• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
yep i really enjoyed it. it was too much fun. shame a lot people never gave it a chance because of the first one.

this is the game that ruined GTA V for me. couldn't go back to it after playing WD2. the world might be smaller and less detailed but it's so much more fun.

no.

the don't share any story or characters.

It's a loosely shared backstory though, but not at all necessary to play part 1. And part 1 kind of sucks anyway.

Also

Iconic hat man does put in an appearance.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
This game is great, though I wish they had just gone completely nonviolent with the arsenal. A bunch of hacktivists 3D printing assault rifles just felt way off from the tone of the characters/story.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
yep i really enjoyed it. it was too much fun. shame a lot people never gave it a chance because of the first one.

this is the game that ruined GTA V for me. couldn't go back to it after playing WD2. the world might be smaller and less detailed but it's so much more fun.

no.

the don't share any story or characters.
Actually, that's not true.

• T-Bone becomes part of the crew in the second half of the game.
  • Aiden is the subject of a side-mission and Marcus, for some inexplicable reason, idolizes him.
  • Jordi is a major player in the Human Conditions DLC.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
The standard "get to point A to start mission" that opens worlds suffer from. Felt more of a burden than adding anything to the over all game. I enjoyed the characters and some of the more focused missions.
That's not a negative in any game for me. It opens up options for the player.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Watch Dogs 1 is even better but the graphics blunder made people overlook it. Seriously great game.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
My only major complaint was that Ubisoft really should've went non-lethal (outside of maybe one mission) with this particular group of characters.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Like Assassin's Creed 2 and Far Cry 3 I think it was the next worthwhile evolution of the Ubisoft open world formula.

I tried to play through Assassin's Creed Origins and it doesn't compare. Watch Dogs 2 is lean but also a big game. Its systems are refined. Its encounter design is impressive (being able to complete a mission operating a drone). It's a really fantastic game.

Bishop

Nov 1, 2017
I liked the first game a lot and enjoyed the Online Hacking. There was a story, good dark tone and a very good setting.

I didn't like the over the top silly humor in WD 2, the colorful setting, the lack of focus in a story too. I can't remember any real villains in WD 2, while I can easily remember Iraq from WD 1 and he wasn't the main villain.

Fog and a light drizzle are the only real weather patterns in WD 2, I liked the sunny/cloudy/rainy/stormy days in WD 1 a lot more. Online Hacking was also ruined in WD 2, another reason I went back to the first game. Blackouts were really downgraded in WD 2 and even something as simple as causing a gas station explosion was much better looking in the first game. Plus the removal of focus mode in the second game.

Obviously I liked WD 1 but I didn't like WD 2.

sephiroth7x

Nov 2, 2017
Decent game. Was it underrated? Maybe.

What I really liked, was how streamlined it was. They didn't bloat it with tons of unnecessary side quests and fetch missions for no reason. Don't get me wrong, the painting side mission wasn't great but most missions always seemed like they wanted to impress.

As I say. Decent game overall. Maybe it was just a bit too forgettable?

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone play the DLC? Worth it?

The digital Gold edition is available on PS4 for $22. I may rebuy.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
That first third of the game was a blast. The cast of characters were amazing, the missions were lighthearted and fun.

Sadly the decisions made for this game muddied the pool.

Firstly, there shouldn't be any guns in this game. It went completely against the characters.

Secondly, what they did to Horatio and that whole story beat was awful. It came out of nowhere and it felt like it was shoehorned in. The conclusion of that story beat was awful too, especially if you're playing a 'no gun' run.

'YOU KILLED MY FRIEND! SO I TAZED YOU!' ==> MISSION COMPLETE!

I never completed the game, maybe I should go back to it.

But man, that bus scene had me rolling

I never related to a game so much as to this. I remember the first time I got into software development and people were like 'Are you INJT? You act like a INJT, I'm a INBE' and inside my mind I was like 'what the fuck is this person going on about....'.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like it. Dropped it after a few hours.

For me the first game was better. I loved the hacking options and the gunplay.

Fizzlefry9

Apr 23, 2018
I've wanted to play it, does it suffer from Ubification? As in is it the same cookie cutter formula for all their missions?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I don't think it is. I saw a lot of praise at released.
But there was a lot of cons, mainly about story / characters and weird mission design, mostly because there was both lethal and non lethal possibility, and it didn't worked.
This is what I am remembering from posts here.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah one of the most fun open world's I've had since Sleeping Dogs. I think the game did alright but Legion dropped Marcus so idk. I loved Marcus and crew. They could come across as edgy for the sake of edgy but idk, it hooked me. Loved the story, progression, world, mechanics, etc. felt like everything WD1 should have been, with likeable characters. Didn't take itself too seriously but knew when to be serious.

Just the other day i read about how in Israel people are receiving texts from the government (i could be wrong) when they've come into contact with someone with COVID-19, asking them to self-isolate, and having read reports that the trump admin wants to use phone location data for reacting to the pandemic, it reminded me of watch dogs2 It could come across as preachy sometimes but holy fuck, we're in that reality now.

Great game, i hope legion is just as good. Willing to give it a chance with new characters since they did so well with 2's cast

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
wish we could get an enhanced patch on XB1X.

I bought it and played the first couple hours before I had my 4KTV and XB1X and going back now looks rough.

Salty Catfish

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
That first third of the game was a blast. The cast of characters were amazing, the missions were lighthearted and fun.

Sadly the decisions made for this game muddied the pool.

Firstly, there shouldn't be any guns in this game. It went completely against the characters.

Secondly, what they did to Horatio and that whole story beat was awful. It came out of nowhere and it felt like it was shoehorned in. The conclusion of that story beat was awful too, especially if you're playing a 'no gun' run.

'YOU KILLED MY FRIEND! SO I TAZED YOU!' ==> MISSION COMPLETE!

I never completed the game, maybe I should go back to it.

But man, that bus scene had me rolling

I never related to a game so much as to this. I remember the first time I got into software development and people were like 'Are you INJT? You act like a INJT, I'm a INBE' and inside my mind I was like 'what the fuck is this person going on about....'.

Yup, these were my takeaways from the story as well. Should have just stuck to fun hacktivist capers. The "dark turn" was completely out of nowhere and did not fit the game at all.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree completely. It may look great and the location is cool but as a game it's grossly overrated IMO.

The first game was better than this one.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love WD2. It's such a fun sandbox to play in. I loved how silly the game was. The Horatio thing was the biggest misstep imo. The game seemed to not know what to do with him, sadly.

Overall, I wish there had been more adventures with Marcus and his Dedsec crew. WD Legion sounds fun, but also insanely stressful. I like the idea of every NPC being a potential main character, but I don't think I'll enjoy that level of freedom or choice. Sounds a bit too overwhelming.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Watch Dogs 2 is up there in the top games of the generation for me. I loved the gameplay, the writing, the setting, and especially the OST. Truly a fantastic game.
Yeah legitimately a top 10 of this gen for me. I liked WD1, but WD2 literally brought it up to a entirely different level.

Segaswirl

Feb 5, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland.
I enjoyed this game quite a bit. It's a shame it was never X enhanced though.

The multiplayer is fun. Hacking other players while hiding or trying to blend in with the NPC's can be quite intense and often hilarious as they run around trying to find you.

Quikies83

Oct 25, 2017
Mississippi
I see the first game is available with Games with Gold on Xbox.
Anything I should know or any tips before starting this? Style looks cool.

Oct 27, 2017
Overall, I wish there had been more adventures with Marcus and his Dedsec crew. WD Legion sounds fun, but also insanely stressful. I like the idea of every NPC being a potential main character, but I don't think I'll enjoy that level of freedom or choice. Sounds a bit too overwhelming.

The biggest worry with Legion is that as a player fantasy, entering a restricted area, then pulling out a grotesque pig's head (or a jewel-encrusted skull) and putting on my head does less than nothing for me, and if the motivation for playing though the game is to unlock increasingly wacky headgear, that's not interesting to me at all. Marcus (and Aiden) subtly pulling his bandana over his face when he's about to do something sneaky makes me feel like way more of a badass.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
It makes absolutely no sense for Marcus to murder people left and right considering what's going on with the story. Even if it's possible to finish the game without killing random dudes (I think?), it's something you have to go out of your way to accomplish.

I never got this, because it was clear to me that the game was heavily nudging you towards non-lethal play. If the character doesn't seem like someone who slaughters people, and the game gives you all the options not to slaughter people....yet you still slaughter people, then that's mostly on the player imo.

To me it felt like the lethal guns were just there for the online portion tbh.

Kabukimurder

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loved WD2. The first game is one of the dumbest games ever created, but the sequels more chilled tone and amazing open world made it the best modern day open world game since GTA 5.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I never got this, because it was clear to me that the game was heavily nudging you towards non-lethal play. If the character doesn't seem like someone who slaughters people, and the game gives you all the options not to slaughter people....yet you still slaughter people, then that's mostly on the player imo.

To me it felt like the lethal guns were just there for the online portion tbh.
There were so many times I blew something up unintentionally and killed enemies in my game I just gave up at some point.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed this game quite a bit. It's a shame it was never X enhanced though.

The multiplayer is fun. Hacking other players while hiding or trying to blend in with the NPC's can be quite intense and often hilarious as they run around trying to find you.

Inexplicable, actually. It looks fantastic on the Pro

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I tried getting into it but that the stealth is absolute trash in it, that first mission where you have to steal the trucks, I could not do that without being spotted.
The enemies have incredible sight and they are all over the place, you can't take out too many without alerting the others.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's quite different to the first game tone wise. I prefer the first for the moody atmosphere but the second was nice and colourful. Good play, great OST. Story, characters and the general memeness of the game is a let down though.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I killed a single person and I didn't particularly try hard or had a difficult time doing it. Be smart about the gadgets, people!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I tried getting into it but that the stealth is absolute trash in it, that first mission where you have to steal the trucks, I could not do that without being spotted.
The enemies have incredible sight and they are all over the place, you can't take out too many without alerting the others.

yeah, I remember disliking the stealth. Like, you can't even move corpses, come on. In a game that focuses stealth as its primary approach. The worst part is that when you get spotted, magically every other AI knows where you are - instantly.

this is why it really hurts that the gunplay has been downgraded so much compared to 1. Because there, it was fun to just start off stealthing, pick off a few guys and then just go loud. in WD2, it's not nearly as fun, Marcus dies too quickly, guns don't feel great, no slowmo, etc.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
There were so many times I blew something up unintentionally and killed enemies in my game I just gave up at some point.

I don't remember having that problem but I guess that makes sense.

The only times I went lethal in that game was

After Horacio died.

Went on a brief revenge spree at that gang hideout lol.

I also liked calling the cops on enemies to start huge gunfights, but that doesn't count as "lethal" imo because it's the cops doing the shooting haha.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
my only issue is that it has that insane Ubi bloat where its a map just flooded with icons.......its got an amazing setting and fantastic main character

But, it gives to many lethal options for a crew thats not about killing folks.....its fucking weird. I mean a shit load of guns are all lethal but in the context and story you are not supposed to be doing that.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Outside of the campaign, is there stuff to do? I always wondered about that. I havent spent much time in ubisofts open worlds lately and am not sure how fully realised these worlds are anymore.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I got it last summer for ÂŁ7 and for that it was ridiculously good value. I enjoyed it a lot; probably my favourite Ubisoft game this generation. It felt like a nice antidote to GTAV for me; much less serious and a fun tone with a gorgeous and vibrant game world to explore. I also love hacking into other people's games and stealing their money, although I felt like the system worked a little better in WD1. But anyway, I agree that it was really great and quite underrated.

Beautiful screenshots. Might try this, but the 'quirky, nerdy and funny' approach to the story and characters always discouraged me so far.

Honestly, they were a little grating at first but even so it was 100x better than the po-faced self-serious tone of the first game. I hated Aiden and pretty much all the other characters in that game.

I loved this game! I had such a good time getting the platinum.

Yeah, I got the Platinum too and I agree that it wasn't too difficult and on the whole was very enjoyable.

This, everything about the first game was better IMO, especially the darker story and atmosphere in general.

Ugh, I hated the tone of the first game so much. WD2 was much less serious and was all the better for it. The only thing which bothered me was that all of the weapons should have been nonlethal, as killing people did not stack up with the fun 'hacktivist' tone of the game. Especially when one of their primary goals is getting more followers on social media; killing people should have penalised you and lost followers.

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the campaign, is there stuff to do? I always wondered about that. I havent spent much time in ubisofts open worlds lately and am not sure how fully realised these worlds are anymore.

Yeah there are side missions, coop missions, invasions, various in-game events, races (boat, carts, drone, motorcycle), Uber like missions, going around discovering and photographing landmarks...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
my only issue is that it has that insane Ubi bloat where its a map just flooded with icons.......its got an amazing setting and fantastic main character

But, it gives to many lethal options for a crew thats not about killing folks.....its fucking weird. I mean a shit load of guns are all lethal but in the context and story you are not supposed to be doing that.

of all the ubi open world games, this is probably the least bloated, honestly.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday i was looking at my backlog and i wasn't in a mood to start new game so i decided to go and finish rest of the side missions and DLCs in Watch_Dogs 2, visiting sunny California wasn't bad idea while this whole house isolation is in effect :D And as soon as i booted the game i remembered how much i liked spending time in that world. In my opinion Watch_Dogs 2 is best Ubisoft game since Black Flag.

Map is not too big and filled with beautiful locations and you don't feel copy/paste job like you do in some of their recent games (AC Odyssey for example). And it is designed really well gameplay wise. You get a lot of freedom how to do thins with tools you have. And on top of that game is visually amazing

TtICmMe.png

tX2r6Tg.png

3tnpKXc.jpg

zF6X24E.png

c7mJQlk.png

ZKmGGC5.png

FWlzyex.png

There are some amazing art pieces in game too, like that one in the background.

3NoKxtB.png

And on top of that game features great cast of characters with really good voice acting and ok story. Marcus is one of the best characters Ubisoft created. I also love mission variety that game has to offer. And overall i like tone of the game and atmosphere in the city. It really is joy to play this game.

Then i look at Watch Dogs Legion and while they went after something interesting with any option to play with any NPC they also removed many things that made WD2 special. They went with darker atmosphere, no main characters just randomly generated ones, more violence...
OP, is this game related to the first one in any way? Meaning do I need to play the first one before I jump into this? And also how long did it take you to complete the main story?

Been very interested in trying it out!

OP
OP
dex3108

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
OP, is this game related to the first one in any way? Meaning do I need to play the first one before I jump into this? And also how long did it take you to complete the main story?

Been very interested in trying it out!

You don't need to play first game. And honestly i don't remember how long it took me to finish main story (i finished it when it was released) but i think that it is like 20h.

DodgeAnon

Oct 25, 2017
I played (and completed) both Watch Dogs 2 and Mafia 3 at the same time and I think it drove me insane.

Both games struggled heavily with repetitiveness, after the first hour or so you've basically played the entirety of the game... you just have to rinse-repeat for another 10 hours.

Finishing these two games are my biggest gaming regrets of recent times. God, I wish I had that time back.