• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Are there no real characters with powers in this one (a la Dr. Manhattan)?

Seems strange at first, I was expecting more singular characters/heroes/vigilante's whereas this show seems focused with the story centered around a group of Rorschach cultist vs a group of yellow mask wearing police instead, didn't really get a sense of the individual characters from this trailer, hopefully it's more focused with a more diverse lineup then just those two groups being at the forefront of the storyline.

Also was Jeremy Irons meant to be an older Ozymandias? Cause that's the vibe it gave.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Thought it was a pretty bad trailer. Nothing felt like Watchmen (except the Doomsday clock I guess but it's overused), and it didn't really show me an interesting hook for a sequel.

I have no idea what to make of this and this is the first I have heard of it. Here is what the wiki says for those of you in the same boat as me:

link to article that has additional context and said 5 pages here. Also Lindelof's 5 pages open letter below.

This letter is fantastic though, damn.

Isak_Borg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thought it was a pretty bad trailer. Nothing felt like Watchmen (except the Doomsday clock I guess but it's overused), and it didn't really show me an interesting hook for a sequel.

I don't think it's supposed to feel like Watchmen and is using the ending of the book as a jumping point for what society would turn into after the squid incident.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Are there no real characters with powers in this one (a la Dr. Manhattan)?

Seems strange at first, I was expecting more singular characters/heroes/vigilante's whereas this show seems focused with the story centered around a group of Rorschach cultist vs a group of yellow mask wearing police instead, didn't really get a sense of the individual characters from this trailer, hopefully it's more focused with a more diverse lineup then just those two groups being at the forefront of the storyline.

Also was Jeremy Irons meant to be an older Ozymandias? Cause that's the vibe it gave.

Calling it now-- Doctor Manhattan will be a surprise reveal at some point.

Patrick Klepek

Editor at Remap, Crossplay
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Near Chicago
I think people are getting overly hung up on the "sequel" when it's, more than likely, distancing from expectations of a sequel. A sequel is explicitly supposed to pay off all the narrative threads from the original work. I'm guessing this is more of an off-shoot, so it doesn't have to adhere to those assumptions, even if it ends up being a sequel, in part.

Oct 27, 2017

It was definitely quite a clever way to reach out to the fans in a way they might appreciate. Might be worth Biosnake adding to op or threadmarking.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
GoT is the most recent show on here and it's been almost a decade since it came on. they've been real hit or miss in the last five years or so, i'd say.
You're right. Although I absolutely loved The Leftovers, they've been very hit or miss in the last few years.

It's been far more hit than miss in my eyes, and i don't think they've been any more hit & miss in recent years, other than that they are just creating more original content.

Big Little Lies
The Deuce
Succession
Barry

All premiered in the last 2 years and are top notch shows. There isn't any network/platform pumping out as many good shows as HBO is right now.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So, at the end we'll presumably get a scene where Jon says his experiment failed and starts again with a new world.

Basically, the series will be Jon looking back on where things fell apart and if there was any way things could have turned out differently. This one being a world where Rorschach's journal got out and influenced society.

EDIT:
If it succeeds, future seasons could be an alternate take on things where stuff went differently, and third where he does his own thing based on how things went with the 2 seasons

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Re: HBO quality, Chernobyl literally premiered this week you fools.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are doing the score?

I kinda have to pay attention to this now

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are getting overly hung up on the "sequel" when it's, more than likely, distancing from expectations of a sequel. A sequel is explicitly supposed to pay off all the narrative threads from the original work. I'm guessing this is more of an off-shoot, so it doesn't have to adhere to those assumptions, even if it ends up being a sequel, in part.

I get that that is what he is going for. But, if someone were to ask you if something was a sequel, and you said no... and then you told them it does take place in the same world, and all those events still took place, and it takes place after... they would be confused by you first saying it isn't a sequel.

You simply say, yes, but with a new cast of characters.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Well that was something, I watch this day one, after the leftovers I will watch anything Lindeloff makes.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
That trailer is the first bit of news of this series that has made me anticipate it at all.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
I never got the impression that he has any hate for races or women, though I only saw the movie

That's sort of irrelevant. Sure, he might have been not-racist or sexist, but the ideals he stood for can be easily co-opted by wrong sorts of people. Look at the Punisher's skull being decalled on Police Cars.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Um... hmmm...

...I...

...huh.

...I'm glad they're going their own route with it rather than failing to adapt the comic...

...and it definitely seems topical...

...just not sure the setting it appears to be exploring needs to be branded with Watchmen...

...I guess we'll see.

I think the watch motif is because its called WATCH-men. I dont know if you all noticed that

latest

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Some comic book characters are confirmed on the show but i guess it would be spoilers to mention specifics. Looking forward to how they're portrayed.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I never got the impression that he has any hate for races or women, though I only saw the movie

Well, here's his famous monologue in full, from the comics:

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No." They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father or President Truman. Decent men who believed in a day's work for a day's pay. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody Hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers... and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say.

Like, I don't recall any instances of racism from Rorschach, but his opinion of women and his overall worldview are made very clear throughout.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been far more hit than miss in my eyes, and i don't think they've been any more hit & miss in recent years, other than that they are just creating more original content.

Big Little Lies
The Deuce
Succession
Barry

All premiered in the last 2 years and are top notch shows. There isn't any network/platform pumping out as many good shows as HBO is right now.
i agree, and it seems like everything they do is critically received pretty well, but the image of HBO having a golden touch i had in the early 00s has worn down a bit in the years since all TV has gotten a lot better. i generally enjoy more of what they put out than i don't, but most of the stuff they've done recently hasn't moved me as much as stuff on other networks. granted that The Wire and The Sopranos are an impossibly high bar to meet, but still, i'm generally less attached to their more recent offerings. The Deuce is a big exception though, i love that shit

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Not interested, at this point. I didn't think the trailer was bad but it just didn't make me want to watch the series. Maybe future trailers will change that.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This looks like absolute, goddamned garbage. What does this even have to do with Watchmen? I can only imagine what Alan Moore thinks about this.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I got chills. If this is half as good as The Leftovers it'll be something worth watching

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I get that that is what he is going for. But, if someone were to ask you if something was a sequel, and you said no... and then you told them it does take place in the same world, and all those events still took place, and it takes place after... they would be confused by you first saying it isn't a sequel.

You simply say, yes, but with a new cast of characters.

DC can't actually make a sequel to Watchmen, which is presumably why they'll always deny this is a sequel. Just like how Doomsday Clock is never referenced officially as a sequel to Watchmen either.

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why there's confusion about it being a sequel or not, the letter seemed pretty clear to me - it happens after the original, but it's not part 2 of the story (and maybe certain aspects happened differently). It's not unlike Marvel Zombies obviously happens after Spider-Man rejected the symbionte, but it's not the next part of that story.

I think the watch motif is because its called WATCH-men. I dont know if you all noticed that
Have you read the comic? Both Gibbons and Moore abused the fuck out of the watch/time imagery and motif at every chance. Nothing wrong with the advertising for the show doing the same.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I rewatched that trailer frame by frame and now I'm moving past intrigued into a little excited.

There's a floating ring that looks like a memorial around the Washington monument. There's been some sort of mass murder at a State Fair. There's a glimpse of what may be the Owl ship, and some sort of costumed individual standing in front. And there's clearly a new vigilante wearing a sheriff's badge.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
USTB6EB.png

Looks like the Owlship.

Maybe Nite Owl is still active.
Oh shit nice catch.

I don't know if it's been confirmed ages ago but variety or one of the trades actually called irons out as being Ozymandias the other day. I suppose we all knew that but it was the first confirmation I'd read

I'm also fully expecting Dr Manhattan to pop up towards the end of the season. The shows focus will likely be the "little" people and heroes but we'll see something fantastic every now and then

Dec 3, 2018
I usually hate anything to do with superheroes, but The Leftovers is one of the best shows ever... Guess I'll give it a go.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the trailer has enough there that really shows what they're going for, which makes it hard to tell form an opinion other than I want another trailer.