• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't fully understand these dlss modes? DLSS Quality higher res than DLSS performance? Because very high ray tracing is using dlss quality while ultra is using dlss performance. Typically the cpu matters more at lower resolutions so is dlss performance running at lower rendering resolution than DLSS Quality?

Edit:. Maybe they are both rendering at 1080p then but don't know for sure.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
This game only has RT for reflections right? CP2077 is adding Shadows, diffuse illumination and ambient occlusion ontop. Really curious how well thats gonna run, interesting time ahead.

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
I don't fully understand these dlss modes? DLSS Quality higher res than DLSS performance? Because very high ray tracing is using dlss quality while ultra is using dlss performance. Typically the cpu matters more at lower resolutions so is dlss performance running at lower rendering resolution than DLSS Quality?

Edit:. Maybe they are both rendering at 1080p then but don't know for sure.

the high setting is running 1440p with quality dlss which will make the actual render resolution under 1080p, probably around 900p. The ultra is 4k with performance dlss which would make it about 1080p render resolution. The ultra setting is probably also using more rays than high aswell, so the reflections might look a little less noisy and/or blurry. Gonna need DF to do their thing to see if the difference between quality is worth it, but im guessing optimized settings will use high RT.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully its more optimised than WD2 cause holyshit that game runs like shit maxed out 1080p on a 2080.

Dries

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
Others have mentioned this, but the increase in resolution meaning needing a beefier CPU is still strange to me.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Others have mentioned this, but the increase in resolution meaning needing a beefier CPU is still strange to me.
These are just random system requirements - it can mean absolutely nothing in praxis.

It is not just the output resolution which is increasing here - but the settings as well (like ultra rt). If the RT changes the amount of objects in the BVH structure the higher it is set, it will increase CPU requirements as well as GPU requirements. It has nothing to do with resolution.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure?
My 1080ti is always on 99% while playing WD2, while cpu (8700k) is in the 50-80 range.
Yeah, Gamers Nexus did a report back then on how it's really CPU bound:

Watch Dogs 2 CPU Optimization Guide & Graphics Benchmarks | GamersNexus

stub One interesting aspect of the Watch_Dogs 2 benchmarking we did for our 2500K revisit was the difference in performance between i5s and i7s. At stock speeds, the i7-2600K was easily outpacing the i5-2500K by roughly 15 FPS—and even more interestingly, the i7-6700K managed to hit our GTX...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
This was supposed to be 60fps on the PS5, right? I'm sure my rig could handle it at 1440p just fine, but I could give it a break and play these cross-gen 60fps games on the PS5 since I'm getting one anyway.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Gamers Nexus did a report back then on how it's really CPU bound:

Well, I am playing the game at 0% extra detail.
Not sure if the patches affected the performance, but my gpu is always at 99%, while cpu is not.
I still get sub-60 drops even in 1080p. I've been playing the game at 4k+temporal+70% scaling, it works ok, but drops do happen.

I've tried it at 4k with max settings in 30fps and still thought the game does not look that good.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This was supposed to be 60fps on the PS5, right? I'm sure my rig could handle it at 1440p just fine, but I could give it a break and play these cross-gen 60fps games on the PS5 since I'm getting one anyway.

dont think they said anything about the framerate on consoles

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ready for 4k raytracing!

... Or turning down some settings to get a higher framerate. We'll see. Depends what that top end is targeting.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
high framerates in an open world ubi game? in a watch dogs game nonetheless? I wouldnt get my hopes up.
I suppose it's my optimism since my rig is pretty much the exact requirement for 4K DLSS.

The GPU and CPU are right on the dot for me as I have the 9900k and the 3080 but I am well over the other metrics needed so I'm not necessarily worried but I would like to run the game at a little bit of a higher frame rate so obviously I'm going to have to do some tweaking.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
The sliders especially extra details were dumb heavy in WD2 and max settings were visually not worth it at all. I would expect the same of WDL and with the addition of RT in an open world game it'll probably bring computers to their knees on both CPU and GPU side this time.

Will be interesting to see the differences between WDL and 2077's open world RT implementations.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018

Skip to 3:10 to look at video settings

-VRAM Usage is 7.6GB at 1440p maxed out or 8.2GB at 4k according to the toolbar in the bottom right

-Enabling Medium RT reflections further increases usage from 7675MB to 8363MB (with only a minor change increasing to High/Ultra)

-DLSS doesn't seem to change the VRAM used much, but of course we'll have to test it ourselves to see just how much is being used

Last edited:

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the dreaded extra details slider is back. Can't wait to see everyone complain that the game isn't optimized when they crank it all the way up for essentially zero visual difference.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017

Skip to 3:10 to look at video settings

-VRAM Usage is 7.6GB at 1440p maxed out or 8.2GB at 4k according to the toolbar in the bottom right

-Enabling Medium RT reflections further increases usage from 7675MB to 8363MB (with only a minor change increasing to High/Ultra)

-DLSS doesn't seem to change the VRAM used much, but of course we'll have to test it ourselves to see just how much is being used

But it's that real usage, or just how much is allocated?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Lmao the dreaded extra details slider is back. Can't wait to see everyone complain that the game isn't optimized when they crank it all the way up for essentially zero visual difference.
Haha, watch any benchmark of the game on YouTube and people are somehow surprised that performance is mixed even though they're using PCSS and 100% extra details
But it's that real usage, or just how much is allocated?
No idea, it'll probably be allocation. I couldn't test WD2 with afterburner to see how much that was using so I'm not sure legion will let us either

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Game can now be preloaded on Uplay including those with Uplay+ subscriptions.
Once you preload you can install the HD Texture Pack too which is an additional 14GB.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017

They announced a few weeks ago the game is going to run 4k@30 with RT on XSX and PS5. There was some wiggle room for semantics in the statement where you could postulate about there being other graphical options (maybe a 1440p60), but I suspect that is wishful thinking.