• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ETnH2v2WAAYVO8L

It's every bit as bad as watching MK:A on any other device, except this laserdisc player's side swapping mechanism is broken so I have to manually flip the disc. Meaning, this movie actually tasks me with getting up and walking across the room and essentially popping the movie into the player twice to watch the movie once. More effort required than watching it any other way.

At least it's only 2 sides instead of some bigger 3+ side movies.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My parents know the feeling. Their first LaserDisc player didn't have autoflipping. Their second one did.

I had the only model laser disc player that could hold two discs at once for 4-sided continous play, but over the years a couple of plastic gears inside ground down into literal dust. One day, the inside of the laser disc player basically exploded, taking a copy of Jim Carrey's Liar Liar with it (like, one laser disc actually cracked in half inside), and I had to junk the player.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark times call for drastic measures, I suppose.

Is your LaserDisc mechanism repairable? Or is it a proprietary plastic gear/part that needs to be replaced?

this is after repair. The laserdisc player was originally non-operational at all. After a few nights of 3D printing some brackets and putting everything together, it now plays. The mechanism that flips the laser will spin, but I can't find any file for the gear to make the top laser move in and out, so only one side plays. Luckily, I can put the player into single-side mode and instead of trying to flip the laser (which results in a grinding motor noise which will eventually burn out the motor), it'll just open the disc tray after a side completes.

this is after repair. The laserdisc player was originally non-operational at all. After a few nights of 3D printing some brackets and putting everything together, it now plays. The mechanism that flips the laser will spin, but I can't find any file for the gear to make the top laser move in and out, so only one side plays. Luckily, I can put the player into single-side mode and instead of trying to flip the laser (which results in a grinding motor noise which will eventually burn out the motor), it'll just open the disc tray after a side completes.

Those plastic gears are the bane of old CD (or in this case, LaserDisc) technology.

My poor Sega CD is no longer functioning thanks to plastic gears.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those plastic gears are the bane of old CD (or in this case, LaserDisc) technology.

My poor Sega CD is no longer functioning thanks to plastic gears.

while i had everything disassembled and out, I made 3D scans of the plastic gears using my Kinect so, if this ever breaks again, I can recreate the missing parts.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
why are you subjecting yourself to Annihilation on any medium

even as a child i knew it sucked

and i liked the Double Dragon movie.

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
Is watching MK:A really any better on another format? No matter how you watch it, you're still watching Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

On the bright side, watching a feature length movie on a LaserDisc player with a broken fliping mechanism is still more convenient than watching it on actual film. Nothing like having to switch reels and rethread the film every 17 minutes. I can tell you from experience it really hurts the pacing. With disc flipping, it's kinda like having a bunch of extra intermissions. Besides, isn't that a CLV disc? That's only one or two extra flips, right?

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
ETnH2v2WAAYVO8L

It's every bit as bad as watching MK:A on any other device, except this laserdisc player's side swapping mechanism is broken so I have to manually flip the disc. Meaning, this movie actually tasks me with getting up and walking across the room and essentially popping the movie into the player twice to watch the movie once. More effort required than watching it any other way.

At least it's only 2 sides instead of some bigger 3+ side movies.

Where'd you get the arcade?

while i had everything disassembled and out, I made 3D scans of the plastic gears using my Kinect so, if this ever breaks again, I can recreate the missing parts.

I never realized Kinect could scan such small details!!

I'm really hoping in the future that someone will do something like that for all old CD-based consoles, so we'll have those gears on file for generations to come.

Usually the most fragile gears usually have replacements available, but for any abnormal gears, there nothing to be found.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, this laserdisc is being played through composite fed to a VCR, which is then being played through coaxial RF because the TV I am using has no RCA jacks at all.

Laserdisc -> composite -> VCR -> coaxial -> CRT

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Biteren

Oct 29, 2017
Op did you see the part where scorpion kidnaps kitana but in the previous scene you can see scorpion in the backgroun even tho he turned to goo to disapear?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Op did you see the part where scorpion kidnaps kitana but in the previous scene you can see scorpion in the backgroun even tho he turned to goo to disapear?

No, but i noticed that when they killed
Baraka
they showed a clip of
Scorpion or subzero or some ninja
dying instead on accident I think.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I sometimes wish i still had my pioneer laserrdisc player (it was broken as well)

But then i come back to my senses