• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
As always in modern open world games, the Ultra preset will have some specific setting that is tanking the framerate by 20-30%, and lowering it will barely affect visuals while massively improving the framerate.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be running high on 1440p with my 3080. I can rarely tell the difference with ultra settings.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Ultra clouds in horizon dawn cuts down frame rate by 20 fps with nothing to show for it.

Ultra shouldn't be anything more than a scalabilty test and until we have a 3070 it's useless.
Well, obviously, but NVIDIA tried to bullshit market it as a 8k card so it's still funny to see this

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The video really showed off how great the game can look at max settings. The problem is, that the character animations look more jarring than ever before.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how crazy demanding next gen only games with all the bells and whistles will be.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Except it doesn't look great at all because graphics are more about talent, budget and passion than brute power.
So you're insinuating that the devs are not talented and just threw this together with a low budget and without any passion?
Weird take.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's me set for 1440P/DLSS/RT on 3080.
It doesn't seem to be pushing the CPU so my aging 6700K should be ok, outside of the 1% lows.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Not knocking my socks off. Thankfully it was free with my 3080 :P It will be a nice distraction while waiting for the November 10th/12th madness.

Looks like DLSS Balanced mode + RTX might be the way to go to keep things 60+ at 4k for me. Though I am sure there are other settings that have little to no impact on quality by knocking them down a notch from Ultra yet provide good performance gains, so maybe DLSS quality mode in that case.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Nah, they're not lazy but the game looks definitely average compared to the most beautiful games of this gen, so there's no real reason fps are so low on newer GPUs.
It's not lazy though, that's my point.

Game could have done with RT GI or something to add depth to the scenes, because it looks pretty flat. DLSS is really great to have though, especially for those on lower end 2000 series cards.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Lower the settings & it will probably run at 120fps. Ultra RTX likely means the reflections are 1:1 with the native resolution, that's demanding as fuck.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
fucking Ubisoft

Like, it doesn't matter how a game runs fully maxed if it scales well (both in terms of visuals and perf)

RDR 2 maxed out is quite insane but the game gets insane perf boost at the expense of very little visual detail by stepping down some settings.

this

on my 3090 I can't even get 1440p/30 locked with max settings on RDR2

however, turn a couple settings down with hardly noticeable changes to the visuals and I'm hitting 4K/60fps

I'd like to think I'd be able to do the same with Legion, 4k/60 with no raytracing, 1440p/60 with raytracing

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Nah, they're not lazy but the game looks definitely average compared to the most beautiful games of this gen, so there's no real reason fps are so low on newer GPUs.
You seem completely ignorant to how demanding native 4K resolution is, still.

We have not reached the point where GPU rasterization has surpassed the demands of 3840 x 2160, especially not in open world games.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm it's something like the difference between Shadows Ultra and High being negligible visually, but like 50fps technically.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine doing 10 different benchmark runs but being too stubborn to try "High" settings even once lol.

Oct 28, 2017
4K Balanced DLSS, Ultra settings and one notch down from RTX Ultra seems doable for solid 60fps on a 3080 then. Can probably knock down one Ultra setting to guarantee that if needed.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA

Doesn't hold 4k60 at max settings and ray tracing off.
Can hold 60fps with ray tracing on in "Performance" and "Ultra Performance" DLSS mode.

I am sure better results are possible with some tweaking, but this game is heavy on the GPU.

Do we know if this benchmark is accurately representative of in game performance? Wouldn't be the first time if the in game benchmark was either too light or too heavy.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
It's better that it's not destroying the CPU this time around though, average fps is 52 when running everything maxed out at 4k with DLSS Quality

59% load on a 10900k when using ultra performance mode at 4k, although that's with 0% extra details.

3080 should be ok maxed out at 1440p with DLSS quality to hit 60.

To be honest, from the looks of it this should actually scale well with future CPU's/GPU's very well, as opposed to WD2 that is a little funky
~60% load on that i9 at 4K is actually indication that it's quite CPU heavy (or utilizes multi core very well) as this is a very, very GPU bottlenecked scenario.

Fair Trial

Jan 1, 2018
Ultra settings are almost always badly optimized and run like shit even on top tier hardware for minimal visual fidelity gains if compared to high.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
That's crazy, even with a RTX 3090, that i9 and DLSS the game partially can't hit locked 60 FPS. I know there will be a game ready driver, but still, that looks terrible?! I guess console versions will run with some mixed high settings, vs. very high/ultra option on PC? Or they use dynamic resolution to hit steady 30 FPS with RT on...I would expect a 3080 to run that game on Ultra with RT Ultra and DLSS on at 60 FPS, but not even hitting that with a 3090?!

Is ultra that crazy for Ubisoft games? I mean usually games run fine on PC with DLSS on ultra settings, heck I could play Control on a laptop with RTX 2060, weaker CPU, etc. on max settings with RT max with usually 50-60 FPS.

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
AC Odyssey can drop under 60 at Ultra settings in 4K on a 3090 as well, so not too surprised. Usually helps to drop a setting or 2.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
So you're insinuating that the devs are not talented and just threw this together with a low budget and without any passion?
Weird take.

I think they're not bad, just not the most talented in the business. And Ubi Soft games definitely lack passion in my opinion. They lack soul and are a bit too formulaic too. Budget is good enough though. Just my opinion.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
~60% load on that i9 at 4K is actually indication that it's quite CPU heavy (or utilizes multi core very well) as this is a very, very GPU bottlenecked scenario.
You're right, i'm wrong on this.

I just hope it utilises multiple cores well; AC Unity actually does very well on PC and i'm not knowledgeable enough to know this but wouldn't using DX12 help this? I mean Valhalla is also DX12 on PC and it's actually running at 60fps for once on the new consoles

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
4K high with quality DLSS and medium RT should net stave 60 on a 3080 I am sure.

Mossiah

Aug 28, 2018
New York
As always in modern open world games, the Ultra preset will have some specific setting that is tanking the framerate by 20-30%, and lowering it will barely affect visuals while massively improving the framerate.
This should be something that gamers on PC hold to the chest, it has happened over and over again - so the 'ultra settings' test is only so much of an actual showing of what performance will look like with optimized settings (this doesn't excuse the likelihood that this title could've been optimized further, it is a Ubisoft title). Though what I think should be highlighted here is the hammering DLSS is doing for performance. More titles having DLSS, means smoother gameplay for all PC gamers (on relatively contemporary hardware).

Native 4k is absolutely not something any GPU is taking lightly right now. We see now why consoles are at 30fps w/ raytracing. Without AMD delivering similar performing tech to DLSS, consoles will continue to be at a bit of a disadvantage when dealing with heavy raytraced scenes - especially open world titles like this. PC looks like a great place to play right now for this title.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
You seem completely ignorant to how demanding native 4K resolution is, still.

We have not reached the point where GPU rasterization has surpassed the demands of 3840 x 2160, especially not in open world games.

I know that. I think native 4K and RT are both a big waste of GPU power these days. We'd get much better graphics overall using the power elsewhere.