• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Soap NickTavish

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Third rewatch, and hot damn, Angela suting up to go kick ass as Sister Night and Looking Glass pod interrogation scenes are just awesome. Can't stop fawning over the soundtrack.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
i read the comic twice but dont remember anything about giant squids...also, wast ozymandias supposed to be dead? i thought there would be no retconning the original material...

lmao wut i know how you feel but yeah you need to brush up on it.

Maybe watch the last episode of the motion comic lol

I'm gonna go with "squid rain" being unintended consequences, which might be an interesting idea moving forward. After all, if Ozymandias's plan had actually worked, we wouldn't have him apparently trying to do something similar all over again.

As for the Rorshach Nazi Death Cult, it's hard to say when we don't know exactly what the cult actually stands for, but we do know that Rorschach's notebook is full of his own fascist-but-not-necessarily-racist musings (don't quote me I can't actually remember the notes and he might be super racist for all I know), was circulated in fringe publications that were undoubtedly popular with right wing conspiracy theorists, liberal Robert Redford has been president for 30 years and has boosted environmental protections, taken away guns, and passed reparations, the kavalry thinks that the ... climax of the graphics novel... was a government conspiracy, etc. I don't think it would be hard to draw the path that sovereign citizen loons took to get where they are.

My money's on further genetic experiments, like the squid and his cat hybrid back in the day.

Damn I think you hit the nail on the head with all of this.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure how I felt about this. Will tune in next week. The best thing I can say about this is it wasn't as disappointing as west world.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I...have actually never heard of the Tulsa Riots we got taught a wide range of American history during my Modern History classes here in Australia but if it WAS brought up it was brief and It certainly wasn't for any long length of time, definitely has made me go on a long search history about the event.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
That whole Veidt scene.......anyone else think it felt.......off? Like a dream or dementia?
My read was that the two servants are androids or something. In a world where he managed to make rudimentary teleportation in 1985 it's not too farfetched that he'd have robotic AI 35 years later, even if he didn't necessarily share it with the world at large.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...this was really confusing for me.
Guess I have to read the graphic novel and rewatch the episode a few times to get what is going on.

Oct 25, 2017
This was way better than the Westworld pilot tbh. Shows more promise and the addition of Black People is always welcome.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Well that wasn't weird at all! Quick thoughts:

-It wasn't pretty. It doesn't have to be, but for a flagship HBO show I thought it would look outstanding. While we're at it the soundtrack is cool, but they blew the big moment when music was really ramping up during the interrogation. Blood mixing with water for a big crescendo... sweet?

-Regina King's performance lifted the episode I thought. When she's reacting to the police chief getting out of that flying copter thing she really sells it an that makes the scene so much better. Everyone else so far is kinda forgettable, the writing is whatever, but she's legit.

-The world building is really good. I'm a sucker for dropping the viewer/reader into a strange world that becomes familiar bit by bit and so I'm into this part of the show the most so far. Is there going to be a non comic related thread? I could do without the play by play comparison.

Good enough that I'll be tuning in next week, but the pilot is not a standout in writing and directing. Cautiously optimistic?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that the cinematography needs work. This is no Boardwalk Empire.

HBO shows in general tend to be kind of ugly though. This is one of the better looking ones, I thought. Set design was nice.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My take on Veidt's servants was his attempt at creating human life (like he did with the cat and the squids) but their naivety and struggling at simple tasks shows he hasn't perfected it yet.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't know what to make of this. The politics of the show feels all over the place at times, it clearly has a liberal bent to it but then parts feel like All Lives Matter. I guess that's a good thing in that they're depicting a fairly complex world.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Did the rorsach cult ever actually say anything particularly racist? I'm wondering if it's just propoganda against them. I don't recall rorsach being particularly racist in a way that would inspire a white supremacist cult

Just feel like it's gotta be a red herring for what they're really up to

Lionel Mandrake

Prophetic Lionel Mandrake
Oct 26, 2017
While it was certainly a pretty decent start, I'm not 100% sold just yet. I may have just been sullied by the Zack Snyder movie's overly stylized vision, but man does this show look plain most of the time. It's hard to believe that this is a universe where
Dr. Manhattan re-materialized as a partially muscled skeleton, Ozymandias caught a bullet in his bare hands, and a giant squid crushed New York.
I guess a part of that may just be the Oklahoma setting, but I'm hoping there's a bit more visual excess in the upcoming episodes. I'm not asking for Zack Snyder speed ramping or anything, but even a more Dave Gibbons color palette would go a long way.

Story wise, it was pretty engaging and moved quickly. Music was great too.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Did the rorsach cult ever actually say anything particularly racist? I'm wondering if it's just propoganda against them. I don't recall rorsach being particularly racist in a way that would inspire a white supremacist cult

"black filth" was part of their speech

And the racist propaganda poster Regina's character sees in the hideout

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

They're all white and in their manifesto video they called out "race traitors".

MorganFreakman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it but I am confused about the end of the episode.

the kid from 1921 is the man in the wheelchair at the end who killed the chief? (at least that is what I am lead to believe) Why did he do this, and how did he do it.
Pretty sure the silent movie from the beginning was foreshadowing the present day police chief / sheriff isn't who he appeared to be. The closeup of his family picture while he gets dressed makes me believe that his father had a big part in the Tulsa Bombing at the beginning of the episode, and he is also a secret white nationalist that is advancing their beliefs & causes on the down low

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know what to make of this. The politics of the show feels all over the place at times, it clearly has a liberal bent to it but then parts feel like All Lives Matter. I guess that's a good thing in that they're depicting a fairly complex world.
My gif-dar is pinging off the charts and there's nothing I can do

This would've been the perfect spot for a gif from The Hunt

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Pretty sure the silent movie from the beginning was foreshadowing the present day police chief / sheriff isn't who he appeared to be. The closeup of his family picture while he gets dressed makes me believe that his father had a big part in the Tulsa Bombing at the beginning of the episode, and he is also a secret white nationalist that is advancing their beliefs & causes on the down low
That seems too obvious though.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Rorschach was obviously a very troubled dude, but he would probably be murdering those Kalvary guys himself if he was somehow still around.

Some of you are being incredibly kind in your vision of Rorschach in 2019. It's not like he'd be the same guy he was in 1985, transported to today. He'd more likely be a racist, soup-brained conservative that sees the Kavalry as restoring order to an imbalanced country that lost its way the night the Comedian took the big sleep.

I mean, this is the same guy who romanticized Truman's era ("A days work for a days pay.") and speculated on single mothers cheating the welfare system. You think he'd be pro-reparations? LOL come on.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Pretty awesome start so far!

Want to see what's going on in the rest of the world, not just Tulsa though.
How is the world reeling after the "Alien/Dimensional" squid attack?
What kind of defenses did the planet create to fend off the next "attack"?

What in the fuck is Manhattan doing on Mars? Looks like he's practicing building cities and destroying them?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty awesome start so far!

Want to see what's going on in the rest of the world, not just Tulsa though.
How is the world reeling after the "Alien/Dimensional" squid attack?
What kind of defenses did the planet create to fend off the next "attack"?

What in the fuck is Manhattan doing on Mars? Looks like he's practicing building cities and destroying them?

Think it's pretty clear they aren't reeling. As the squid rain showed, this is just another daily inconvenience at this point. Veidt failed.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So many mystery boxes.
Ahh, cool. I'm glad someone else mentioned the police chief not necessarily being who he appeared to be. Though you're coming from it from a different angle than what I'm thinking, yours makes it much more obvious. I'm thinking of the badge and the drop of blood.

In the original Watchmen book, the "badge" is a smiley face and the blood comes from the death of the Comedian. The comedian wears this badge out of deliberate irony. He's not really a comedian. He's a violent weapon that cares nothing for the harm he causes. Even his death, as symbolized by the positioning of his blood on the button, denotes a countdown to the end of the world.

It seems certain that the blood drop on the sheriff's badge at the end of the first episode is intended to symbolize a similar dark irony. That the sherriff represented something opposite of what the badge he wore symbolized. That he wears it half in humor. If it doesn't then Lindelof fucked up the most important symbol of the entire story. It may also mean a countdown to the end of the world again, a similar irony of the badge representing safety, protection, justice, and the countdown mocking that idea.

The one thing that I think is going to complicate the issue is that where a smiley face is rather a pure symbol for "Have a Nice Day" or general good feelings, a police badge is a much more complex symbol. I think Lindelof is trying to use it as a pure symbol, for justice, order, righteousness, whathaveyou, but will it necessarily come off that way to an audience?

Also interesting that the woman finds the badge, a surrogate for Rorschach who found the button in Watchmen. Not sure if that's important yet.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished. What an incredible direction to take a show based on the comic book. Zoom out decades after the events of the comic, make it topical, make it subversive, make it a homage of what made the comic so damn compelling and do it by breaking rules and turning things on its head. If what I'm hearing about the first 6 episodes is any indication in terms of impressions, I'm really excited to see where this all goes myself.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I get the feeling that the American Hero Story will work similarly to The Black Freighter from the original comic.

Anyway, I really dug that opening. I'm really down to see where this goes.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Wait...was Judd supposed to be Nite Owl? He knew how to pilot Archie better than the woman, the owl mug, a copy of Under a The Hood in his office...? Or maybe he was just obsessed with him.

i don't really remember Nite Owl's history other than him being the 2nd one.