• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dc3k

Feb 10, 2018
not america
Couldn't get into the original. Loved the sequel. This looks really cool.

I'm in, but Cyberpunk coming a month later has me thinking I'm not going to find time to finish playing it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I watched long enough to see that there's actual melee combat and not shitty ass "one hit canned animation instadeath" like there was in the first two games.
Game is immediately bought because of that.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's incredibly ambitious, and no game has taken on anything quite like this before. You can be sure to look forward to a handful of GDC talks from folks at Ubi going over how they achieved this, because it's literally groundbreaking.

Quite a change from the Ubisoft of yesteryear, who as recently as 2014 got in hot water for complaining that it was too hard to animate female characters.

They never said that it was too hard to animate women.

Look at what was said in the article.

What stopped them? Hutchinson said it was "purely a workload issue." The team didn't have a "female reader for the character" at its disposal, nor did it have "all the animations in place."
He went on to say that "in the future, moving forward, this sort of stuff will go away" once developers settle into the new and improved technology.

Which is exactly what happened with the next game.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
If every character in the game is recruitable, what's going to stop me for getting enemy characters with legal access to enemy compounds, and literally walk through the campaign?
Different NPCs start with different resistance levels. You can't just tap on anyone's shoulder. If they're not predisposed to appreciating Dedsec, then you have to study them, their environs, their schedule, and their relatives, then try to find a way to build sympathy with them. So presumably employees of Albion have super high resistance to being recruited, and then who knows how quickly they would get caught.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Goddamn Helen sold it for me. I bit disappointing that we moved on from the WD2 cast, i really liked them (obviously I think we'll see them as cameos like Aiden in 2).

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Different NPCs start with different resistance levels. You can't just tap on anyone's shoulder. If they're not predisposed to appreciating Dedsec, then you have to study them, their environs, their schedule, and their relatives, then try to find a way to build sympathy with them. So presumably employees of Albion have super high resistance to being recruited, and then who knows how quickly they would get caught.
Basically buy them a pint, give em a fag, or a nice shag, and then we're in business. Nice.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Cyberpunk 2077
Watch Dogs: Legion
Gods and Monsters
Skull and Bones

Q1 2020 is whack. My wallet weeps.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
If every character in the game is recruitable, what's going to stop me for getting enemy characters with legal access to enemy compounds, and literally walk through the campaign?
I imagine this is totally possible, but an Albion employee would have to be pretty careful not to blow their cover. As soon as they're rumbled you're going to lose their access.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
This is basically a kingsman game and i am loving it. I am just hoping its not scripted but they are making big promises. I wonder if being an old lady limits you from melee takedowns, things like that.

They didn't really mention that in the footage. Certain characters definetely run/parkoured different e.t.c

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
The graphics looked pretty damn poor. Like a step back from the first game.

Which is odd.
Yes the reveal trailer of the first game felt way better in term of quality than this but I think it's mainly the character design here feels poor or cuz the idea that you can control any NPC is the culprit

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
This is a really interesting idea. So many unknown design choices still, though. Looking forward to see how they have solved it.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
That 101 video was fucking amazing.

But didn't Prototype technically do this like a decade ago? Not at this depth but similarly you could turn into any NPC (including cops) and you could infiltrate high access areas if you stealth killed military leaders and then morphed into them.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
That 101 video was fucking amazing.

But didn't Prototype technically do this like a decade ago? Not at this depth but similarly you could turn into any NPC (including cops) and you could infiltrate high access areas if you stealth killed military leaders and then morphed into them.
That was just an skin for your character. This is a whole recruiting system with perks, abilities and different personalities. State of Decay on steroids.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
the shooting looked bland, like where's the blood effects and stuff. driving still looked mediocre too. all the other stuff like recruiting and grandma was rad though.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Looked interesting but all the guns really turned me off. It really looks like literally every person on the streets is carrying a gun with them, didn't recognize that when I last visited the UK lol

Jan 10, 2018
That old lady really felt like a unique and fresh representation. I can't remember if I've ever controller a character that age in a video game.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
the shooting looked bland, like where's the blood effects and stuff. driving still looked mediocre too. all the other stuff like recruiting and grandma was rad though.

THIS. The shooting and driving mechanics don't look improved at all. It's not like WD2 was released 3 years ago, 4 by the time WD3 releases...

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Ahh yes, I agree with you, sorry I thought you interpreted my post differently.

I do wonder how true is that full schedule, it sounds kinda crazy for such a big game haha
I don't know but if they can pull that off and everything else, it would certainly be a game that goes down in history. At the very least a GOTY contender.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
This actually looks incredible. Very interested by this "Play as anyone" idea. Hopefully it's implemented as well as they presented it.

Bummed that there's guns, as I think they're just shoe horned into games these days without much thought. Us Brits are better than guns, don't force them into our hands.

HaraChisu

Dec 12, 2017
As someone who lives in London I'm actually pretty excited about this. Obviously trying to keep hype in check due to past performace.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Wonder how it'll balance all the available characters? My concern is that in a narrative driven game, even an open-world one, it's important to relate or empathise with the protaganist. How's that going to work when you could end up swapping every 20 minutes?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This actually looks incredible. Very interested by this "Play as anyone" idea. Hopefully it's implemented as well as they presented it.

Bummed that there's guns, as I think they're just shoe horned into games these days without much thought. Us Brits are better than guns, don't force them into our hands.

The thought process is simple: if the game has guns, it will sell more. so most games still have guns.

but this game also has non lethal approaches where your character gets arrested instead of shot at.
basically, you risk permadeath of the character if you go in guns blazing which is more than other games provide.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Looked interesting but all the guns really turned me off. It really looks like literally every person on the streets is carrying a gun with them, didn't recognize that when I last visited the UK lol

I think that's part of the point behind the TOTALLY APOLITICAL setting. Brexit has led to Britain becoming a dystopian hellhole run by extremists and heavily armed mercenaries, leading people to have armed themselves out of fear of the new establishment.

It, depressingly, makes sense.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Meybe try playing the game then or look it up maxed out. Since so few people gave this game a shot im not surprised. Calling it mediocre graphically though is just bullshit
I played the game...and is not near the best open world games in terms of graphics...especially human models.

Maybe with some mods on pc like the first one, but not the vanilla version on console, that's for sure.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's part of the point behind the TOTALLY APOLITICAL setting. Brexit has led to Britain becoming a dystopian hellhole run by extremists and heavily armed mercenaries, leading people to have armed themselves out of fear of the new establishment.

It, depressingly, makes sense.
I still think that's fucking unrealistic. In all my life the only time I've see guns is holstered on the hips of police officers. And I don't think a dystopian Brexit would see thousands of weapons imported in the UK.
They had the chance to come up with cool gameplay to replace guns and instead they opted to go for the US of Britain. And you can actually see some cool elements in the gameplay footage like shocking people via their bluetooth headsets.

Jun 6, 2019
And you can actually see some cool elements in the gameplay footage like shocking people via their bluetooth headsets.

This is possible even in the first Watch Dogs. To be honest, I don't think we seen a single new hacking option. I'm totally with you. I was hoping for a more grounded and realistic representation of London.