• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017

Aiden Pearce and his iconic cap return July 6th

I'm pretty excited for this. I don't like the original Watch Dogs game that much, but it's cool to see Aiden again. I love Wrench so it's great to see him as a playable character, excluding that one part of Watch Dogs 2. I'm curious what weapons they will be able to use. They both had a ton of guns in their respective games, I expect them to have more limited options in Legion.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing this thanks to the new 60fps update and there are some truly chilling things in the story.
The fact that someone can use their mom as a dehumanised AI was truly mental to see.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting over with the game, this time with permadeath on, as I should've done initially anyway.

Question: Should I give hard + permadeath a go?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason to play this on PS5 over the Series X? Do we have Dualsense support? Debating which of the two platforms to get this one on.

Goonie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm starting over with the game, this time with permadeath on, as I should've done initially anyway.

I haven't done this myself, but I feel like the game might not be reliable enough to do hard and permadeath, especially for a first playthrough (not sure how far you got). Some encounters can be pretty overwhelming, and sometimes they throw you for a loop with every enemy knowing exactly where you are when you start an objective. I get really attached to my characters, so I don't think I could do permadeath.
Is there a reason to play this on PS5 over the Series X? Do we have Dualsense support? Debating which of the two platforms to get this one on.
I wanna say there is dualsense support. There are speaker effects and the triggers have that crunchy, vibrating feel when you shoot a gun. Nothing game-changing from my experience!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017

The only time permadeath even happens is using hard difficulty. I played about 1/4 on normal with permadeath and none of my people died because it was too forgiving.

That said, there are certain missions where the design is BS and you will almost certainly lose an agent.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The only time permadeath even happens is using hard difficulty. I played about 1/4 on normal with permadeath and none of my people died because it was too forgiving.

That said, there are certain missions where the design is BS and you will almost certainly lose an agent.

Crud. Cheap deaths suck.

Oh well, rolling with regular + permadeath. We'll see where I end up this time.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Crud. Cheap deaths suck.

Oh well, rolling with regular + permadeath. We'll see where I end up this time.

What permadeath does is actually incentive prep. Without it you won't give a shit about uniforms/disguises, or perks like taking less damage or faster hacks and only care about what weapons they have, because the gadgets they all share and the games stealth/takedown system make you feel powerful. On Permadeath at least, using a great agent has weight, and those previously mentioned skills might be what gets you out of it when overwhelmed. Playing on normal is enough imo because the alternative is potential frustration, especially on missions where your trapped in a firefight unexpectedly. normal and Perma is enough spice for a first playthrough.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What permadeath does is actually incentive prep. Without it you won't give a shit about uniforms/disguises, or perks like taking less damage or faster hacks and only care about what weapons they have, because the gadgets they all share and the games stealth/takedown system make you feel powerful. On Permadeath at least, using a great agent has weight, and those previously mentioned skills might be what gets you out of it when overwhelmed. Playing on normal is enough imo because the alternative is potential frustration, especially on missions where your trapped in a firefight unexpectedly. normal and Perma is enough spice for a first playthrough.

I totally agree with all of this

Except

There is no indication that a mission is going to turn into a massive firefight that you can only hope to survive by having a comvat-efficient character. This is where the whole thing breaks down. If you take your best hacker character into it, they are pretty much dead when you hit an arbitrary point in the mission where the designer decided to spawn 20 armored enemies with machine guns all attacking you at once. You get zero warning this may occur while planning, so you have no idea if you should bring a combat character in.

The only real viable way to "plan" for a mission is to always take the most combat efficient character with you in case the mission turns out to be forced combat.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
I totally agree with all of this

Except

There is no indication that a mission is going to turn into a massive firefight that you can only hope to survive by having a comvat-efficient character. This is where the whole thing breaks down. If you take your best hacker character into it, they are pretty much dead when you hit an arbitrary point in the mission where the designer decided to spawn 20 armored enemies with machine guns all attacking you at once. You get zero warning this may occur while planning, so you have no idea if you should bring a combat character in.

The only real viable way to "plan" for a mission is to always take the most combat efficient character with you in case the mission turns out to be forced combat.
This is very true. You get the very next objective marker only, with bare minimum context and no sense of whats to come. You might need to infiltrate, you might need to hold a position against enemy attacks - it can be literally anything from one mission sub-objective to the next.

This is even an issue I've run into across games. The last major fort mission I played in AC: Valhalla looked like it was going to be intense, so I scouted it out with my raven beforehand, and planned routes that would quickly bring me from the gates to the upper walls by running up cranes/jumps/parkour. Now I had a plan to blitz the place, but once the mission was going and we breached the first gate, the cranes were now positioned in different spots, and paths to the upper walls were removed or blocked off. That was the last time I experimented with prep in that game.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it's an issue with level design being open to all types of characters all the time. Instead of designing each place for all avenues of play, maybe areas designed around particular types of play and communicating which type it is would've been the way to go.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like it's an issue with level design being open to all types of characters all the time. Instead of designing each place for all avenues of play, maybe areas designed around particular types of play and communicating which type it is would've been the way to go.

Exactly.

I wouldn't mind it at all if there was some indication that I would most likely need a particular agent type before certain missions.

As it stands now, they are basically saying the only way to be truly prepared is to only take a combat ready character into ANY mission because they will always be able to complete any mission through brute force, and some missions will only be winnable with them. Which completely destroys like 7/8ths of the interesting aspects of the game which involves using non-combat oriented agents.

Last edited:

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat the game. Ended up really enjoying my time with it, surprised the reception to it was so negative.

Classicrock78

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
San Antonio
Ugh cant dl bloodlines even tho I have the season pass on xbox I have to pay for it tried in game ,and the store and ubisoft isnt Even responding to the whole bunch of people also reporting this.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Despite having a somewhat negative opinion on Aiden in the first Watch Dogs, I like him a lot in Bloodlines. He has a bit more personality now, while still feeling like the same character.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Aside from the fact that Aiden looks like a walmart brand of his former self, this DLC looks promising to me.

I bounced off the main game after 10 hours but if I enjoy bloodlines, I might go in and finish it with just Aiden/Wrench.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
Just bought the season pass because it is on sale and I am very interested in Aiden's story content... I got the email confirmation of the purchase, Uplay itself says it added the season pass to my account but when I launch the game: nothing. They redirect me to the store page of the season pass. The season pass doesn't even show in the DLC section of the library...

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
They added achievements for Bloodline in today's update. Hopefully this update also fixes issues people were having when starting the DLC.

OP
OP
Tiny Hawk

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished Bloodline. Clocked in around 5 hours without going into the side-missions. Wasn't much of a fan of Aiden Pearce or WD1, but I thoroughly enjoyed having him around in this one. Man's got some personality now. And Wrench is still pretty fun to be around honestly. Good time!

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Just finished Bloodline. Clocked in around 5 hours without going into the side-missions. Wasn't much of a fan of Aiden Pearce or WD1, but I thoroughly enjoyed having him around in this one. Man's got some personality now. And Wrench is still pretty fun to be around honestly. Good time!
I recommend at least doing the Jordi missions with Wrench. The Dialog between Wrench and Jordi is amazing and the last mission is a great nod to Watch Dogs 2.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
How is it that the DLC ends up being so much better than the base game? So many experimental mission types compared to the repetitive nature of many of the missions in the main game. The throwback to WD1 was an special highlight, incredibly well done.

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodline is $15? Is the season pass full of fluff or anything is supposed to be in it?
Season Pass allows you to play through the main campaign with Aiden and Wrench, if you just buy the DLC, you can only play as them in Bloodlines. The DLC is well worth it though if you enjoyed the main game.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodline is $15? Is the season pass full of fluff or anything is supposed to be in it?

On top of Aiden and wrench in campaign and online, it also unlocks the mind control character and the upcoming assassin's Creed woman for both modes and a few sidequests for campaign.

Bloodlines at $15 bucks feels right having finished it. The rest of the season pass depends heavily on whether you give a shit about online and unlocking more cosmetics and stuff using these unique characters or not

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I'm playing Bloodline now. The grafting on of WD1 mechanics to this game is weird and just reminds me of how tight WD1 played and how not tight this one plays. I have many issues with WD1 but that game felt really good to play.

As the post mentions above though, this being a separate thing allowed them to get creative with the mission design which has been good. Nowhere near done with it yet so I'm looking forward to the rest of the ride.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Even in the main game I'm enjoying Aiden, this interaction in particular made me laugh.

It's amazing how much Legion and Bloodline changed my opinion of Aiden, I think he's great now.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
How is it that the DLC ends up being so much better than the base game? So many experimental mission types compared to the repetitive nature of many of the missions in the main game. The throwback to WD1 was an special highlight, incredibly well done.
I still haven't beaten the main game because the missions are so boring. This DLC, as you said, has really refreshing mission design. Wrench's half of it in particular. And now I want a Watch Dogs 4 with him and Marcus back. Jackson could be cool too.

Aiden was improved from his WD1 self but he's still just hacker gruff man who makes me raise an eyebrow every time he opens his mouth and he has a damn Batman voice.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing the main campaign as it bored me to tears. I beat the previous WD games, but something just was not doing it this time around.
I do not care about the Season Pass, as online does not matter at all to me.
But it sounds like I should pick up these DLC as it is better than the actual game?
EDIT - Never-mind, see the comment above, can play it without beating the original campaign. Nice.

Honestly seeing the Gold Edition is on sale for $40, I may get it. Right now I have the disk version, so for $40 getting the digital version with everything, and I also see there is a WD1 Complete Edition, may be worth it. Decisions though. Really into just this DLC. May stick with the pain in the ass of the disk and just spend the $15

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Apologies if this was answered previously,

Is it correct that Bloodline comes with not only the expansion, but the ability to play as Aiden or Wrench in the main campaign as well?

I don't think I need the Season Pass for the latter option, right?

bibs

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies if this was answered previously,

Is it correct that Bloodline comes with not only the expansion, but the ability to play as Aiden or Wrench in the main campaign as well?

I don't think I need the Season Pass for the latter option, right?
No you need the Season Pass for the latter option. Only buying Bloodlines will limit you to playing as Aiden and Wrench specifically within the Bloodlines campaign.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
No you need the Season Pass for the latter option. Only buying Bloodlines will limit you to playing as Aiden and Wrench specifically within the Bloodlines campaign.
Damn! I knew I should have got the SP while it was on sale

Thanks for the heads up! I'll wait for it to go on sale again