• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
I got 80fps average in the benchmark with ultra settings @ 1080p Ultrawide on a 3080 with DLSS on Balanced... Geez this game is apparently hard to run.

Edit: Also to all the people who were saying not to get a 3080 for lower resolution screens: I rest my case, RT is going to cause lower framerates for a long time and I'm glad I went with a top end card.

That 80fps will equate to 30fps once you get to a busy street in the game.

Guffers

Nov 1, 2017
I turned down everything sans textures to Medium and now seem to get around 55-60 fps when driving around in the world. That's a fairly big improvement over the 40-45 I was getting on High. I'm curious to see the Hardware Unboxed & Digital Foundry break downs, and to see how this compares to the console versions.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017

HU optimization guide is up.

yoXPKkG.png

t93r7xz.png

Perf comparisons between the preset settings and the HU recommended settings.

7owTaDx.png

Last edited:

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
Remember when DirectX 12 was the next big thing for PC gaming...well Ubi went and ballsed that up.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Remember when DirectX 12 was the next big thing for PC gaming...well Ubi went and ballsed that up.

That varies based on the system. For me, the results are exact opposite. DX12 holds around 50 at it's lowest point, while DX11 dips as low as 30s. On Ryzen 7 3700X and RX 5700 XT.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yeah, so I'm running the benchmark right now, at 1080p with everything on ultra except shadows, medium RT and quality DLSS I get on average 48 fps.

My setup: 3080, Ryzen 7 1700, 32 RAM

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, so I'm running the benchmark right now, at 1080p with everything on ultra except shadows, medium RT and quality DLSS I get on average 48 fps.

My setup: 3080, Ryzen 7 1700, 32 RAM
On top of that, the benchmark right now isn't a very good representation of in-game open world performance. Expect that 48fps to become about 34fps.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Oh well, I sure regret paying for a 3080 if I'm not gonna be able to play the freaking game with RT on at 1080p, is this just poorly optimized?
Card is pretty much the best on the market save for the 6800xt, Watch Dogs is just weird.

Your next upgrade should be Zen 3 when you feel like you need higher framerates; don't base any upgrade decisions or regrets off of this game though haha

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, I sure regret paying for a 3080 if I'm not gonna be able to play the freaking game with RT on at 1080p, is this just poorly optimized?
Yes and no. We know there is room for improvement GPU-wise as we are currently awaiting a patch that is supposed to drop today that Ubisoft say will address various GPU performance issues (including RTX cards performance). However, currently the game is mostly CPU heavy and we wont know until the patch is out whether any improvements will be made on that side of the fence... It's not much use making our GPU's handle the game better when our CPU's are limiting our frame-rates considerably.

The game admittedly does have a lot going on visually, the draw distance is quite impressive (as it was in WD2) and character models aside I think its a really good looking game (especially at night time with all the lighting effects). I think the folks saying the game looks like shit are being a little hyperbolic! But all in all I would expect better performance out of a 3080/10900k system than what we are currently seeing. Hopefully todays patch will address that.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yes and no. We know there is room for improvement GPU-wise as we are currently awaiting a patch that is supposed to drop today that Ubisoft say will address various GPU performance issues (including RTX cards performance). However, currently the game is mostly CPU heavy and we wont know until the patch is out whether any improvements will be made on that side of the fence... It's not much use making our GPU's handle the game better when our CPU's are limiting our frame-rates considerably.

The game admittedly does have a lot going on visually, the draw distance is quite impressive (as it was in WD2) and character models aside I think its a really good looking game (especially at night time with all the lighting effects). I think the folks saying the game looks like shit are being a little hyperbolic! But all in all I would expect better performance out of a 3080/10900k system than what we are currently seeing. Hopefully todays patch will address that.

Oh, yeah, from what I've seen on the previews the game looks really good, but it's just disappointing to have spent the money and not get really that great performance out of it (Though yeah, I know it's a game by game case). Feels like if I stay without RT on the game will run fine. Guess I'll wait till the patch drops and see what happens, though I'm not getting my hopes up, might just cap it to 30 and start the game up

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, yeah, from what I've seen on the previews the game looks really good, but it's just disappointing to have spent the money and not get really that great performance out of it (Though yeah, I know it's a game by game case). Feels like if I stay without RT on the game will run fine. Guess I'll wait till the patch drops and see what happens, though I'm not getting my hopes up, might just cap it to 30 and start the game up
Yeah I agree, especially when this game is bundled with the card the expectation is great RT visuals alongside performance and that is absolutely what should be delivered. The ray-tracing does look great, so fingers crossed the patch will deliver improved performance when using it. I only have a 2080S so I will probably just stick with regular reflections (which look good too!)

I highly recommend checking out the optimised settings video below, or atleast giving their provided settings a go to get the best visual/performance ratio. It may give you the room you need to turn on ray-tracing with decent performance. Shadows in particular appears to be a very expensive setting that you can afford to turn down to high or even medium for a 25% to 30% fps gain!

HU optimization guide is up.

yoXPKkG.png

t93r7xz.png

Perf comparisons between the preset settings and the HU recommended settings.

7owTaDx.png

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What's the problem with DLSS?

Clouds during day look weird with it activated but overall, there is less shimmering. You can also adjust the sharpness level (on the next settings page). It looks nice imo.

edit:

1440p, DLSS Quality, + 15 sharpening
1440p, TAA

DLSS looks a lot better and adds a lot of extra details imo.
Unfortunately, it can't help with the stuttering and overall unenjoyable performance while driving. My CPU is too much of a roadblock with the game for that.

Last edited:

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't seem to actually do anything. DLSS is supposed to be for gaining performance, but performance is more or less the same whether it's on or off. Completely defeats the purpose. On my system, the game looks a little sharper without it, so I leave it off. If I were gaining 20-30fps by having it on, that'd be a different story, but I'm not.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018

Clouds during day look weird with it activated but overall, there is less shimmering. You can also adjust the sharpness level (on the next settings page). It looks nice imo.

edit:

1440p, DLSS Quality, + 15 sharpening
1440p, TAA

DLSS looks a lot better and adds a lot of extra details imo.
Unfortunately, it can't help with the stuttering and overall unenjoyable performance while driving. My CPU is too much of a roadblock with the game for that.
Do you think that 15 is the sweetspot for sharpening then? I guess it's just personal preference

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think that 15 is the sweetspot for sharpening then? I guess it's just personal preference

Certainly.
Some people will even call +15% too much.

It doesn't seem to actually do anything. DLSS is supposed to be for gaining performance, but performance is more or less the same whether it's on or off. Completely defeats the purpose. On my system, the game looks a little sharper without it, so I leave it off. If I were gaining 20-30fps by having it on, that'd be a different story, but I'm not.

I can only redirect you to my edited post.
Maybe try out the sharpening option. You can find it on the next settings page.
Overall DLSS improves my performance, though my CPU is too much of a bottleneck in many scenarios.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Are you CPU limited? If changing resolution is not affecting performance, it usually means a CPU bottleneck or non-GPU bottleneck. I had this happen before in a strange CPU limited scenario that I highlight in my video coming out today. DX12... is not helpful exactly on every setup and graphics config :(

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It adds a lot of performance but if you're CPU limited in native already then it won't help obviously.

WDL have a very "light" TAA which on one hand doesn't blur the image and has less apparent artifacting but on the other hand doesn't do a lot of AA either. Hence why DLSS here tend to be "softer" but also provides better AA - and more performance.

I've also compared the included TAA upscaling option and it does a good enough job until around 60% which can sometimes look better than DLSS Quality (results in similar performance gains). But below that DLSS Balanced/P/UP is clearly better overall than TAAU <50%.

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
Certainly.
Some people will even call +15% too much.

I can only redirect you to my edited post.
Maybe try out the sharpening option. You can find it on the next settings page.
Overall DLSS improves my performance, though my CPU is too much of a bottleneck in many scenarios.
Just tried it out and I agree, it definitely improves the image.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for my card but this game looks a lot worse, aesthetically, compared to WD2 to me.
Coupled that with the performance issues, oh boy.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Are you CPU limited? If changing resolution is not affecting performance, it usually means a CPU bottleneck or non-GPU bottleneck. I had this happen before in a strange CPU limited scenario that I highlight in my video coming out today. DX12... is not helpful exactly on every setup and graphics config :(
Possibly, but the behavior was a bit weird, my CPU usage seemed like it was higher when DLSS was active, but the framerates were around the same (easily within margin of error, I was getting bigger fluctuations just turning a corner). I'd expect that at higher framerates, but not where it was sitting, in the 45-55 range.

It's a i7-9700K running at 4.6GHz, not exactly a slouch.

Honestly, though, I'm just jumping on the bandwagon that the performance doesn't seem like where it should be for such a powerful card, especially for the "showoff" game that was packed in with it. The game's actually pretty smooth with G-sync and it's perfectly playable.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for my card but this game looks a lot worse, aesthetically, compared to WD2 to me.

I thought so at first too, but then I reinstalled Watch Dogs 2 and I changed my opinion.
WD 2 is a lot more vibrant but draw distance (which was already great in 2) improved, general level of detail and geometry complexity improved, shadows in legion improved a lot (and WD 2 had better Nvidia HFTS shadows). Add real time reflections to the mix and it's not even a competition imo.

Now performance: Yeah. That's a big let down here.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Post-patch:

Performance seems similar. DLSS still "does nothing". i7-6700k 4.5GHz RTX2060

Using HU's optimized settings with RT medium at 1080p. 38fps at night.

xinelo

Aug 14, 2020
Post-patch:

Performance seems similar. DLSS still "does nothing". i7-6700k 4.5GHz RTX2060

Using HU's optimized settings with RT medium at 1080p. 38fps at night.

I can confirm that, patch applied and still the same crap, GPU and CPU almost not used.
FPS around 35-50, no matter what graphic preset I choose. It's totally broken for me.

PS. 2080 Ti with latest nvidia driver "optimized" for WD Legions...

Last edited:

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
DId one benchmark run and got worse numbers. 0.1% lows down by 3 fps, and 1% and average fps down by 1 fps. Could be a difference in benchmark scene, as the AI behavior is random, but it's certainly no improvement.

Jersa

Oct 27, 2017
Boston, MA (USA)
3440x1440 everything maxed out + HDR, no DLSS (latest patch and Nvidia drivers):
unknown.png

3440 x 1440 everything maxed out + HDR, DLSS Quality (latest patch and Nvidia drivers):
unknown.png

Last edited: