• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would say it Optimised around 30 fps so scaling higher is much harder than usual. The game is incredibly dense for objects on screen. Before I played it, I loaded up the original watch dogs... Legion has easily 10x the geometry and objects on screen while also having better textures, effects, etc.
Intresting, I do wonder how the old consoles will hold up when playing this.
Will DF do a new versus old Gen comparison?
Sorry if you already answered this.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I would say it Optimised around 30 fps so scaling higher is much harder than usual. The game is incredibly dense for objects on screen. Before I played it, I loaded up the original watch dogs... Legion has easily 10x the geometry and objects on screen while also having better textures, effects, etc.

The London Environement must have more geometry by the virtue of having more distinct buildings.
Amazing to think they are running in the same hardware really

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just to clarify, isn't VRR a system-wide toggle with Xbox?

Like, it's honestly fair game to mention it on Ubi's part, but it just works at all times if you enable it at the system level, right? That was my impression with the Xbox One X implementation — the game doesn't necessarily need to support it, it just works when it's enabled on a compatible display and the game is running within supported refresh rates.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
The London Environement must have more geometry by the virtue of having more distinct buildings.
Amazing to think they are running in the same hardware really
Watch Dogs was a ps3/360 gen game, that's why tbh

Pretty impressive that it was on those consoles

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017

Like, it's honestly fair game to mention it on Ubi's part, but it just works at all times if you enable it at the system level, right? That was my impression with the Xbox One X implementation — the game doesn't necessarily need to support it, it just works when it's enabled on a compatible display and the game is running within supported refresh rates.
It should be the same. I think they are just using it as a next gen marketing bit in this video. I'm gonna imagine that majority of people didn't utilize it this gen, so it's able to be recycled as a next gen feature.
Theoretically I would imagine this game supports VRR on one x as well, just not sure what kind of FPS it's outputting on this.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Never been interested in the series because of the concept but the game looks great imo.
So it seems clear that when Ubisoft is talking about '4K' it's actually dynamic 4K on next gen platforms.
Nothing necessarily bad because dynamic is the way to go instead of wasting resources for an empty bullet point of native 4K at the cost of other features that contribute more to make the game impressive looking.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
The ray tracing is really impressive but I don't like watch dogs. This makes me want next gen splinter cell so bad.

Splinter Cell and Raytracing is a match made in heaven.

it's like the Raytracing killer app, in the same way that the original splinter cell relied heavily on shadow maps.

Reflections in a stealth game is when raytracing becomes a game changer in terms of gameplay

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Platform wars
PS5 would probably melt trying to do this.

Edit: This was a joke referring to the original Watch Dogs on PS4. Too subtle I guess.

Last edited:

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
YY4VFXK.png

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
This actually looks really comparable to the original Watch Dogs "next-gen" premiere video... finally. Looks quite nice.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Damn this no doubt settled in. Was thinking of starting it on my One X soon but I'm waiting the few weeks to have the entire experience be among my first next gen experiences. It seems silly not to wait since I do have the Series X preordered.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

This is impressive but it could be very surprising for some considering they didn't expect such RT quality form next-gen consoles, while it's not surprising at all for me cus I was expecting next-gen consoels to deliver in that regard.

Apr 30, 2019
So are all the light sources in the game ray traced? If that makes sense? For example if I could build walls like in fortnight and made a box around myself would it be pitch black inside?

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

This is impressive but it could be very surprising for some considering they didn't expect such RT quality form next-gen consoles, while it's not surprising at all for me cus I was expecting next-gen consoels to deliver in that regard.

3080 RT looks higher res to me, but comparative quality of the footage not ideal. Regardless, good early effort for consoles on that front.

Not a fan how this game handles construction materials and the way they interact with light though. That aspect looks firmly current gen.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
3080 RT looks higher res to me, but comparative quality of the footage not ideal. Regardless, good early effort for consoles on that front.

Not a fan how this game handles construction materials and the way they interact with light though. That aspect looks firmly current gen.

Yes, the XSX footage in that comparison looks blurrier than the oriignal youtube vidoe while the PC footage is direct feed so we need direct feed vs direct feed for proper comparisons.
Indeed. This is not the ebst example of RT especially all current-gen brute forcing RT as an after effect. Later proper next-gen games will be built from scratch with RT mind so not only thry gonna look better but they will have better performance too.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

It's a system wide toggle, a game needs to be using the Xbox's vsync option for it to function (no in game toggle)

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game wasn't even on my radar but it looks so colourful. I might have to get it just for that. The aesthetics are awesome, even if I don't know if I'd like the gameplay.

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
The ray tracing is really impressive but I don't like watch dogs. This makes me want next gen splinter cell so bad.
I used to think the same thing, but aside from backcompat: the desire to play anything remotely similar to it was real.

and then i recently started watch dogs 2 and after a few hours getting to grips w/ it: i'm really starting to appreciate it for it's own merits.

Saying that: i did mainly just stick to main missions and treat it like a stealth game.

if you haven't tried it yet: i'd say it's worth it, esp. since it's cheap now