• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I plan on playing on a 3840 x 1600 ultrawide. Since there's no DLSS for ultrawide settings, I'm probably doomed. Even with a 3090.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I would think ultra or nonultra wouldnt matter. Control did fine with 3440x1440p
Ultra can always matter. Every game is different and some developers do dumb shit with some of their "Ultra" settings. It's why it is almost always recommended to take 1 step down. Especially when it involves lighting, shadows, or certain effects. It just taxes your system for little to no precipitable benefit.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Ultra can always matter. Every game is different and some developers do dumb shit with some of their "Ultra" settings. It's why it is almost always recommended to take 1 step down. Especially when it involves lighting, shadows, or certain effects. It just taxes your system for little to no precipitable benefit.
I am referring to monitor sizes

Plum

May 31, 2018
Videos like this are why I think news outlets such as Digital Foundry, which don't fall into the whole "MUST HAVE ULTRA SETTINGS! FOMO!" mindset that's all-too-common in PC gaming circles, are so important.

Watching this you'd be forgiven to believe that the 3090, a $1,500 card, is "unable" to run this game 'how it's meant to be played'. In reality modern-day PC settings almost always have multiple graphical settings that showcase incredibly minimal graphical improvement at the cost of incredibly significant performance reductions. You can very often have a list of 'Recommended Settings' that look almost identical to 'Ultra' whilst offering substantial performance improvements.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Is the 3090 really the limit though, every test the person did had the game say "your CPU is suck" in the impact screen. Ultra shadows limiting FPS?
I plan on playing on a 3840 x 1600 ultrawide. Since there's no DLSS for ultrawide settings, I'm probably doomed. Even with a 3090.
only for 1.x, 2.0 supports ultrawide

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a reminder that this game was supposed to release last March until Ubisoft delayed their entire lineup due to the Breakpoint backlash.

30 series cards should not be required to get good performance based on that alone. This looks like really bad optimization.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Guy you replied to made it sound like dlss doesnt work on ultra wide.
Yea. Oh so he was wrong? Okay good. I haven't had a chance to watch this video but I would have been very disappointed if the game didn't support it. Now that UW is common, but most recent games have supported it properly so this would have been a step back.

Just a reminder that this game was supposed to release last March until Ubisoft delayed their entire lineup due to the Breakpoint backlash.

30 series cards should not be required to get good performance based on that alone. This looks like really bad optimization.

Mmmmm could be, yea.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
If the console versions actually hold 30fps with RTX at 4k, that's actually really impressive.

Of course, who knows what settings the console versions run at. But even with DLSS 'Ultra Performance', it goes down in the high 60's even on one of the fastest gaming CPU's out there, it's CPU limited - jesus. That may explain why there's no lower-res 60fps mode.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have...litterally no clue why high wasn't check in that video especially due to some of the stuff high does versus medium and ultra.
That being said. If the settings are there they should be tested and if ultra is (future proofed) I would love devs to now have an indication of doing so. Since titles can be all over the place with what Ultra really means.

Greysif

Oct 25, 2017
mmm I was thinking about subscribing to uplay+ for a month to play this but I really doubt that my super old PC (2500k, GTX970) will even run it on low, lol.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

The 30 series won't be required to get good performance.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
It's always fun to be in this part of the GPU launch cycle.

Step 1: High-end GPU launches
Step 2: Gamers get mad when games don't all of a sudden stop including higher and higher ultra options. Apparently graphics tech needs to stop for a year for the sole purpose of stroking the ego of people who buys high-end cards.
Step 3: Praise developers who don't include higher options, claim that means "optimization".

I bet there's two settings that when you turn from ultra down to high it performs 4k60 completely fine. But because they didn't give the setting a dumb marketing name like "Ultra Nightmare" they'll catch flak for merely letting you choose.

Oct 25, 2017
" you don't understand, he is running this on a 3090, a 1.5k graphics card. The best card today, and this game isn't even next gen. it looks good don't get me wrong, but I know my 2080ti won't be able to handle this, so I'm not gonna bother playing it. "You don't have to ultra everything" I'm sorry I have to. And if I can't I won't play. That's just me. "

lmao random comment on youtube. this is also what some of you sound like

have any of you guys seen the "optimal settings for rdr2" pc videos? you dont have to ultra fucking everything. turn down a few settings here and there and you cant notice any difference and you have your 4k60 and your best looking version, still. so your clouds wont be as fluffy. big deal.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
Ultra should be rename to 'Theoretical', 'Future', or 'WARNING'. Seriously, let the devs include as much setting customization as they possibly can so the 50 series can run it sitting down. Trying to restrict this so you don't feel so bad about spending 100s on shiny new tech is pathetic.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
" you don't understand, he is running this on a 3090, a 1.5k graphics card. The best card today, and this game isn't even next gen. it looks good don't get me wrong, but I know my 2080ti won't be able to handle this, so I'm not gonna bother playing it. "You don't have to ultra everything" I'm sorry I have to. And if I can't I won't play. That's just me. "

lmao random comment on youtube. this is also what some of you sound like

have any of you guys seen the "optimal settings for rdr2" pc videos? you dont have to ultra fucking everything. turn down a few settings here and there and you cant notice any difference and you have your 4k60 and your best looking version, still. so your clouds wont be as fluffy. big deal.
At that point you have to wonder if they're actually playing the game because they're excited to play a brand new game or if it's just so they can jerk off to the fact that they're getting high frames at a high res

It feels like that half the time

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
half the fun for me is tweaking the settings to get a good image with good fps

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I would imagine that game ready drivers + the usual ticking down of a setting or two will drastically improve performance. But feel free to proceed with the pitchforks in the meantime, I suppose.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like i'll be able to hit 60 with RTX and DLSS and a few sliders turned down on my 3080. Sounds good to me.

Castia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Something wrong if a ÂŁ1500 card can't hit 60 FPS it's not even that impressive graphically.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
3080 gameplay, the drops into the 30s are expected...i'd be shocked if I didnt see the OPs benchmarks.

With DLSS turned off a whopping 9fps

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm remembering correctly, there are a couple of settings that are basically future-proof "Can it run Crysis" kind of settings that aren't really meant to be turned up, especially at launch. If they maxxed those out too, then it makes sense that performance would be shit. Performance on Watch Dogs 2 is shit even on a 3080 with those settings cranked up.

I'm not expecting any difficulties with this title on my 3080 at 1440p. I'll be happy with anything over 60, but I'll report on Friday in the PC Performance thread.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
There's some weird stuff going on in the game. That 3080 was only hitting 90-95 (and sometimes even lower) percent GPU power and yet the framerate is below 60fps. That is combined with the CPU usage hovering around 50 percent.