• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lockjaw333

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but while the ray traced reflections in the game are quite impressive, I don't think they are really worth it performance wise. The SSR in the game is actually pretty damn good, its convincing enough when driving and walking around the city. The only big loss is reflections in building glass surfaces, but how much time do you really spend looking at those?

Also can we take a moment to appreciate what DLSS is going lately? A lot of recent releases would have pretty terrible 4k performance without DLSS. And I actually think DLSS looks better than native 4K with temporal AA most of the time. Its remarkable stuff.

R1CHO

Oct 28, 2017
After watching DF's xbone performance video, I decide to give the game another chance... Trying to forget about 60fps for a while, and play it maxed at 30 FPS.

It crashed like 3 times in an hour. It's just broken.

It's true that it can look great, although imo RT is not that impressive, ssrs does the trick, specially while driving, tbh at 30 FPS it's not enough motion resolution to check puddles...

In any case, if they do a couple of patches more, it could be decent, but tbh as a game is not that appealing to me at the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly enough i feel the opposite, in which the performance gain from turning off RT is disappointing enough that I'm fine with playing 40-60ish fps with VRR with RT on lol.

Nov 19, 2019
Maybe an unpopular opinion, but while the ray traced reflections in the game are quite impressive, I don't think they are really worth it performance wise. The SSR in the game is actually pretty damn good, its convincing enough when driving and walking around the city. The only big loss is reflections in building glass surfaces, but how much time do you really spend looking at those?

Also can we take a moment to appreciate what DLSS is going lately? A lot of recent releases would have pretty terrible 4k performance without DLSS. And I actually think DLSS looks better than native 4K with temporal AA most of the time. Its remarkable stuff.

Totally in agreement with all of this, exactly how I feel.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've decided to throw this game at the end of my backlog now in order to allow time for Ubisoft to actually patch it and maybe then the DLC will come out. It's not fun having it crash every 30 minutes
Ubisoft says this about all of their crappy games and hasn't actually improved performance on a single one of them this entire generation. Something to keep in mind.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Ubisoft says this about all of their crappy games and hasn't actually improved performance on a single one of them this entire generation. Something to keep in mind.
In this instance I'm not bothered about the wavering performance, I'd just like the crashes to be fixed because it's wayyy too frequent for them to just leave it in this state.

If they choose to do nothing about it, I'll simply buy their games 6 months down the line instead at 70% off. It's clear that both Watch dogs and AC have come in very hot because of covid.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020

yea, and then you look at another game from the same publisher (AC) that doesn't use DLSS because it has an AMD marketing deal. I hope it becomes standard soon because the tech is amazing.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Ok, so Watchdogs has been like one of the worst looking games I've ever played which has made me really sad. But I was messing around with settings and happened to try 4k resolution and it suddenly FIXED EVERY ISSUE WITH THE VISUALS. This is on a 1440p monitor.

Like 1440p even without DLSS looked low res and pixelated all of the time.

Then 4k with DLSS on...looks great and clean and really good image quality and sharpness! Sure the framerate tanked to like 5-10fps without DLSS, but with DLSS I'm probably getting around 20-40fps gsync and I'll take it since now the game actually looks good.

I've never seen this on any other PC game. Even AC Valhalla is fine and clean IQ at 1440p. I think maybe Legion is 1440p is bugged or something? IDK.

Here are some comparison pics on my rig:

1440p maxed photo DLSS off photo mode shots:

GfhAF1M.jpg

9Jnpbgc.jpg

Eg54BMp.jpg

vchHwJu.jpg

wdsSzxR.jpg

Now same settings but running at 4k:

HvAKwpU.jpg

1OuMjgg.jpg

7D6ElyQ.jpg

DyRYFLu.jpg

O5Khkii.jpg

3nb4u74.jpg

8HeSWks.jpg

TiNNZfO.jpg

pQb8xgf.jpg

tJfoOzs.jpg

XCVLHB2.jpg

t1AtHi5.jpg

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so Watchdogs has been like one of the worst looking games I've ever played which has made me really sad. But I was messing around with settings and happened to try 4k resolution and it suddenly FIXED EVERY ISSUE WITH THE VISUALS. This is on a 1440p monitor.

Like 1440p even without DLSS looked low res and pixelated all of the time.

Then 4k with DLSS on...looks great and clean and really good image quality and sharpness! Sure the framerate tanked to like 5-10fps without DLSS, but with DLSS I'm probably getting around 20-40fps gsync and I'll take it since now the game actually looks good.

I've never seen this on any other PC game. Even AC Valhalla is fine and clean IQ at 1440p. I think maybe Legion is 1440p is bugged or something? IDK.

Here are some comparison pics on my rig:

1440p maxed photo DLSS off photo mode shots:

GfhAF1M.jpg

9Jnpbgc.jpg

Eg54BMp.jpg

vchHwJu.jpg

wdsSzxR.jpg

Now same settings but running at 4k:

HvAKwpU.jpg

1OuMjgg.jpg

7D6ElyQ.jpg

DyRYFLu.jpg

O5Khkii.jpg

3nb4u74.jpg

8HeSWks.jpg

TiNNZfO.jpg

pQb8xgf.jpg

tJfoOzs.jpg

XCVLHB2.jpg

t1AtHi5.jpg
Wait, you do 4k on your 1440p monitor? That's what I do as well, on certain games though since 4k can be tough to run on a 1070 unless it's an older game. Nice screenshots too.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Wait, you do 4k on your 1440p monitor? That's what I do as well, on certain games though since 4k can be tough to run on a 1070 unless it's an older game. Nice screenshots too.

Yeah, here and there if I have the overhead I'll run games at 4k on my 1440p monitor so it downsamples. Usually games look nice enough on native 1440p that I don't bother, and I didn't even think to try Watchdogs Legion at 4k since it was already struggling in performance at 1440p and I didn't have the extra fps to spare. But whatever the heck was going on wrong with Legion was fixed with the extra resolution and downsampling from it, so it's worth it to me even if I can barely keep 30fps with DLSS on quality.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Talking about screenshots, how are you guys taking them? I don't see an option to disable the UI in the photo mode, and if you take it through that, it's compressed all to hell when you follow their suggestion to take a screenshot of it in the gallery. At this point, I'm tempted to just try to play with the UI off.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
What are the save game load times for anyone with a 970 evo plus nvme? For me the time going from the main menu to being in game is ~30 seconds, which feels longer than it should be.

Oct 25, 2017
What are the save game load times for anyone with a 970 evo plus nvme? For me the time going from the main menu to being in game is ~30 seconds, which feels longer than it should be.

About similar for me with same ssd. I watched giantbomb boot up the game on series x and it's similar so yeah... This isn't Spiderman.

Has anyone ever gotten a solid 60 in the open world at 4k?i feel like regardless the settings in dx12 framerate always drops to the 40s and high 30s when driving around. Especially at night. Doesn't matter if rt on.

8700k 3080.

Oct 25, 2017
poking around with resolution... and yeah it makes no difference lol. framerate always under 60 even at 1080p.

Is the 8700k really the limit here? Do I need a i9?

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Weirdly enough i feel the opposite, in which the performance gain from turning off RT is disappointing enough that I'm fine with playing 40-60ish fps with VRR with RT on lol.
Same, the game won't stay a solid 60, even hits 40 while driving at 1440p. So I've RT on Ultra and using DSR for 4k. I've an 8600k so I'm limited by what that can do unfortunately.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
You guys can actually play? Got 1 month of Ubisoft+ thank god and I can't get pass the first 5 minutes of the intro mission without crashing to desktop..

3950x
2080ti
Win 10 latest build
32 Gb / 3600mhz

At least ACValhalla works fine so all of my other games..

Anyone can't play this game at all??

Thanks

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
This engine is busted.

Running around I get 60+ at all times.

As soon as I get into a vehicle it drops to the low 40s before I even move.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
You guys can actually play? Got 1 month of Ubisoft+ thank god and I can't get pass the first 5 minutes of the intro mission without crashing to desktop..

3950x
2080ti
Win 10 latest build
32 Gb / 3600mhz

At least ACValhalla works fine so all of my other games..

Anyone can't play this game at all??

Thanks

Well here its pretty stable, but the performance is last stage cancer, especially when driving, i had to pause playing because it ruins the fun, absolutely unacceptable

Last edited:

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

This page has definitely closed. To find your favorite forums and threads, go to https://discussions.ubisoft.com.

This page has definitely closed. To find your favorite forums and threads, go to https://discussions.ubisoft.com.
  • Added CPU optimization that increases framerate on high end PCs in DirectX 12 mode.
Well, better late than never lol
Given Ubisoft history I wouldn't get your hopes up without actual benchmarks showing improvements.

Oct 27, 2017

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
does anyone know how to check the games version on Ubisoft Connect? I read about the patch and thought it was already out so I wanted to check and have no idea how to see the version in the new Ubisoft Connect.

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Performance is definitely better for me I think. Driving stills drops framerate but it doesn't plummet into the high 30s and low 40s like it did before. Honestly turning off the FPS counter and letting G-Sync do its thing has made it very playable :)

GangWarily

Oct 25, 2017
Supposedly the fucked up saves is still not fixed tho...I guess I will avoid the the borough mission that crashes the game and manual save after every main mission finished.

Time to go play "Digging Up the Past" for the 12th time xD

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
I can't compare to the old patch since I never played the game until today. I'm definitely CPU limited on a Ryzen 3600, CPU fps is variable in the open world from 55-75 or so. The sub-60 is driving or flying. I've cranked up resolution since 3080 is waiting around otherwise. VRR makes it a pretty pleasant experience.

Ray tracing definitely hits CPU performance by 5-10 fps for me, but I've found with VRR it has been worth it.

rBose

Oct 28, 2017
Did they by any chance improve the overall fps when driving around with the latest patch ?

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, my performance feels about the same, but I didn't think my 3900x was CPU bound in the first place, since it acutally was changing performance based on the settings

Oct 27, 2017
My avg framerate in the benchmark is up prolly 7-10 FPS.

Ultra preset with environment/geometry/shadows/rt on high with balanced DLSS @ 1440p. 8700 and 3080.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Not much of a change here. Getting around 70 walking around, and it still stays in the 60s when driving, at least the little bit I did last night just to test performance. It wasn't at night or in the rain, though. Overall, not much of a change from what it was before the patch.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
What is the point of putting a benchmark in a game that taxes it less than just driving around the city? I get a rock solid 60 in the bench with RT on at 4K DLSS and Ultra preset but in game it is still jittery when driving. I think it is more a streaming issue than a performance one though. I recall the first game having similar problems on PC.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Also does anyone else have to disable and reenable HDR every time they boot, to get it working?

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Just as I thought. I had to re-buy WD2 later on because it was a stutter fest, even on a 980ti with i7. Upgraded PC with 1080ti/8700k and it was only then I could get smooth 60fps but at 1080p.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
And now it has lost my save game. Amazing. Glad it was a free copy. Utter dumpster fire of a release.

Johnny Cicala

Dec 8, 2017
I got two crashes today, after playing couple of weeks with no problems. I think an update was out today.
Did this happen to anyone else?