• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
watching anything on laserdisc sucks. watching mortal kombat annihilation on laserdisc is like punching yourself in the nuts.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a terrible movie but also highly watchable and entertaining because of that, I can relate.

not so much for the effort to watch it on laserdisc.. but I'm amused to know that exists.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rtobrzt.jpg

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, I really can't really say much about watching MK:A too many times. I bought two different versions of Alien Resurrection on LD. And I didn't even buy them just as collectables or anything—I actually did it to watch them. This is after having both DVD releases and the Blu-ray. Sure, it's a terrible movie, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

I am currently converting a rip of MK:A into ROQ format using FFMPEG to test with a bit of homebrew Dreamcast stuff I'm working on right now, so I can watch MK:A on the Dreamcast.
This, however, sounds a lot more interesting than just nostalgia. Not to mention how much I respect the authenticity.

watching anything on laserdisc sucks.
Lies!

Hold up, what? This was a thing?
There were primarily two formats for LaserDiscs: CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) and CLV (Constant Linear Velocity). CAV had slightly better picture quality, but was limited to roughly 30 minutes per side. CLV had slightly worse PQ, but could hold roughly 60 minutes per side. You could also have mixed format discs where one side is CLV and the other was CAV. This was more common if the last part of a movie was too short to justify the longer format or for special features. Full CAV releases were initially the most common, but later on were usually just used for special releases.

For example, the Special Edition release of Aliens was in CAV and had 7 sides (the seventh side had the special features). The Collector's Edition of Alien that came out around the same time wasn't much better at 6 sides, but the remastered version that came out a couple years after that was able to fit the movie on 2 sides by using CLV (and omitting any special features). Most newer players at least had a mechanism that flipped the laser, but older or certain specialty players were manual. You would've had to get up to change the side or disc every 30 minutes for some releases.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, I really can't really say much about watching MK:A too many times. I bought two different versions of Alien Resurrection on LD. And I didn't even buy them just as collectables or anything—I actually did it to watch them. This is after having both DVD releases and the Blu-ray. Sure, it's a terrible movie, but I have a lot of nostalgia for it.

This, however, sounds a lot more interesting than just nostalgia. Not to mention how much I respect the authenticity.

Lies!

There were primarily two formats for LaserDiscs: CAV (Constant Angular Velocity) and CLV (Constant Linear Velocity). CAV had slightly better picture quality, but was limited to roughly 30 minutes per side. CLV had slightly worse PQ, but could hold roughly 60 minutes per side. You could also have mixed format discs where one side is CLV and the other was CAV. This was more common if the last part of a movie was too short to justify the longer format or for special features. Full CAV releases were initially the most common, but later on were usually just used for special releases.

For example, the Special Edition release of Aliens was in CAV and had 7 sides (the seventh side had the special features). The Collector's Edition of Alien that came out around the same time wasn't much better at 6 sides, but the remastered version that came out a couple years after that was able to fit the movie on 2 sides by using CLV (and omitting any special features). Most newer players at least had a mechanism that flipped the laser, but older or certain specialty players were manual. You would've had to get up to change the side or disc every 30 minutes for some releases.

My copy of Aliens is 3 sides, which is annoying, because the 4th side is just a static message saying "the content is on the otherside of this disc." But it doesn't include any bonus features like the trailer. They had an entire side available to put content on and filled it with a static message.

The very first time I ever saw laserdisc, ever, was at my brother's house. His roommate had a laserdisc player and we watched that 6 side version of Alien. It was actually a legitimately slick set up as he had a high end stereo and a widescreen big-screen projection tv. You could tell the TV to crop the bars out of Alien and watch it like a modern widescreen movie, it was honestly a slick setup. This was when CD-Rom in general was still relatively new and hip, so seeing movies on this disc was amazing. Being able to skip chapters, too.

Everything was impressive... except having to get up 6 times to change the sides haha.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a laser disc player but mine has two lasers no stupid flipping mechanisms.

years ago I read that Jurassic park laser disc version on projector was theater quality and superior to dvd don't knownif true but to lazy to google it. Lol

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
OP is a legend.

Watching one of the worst movies ever made on a failed and archaic format. I love this. We need more people to document stuff like this.

Hats off to you.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
My copy of Aliens is 3 sides, which is annoying, because the 4th side is just a static message saying "the content is on the otherside of this disc." But it doesn't include any bonus features like the trailer. They had an entire side available to put content on and filled it with a static message.

The very first time I ever saw laserdisc, ever, was at my brother's house. His roommate had a laserdisc player and we watched that 6 side version of Alien. It was actually a legitimately slick set up as he had a high end stereo and a widescreen big-screen projection tv. You could tell the TV to crop the bars out of Alien and watch it like a modern widescreen movie, it was honestly a slick setup. This was when CD-Rom in general was still relatively new and hip, so seeing movies on this disc was amazing. Being able to skip chapters, too.

Everything was impressive... except having to get up 6 times to change the sides haha.
Yeah, LaserDisc was so impressive during its heyday. Somehow I never encountered it back then. Or maybe I just don't remember it since I was a little kid. Either way, many of the features of DVD that wowed me when I was younger were things that LaserDisc did years before and I had no idea. It wasn't until later that I realized what I had missed out on. In hindsight, this might've been a good thing. If I had experienced LaserDisc like you did, I would've probably become obsessed with it. That must've been mind blowing at the time.

I wasn't really aware of it until I saw a player and a bunch of movies for sale at a local secondhand store back in 2007. Coincidentally, it was a Alien disc they had that caught my eye. I realized it was on some strange format called "LaserDisc" that I may have seen referenced somewhere, sometime previously on the internet. I was so intrigued that I bought the player, Alien (I can never own it on too many formats), and a couple other movies on a whim. My instant fascination then led to me to start what's now turned into a modest collection.

Granted, that wasn't the first nor last time I got interested in researching and collecting bits of technology that have long since become obsolete. Based on all the interesting Sega stuff you post and the pic of your office, I'm probably in good company here. Lol.

OP is a legend.

Watching one of the worst movies ever made on a failed and archaic format. I love this. We need more people to document stuff like this.

Hats off to you.
Believe it or not, LaserDisc wasn't really a failed format per se. VHS may have dramatically outsold it, but LD was still able to find enough success as a niche format that it lasted for nearly 24 years, with around 58,000 titles released. And that was just as a consumer home video format; LD had many other applications outside of that. It wasn't necessarily a failure, but it is under appreciated.