• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
We just seen his truama birth, way wash away all that emotional cache turning him into a little shit? The scene could have estiblished him as a rebel as rebel if they just had him stop when 5-0 shows up and say something snarky

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
In my interpretation of that scene and the later one where he gets into a bar brawl, it sets up Kelvin-timeline Kirk as a man who needs the discipline of Starfleet.

Oct 27, 2017
You're only just getting into all the bullshit of the reboot trek movies. And it only gets much worse in Into Darkness.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
That was the nature of the movie. It was the biggest blemish in the movie IMO.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
The reboot vision of Kirk is truly awful. Well for the first two, once the creative team changes for beyond and Pine's a bit older he's pretty good. But yeah this stuff sucks and there's nothing endearing or likeable about him other than the movie assumes you like him becuase you like Kirk.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
holy shit I would drive that kid right back to the quarry and

AnxiousWhisperedAdmiralbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
We just seen his truama birth, way wash away all that emotional cache turning him into a little shit? The scene could have estiblished him as a rebel as rebel if they just had him stop when 5-0 shows up and say something snarky
Guardians of the Galaxy in a similar amount of time goes from Peter getting into a fight to protect a frog while his mother is dying of cancer to kicking alien rats apparently for the fun of it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
2009 Trek was fine . No great, but fine. And they did an amazing casting job.

Into Darkness is the worst Trek film ever

Beyond is one of the best Trek films.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
It's what a white mid 40's producer thought was still "badass" in 2009.

and then he's driving cool car
and then he's wearing a leather jacket
and then the cops are chasing him
and then he starts playing Sabotage
and then there's a cliff
and then he jumps out right as the car is going over the ledge
and then he's hanging on the side of the cliff

Nov 27, 2020
I've said it before and I'll say it again…Trek 09 is an alright action movie, but a piss poor Trek film with a terrible version of Kirk. The casting is on point, as was finally seen in Beyond, but turning Kirk into Luke Skywalker is fucking stupid. Goddamn I hate the last five minutes of that movie. Lol

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017

and then there's a cliff
that's not a white mid 40s producer that's jj abrams

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I like the movie and to me Kirk being a shit without purpose makes sense seeing as how he grew up without a father.

They even explain it later in the movie when Spock tells him that his father was his biggest inspiration.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
In my interpretation of that scene and the later one where he gets into a bar brawl, it sets up Kelvin-timeline Kirk as a man who needs the discipline of Starfleet.

Agreed. I really do think that's what you're supposed to get out of it. It's a much weaker parallel to people who see the military as the core of discipline, the thing that can turn any troubled soul into a hardened member of society.

But yeah, I didn't hate it.

and then there's a cliff

Sounds like someone who grew up idolizing The Last Crusade.

Nov 27, 2020
I like the movie and to me Kirk being a shit without purpose makes sense seeing as how he grew up without a father.

They even explain it later in the movie when Spock tells him that his father was his biggest inspiration.
I'm all onboard with that, it does make sense. What I hated about it was it turned him into another "Hero with a Thousand Faces", since it was his "destiny" to be Captain of a starship. A destiny that was fulfilled before he even actually graduated from the academy because…of reasons? Because he was buds with Obi-Wan…I mean Pike? Kirk should have had to earn it, rather than being given command of a starship like he's an offspring of Trump or something.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I'm all onboard with that, it does make sense. What I hated about it was it turned him into another "Hero with a Thousand Faces", since it was his "destiny" to be Captain of a starship. A destiny that was fulfilled before he even actually graduated from the academy because…of reasons? Because he was buds with Obi-Wan…I mean Pike? Kirk should have had to earn it, rather than being given command of a starship like he's an offspring of Trump or something.

I mean he does though right? By hacking the Kobarashi Maru simulation?

Like, Kirk is a shit and Starfleet is the thing that makes him start taking things seriously, but the whole streak of his character is, "it's still kirk". He's still a playboy who doesn't follow the rules when he doesn't want to and his unique style of leadership as well has the capability of his crew make it so that they succeed against all odds. That's basically what the 3rd movie is about. It's also why Kirk gets the everloving shit beaten out of him in the first and second movies.

Oct 28, 2017

Watching on CBS after football? So are we.
Don't let the haters hate, it's a fine movie.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
It's almost like JJ abrams and the guys who wrote Revenge of the Fallen are not good story tellers.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Spock is the reason he becomes captain of the ship and he is using his knowledge of the future and the present time to manipulate events.

I thought it was honestly a great remake. They went in a totally different direction and each character was very different than the OG Star Trek. If I want to see the OG Star Trek movies (which are mostly amazing) then I will watch them.

I prefer when directors go in a different direction and try something different.

Nov 27, 2020
I mean he does though right? By hacking the Kobarashi Maru simulation?

Like, Kirk is a shit and Starfleet is the thing that makes him start taking things seriously, but the whole streak of his character is, "it's still kirk". He's still a playboy who doesn't follow the rules when he doesn't want to and his unique style of leadership as well has the capability of his crew make it so that they succeed against all odds. That's basically what the 3rd movie is about. It's also why Kirk gets the everloving shit beaten out of him in the first and second movies.
Nah…that's pop culture Kirk, not Kirk in TOS. Kirk in TOS was a book smart, capable, caring leader who had been through some shit in his career. He was a young captain, but he still worked his way up through the ranks. We were told this in episodes like "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "Obsession". We were shown how being a captain weighed on him in "Balance of Terror". I'm ok with the Kelvin Kirk being different, but there's no universe where a twenty something kid is entrusted with the lives of 400 something people without having some sort of actual leadership in experience.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Nah…that's pop culture Kirk, not Kirk in TOS. Kirk in TOS was a book smart, capable, caring leader who had been through some shit in his career. He was a young captain, but he still worked his way up through the ranks. We were told this in episodes like "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and "Obsession". We were shown how being a captain weighed on him in "Balance of Terror". I'm ok with the Kelvin Kirk being different, but there's no universe where a twenty something kid is entrusted with the lives of 400 something people without having some sort of actual leadership in experience.

I mean I suppose. I won't lie, Pop Culture Kirk has definitely eclipsed TOS Kirk when it comes to general mindshare. Doesn't help that the 3rd movie is basically all the tropes you remember from TOS crammed into two hours rather than being a real TOS episode.

I've been thinking about rewatching the new trilogy again, that second movie keeps putting me off of it though. God, that second movie...why even go there?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
As someone who knew little of Trek besides watching the occasional TNG episode, I liked Kirk in this. They gave him plenty of room to grow at least

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this your first time watching a piece of media where the hero who grew up without a parent is troubled as a youth before finding his way?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Abram treks are pretty hard to rewatch. With into darkness being up there with some of the worst "trek" shit I've ever seen

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
I own this on Blu. It's a beautiful, bombastic film, but nothing groundbreaking. Great for showing off your setup.

Shawndroid

May 24, 2018
Canada
I do not like In To Darkness. But the distaste the several of you seem to feel is very weird to me. It is perfectly watchable.

If you don't know Trek, the Khan reveal a dud.

If you do like Trek, the 'just another space action film' is too much action, and flipping the script and anti-Death syrium is a little silly. The thing I hated the most is that the stress on the Hull moving under water would tear it apart. Then again I didn't like the Enterprise being built on the surface in Star Trek I either.

Granted, it's been a while since I've watched it. I forget if I've seen it twice or thrice. Been at least 4 years though. Am I forgetting something thematically that's offensive or in canon is just awful that doesn't apply to the other movies?

I liked Beyond. But the worst part of it was it did that thing modern movies do where once it starts it keeps going with no rest and doesn't let you catch your breath, nearly, at all. So I don't like that this modern movie is paced like a modern movie!

Jan 29, 2018
I do not like In To Darkness. But the distaste the several of you seem to feel is very weird to me. It is perfectly watchable.

If you don't know Trek, the Khan reveal a dud.

If you do like Trek, the 'just another space action film' is too much action, and flipping the script and anti-Death syrium is a little silly. The thing I hated the most is that the stress on the Hull moving under water would tear it apart. Then again I didn't like the Enterprise being built on the surface in Star Trek I either.

Granted, it's been a while since I've watched it. I forget if I've seen it twice or thrice. Been at least 4 years though. Am I forgetting something thematically that's offensive or in canon is just awful that doesn't apply to the other movies?

I liked Beyond. But the worst part of it was it did that thing modern movies do where once it starts it keeps going with no rest and doesn't let you catch your breath, nearly, at all. So I don't like that this modern movie is paced like a modern movie!

I think the worst part of Into Darkness is flipping the positions that Kirk and Spock were in for the climax of Wrath of Khan and expecting it to be meaningful when the two characters had known each other for maybe a year in this continuity and had maybe a grudging respect for each other, as opposed to in Wrath of Khan where they had a decades long friendship. I can get onboard with dumb shit that looks awesome (like the hiding the ship underwater in the opening - that was dumb as shit but looked cool) but cribbing the emotional core of another movie in the franchise when it doesn't even make sense in this movie just sucks.