• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017

Ej33Cf3XgAEDV87.jpg

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit at the 1440p DLSS RT
The pain of the 3080 stock hits me again

1440p at high settings, RT and DLSS is probably enough for my 2070 super I suppose

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
BuT 10gB WoNt bE eNoUg!!!!

Remember the last thread where people tried to argue that because a 2080ti was recced for 4k a 10gb 3080 wouldn't be enough rofl.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Ouch. I guess next gen consoles targeting 1440p-4k dynamic at high settings maybe with a no/tiny amount of ray tracing.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Holy cow. Man RT without DLSS is going to be either really low quality on consoles, or running at 30 FPS max or most likely both).

Even on PC it looks like DLSS balanced or performance is going to be it for RT even on high end GPU's (unless you're doing 1440p or under).

At least right now. I wonder if in the future ray tracing can be more optimized? Maybe improvements on denoising and other parts of the pipeline can improve performance without impacting quality too much? Otherwise we're stuck waiting for more and more powerful ray tracing hardware in the future.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hm, my laptop would give me high settings at 1080p. Wonder if I could get solid 60fps.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
They are not fucking about - these specs are insane! New generation approaches! I wonder how CPU intensive it'll be, much like Watchdogs 2. Feels like I'll be capping it at 30fps and turning all the RT goodness on to marvel at the visuals.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
Getting this bundled with 3080 FE, curious if Ultra RT actually works on my 6700k despite their claims that you need a 9000 series. Early looks seem to think that it should be fine, with maybe slight fps drops.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me the jump from a 1600 to a 3600 cpu going from high 1080p to 1440p? I thought resolution bumps were mainly gpu dependant, so why the big increase in cpu needed?

FaviousM

Aug 20, 2020
Cool, only planning on playing this as it came with my 3080 but should be good for 1440p Ultra Ray Tracing judging by those requirements.

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Aw crap. Just got a new video card and now I need a new CPU to play at 1440p. I thought cpus mattered more at lower resolution/high frame rate. But on this chart they go up with resolution.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
RT for these open world games is a murderer, that's why CP2077 had me spooked for so long

Interested to see AC Valhalla reqs

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really get this chart, but eh. Will wait for Zen 3 before I'll start playing.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
This is a cross-gen game and they're recommending PCs with twice the power of the next-gen consoles? What the fuck?

This almost seems like more of a marketing gimmick to trick people into thinking this is a "truly next-gen" game. And then everybody can be amazed at how "well optimized" it is and how well it runs on hardware that's not up to these "recommended" specs.

leecming

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Aren't they just tying VRAM to the recommended GPUs for each tier?
Talking about a current gen game somehow being the ceiling of VRAM usage for upcoming next-gen games seems dumb

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
These specs seem ridiculous regarding how the game looks.
I was thinking the same thing.
Still hoping though that what they were showing were only the gimped current gen console versions so they can do an impressive media blowout once the game releases on next gen consoles and show some next gen looking graphics.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BuT 10gB WoNt bE eNoUg!!!!

Remember the last thread where people tried to argue that because a 2080ti was recced for 4k a 10gb 3080 wouldn't be enough rofl.
Not even a month has passed and games are already recommending the full VRAM capacity of 3080 card. Yeah, that's "ROFL" and "LOL" indeed. When I bought my 1080Ti it took years for games catch up to VRAM capacity of that GPU.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Seems pretty high. I feel like cyberpunk rtx requirements will be similar

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Antagonising other members
Not even a month has passed and games are already recommending the full VRAM capacity of 3080 card. Yeah, that's "ROFL" and "LOL" indeed. When I bought my 1080Ti it took years for games catch up to VRAM capacity of that GPU.
I'm surprised they didn't permaban you yet for how dishonest you are. They're not demanding the full VRAM capacity, they're just putting the full vram capacity of the card there. Same for the 2080ti before that.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Still hoping though that what they were showing were only the gimped current gen console versions so they can do an impressive media blowout once the game releases on next gen consoles and show some next gen looking graphics.
Sadly, there's been some confirmed PC footage (I think DF did at least one video with it), and the raytraced puddles are about the only thing that sets it apart.

I'm sure it'll allocate as much memory as it can, so it will look like it's using all of it in RTSS (without that new per-process display turned on), but it'll really only be using about 4GB or so.. lol.

I've got a secondary display set up to show system statistics, I should see if I can get it to show actual utilization instead of just allocation.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised they didn't permaban you yet for how dishonest you are. They're not demanding the full VRAM capacity, they're just putting the full vram capacity of the card there. Same for the 2080ti before that.
You woke up on the wrong side or something? What's with insane hostility, permaban me for what exactly? Its says right there in system requirements that 10GB VRAM is recommended.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Damn it looks like another case of "do I buy PC or Series X"
I can't wait to see performance numbers on Series X because I just can't make a decision before. My computer may be better if the game isn't "made" for Series X but if it's just current gen with better FPS then my PC will be better...aaaahhhh!!!
Crazy times. I should have bought a 3080 and just gone PC for all these lol

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You woke up on the wrong side or something? What's with insane hostility, permaban me for what exactly? Its says right there in system requirements that 10GB VRAM is recommended.

It's definitely just a coincidence that the previous system requirements they listed for this, when the 2080Ti was the highest end card, used 11GB of VRAM then?

WDLPCSpecs_RTX-v9_Blue-960.jpg

They're just using whatever memory capacity their recommended card has.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ok, so a 3080 at 1440p ultra with DLSS quality is going to do well at 60+fps I'd hope lol

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Weeeeew that's a heavy game for RT!

Really excited for it though! (i hope my 3080 arrives by then.........)

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely just a coincidence that the previous system requirements they listed for this, when the 2080Ti was the highest end card, used 11GB of VRAM then?

WDLPCSpecs_RTX-v9_Blue-960.jpg

They're just using whatever memory capacity their recommended card has.
Yeah, we know that's what they're doing, it's just fucking stupid, is all. The game isn't going to cap all 10GB of a 3080, not even close. So why "recommend" having 10GB of VRAM? It's fucking stupid. I'm repeating myself now. But it's fucking stupid.

Aug 30, 2020
Pretty steep for just RTX reflections (seemingly all they're doing), compared to some other RTX games doing a lot more RTX effects.

Watch Dogs would really benefit from RTX GI and/or shadows as the lighting model is horrid. (At least in daylight)

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Watch Dogs 2's menu have a bar that showed exactly how much VRAM each setting used when it was turned on? I hope this game has that too. Should clear up some arguments at least.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty steep for just RTX reflections (seemingly all they're doing), compared to some other RTX games doing a lot more RTX effects.

Watch Dogs would really benefit from RTX GI and/or shadows as the lighting model is horrid. (At least in daylight)
Wow, you're right, that DF preview from a while ago only shows RT reflections in the settings menu. For some reason I was thinking they'd be doing more. Definitely seems expensive to require a 3080 at 4K DLSS performance mode...

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
4k is using DLSS performance too...This is very demanding haha

Didn't Watch Dogs 2's menu have a bar that showed exactly how much VRAM each setting used when it was turned on? I hope this game has that too. Should clear up some arguments at least.
It did and it will. Most of Ubi's PC versions show this.