• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I can't help but wonder if the UPS driver or bystander was struck by a police bullet or one of the hostage takers' bullets. Unbelievable that this left two innocent people dead.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
The TV stations down there are going to have to reevaluate their coverage after this. One of them showed the UPS driver being shot and falling over onto another body while trying to get out. They didn't bother zooming out at any point. Fucking unethical trash. God I hate TV news.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I made a new thread for this as it seems a much bigger story now.

The TV stations down there are going to have to reevaluate their coverage after this. One of them showed the UPS driver being shot and falling over onto another body while trying to get out. They didn't bother zooming out at any point. Fucking unethical trash. God I hate TV news.

I was expecting the news feed to cut away the moment the helicopter reporter mentioned gunfire. I always thought they would cut away to avoid just this sort of thing,.

KNZFive

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, the shootout happened right on a street my girlfriend and I were driving on last night.

And now 4 people are dead. Apparently the robbers were firing back at the cops as they were being chased down the Florida Turnpike, so the police were returning fire. But still...fucking hell.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I made a new thread for this as it seems a much bigger story now.

I was expecting the news feed to cut away the moment the helicopter reporter mentioned gunfire. I always thought they would cut away to avoid just this sort of thing,.

They're supposed to at the very least zoom way out so you can still get the scope of the situation, but not make out any details. These idiots just stayed zoomed in and their news directors decided to keep it on the air. Shameful.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, the shootout happened right on a street my girlfriend and I were driving on last night.

And now 4 people are dead. Apparently the robbers were firing back at the cops as they were being chased down the Florida Turnpike, so the police were returning fire. But still...fucking hell.

So let them go

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
They're supposed to at the very least zoom way out so you can still get the scope of the situation, but not make out any details. These idiots just stayed zoomed in and their news directors decided to keep it on the air. Shameful.

I worked at both of those news Stations, and protocol is to zoom away once it gets dicey. Then again, we are talking about Miami stations. Its a very competitive Market... I can't even imagine what the Producer was thinking in that situation.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I worked at both of those news Stations, and protocol is to zoom away once it gets dicey. Then again, we are talking about Miami stations. Its a very competitive Market... I can't even imagine what the Producer was thinking in that situation.

I know it's a competitive market, but the November book ended last week. It's not a huge ratings period. Hell, half the stations' staffs are probably on vacation right now.

All I know is stuff like this is why I'm trying to get out of TV news.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
What a fucking shitshow. I understand they were shooting at police, but returning a hail of fire in the middle of the street with bystanders and hostages? I honestly wouldnt be surprised if it was the cops bullets that killed the hostages and bystander, rather than the criminals (And of course it's going to get covered up or downplayed if it was).

This wild west mentality is getting out of hand, the cops deserve to be sued into oblivion for this. I feel horrible for those hostages and bystanders and their families.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I was amazed they didn't zoom out.

I've seen a bunch of these chases and sometimes when they even THINK something could get dicey, they cut away. These guys recorded the entire shoot out and then the bodies on the ground.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I was amazed they didn't zoom out.

I've seen a bunch of these chases and sometimes when they even THINK something could get dicey, they cut away. These guys recorded the entire shoot out and then the bodies on the ground.

I wouldn't be surprised if the photog loses his job once this starts spreading online.
I know it's a competitive market, but the November book ended last week. It's not a huge ratings period. Hell, half the stations' staffs are probably on vacation right now.

All I know is stuff like this is why I'm trying to get out of TV news.

lol.. Holiday Vacation in the news industry, that's funny. Guaranteed they are fully staffed today. Also, they were probably thinking national during this whole fiasco.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017

This is the first time I've read that the UPS Driver was shot out in front of cameras.

This is why it's important for shit like this to be broadcast. The public needs to know the truth.. be it, it happened exactly how this poster put it...or differently.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if the photog loses his job once this starts spreading online.

lol.. Holiday Vacation in the news industry, that's funny. Guaranteed they are fully staffed today. Also, they were probably thinking national during this whole fiasco.

I didn't think about the national aspect, good point.

This is the first time I've read that the UPS Driver was shot out in front of cameras.

This is why it's important for shit like this to be broadcast. The public needs to know the truth.. be it, it happened exactly how this poster put it...or differently.

There was a chopper on the opposite side from the angle posted in this thread. The video is making the rounds on Twitter.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Only because the US has the setup to catch this stuff asap, other countries totally would if they could.
Australia's national broadcaster covered the 2010 Manila hostage on their then newly launched news channel, which ended in footage of the person slumped dead over the doors. There was a review of whether that sort of coverage was necessary and in the end it was decided it was not in the public interest tobroadcast live footage of such crises in future.

So no, there isn't a case of others totally would if they could, every country has a difference balance of coverage versus public decency.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I really feel shitty for ever watching these videos.

If you feel you are watching for the "wrong" reasons... then yes, feel shitty and don't watch from now on.

But these LIVE scenarios are important for the public. If there was no footage, we wouldn't know what truly happened for a while.

If this live footage speeds up any changes to how to handle a similar situation, then it's worth it to be shown live.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Shit, that stuff reminds me of the stuff they show in the Hispanic news stations like Primer Impacto. No filter whatsoever when it comes to the violent stuff. Sad to see the UPS driver didn't make it out alive, very sad and infuriating since he was held hostage.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, that stuff reminds me of the stuff they show in the Hispanic news stations like Primer Impacto. No filter whatsoever when it comes to the violent stuff. Sad to see the UPS driver didn't make it out alive, very sad and infuriating since he was held hostage.
What about that person just sitting in their car at the light who died because police decided to have a shootout in the midst of traffic?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
just had flashbacks to my moms loud ass tv watching of that. and the loud judge lady show.
and then shed get mad at me for having ear phones in -_-

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If you feel you are watching for the "wrong" reasons... then yes, feel shitty and don't watch from now on.

But these LIVE scenarios are important for the public. If there was no footage, we wouldn't know what truly happened for a while.

If this live footage speeds up any changes to how to handle a similar situation, then it's worth it to be shown live.

To be fair, I doubt the name ChaseERA or earlier Chasegaf or whatever implies the importance you're describing. But yeah, I suck.

Based0ne

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
What about that person just sitting in their car at the light who died because police decided to have a shootout in the midst of traffic?
Wasn't able to see that part since I saw the video that was linked in the original post but, did see the 2nd perspective video with the UPS driver crawling out with his hand out. That shit hit me hard, fuck that BS. I can only imagine how hard it was to see that. RIP to the innocent bystander.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Horrible, I am on these roads every day. Why the hell is there a shoot out in the middle of traffic, the FBI is involved now I am assuming heads will role. Imagine being in a car that's being used as a shield by the police in a shootout, horrifying.

There are videos out of guys in cars filming, thankfully you don't see anyone die in those just the chaos of the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.