• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think of terminator 1?

• I love it

Votes: 264 71.5%
  • I like terminator 2 more...even though terminator 1 is better.

Votes: 105 28.5%

• Total voters

Video Kojima

Banned
Apr 5, 2020
This is such a good movie. Good action. Nice mix of horror and sci-fi. Masterfully crafted tension. So much creativity on display.

Also, incredible music.
Is terminator 1 up there for you?

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Free on youtube right now.
youtu.be

The Terminator

A cyborg is sent from the future on a deadly mission. He has to kill Sarah Connor, a young woman whose life will have a great significance in years to come. ...

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I went back and watched this again recently. I was surprised at how much it's really just an 80s slasher film, just with a sci-fi twist. And it really works.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like T2 more, but I don't like that it undoes the time loop from its predecessor. I appreciate that 3 tries to steer it back, even if it doesn't execute it so well.

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
T2 has more polish and better action sequences, but the original film is tighter and tells a better story.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
One subtle aspect is the depiction of the T1 terminator vs the heroic T2 is how its wounds are represented. T1 has zombie like decay where the skin he's wearing starts to rot the skin loses it's color and there's even a scene where one bystander says that the terminator smells awful because he's wearing dead flesh. Towards the end, it even takes on a zombie like gait because of the damage it's taken.

meanwhile, terminators from T2 and onward never have their injuries being depicted as anything but heroic. They're battle scars, and unless it's to progress the plot, the injuries are superficial and for the purposes of showing how badass Arnold is.

I think it'd be cool a terminator movie was written with these aspects in mind and played around with them somehow. Depicting the terminator as a threat is easy, but it's evocation of zombies could be made to make a new plot formula so it isn't "new terminator assigned to kill X while old version (that is always arnold) is protecting them" because that shit is just so old to me.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
To expand upon my statement "It's the best Terminator film":

Like many kids born in the late 80s, I grew up with T2. I wore the VHS out. It was a family film in our household. I loved it and I still love it.

I didn't discover T1 until I was older. It was rougher around the edges, the effects were worse, it had unnerving soundtrack. Over the years I came to realise that, yes, The Terminator is the best film in the series. There isn't an ounce of fat on it.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I love how just simple and robotic the Terminator is in the first. Always get a kick out of how it jsut searches up "Sarah Connor" in the phone book and just goes beelines to all their houses. No time wasted

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Every thread about T1 doesn't have to be a conversation about if it's better than T2.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really good movie and is amazing what JC could do with what was a very modest budget. However, T2 builds off T1 and improves almost every aspect and is a perfect example of sometimes you just need a bigger budget to realise your vision.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
lol at those poll choices.

T2 >>>>> T1

It's good, but 2 is so much better and each time I rewatch to make sure it reaffirms that for me.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
It's basically Halloween with a syfy robot twist the concept Cameron even visioned had the robot holding Michael Myers classic butcher knife LOL
The-Terminator-01-large-830x450.jpg

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
one of the best, like jaws its a great example of turning what should be (and no doubt born as) schlock into a masterpiece because the craft is so great

perfect poll options too

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Best Terminator film. Perfect closed loop time narrative that holds water; true sense of horror blended with great action sequences; good performances; great OST and the overall structure is perfect.

I understand why many find the more commercial and lighter hearted T2 more enjoyable; hell it's intended to be more appealing with the budget or had and building in the growth in status of original plus Cameron and Annie's own bankability.

But Terminator 1 is the better film. T2's a hoot but it makes little sense continuity wise and adds essentially little to the existing context from T1 other than "hey maybe the bad thing won't happen". It also has a very weak middle section where the bulk of the exposition is squashed to allow for the barnstorming action filled first and third act.

I do love T2 but it's a great imperfect film and T1's a great damn near perfect film. T1 has all the best lines too: even T2 (as well as every Terminator since) keeps repeats and echos them.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely prefer the gritty horror movie vibe from T1, and it still has plenty of great action too.

That said T2 isn't any less of a film, just different, I love it a lot too. But I prefer T1.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite terminator, and revisiting it in Genisys is a guilty pleasure. That and Cameron's original t2 opening being put on screen

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Masterpiece. Great movie that doesn't age.
Terminator 2 is better imho. But in the end, both are great. Both are masterpieces.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
It's the best Terminator film.
/thread

I don't know how you would go about improving it, it's already fantastic. It perfectly represents what a Terminator is and why the future is the way it is.

Plus Sarah is written really well going from a college girl to a hardened leader. It's just really well told with superb pace.

Jan 3, 2018
T1 is an excellent film, but T2 expands on it in ways that make it the movie I would rather watch. The additional characters and dynamics give it more depth: Sarah in a mental hospital, Arnold as Terminator guardian, the stuff with Dyson and trying to stop Judgment Day, etc.