• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
Game runs fine for me. Smooth. 3700x, 2070 super, running at 4k. Zero issues so far, 2 hours in.

Have it on optimised settings though, so generally high settings and no ray tracing.

Nov 25, 2018
If any of you are looking for a decent bump in FPS and stability - set Shadows to Low, Texture Filtering to Medium / Low; this seems to decrease the rampant CPU mess up for me, smooth 75 fps locked now in open world

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason, something about their engines or whatever, Ubisoft games actually do scale CPU usage with resolution, even when all other settings are identical. Which doesn't make a lick of sense.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
If anyone thinks 8GB on 3070 isn't a potential bottleneck in the coming years, apparently at 1440P (not even 4k) with maxed setting (no RT, no DLSS), WD Legion is exceeding 8GB VRAM

www.pcinvasion.com

Watch Dogs: Legion technical review - A new benchmark

Watch Dogs: Legion has fantasic implementations of DLSS and ray tracing plus a few more pleasant surprises, as our technical review outlines.

Next gen consoles haven't even been released yet.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the game, that's handshaking issues. I sometimes have to restart my PC multiple times to work on the C9 from the 3080.

If you haven't already, turn off Quick Start+ from the C9 settings menu and it seems to help. I can just power cycle the TV to get it working more often than not now.
Well I figured out what it was. It's putting the game on full screen rather than window mode

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I am also worried about Valhalla. I really didn't care about Watchdogs but I subscribed to UPlay+ for Valhalla. Might as well check out Watchdogs. Yeah, the performance isn't great.

Valhalla is the game I'm looking forward to the most this fall, and it's also the first AC I'll be playing on PC. I really hope it's not a letdown.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I am also worried about Valhalla. I really didn't care about Watchdogs but I subscribed to UPlay+ for Valhalla. Might as well check out Watchdogs. Yeah, the performance isn't great.

Valhalla is the game I'm looking forward to the most this fall, and it's also the first AC I'll be playing on PC. I really hope it's not a letdown.

If Valhalla is anything like Odyssey then it will run just fine.

CollectedDust

Oct 27, 2017
Indiana
I asked this in the OT, but maybe this is a better group:

I got a free copy of this game from a CPU purchase; do I have to download / launch from Uplay or is there some way to get the Epic store to recognize the key so I can use the Epic Launcher instead of the Uplay launcher? I have so many launchers, do I really need to keep another!?

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Don't expect the patch tomorrow to massively improve things by the way

If anyone thinks 8GB on 3070 isn't a potential bottleneck in the coming years, apparently at 1440P (not even 4k) with maxed setting (no RT, no DLSS), WD Legion is exceeding 8GB VRAM

www.pcinvasion.com

Watch Dogs: Legion has fantasic implementations of DLSS and ray tracing plus a few more pleasant surprises, as our technical review outlines.

Don't understand why people are paying over the odds for a 3070 when the 6800 is the way to go for that end of the market. At least in the UK anyway, the cheapest 3070 I could see was £520; the same price as the 6800.

Feb 11, 2019

www.pcinvasion.com

lmao even the games are straight up saying 8GB isn't enough. How will the eightgigaboos ever recover?

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

www.pcinvasion.com

Is that usage or requested? I shall light the Darktalon signal to see if we can uncover the true VRAM number.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Don't expect the patch tomorrow to massively improve things by the way

Don't understand why people are paying over the odds for a 3070 when the 6800 is the way to go for that end of the market. At least in the UK anyway, the cheapest 3070 I could see was £520; the same price as the 6800.

The 6800 is gonna be more expensive than the 3070 my man

jony

Oct 25, 2017
I asked this in the OT, but maybe this is a better group:

I got a free copy of this game from a CPU purchase; do I have to download / launch from Uplay or is there some way to get the Epic store to recognize the key so I can use the Epic Launcher instead of the Uplay launcher? I have so many launchers, do I really need to keep another!?

Yeah you need the Uplay launcher. Even if you bought it on steam or epic, you would still need the launcher.

Oddhouse

Oct 31, 2017
8850 i7 mobile version.
2070 max Q
Laptop.

settings very high. no RTX. 1080p

fps 25-45

feel like I'm not having as many issues as other people here ?

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
The 6800 is gonna be more expensive than the 3070 my man
Fine, let's assume that the 6800 is equally marked up as much as the 3070 is then. It's still the better buy, imagine spending £520 on a GPU with a pitiful amount of VRAM.

I own a 3080 so I can't talk about VRAM, only upgraded because of how much the 2080 was still selling for.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
i7 9700K @ 4,9 GHz
16GB DDR4
2080Ti

3440 x 1440 with V. High settings. Messes around with RT and DLSS settings and can confirm that DLSS doesn't seem to do anything in this case. Maybe gain 2-3 frames, but that is it. FPS is ~40 with dips into high 20s.

Edit: Game uses 7 GB of VRAM with that res, V. High settings and High RT'd reflections.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017

www.pcinvasion.com

Allocated or actual? Or just using that little slider in the menu that I'm sure is 100% accurate to memory usage for every scene in the game.

I'll test it tonight myself, but it'll be a few hours before I can get to it.

NoctisLC

Jun 5, 2018
r5 3600, 16gb DDR4 3200
2080ti

Running at 1440p very high w Performance DLSS and High RTX.

Getting a pretty solid 80ish FPS indoors, 50-60 out in open world areas. Pretty happy w it.

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
Why does the game not use my GPU enough? Its at 60% in the open world too
Because you have VSYNC on, isn't it obvious? Your GPU can do no more work than it's allowed to by the number of undisplayed buffers. Turn on FastSync, your GPU will increase in utilization as you begin to render more frames than your display can output.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Because you have VSYNC on, isn't it obvious? Your GPU can do no more work than it's allowed to by the number of undisplayed buffers. Turn on FastSync, your GPU will increase in utilization as you begin to render more frames than your display can output.
I don't have vsync on, so not very obvious, ey?

DefunctRez

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone finding the sound quality and mixing to be very veery bad?

Like it lacks impact and separation. Guns sound weak. So does driving.

It says a lot there aren't any audio settings for output options.

Just some of the worst sound in a AAA game since I can't remember when.
5.1 surround sound doesn't even work for me. It's running in 5.1 but I only get left and right channels so I can't hear any speaking. After quitting the game 5.1 is now non-working in Windows and I need to set my bitrate to another setting and back to get all my channels back. Only affects this game. I suspect it has something to do with handshaking like the hdr black screen bug. Can't play until patched...

Kaldaien

Developer of Special K
Verified
Aug 8, 2020
I don't have vsync on, so not very obvious, ey?
You have a limit active, it doesn't necessarily have to be V-Sync, you could have used RTSS and turned on Scanline Sync and caused this just as easily.

RTSS cannot measure render latency unfortunately, it would go a long way toward telling you what is causing the limit:

gDtvrpp.jpg
EjelHqg.jpg

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Allocated or actual? Or just using that little slider in the menu that I'm sure is 100% accurate to memory usage for every scene in the game.

I'll test it tonight myself, but it'll be a few hours before I can get to it.
Can't be actual because it was more than the amount of memory available on the GPU. Maybe it's requested VRAM.

Sep 21, 2019
5.1 surround sound doesn't even work for me. It's running in 5.1 but I only get left and right channels so I can't hear any speaking. After quitting the game 5.1 is now non-working in Windows and I need to set my bitrate to another setting and back to get all my channels back. Only affects this game. I suspect it has something to do with handshaking like the hdr black screen bug. Can't play until patched...

Yikes. Damn.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
You have a limit active, it doesn't necessarily have to be V-Sync, you could have used RTSS and turned on Scanline Sync and caused this just as easily.

RTSS cannot measure render latency unfortunately, it would go a long way toward telling you what is causing the limit:

gDtvrpp.jpg
EjelHqg.jpg
I'll take a closer look in a sec, I will say changing to DX11 helped but I'm missing out on RTX

2080 3700x

Oct 25, 2017
4K ultra, rtx ultra, balanced dlss and getting 50-70 in the open world. Driving can go down to the 40s. Not great, but playable with g-sync. Hoping the patch tomorrow gives a nice boost.

9900ks
32gb@3000mhz

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone finding the sound quality and mixing to be very veery bad?

Like it lacks impact and separation. Guns sound weak. So does driving.

It says a lot there aren't any audio settings for output options.

Just some of the worst sound in a AAA game since I can't remember when.
Pretty sure the reason Cars sound weak is cause they are all suppose to be electric cars, or atleast most of them are suppose to be.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so my settings are as follows:

Ultra preset + ultra rtx + balanced dlss, no other changes to the preset.

My average fps by resolution(built in benchmark):

1440p: 70fps
1080p: 70fps

720p: ...70fps

I have an i7 8700, 32gb RAM, and a RTX 3080.

Lowering texture and shadow quality to medium gets me another 7fps, but I can't seem to squeeze much more out of it.

I don't really know what to say.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

Lowering texture and shadow quality to medium gets me another 7fps, but I can't seem to squeeze much more out of it.

Seems like the typical Ubisoft goodness

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

CPU bound?

Tora

Jun 17, 2018
The benchmark is POINTLESS, you can tell us what numbers you're getting but it's meaningless, try and play the game and report back because the benchmark isn't representative of the actually experience

Hahahaha

Constantly stuck at 70% GPU utilisation, I hope this patch really "optimises" these gpu's to actually fucking work

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Did they confirm the patch addresses performance?
This was posted on pc gamer and I believe other outlets. Someone had posted a link a few pages back I believe too. These are a few of the problems I am having too. When you hop in a car it drops to 44 fps sometimes. I'm on a 3700x x 3080 running at 1440p.

Global performance improvements on PS4 for smoother gameplay/driving
Made several improvements to PC performance
Optimized performance to improve framerates for RTX GPUs
Fixed an issue that caused framerate drops to occur when characters walk through checkpoints
Improved the framerate performance when driving
Fixed a freeze when switching input controllers on PC
Fixed sporadic crashes on PS4
Fixed sporadic crashes on Xbox One/S
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when launched on a console set to TURKISH, INDONESIAN, GREEK, ROMANIAN, HUNGARIAN, VIETNAMESE or THAI languages
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash on Xbox One X when selecting a certain option in the Into the Void mission
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when browsing through the Premium Shop tabs on Xbox One

Jul 26, 2018
Yea...... Just tested all my benchmarks. For once, i feel like it's best to cap the game at 60FPS for all settings (4K, 1440p ultrawide, 1080p).

Has anybody seen any stuttering in their benchmarks? 1440p ultrawide benchmarks was a hot mess for me. I have a 3950x and RTX 3080.

Nov 2, 2017

www.pcinvasion.com

I think GPU power is going to be an issue long before the VRAM becomes an issue. Something this game showcases very well and like you said this is a cross gen game. Even the 3070 can barely do 1440p at a decent framerate here, even without RT. If you want to max out games at 1440p 60fps+ then I give the 3070 a lifespan of about 2-3 years.

In any case from what I've seen VRAM doesn't seem to be an issue with an 8GB card at 1440p even if the slider tells you it's using more.

Oct 27, 2017
This was posted on pc gamer and I believe other outlets. Someone had posted a link a few pages back I believe too. These are a few of the problems I am having too. When you hop in a car it drops to 44 fps sometimes. I'm on a 3700x x 3080 running at 1440p.

Global performance improvements on PS4 for smoother gameplay/driving
Made several improvements to PC performance
Optimized performance to improve framerates for RTX GPUs
Fixed an issue that caused framerate drops to occur when characters walk through checkpoints
Improved the framerate performance when driving
Fixed a freeze when switching input controllers on PC
Fixed sporadic crashes on PS4
Fixed sporadic crashes on Xbox One/S
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when launched on a console set to TURKISH, INDONESIAN, GREEK, ROMANIAN, HUNGARIAN, VIETNAMESE or THAI languages
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash on Xbox One X when selecting a certain option in the Into the Void mission
Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when browsing through the Premium Shop tabs on Xbox One
Ah excellent. Thanks for that

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Welp I haven't been into PC gaming to long and with a beefy rig this hasn't been a problem yet. Watch dogs 3 is the first game to completely crash and give me the blue screen 😂 The game for some reason looks kind of blurry as well.

Nov 25, 2018
Will say I get better performance on DX12 than I do DX11 if I disable Core 0 - when I was monitoring the game, that was the one core that kept hitting up to the 98%'s, after I killed it, performance was more consistent in DX12; I get stutters in DX11 so that's a no go for me