• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mackenzie

Apr 21, 2019
Brighton
no, i'm counciously lookin at it through the lens of why it made the times top 100. instead of de-railing into a extremely boring discussion about ''leftist'' vs ''alt-right'' bullshit. making watchmen's characters about their political views and to assert that this is what causes them to behave the way they do? now that would be a class a example of looking at it in the simplest way imaginable.

and to do the work moore did writing the characters an enormous disservice.

No ones mentioned alt right or left with regards to Watchmen but you so far as I can see - merely that the comics are definitely full of politcal commentary, both at the small scale and large.

And its entirely possible (and true) that the comics can be about how super heroes in a 'real' world context are potentially people with mental illnesses, or character flaws, or ethically questionable individuals, or actually just want to 'do good'. But they are also multi-faceted enough to discuss how a world affected by these vigilantes and Dr Manhattan can diverge from our own and use that alternative history background to examine and comment on the times the books were written in.

Moore has said as much himself - you chose to ignore the post on this page that quoted him saying so.

Honestly, its a shame you have a narrow view of the intent of the books. They're much richer than you think.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
no, i'm counciously lookin at it through the lens of why it made the times top 100. instead of de-railing into a extremely boring discussion about ''leftist'' vs ''alt-right'' bullshit. making watchmen's characters about their political views and to assert that this is what causes them to behave the way they do? now that would be a class a example of looking at it in the simplest way imaginable.

and to do the work moore did writing the characters an enormous disservice.
Maybe how about instead of trying to derail any discussion on the politics, which are so plainly obviously a massive part of it with others ITT even including quotes from Moore on the topic, you try to actually spark some conversation through that lens you want to see discussed? Or are you just whining because people aren't talking about what you want them to and you don't actually have any insight of your own? The only one here who seems to be doing a disservice to Moore's writing is you by outright dismissing the politics behind it.

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
instead of de-railing into a extremely boring discussion about ''leftist'' vs ''alt-right'' bullshit.

Boring? By my view, "leftist" vs "alt-right" bullshit is one of the defining social issues of our time. And I don't know about you but I don't see a whole lot of current media telling that story and reflecting that reality. So far, television has displayed an annoying fear of telling those stories (ESPECIALLY in a way that frames white supremacists as the terrorists they actually are).

Also, you can't really divorce your "defense" of Watchmen while ignoring that a huge theme of the original comic...was social anxieties in a post-WW world and anti-Reaganism. It wasn't a superhero deconstruction taking place in a vacuum. The politics of the moment were literally the setting of the original comic, and it was in how the heroes navigated that world that we got the character studies and deconstructed the idea of the "superhero."

In the HBO show we literally have the US' police force covering their faces and dressing up like superheroes to conduct normal, everyday police work in a world swallowed up by white supremacist terrorism. If you don't think there's room for a deconstruction of the idea of the superhero in that..well, I don't know what to tell you.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
And Panda as well, is probably not the only dude like that in the police. The cop that got shot, was complaining about Panda being on service. So maybe there is also Bear or Wolf who is more trigger happy.
My read: Panda seems to be one of many in a sort of "scribe" role with some degree of oversight. He takes longer to authorize firearm usage because and got all the cops booing him because he was precious about the rules (like before he let the Chief authorize open firearm assault via Article 4), so I guess his purpose with the mask is because by nature someone is his role has to be antagonistic towards other police to try to keep them "honest" as far as the public is concerned. He and other "animal masks" have to be a step removed from the rest of the force.

Did the world building stuff mention whether police reform was part of the Redford Administration's actions like the reparations were?

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
My read: Panda seems to be one of many in a sort of "scribe" role with some degree of oversight. He takes longer to authorize firearm usage because and got all the cops booing him because he was precious about the rules (like before he let the Chief authorize open firearm assault via Article 4), so I guess his purpose with the mask is because by nature someone is his role has to be antagonistic towards other police to try to keep them "honest" as far as the public is concerned. He and other "animal masks" have to be a step removed from the rest of the force.

Did the world building stuff mention whether police reform was part of the Redford Administration's actions like the reparations were?

Not yet. I have a feeling tonight's episode will cover the events of the 7K attack and what brought about the masks. I'm also gonna guess they're operating on a very loose interpretation of the Keene Act, since they are public servants and therefore technically government sactioned.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
One of the many reasons I love the gn is that it is about a *ton* of stuff. Yes, it's about the idea that superheroes would be disfunctional people but it is also about

- politics (personal)
- politics (international, particularly MAD and power politics)
- philosophy of ethics (deontological vs. utilitairianism)
- philosophy of the nature of god
- philosophy of the reason for being
- media's influence of the public perception
- the notion that the part reflects the whole and that life follows patterns
- the human nature of finding bonds in the most unlikely places during times of darkness

The book is *loaded* with stuff and so far, I like the pilot because it looks like it might be too.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
One of the many reasons I love the gn is that it is about a *ton* of stuff. Yes, it's about the idea that superheroes would be disfunctional people but it is also about

- politics (personal)
- the human nature of finding bonds in the most unlikely places during times of darkness

The book is *loaded* with stuff and so far, I like the pilot because it looks like it might be too.

I appreciate such a succinct summary of my love of Watchmen.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

- politics (personal)

this!

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Ballers is a half hour right?

Either way, this won't get as full on silly as True Blood did, especially in its later seasons.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I love the fact that Robert Redford is essentially the bizarro, liberal version of Ronald Reagan.

Reparations, cops need approval before using deadly force, etc etc.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the left overs for real but I think this is tickling all the right buttons from Lost for me already.

Oct 25, 2017
What was the music in the Dr Manhattan play.....I can't remember where I've heard it before (Yea, I know it's been in lots of stuff lol) and it's annoying me