• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
TL;DW
  • PS5 and XSX uses the exact same configurations. RT resolution, geometry, shadows etc
  • XSS uses lower configurations, like lower resolution on shadows, lower LOD with pop-in being more noticeable and lower anisotropic filtering, making textures blurrier.
  • And the same applies to RT LOD, more distant buildings doesn't appear on reflections
  • For some reason the XSX uses a slightly lower AF than PS5, very likely a bug since on the files it shows the same as PS5's.
  • For some reason puddles don't reflects on RT on the PS5, very likely a bug since on the files it shows the same as XSX's.
  • PS5 has a faster loading time(PS5 18:26s +- and XSX/XSS 26s +-), but Alex doesn't find it much impressive overall
  • Resolution and resolution scaling is basically identical between XSX and PS5 versions, dips more likely to happen in night sections and with high vegetation, with the lower being 1440P, but unlikely to happen.
  • XSS has a lowest of 900P but it is very stable on 1080P, but even so Alex thinks it looks worse than 1080P due RT resolutions, which worsens the overall image quality, the same effect happens on the XSX/PS5, but at a lower degree.
  • Locked 30FPS on all consoles.
  • Hidden 60FPS mode on the configuration files.
Wait, there's no 60fps mode, at all right now?

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
Ah, great to see that there are no differences between X and 5. Should make the thread much mor civil without all the annoying warriors :)

Game doesn't look stunning but we already can see that Microsoft and Playstation did a good job with their hardware. The future looks bright and both consoles are indeed closer than ever. All gamers win. Great times!

Oh, and S is doing some work. Great hardware for that price point.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
One thing that seems consistent with these comparisons is ray-tracing seems to work best on XSX.
They seem very close here with ray-tracing being better on XSX. And PS5 being slightly more stable in 120fps. VRR again stops the tearing for XSX while PS5 still has it.

Starting to think a VRR TV is going to be essential this gen.
Not the first time i have seen you try to push this narrative. Care to back it up?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Am i the one that thinks this game looks ugly?

Not ugly, but it's not a looker, either. It looks like an acceptable late gen PS4 game, that was then drenched in Ray Tracing.

Like a glazed Apple.

It truly seems like the only interesting aspect of DF comparisons throughout this gen will be how Series S performs against the other two consoles.

The super tiny differences between Series X and PS5 won't generate much attention.

Yeah, Series S is the most interesting one for sure. I wish we also had more points of comparison between Series S and say, a One X, because it's such an odd comparison. We'll probably end up with games that run at higher resolution on the One X but feature more advanced post-processing or rendering techniques on the S.

As a PS5 owner, the Series S is looking very attractive as a Gamepass machine.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
RT on a budget console is still so crazy to think about, Series S is definitely a capable console. it will be interesting to see how talented 3P and all of XGS's take advantage of the consoles strengths/ features down the road.

Kinda crazy that there isn't even really a new gpu yet that can do RT for that price.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
  • Resolution and resolution scaling is basically identical between XSX and PS5 versions, dips more likely to happen in night sections and with high vegetation, with the lower being 1440P, but unlikely to happen.
  • XSS has a lowest of 900P but it is very stable on 1080P, but even so Alex thinks it looks worse than 1080P due RT resolutions, which worsens the overall image quality, the same effect happens on the XSX/PS5, but at a lower degree.
  • Locked 30FPS on all consoles.

Well, considering how...mid range quality it looks, this is not impressive at all...

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Have there ever been 2 consoles so closely matched in performance at launch like the PS5 and Series X have been so far? I can't think of any tbh
The number of same-year console launches is low enough that I don't think there's ever been anything quite this close. GameCube and Xbox might have produced quite similar results in some games, if there'd been more games shared between them and if there had been a Digital Foundry equivalent back then.

Well, considering how...mid range quality it looks, this is not impressive at all...
Yes, the on-screen results seem to be falling short of what we might reasonably expect, to the point where I'd wonder just how far above 30FPS the game could go if it were allowed to. If Ubisoft manage to patch it up to a consistent 60FPS that'd be a lot closer to what we might expect based on what we're seeing from other games.

NinjaTrouiLLe

Nov 27, 2017
You know what? I think Series S keeps delivering. RT for 300 bucks is hard to beat.

I still don't understand all the fuss is about on RT reflections. It's majorly cutting in the performance envelop, and honestly if these reflections are blurry or sub par, I just don't see the interest.

Miles Morales reflections look good, but the light treatment Demons Souls has is a much better compromise.

I hope we will try to move away from that tendency (get it?), or at least until raw power allows 60FPS AND better effects at the same time.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I still don't understand all the fuss is about on RT reflections. It's majorly cutting in the performance envelop, and honestly if these reflections are blurry or sub par, I just don't see the interest.

Miles Morales reflections look good, but the light treatment Demons Souls has is a much better compromise.

I hope we will try to move away from that tendency (get it?), or at least until raw power allows 60FPS AND better effects at the same time.
Yeah, RT is a nice thing to have but if it looks bad, which is the case in certain type of reflections on the S, then I don't know if is worth the performance hit.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
Not the first time i have seen you try to push this narrative. Care to back it up?

WatchDogs: maybe a bug but currently has missing puddles
COD: More stable frame rate with ray tracing enabled
DMCV: Better performance in ray tracing mode

Just check all the DF threads if you need evidence, they are both close but ray-tracing seems better on XSX while 120fps seems better on PS5.

OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Just check all the DF threads if you need evidence, they are both close but ray-tracing seems better on XSX while 120fps seems better on PS5.
2 cases where is all but confirmed it is a bug and a underwhelming port?
I don't understand how this is a pattern.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017

If they are bugs and get fixed, then sure they will be more or less equal. But until they are fixed the XSX is doing better with ray-tracing.

For all we know the reason the XSX isn't doing even better could be a bug or tools or whatever. I'm only going by what the current state of the games are now.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
NEXT GEN PUDDLEGATE

unknown.png
Funny how we went from reflections in the puddle, to reflection of the puddle itself. Can't wait for what's coming next
/s

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017

Mate, if you start using bugs as a measure then I would say Xbox X is struggling with AF. COD and Watch Dogs are bugs. DMC 5 is a very unoptimized port, should we judge Xbox X's performance based of Assassins Creed?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I am really not liking this trend of games with RT reflections being 30fps. There has to be a better more cost-effective way to do it.

And I wish there was a Tech focused OT, where everything tech can be discussed. Like I would like to know, with regards to computational costs, where different RT techniques line up. eg Reflections, vs shadows vs AO...etc.

Easy... people can see patterns in everything when they are looking fr only one thing... 😄

A classic case of confirmation bias.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I wonder how things would look without that 30 fps cap, as far as performance differences. Even so, great to see this game doesn't appear to have any major issues on any platform.

I'm enjoying it and I do think it overall looks good. Better motion blur would really help with the 30 fps target. And while design wise the Npcs are very meh, detail wise they are a cut above most open world games. It's that this game makes you spend more time looking at them (and playing as them!) that makes them stand out. But overall I do like the visuals. Load times feel super last gen.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So identical outside of minor bugs. I do think I'm more likely to notice lower AF than I am puddles in reflections, but hopefully the bugs in both get patched.

Personally with the versions being identical in graphics and performance, the PS5's load times and DualSense support will be the deciding factors for me, though won't be buying it till it goes on sale later down the line.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Series S really is the star here for me. That little thing will delight quite a few people over the years!

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
I think we all know the real performance comparison will come after a few months of updates.
Yup... improved overall performance/effects with better optimized games and slight differences between two console versions with advantages going both ways that are more dependent on things like game engine quirks, the lead platform, or dev time.

Plus more comments like this betraying a lust for revenge lol.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I wonder how things would look without that 30 fps cap, as far as performance differences. Even so, great to see this game doesn't appear to have any major issues on any platform.

I'm enjoying it and I do think it overall looks good. Better motion blur would really help with the 30 fps target. And while design wise the Npcs are very meh, detail wise they are a cut above most open world games. It's that this game makes you spend more time looking at them (and playing as them!) that makes them stand out. But overall I do like the visuals. Load times feel super last gen.
DMCV SE is the only game that didn't cap the frame rate with RT, so you have results for 1080p at 120hz and 4K at 120hz. XSX had a 1-5 fps advantage on like for like scenes. I think we see similar results if other games had 120hz for every mode.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the One S and PS4 footage in this video next to Series X, PS5 and even Series S is like night and day improvement...

I'm impressed with what a big difference a little coat of next gen paint can do to a last gen game.

Almost makes Watch Dogs look like game I'd want to play...

Scarlet0Pimp

Feb 4, 2018
Series S really is the star here for me. That little thing will delight quite a few people over the years!
I agree, I have the S and the X and the S impresses me so much, playing MW and Cold War on it both are really smooth, granted i'm playing on a 40" 4k Samsung TV from 2017 for the money I paid for it and the size of the package i'm blown away. I love it. The SSD is the only gripe but I understand that and have a USD SSD plugged in for the back compat games.
I wouldn't get the S if you have a much larger 4k screen but for people with smaller TVs I cant praise it enough right now.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would actually buy the game if there was a 60fps mode. Reduce the resolution, remove RT, do whatever is necessary to up that framerate!

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Is the XSX save big fixed yet? I'm really enjoying the game and now that I beat Miles and am nearing the end of valhalla it would be nice to pop back over here

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is the XSX save big fixed yet? I'm really enjoying the game and now that I beat Miles and am nearing the end of valhalla it would be nice to pop back over here

Looks like the game got an update today... dunno what the patchnotes were though. You'd hope that was in it?

Edit: In fact, this is in it, which I'm gonna guess is the fix. The crashing at the menu was what caused it to not save.

• Fixed an issue that could cause the Main Menu to become unresponsive when quitting the Single Player mode.

Saidur_Ali

Dec 23, 2019
We know Series X does not have dedicated Ray Accelerators like PC parts and potentially PS5 going by what Cerny said. Xbox Series consoles use hybrid RT sharing resources with TMUs. Probably could be reason why texture quality is lower than PS5, even more so with Series S due to the lower clocks and less resources due to smaller GPU than Series X.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Its a bug and it is not missing puddles, it is missing showing the puddles on reflections in glass. Digital Foundry who did a deep dive showed that both consoles share identical settings and also not shocking is that Xbox Series S does not have that bug either only PS5 version.

This would makes sense if both didn't have identical settings with PS5 momentarily dropping due to a bug. During long stretches of gameplay they are both locked but during some set piece and cutscene PS5 drops but if you restart from that checkpoint and replay that same scene the drop is eliminated.

Digital Foundry:

Ray Tracing Performance Mode: In matched like-for-like content such as cutscenes, Xbox Series X enjoys a very small performance advantage - but this seems to be even lower than it was in the normal mode. And again, perhaps it's down to the dynamic nature of gameplay where like-for-like, pixel-for-pixel matched content is not possible, but there do seem to be some areas where PlayStation 5 enjoys its own tiny lead. The overall takeaway here is that both systems are essentially like-for-like.

Ray Tracing Quality Mode: This ramps resolution back up to 3840x2160, but it's using the same image reconstruction technique used in the high frame-rate mode in order to boost performance. The impact of RT is pretty large, however, and much of the experience plays out beneath 60 frames per second. On paper, Xbox has a lead - but it is vanishingly small - and in matched like-for-like content, PS5 actually manages to match Xbox performance for much of the duration, while in other scenes it's just 2-3fps behind. However, while difficult to pinpoint exactly owing to the lack of exact like-for-like gameplay, Xbox's gameplay performance advantage seems to open up here.

With that said, you said Series X has a better raytracing, it literally doesn't because they have identical raytracing in all games thus far. Framerate performance is where they trade blows. Series S however has an inferior raytracing to both as it does not have RT shadows in COD, does not have RT in DMCSE and in Watchdogs rendering the RT reflection at a much lower resolution. So again how is it inferior when they have identical RT settings in every game.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
We know Series X does not have dedicated Ray Accelerators like PC parts and potentially PS5 going by what Cerny said. Xbox Series consoles use hybrid RT sharing resources with TMUs. Probably could be reason why texture quality is lower than PS5, even more so with Series S due to the lower clocks and less resources due to smaller GPU than Series X.
^^ RDNA 2 on PC shares with the TMU as well. RA and TMU are direct link.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017

I agree with you. I couldn´t care less about RT and at times it is really hard for me notice it.

My comment was more for those who say things like "Xbox Series S is not a next gen console". Here you have it, next gen features (at low res of course) for 300 bucks.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Seems there are some patching needed to fix some oddities on the twins, but the big news here is the S. Great to see RT implemented on a low cost device. Really should be an attractive option to those on a budget or looking for a secondary console. With these results, plus the opportunity to grow into xCloud is great.

Also looking like the last gen is going to be in rear view mirror pretty quickly.