• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Join Alex Battaglia for the complete breakdown of Watch Dogs Legion on PC - how is it enhanced over the current-gen consoles? What does the ray tracing look like? And we have to wonder - how much of the enhanced experience will make its way to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?

Jun 1, 2018
I have to say im quite disappointed visually compared to watch dogs 2 and san francisco.

wd legion has no phone and walking around with music and barely any interiors compared to wd2. i can't explain it but san francisco looked and felt better to play in

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
So unoptimised on PC. To be expected with Ubisoft, I guess, but it's still disappointing.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say im quite disappointed visually compared to watch dogs 2 and san francisco.

wd legion has no phone and walking around with music and barely any interiors compared to wd2. i can't explain it but san francisco looked and felt better to play in

is there no MP3 player of the sorts? That's incredibly disappointing. Blasting Ty Dollar $ign in WD2 while playing the game was such an awesome experience.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like a slight error at 8:00 with Ray Tracing Off, unless I'm misunderstanding here.

JChung55

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No mention of optimization? Its been running like butt for a lot of people with high end rigs

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna repost this here.
Even your clothing/accessories have RT reflections. The umbrellas that pedestrians hold have RT reflections too.

VJnSKB1.jpg

gp3xqUS.jpg

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
RT really saves the graphics. Probably the coolest RT implementation yet, Iwas streaming the game to my friend yesterday and we kept getting surprised at the amount of surfaces with actual working RT.

Performance is dogshit though, with or without RT...

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Great video as always!

I'm really curious how it's going to stack up against next gen and what hardware will be comparable in practice.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Great video! I can't wait to see where we end up by the end of this gen with RT tech.

Omega.X

Oct 28, 2017
Already running into VRAM constraints? They were using up to 11GB @ native 4k ultra textures.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I uninstalled this pretty quickly, it runs horrendously on my rig.

Will wait for the series x version.

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of raytraced reflections (which are rough looking) l wish devs would concentrate on superior lighting. The character model faces also look like clay.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Already running into VRAM constraints? They were using up to 11GB @ native 4k ultra textures.
I do not think those are realistic vram constraints there (it also had RT on). Those are the allocated VRAM amounts - so the actual amount the game uses and does not just Cache is going to be lower. High Textures look the exact same as Ultra and were using about 7,5 GB at 1440p on an 8GB GPU with RT on.

4K is also not a setting many people will be playing with in general in this game, no matter their GPU. As it is incredibly hard to get even 30 fps at 4K in this game on big GPUs.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a RTX card, so bare with me if it's a stupid question but are there any settings (ini or otherwise) you can tweak for ray tracing to improve the quality further than default settings? Like say you wanted to just absolutely tank you performance so that the RT reflections were rendered at a higher level or more coverage.

Just for funsies of course.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Ray tracing is neat, but I feel disappointed with how dead these worlds look. Like the AI and NPC animations/activities just look so dated. To me, that's a real wow factor that I suppose we wont see for another gen or two

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
amazing video yet again by Alex. Definitely interesting seeing how Watch Dogs performs next gen based on these results in watchdogs esp since its using DX12 vs DX12 ultimate

Jan 21, 2019
I don't have a RTX card, so bare with me if it's a stupid question but are there any settings (ini or otherwise) you can tweak for ray tracing to improve the quality further than default settings? Like say you wanted to just absolutely tank you performance so that the RT reflections were rendered at a higher level or more coverage.

I think this should be an option for future-proofing the game instead of locking it to current constraints.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

I think I heard it scales with resolution? Maybe some implementations do, not sure.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Ray tracing is neat, but I feel disappointed with how dead these worlds look. Like the AI and NPC animations/activities just look so dated. To me, that's a real wow factor that I suppose we wont see for another gen or two

Legion is a current-gen game with a next-gen coat of paint, I think we'll see much more dynamic worlds in true next-gen games.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I love how visually dense games are beginning to look
Yeah! I think this is one of the biggest upgrades next gen is going to have over current thanks to the SSDs and better CPUs. Levels and open world usually limited the density of things because theyd have to load them as you moved near, and thats no longer an issue.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna repost this here.
Even your clothing/accessories have RT reflections. The umbrellas that pedestrians hold have RT reflections too.

VJnSKB1.jpg

gp3xqUS.jpg

That is an automatic thing and not selective. When RT is applied, it's applied to anything like PBR. Fortnite has same thing withn skins, try Silver Surfer.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That is an automatic thing and not selective. When RT is applied, it's applied to anything like PBR. Fortnite has same thing withn skins, try Silver Surfer.
Actually that's not true.
Take a look at the jacket the player is wearing in Alex's video, it does not have RT despite having more than enough specularity to be above the cut off. So it's not as clear cut as it being an automatic thing that gets applied across the board and can indeed be selective.

The player character and NPCs are dynamic objects, so these can have their own set of rules. And when it comes to dynamic objects usually only the bigger objects such as cars will have it and smaller objects like clothing accessories/umbrellas won't make the cut. Which is why it's impressive when dynamic objects that small make the cut and are able to reflect enviroent and other dynamic objects.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Looks much, much better then the console versions even without ray tracing. Was disappointed how it looked even on the top end current console hardware in the face off posted yesterday.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Legion is a current-gen game with a next-gen coat of paint, I think we'll see much more dynamic worlds in true next-gen games.
Yeah, last gen launched with Assassin's Creed 4, which was just a 360/PS3 game with a few extra effects, higher resolution, etc.

Then the next year I think they came out with Unity, which definitely had bugs and performance issues, but it looked pretty incredible and had very "next-gen" crowd density and world detail and stuff like that.

Aug 30, 2020
Really great video, and fantastic observations.

RT is extremely customizable. Currently games select to apply RT or not depending on roughness (a certain cutoff threshold). Besides that, devs can customize a materials to have more bounces (usually reserved for mirrored reflections - as seen in Quake 2 RTX mirrors and that Atomic Heart tech demo from a while back). Devs can set a specific material to have reflections while others completely don't (like the Star Wars RT tech demo), and that's not to mention rays per pixel, what material properties you consider to randomize bounce direction (diffusion) and so on.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Good video, but not a single scene involving driving was curious, as from all reviews it's by far the most taxing, especially for CPU.

Would have also been nice to see how the DLSS modes stacked up to each other, as well as how it compares to the temporal upsampling option for non-GTX cards (and from early reports, what the next-gen consoles might be using to reach 4k). If DLSS performance is being used on a 3090 to reach 60fps at 4k, it's reasonable I think to question how close it comes to native 4k. Perhaps a second video focused on the reconstruction quality?

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Shit shiny shader dropped on everything without any care for how it looks it definitely what I was expecting from ray tracing in this generation, especially since it has to run on consoles.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Shit shiny shader dropped on everything without any care for how it looks it definitely what I was expecting from ray tracing in this generation, especially since it has to run on consoles.

It's...not, though. The materials that reflect which aren't metal/wet are diffuse as one would expect. You may think this isn't worth it for the performance impact in a game sure, but really just pay attention when you walk down a street, especially at night when it's wet.

I'm looking out at the parking lot of my building on an overcast day, and all the car windows are perfectly reflecting the environment right now, and these aren't buff showroom quality in a pristine environment. Reflections in the real world are constant and everywhere, and they're incredibly hard to do well without RT.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It's...not, though. The materials that reflect which aren't metal/wet are diffuse as one would expect. You may think this isn't worth it for the performance impact in a game sure, but really just pay attention when you walk down a street, especially at night when it's wet.

I'm looking out at the parking lot of my building on an overcast day, and all the car windows are perfectly reflecting the environment right now, and these aren't buff showroom quality in a pristine environment. Reflections in the real world are constant and everywhere, and they're incredibly hard to do well without RT.
And it's not even about paying attention, things like these ground the objects in the environment a lot better. So you just subconsciously note that they look just right. As Alex showed in his example where he had the character look at the bench, wall and garbage bin and they looked like they belonged there rather than be assets created separately and put in there by an artist. Reflection is basically everywhere as you say and in reality especially on a rainy day at night everything is reflective everywhere in a city. Outside of lighting it's the single biggest thing that makes a game look game-y. And funny enough physically speaking reflection is...part of lighting at the end of the day and we know lighting is what grounds everything and even GI is basically a diffuse form of light reflection.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017

That might be true, but Legion has a very good and convincing reflections without RT and doing reflections with RT seems like a waste of opportunity. I want path tracing or at least shadows - just doing reflections is a waste of time with current GI technology.

Oct 25, 2017

They put a lot of effort in wd2 world and it definitely went all unnoticed. That's still one of my favorite open worlds in the game. As you said actual interiors, lots of bustling life and great colors. Riding around listening to ty dolla$ was amazing

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017

I agree, but I think it's worth mentioning that it's San Fran vs London so generally the color palette has to be pretty different just for that alone. WD2's San Fran was more vibrant and sunny in general, whereas London in Legion is more overcast weather / grey-ish + all the futuristic signs, drones, etc. So Legion looks kind of flat at times because of that, but the RT really gives it a big boost. I still prefer WD2's look though, I think the open world in that game was excellent and underappreciated.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Optimized settings definitely did the trick. Dropped Environment, Geometry, and RT to High (Shadows were already on High), now I'm getting in the 70s most of the time. Still dips into the 50s now and then, but it doesn't spend all of its time there any more. It's still CPU bound, though, that's crazy.

I did just have my first crash, though. /sadface

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think it looked pretty great honestly, from geometry, detail, RT, materials.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Using the optimised settings Alex provided (with Ultra RT and DLSS at Quality) @ 2560x1080
optimisedywj6p.png

In-game results in a lot less stutter and 50-70fps