• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
The game is dynamic 4k not native

From a guy on B3D

forum.beyond3d.com

Watch Dogs: Legion [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC]

Yeah reflections are good of course with RT but for lighting it looks like they're adding a single sky source light that gets a ray traced pass over their existing lighting system. Very meh. Worth it for reflections but I'd hope you can turn off any attempt at lighting.

1440p at 1 minute 11, it will be the same on PS5 and this is logic compared to Ampere GPU performance.

YD3aGVK.png

uOFTFRvl.png

Maybe it is true, but from the same B3D user:

According to RGT they have designed (or co-designed) their own Geometry Engine and it will be included into RDNA3. This is most probably what Cerny was talking about in his Road to PS5..

Or

They also have their own version of VRS (using the new GE) which should be a better way to do it than MS's VRS.

I don't know if I can trust in a user that believe that PS5 has RDNA3 tech.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Maybe it is true, but from the same B3D user:

Or

I don't know if I can trust in a user that believe that PS5 has RDNA3 tech.

lol from dictator and he arrives to the same conclusiom.

forum.beyond3d.com

Yeah reflections are good of course with RT but for lighting it looks like they're adding a single sky source light that gets a ray traced pass over their existing lighting system. Very meh. Worth it for reflections but I'd hope you can turn off any attempt at lighting.

There is a logic if a 3090 suffer with native 4k 30 fps ultra and Raytracing. There is zero chance it will run at native 4k on next-generation console. Here dynamic resolution and temporal reconstruction looks good. This is a great compromise.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
lol from dictator and he arrives to the same conclusiom.

forum.beyond3d.com

There is a logic if a 3090 suffer with native 4k 30 fps ultra and Raytracing. There is zero chance it will run at native 4k on next-generation console. Here dynamic resolution and temporal reconstruction looks good. This is a great compromise.

Sure, it is hard to believe that the game is 4k native and it is more reasonable that it is dynamic 4K, but just checking user posts, IMHO he looks like a "console warrior".

EDIT: And I trust Dictator.

EDIT2: what if.... the game is using VRS and that zone has less quality image?

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Sure, it is hard to believe that the game is 4k native and it is more reasonable that it is dynamic 4K, but just checking user posts, IMHO he looks like a "console warrior".

EDIT: And I trust Dictator.

EDIT2: what if.... the game is using VRS and that zone has less quality image?

Again he has reason if you read the patent this is a form of VRS using the geometry engine. Sony have multiple patents on the subject. This is very different of how microsoft and AMD with RDNA 2 are doing it maybe a custom approach on PS5.

VRS doesn't affect edge of the object.

Optmst

Apr 9, 2020

From a guy on B3D

forum.beyond3d.com

1440p at 1 minute 11, it will be the same on PS5 and this is logic compared to Ampere GPU performance.

YD3aGVK.png

uOFTFRvl.png
Thread-worthy

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Dynamic resolution shouldn't be seen as a negative. It allows for games to perform better, plus we have HDMI VRR this gen, so if the game does get any frame rate drops, it won't be a big issue.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Dynamic resolution shouldn't be seen as a negative. It allows for games to perform better, plus we have HDMI VRR this gen, so if the game does get any frame rate drops, it won't be a big issue.
I dunno, there isn't many obvious bottlenecks with this new gen as there is with the last one, so one would think there would be more "true" and "stable" performance across the board. Obviously RT is still basically in it's first generation so maybe the mid-gen refreshes can achieve that "100% stability"

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah I've said this before a few times on here that actually Games will be better if they are not native. Native 4k uses too much power when we have so many rendering techniques that can produce great looking games at much better performance. This is something that will last all gen and its going to be really difficult to just compare platforms and say x is x rssolution and y is y resolution because its much more complex than a resolution number now.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I dunno, there isn't many obvious bottlenecks with this new gen as there is with the last one, so one would think there would be more "true" and "stable" performance across the board. Obviously RT is still basically in it's first generation so maybe the mid-gen refreshes can achieve that "100% stability"
I think you have to rule all that out when dealing with ray tracing. It's so far proven to be extremely expensive on any hardware. Without ray tracing performance will be more consistent across the board, but dynamic resolution should still be in play if a game can't hold its target.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, the scene looks a tiny bit less interesting during daytime.

watchdogslegion_2020_fhjo9.jpg

It doesn't matter, granted the game isn't exactly the best looking (IMO), its new and shiny (literally) and that is more than enough for folks. I guess. Though, on the flip side, if they didn't showcase raytracing at night... it really is the only case to be made for RT even being in this game.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The shots in this video sure are impressive but in the PC gameplay videos I saw the game looks kinda bland, even at night time. But I'm skipping the game anyway, I really dislike Ubi games.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ah so its not native 4k? Can i shut off ray tracing to make it native 4k if i wanted to? Dont get why they wont just say dynamic 4k or 1800p if its not native 4k. Why be so misleading? Sony straight up says if a game is dynamic 4k

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Well he is console warrior if you check more about his posting history.
And geometry engine? that's a feature RDNA1 already have.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't care at all for this game before but that looks absolutely amazing
This is me as well, that looks amazing indeed. Not just the raytracing but the boat and water movement, cars and driving, city, animations, even the slow walk animation and the rucksack moving is oddly satisfying. I'm just impressed of it all really, looks super polished here.

30fps still stings in 2020 though, especially since there is racing, but I'll definite take a closer look at it now.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
forum.beyond3d.com

kids happy with candy pack for each one, when counting candies, one pack has one more than the other, and the meltdowns begin.

The best resolution is native 4k and it seems the worst resolution is 1440p. This is good. This is 499 dollars consoles. More powerful PC have difficulty to play on ultra settings plus RT at 30 fps.

5-2-3.jpg.webp

Very curious why they did not offer a 60 fps mode without raytracing.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
By the way, the scene looks a tiny bit less interesting during daytime.

watchdogslegion_2020_fhjo9.jpg

small thumbnail on my phone screen looks like an actual photograph.
Lighting, occlusion (and bounce?) are very convincing, I actually find this more interesting than flashy nighttime wet shots.

Now granted, when I look at the full size image things fall apart; what's with the surface of the street getting all detail erased 3 meters away? bugged AF? and those NPCs and interactive elements loosing AO very soon.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
Damn, I keep watching this trailer. The game legit looks pretty amazing on Series X. Really impressed by how good the Ray Tracing is.

I'm actually considering getting this on launch day now. Too bad it doesn't have a 1440p 60 mode with Ray Tracing. The only thing holding me back is the possibility of grabbing an RX 6800 XT around the same time, and knowing I potentially could have played it on PC at 60fps.

Anyways, decisions, decisions ;).

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
small thumbnail on my phone screen looks like an actual photograph.
Lighting, occlusion (and bounce?) are very convincing, I actually find this more interesting than flashy nighttime wet shots.

Now granted, when I look at the full size image things fall apart; what's with the surface of the street getting all detail erased 3 meters away? bugged AF? and those NPCs and interactive elements loosing AO very soon.

Wow you're not kidding. It looks almost photorealistic on my phone. Far more impressive than the night time shots.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
The raytracing is impressive, and the game looks pretty nice at night. Although the lighting model leaves a bit to be desired, and the way it interacts with materials.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
forum.beyond3d.com

kids happy with candy pack for each one, when counting candies, one pack has one more than the other, and the meltdowns begin.

The best resolution is native 4k and it seems the worst resolution is 1440p. This is good. This is 499 dollars consoles. More powerful PC have difficulty to play on ultra settings plus RT at 30 fps.

5-2-3.jpg.webp

Very curious why they did not offer a 60 fps mode without raytracing.
That would have been nice, but I do not think this engine would manage 60 fps very well on console even without rt - it is stupidly heavy on CPUs on PC.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

From a guy on B3D

forum.beyond3d.com

YD3aGVK.png

uOFTFRvl.png

This is thread worthy Chris.

Especially because it will mean we will get a good indication of the technical and power differences between PS5 and XSX from the start - the game is running dynamic 4K on both from what we have read. So we will be able to see what drops where, how severe the drops are. In an open world game using RT - ie: the most challenging set of conditions.

And this is how I expect most games to go this gen. Both will be native 4K and dynamic resolution with likely some form of reconstruction. Frame rates should be stable but resolution will drop based on load. PS5 more likely to drop and more likely to drop more during action.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
This is thread worthy Chris.

Especially because it will mean we will get a good indication of the technical and power differences between PS5 and XSX from the start - the game is running dynamic 4K on both from what we have read. So we will be able to see what drops where, how severe the drops are. In an open world game using RT - ie: the most challenging set of conditions.

And this is how I expect most games to go this gen. Both will be native 4K and dynamic resolution with likely some form of reconstruction. Frame rates should be stable but resolution will drop based on load. PS5 more likely to drop and more likely to drop more during action.

You can do it I don't have time to do it now. I need to go.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
So would you say the engine is not very well optimized?
I would say it Optimised around 30 fps so scaling higher is much harder than usual. The game is incredibly dense for objects on screen. Before I played it, I loaded up the original watch dogs... Legion has easily 10x the geometry and objects on screen while also having better textures, effects, etc.