• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro

Alex Battaglia is your guide as we check out the graphical features, performance, resolution and ray tracing capabilities of Watch Dogs Legion running on all three of the next generation consoles. And between PS5 and Series X? Let's just say it's very, very close...

Written version: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...tch-dogs-legion-ps5-vs-xbox-series-x-series-s

Featuring a beautifully rendered open world recreating one of the world's most iconic cities, while leaning heavily into hardware accelerated ray tracing, Watch Dogs: Legion is one of the most technically ambitious games for the current cross generation period. The cross-platform comparison between the next generation machines isn't the most interesting head-to-head we've seen so far - PS5 and Xbox Series X are very, very close - but it's great to see ray traced reflections appear on Xbox Series S. Yes, we're getting hardware RT on a £250/$250 console.

But to address the most burning question, I can confirm right away that Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 do indeed run with practically identical visual settings - an almost complete match for the details locked away in the PC version's configuration files (which don't just include PC settings, but every single version). This is most readily evident in side-by-side ray tracing comparisons - the RT effect is identical, but crucially, the cut-off for objects not in the reflection is also the same, meaning matched fidelity in the effect itself, but also identical compromises and optimisations.

Series S also has the same settings for its ray traced reflections, but with one crucial difference. The premium consoles target a dynamic 4K rendering resolution for the majority of the presentation, but reflections run at checkerboarded 1080p instead. For Series S with its much lower 1080p target pixel-count, RT reflection resolution drops in step - reflections here are rendered internally at 720p instead, with the same reconstruction technique.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they deliver a performance update after today's AC Valhalla 60 fps for Series S.

Please, Ubi.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Am i the one that thinks this game looks ugly?

Feels like a game of two halves (in terms of visuals) to me.

It can look pretty last gen at times and the pre-gen characters obviously will never look as good as dedicated, hand built player characters. You're always gonna have weird inconsistencies.

But, in the right setting (at night, in the rain, when you're in an area that you're familiar with in real life maybe) it can look beautiful. The ray-traced reflections elevate it a lot.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Still crazy to see Raytracing on Series S when their was not a long time ago people who doubted raytracing on PS5 and XSX

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
RT on a budget console is still so crazy to think about, Series S is definitely a capable console. it will be interesting to see how talented 3P and all of XGS's take advantage of the consoles strengths/ features down the road.

Jtrizzy

Nov 13, 2017
How do the Series X and PS5 versions stack up against high end pc? I keep reading that the graphics aren't impressive. I want to check out more rt titles on my 3080, but I was never hooked on the previous games.

TL;DW
OP
OP
Uzupedro

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
TL;DW
  • PS5 and XSX uses the exact same configurations. RT resolution, geometry, shadows etc
  • XSS uses lower configurations, like lower resolution on shadows, lower LOD with pop-in being more noticeable and lower anisotropic filtering, making textures blurrier.
  • And the same applies to RT LOD, more distant buildings doesn't appear on reflections
  • For some reason the XSX uses a slightly lower AF than PS5, very likely a bug since on the files it shows the same as PS5's.
  • For some reason puddles don't reflects on RT on the PS5, very likely a bug since on the files it shows the same as XSX's.
  • PS5 has a faster loading time(PS5 18:26s +- and XSX/XSS 26s +-), but Alex doesn't find it much impressive overall
  • Resolution and resolution scaling is basically identical between XSX and PS5 versions, dips more likely to happen in night sections and with high vegetation, with the lower being 1440P, but unlikely to happen.
  • XSS has a lowest of 900P but it is very stable on 1080P, but even so Alex thinks it looks worse than 1080P due RT resolutions, which worsens the overall image quality, the same effect happens on the XSX/PS5, but at a lower degree.
  • Locked 30FPS on all consoles.
  • Hidden 60FPS mode on the configuration files.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
PS5 Secret Sauce Drive flexing hard.
I could be wrong, but I think this is the biggest difference yet between loading in third party games.

Good to see, but I hope loading will improve massively on both consoles with the next WD game. 18 (PS) vs 26 seconds (Xbox) seems to long imo. I think both machines can do better when developers have more time and get more experienced.

mangdo

Banned
Sep 18, 2020
So they're practically the same. Literally only thing is the PS5 loads faster but the difference is negligible.

This game does feel a little bit rushed anyway.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Have there ever been 2 consoles so closely matched in performance at launch like the PS5 and Series X have been so far? I can't think of any tbh

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NEXT GEN PUDDLEGATE

unknown.png

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
As per 10:30, there is a 60fps config but it doesn't work

Not surprised, runs horribly on PC so they'd probably want to optimise the game a bit more before deploying a 60fps patch on next gen

Oct 27, 2017
Difference comes down to potential bugs, and a slight loading advantage of PS5. I think ubisoft opted for as much parity as possible here. Alex wonders why the extra power of the series x's gpu isn't being used here, but I really do think it's parity above all else to deliver the game in time for next gen launch.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I didn't realize the Series S had RT. Impressive! Between this game and Assassins Creed I'm starting to rethink my stance on the Series S. Might end up buying one for my office. It really is a very capable device

Xavisavi

Jun 6, 2020
Have there ever been 2 consoles so closely matched in performance at launch like the PS5 and Series X have been so far? I can't think of any tbh
As far as I remember this is the generation with the closest performance between competitors. It is as some developers have been saying for months. These machines are almost twins. Everyone wins, which is great.

Oct 28, 2017
I think a lot of games need to change the way they approach visuals on the new consoles, mainly draw distances, LOD and animations.

Just having having 4K isn't enough for better visual clarity.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't expecting as big of jump from the current gen to next gen consoles but damn to the PS4/XBO versions look like shit judging by the brief footage.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Do they talk about the save issue on the Xbox platforms where the game won't save at all thus making the game unplayable? https://www.ign.com/articles/watch-dogs-legion-xbox-series-x-autosave-bug-patch-december

There's a patch coming today that doesn't even seem to fix it according to the patch notes, plus they added a manual save button but only on PC just to add to it.

Yep, even the most hardcore xbox fans will tell you to get this on Playstation if you have a choice. Unless you intend to play though the entire game in one sitting there is no point even booting the game up. Meanwhile, xbox players wait for a patch and the game has halved in price.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will watch later, thanks Alex. But honestly, i think this game, like Dirt 5 and AC:V will continue to receive patches with improvements. But interesting nonetheless on the state of the game right now.

Amazing to see Series S push RT out the gate though. The fun for me is to see what this little thing can do!

FearonDuve

Feb 22, 2020
Parity bug going around for this game, haha

Glad it performs well enough for alll systems, even the series s.