones and computers just starting to make a comeback in the government space, but they have full holographic projections in museums and DNA tests that can give you not only give you results, but search a database with other DNA for familial links within 24-48 hours

Katten

Oct 27, 2017
Slept on this for several reasons. But holy shit it starts strong.

And I did not know how much I needed to hear Jeremy Irons saying "It's the bee's knees".

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Thinking about "Veidt"/Jeremy Irons and his clones:

The last thing Dr. Manhattan did before leaving Earth was to casually say to Veidt that he might create some new life. I wonder if he saw this as some sort of challenge to rise to?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Did Veidt kill the clone because he was too dumb

Paraphrase from memory "there's so many things I wish occured to you"

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

The last thing Dr. Manhattan did before leaving Earth was to casually say to Veidt that he might create some new life. I wonder if he saw this as some sort of challenge to rise to?

That's my line of thinking and I'm sticking with it.

it's probably wrong.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still dont know if i actually like this show, i dont have the patience for pretentious shit anymore. This just reeks of the director/writter trying to be the smartest guy in the room

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It is stronger from a story point of view if he doesn't care about human life and kills Mr Philips every day, no matter what. It would show his total disregard of life better.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I definitely enjoy the craft of it, the music, all the subtle nods to both the comic book and the movie, but fuck me if I have any idea what's going on in this show (and yes, I've read the book and saw the movie numerous times).

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Alan Sepinwall thought this episode, though while still good, is the weakest of the sixth.

So if you loved this it supposedly gets even better.

Katten

Oct 27, 2017

We saw Dr. Manhattan tear down the exact castle Jeremy Irons lives in on Mars in a news segment in the first episode.We saw Angelas kid build the same castle in her room.

I think with the attachment to that watch, that Jeremy Irons is Dr. Manhattan experimenting with some of that life he might create.

He has tomato trees!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
We saw Dr. Manhattan tear down the exact castle Jeremy Irons lives in on Mars in a news segment in the first episode.We saw Angelas kid build the same castle in her room.

I think with the attachment to that watch, that Jeremy Irons is Dr. Manhattan experimenting with some of that life he might create.

He has tomato trees!

He seems too flippant to be Doc himself.

Oct 25, 2017
After the number of people Veidt killed in Watchmen he might have came a bit undone by the magnitude of his deeds. Living with the consequences may have been too much even for him to overcome, hence why he treats the clones that way.

He's ultimately a utilitarian, but it weighs on his conscious constantly, and he can't stop mulling over Dr. Manhattan's parting words to him thirty years ago. He's planning another false flag in the same vein as the original squid attack, which is what he's collecting the clone's corpses for, I think.

From the trailer last week:
I think the carnival scene is a bunch of clone corpses.

Nov 1, 2017
He's ultimately a utilitarian, but it weighs on his conscious constantly, and he can't stop mulling over Dr. Manhattan's parting words to him thirty years ago. He's planning another false flag in the same vein as the original squid attack, which is what he's collecting the clone's corpses for, I think.

From the trailer last week:
I think the carnival scene is a bunch of clone corpses.

Could be. It must be a hell of a thing to live with. It would be even worse for him if what he did was uncovered which it almost certainly was due to Rorschachs journal. He did that horrible deed, gets exposed and everything is undone. What a mind fuck that would be. It's why he's hiding, why the world thinks he must be dead by now as shown on a paper in the first episode. He probably faked his death to get away. What else could he do. Unless he is doing as you say in an attempt to fix things for a second time. A do over perhaps.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Could be. It must be a hell of a thing to live with. It would be even worse for him if what he did was uncovered which it almost certainly was due to Rorschachs journal. He did that horrible deed, gets exposed and everything is undone. What a mind fuck that would be. It's why he's hiding, why the world thinks he must be dead by now as shown on a paper in the first episode. He probably faked his death to get away. What else could he do. Unless he is doing as you say in an attempt to fix things for a second time. A do over perhaps.

I might be misremembering something, but the people in the show still treat the squid thing as a legit alien interference? They wouldn't if it was common knowledge that Veidt did it.

Oct 25, 2017

"Nothing lasts forever"

On top of that, his plans for a technological future were waylaid when society blamed technology and the web for potentially opening the portal that brought over the alien creatures. The short term goal of his actions worked, but with loads of unintended consequences and misinterpretation of his work.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
I believe the background stuff they released said that only fringe lunatics believed the journal. Some others think it was just a "government conspiracy" or false flag operation and this is all a measure of controlling the population. Add in some racial unrest and that's how you get the Seventh Kavalry.

Veidt in the show is currently so enigmatic it's hard to pin down exactly when/where/what/why he is even doing what he's doing, but I doubt it's running from the journal. How much he feels personally demonized by his own actions, though? That's worth exploring.

Nov 1, 2017
I might be misremembering something, but the people in the show still treat the squid thing as a legit alien interference? They wouldn't if it was common knowledge that Veidt did it.

Do they? I figured the reason people were running around wearing Rorschach mask was due to the journal getting out in the public and then misappropriated by a certain group of people who decided to use it for their own purposes. You might be right. It's currently a bit hard to say.

"Nothing lasts forever"

On top of that, his plans for a technological future were waylaid when society blamed technology and the web for potentially opening the portal that brought over the alien creatures. The short term goal of his actions worked, but with loads of unintended consequences and misinterpretation of his work.

That might be the ultimate kick in the teeth for a person who wanted to advance the world if it instead established a regressive nature on certain aspects of society due to learning or thinking the wrong thing.

Or maybe all this is just Johns own warped version of how he viewed certain people and events remade and tested.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the second episode. Not sure about this theory that Will is Hooded Justice but I guess it makes sense. I wonder how Veidt's plan will end up intersecting with the other characters in Tulsa.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Kind of find the technology levels a mess. I get there's in fiction reasons for some stuff being not up to our levels but it just doesn't add up with other stuff we see. We got holograms and flying paparazzi that use giant old fashioned looking cameras. Crazy goggles and toys that float but people stuck on land lines and using bulky pagers. The gap between stuff just feels too wide, it's weird. The look of various things also feel incongruous with the world.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of find the technology levels a mess. I get there's in fiction reasons for some stuff being not up to our levels but it just doesn't add up with other stuff we see. We got holograms and flying paparazzi that use giant old fashioned looking cameras. Crazy goggles and toys that float but people stuck on land lines and using bulky pagers. The gap between stuff just feels too wide, it's weird. The look of various things also feel incongruous with the world.
The Watchmen world looking at us: "They have super fancy communications equipment but still rely on the combustion engine. And they still haven't figured out any non-lethal weapons for police to use?! This doesn't make sense."

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished episode 2. Looks like we have a new best show on television.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Man just read the chapter all about Rorschach and my god he is a pretty shitty person but honestly you have to have some empathy for him...

Also reading the notes can definitely see how people would take those and spark a new cult with them.

P.S. this comic is fucking amazing!!!!

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
The Watchmen world looking at us: "They have super fancy communications equipment but still rely on the combustion engine. And they still haven't figured out any non-lethal weapons for police to use?! This doesn't make sense."

I think thats the crux of it all, the technology was developed with a different focus. Its not completely outrageous, once you keep in mind how politically the focus on tech was more on things like energy (electric vehicles) and science.

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
Man just read the chapter all about Rorschach and my god he is a pretty shitty person but honestly you have to have some empathy for him...

Also reading the notes can definitely see how people would take those and spark a new cult with them.

P.S. this comic is fucking amazing!!!!

I just watched the motion comic the other day and there are a couple chapters that are just so fucking good. I especially loved the one about the psychotherapist.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Two episodes in and I love this show. I don't know what all this is building toward but I'm onboard.

And need the soundtrack on Spotify asap.

kilner

Oct 28, 2017
Could be if the Old Man is Hooded Justice that him being portrayed White is referencing his hero Bass Reeves supposedly being the main inspiration of The Lone Ranger.

Yup. He was watching a Bass Reeves film reel at the beginning. Definitely think he's Hooded Justice.

Another demonstration of how effectively history can be suppressed or rewritten. I mean, so many people in real life have no clue about figures like Bass Reeves or the Tulsa massacre.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Omg Will is the best at cryptic hints, because whatever he's talking about literally happens.