• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
People, you have to save after each mission by quitting to the main menu. I know this is not the greatest workaround but otherwise you'll be so frustrated with this game.
This doesn't work if you got disconnected during the mission - nor if you don't do missions. Even if you 'force' a save by fast traveling, the game often forgets package delivery progress and all sorts of other collectibles. It's straight up broken no matter what, the only hope is you get lucky with the servers.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
I've not played much of the game yet, having read all your comments though I'm probably going to hold off for a patch or something.

Either way I've not been too impressed and as Londoner, I find they made some odd changes with what parts they kept/adjusted in the city.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
This doesn't work if you got disconnected during the mission - nor if you don't do missions. Even if you 'force' a save by fast traveling, the game often forgets package delivery progress and all sorts of other collectibles. It's straight up broken no matter what, the only hope is you get lucky with the servers.

I think the only reason to save as often as I do is that it decreases the likelihood of losing server connection. Which seems to happen all the time and really is the core issue.

Seemingly Ubisoft's ambition with cloud saves through the new Ubisoft Connect is to make carrying game progress between platforms much easier and smoother. That is a cool thing, but a nightmare if it straight up just doesn't work. They absolutely have to use manual local save files in addition to cloud saves to make sure these type of errors do not corrupt your game.

Oct 30, 2017
The engine is a straight up disaster. Why am I getting the same frame rate and frame drops at 1440p and 1080p at 60fps?

Why cant I play this at a LOCKED 60fps @1080p on a 1080ti/8700k/16GB DDR4 ram/1 TB SSD PC?

I cant even get a locked 60 at 720p ffs.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
The save bug funnily helped me one time and then made me angry the next time with permadeath on, lol.

The last few missions of the Albion storyline close to the end are a real spike in difficulty. No more drone sneaking, you're in the combat zone yourself while waiting for hacking and downloading to complete. Enemies swarming you from all sides.

Well, in one mission I lost a number of operatives and then the save bug happened. Got them all back.

A few missions later, I finally managed a pretty tough boss fight only for the game not to save afterwards. Now I despise it, obviously :D

Zach19593

Dec 10, 2019
Ok I quit. God how awful this game is. What a mess! I played 6-7 hours and felt soon sick of it. Before this sh*t I was playing all day long with my PS5 with Astro and Bugsnax, and then WD made me feel like I was doing a job and not playing, bored and tired. The plot is stupid, same stereotypes as many other games with nothing new, copied from Hostel, Orphan Black, the previous chapters and who knows what else. The dialogues are unbearable, and the Italian dub is one of the worst ones I heard in a videogames in recent years.
And it doesn't get any better from a gameplay perspective: this is a reduced version of WD 2. Everything WD 2 did, Legion does worse or doesn't. Moreover, the UI got me constantly confused, the city is "dead", boring, nothing ever happens aside from an Albion man arresting a civilian, the driving system is horrible, the car slicks all the time and the chases are unplayable. Oh, and speaking of that, do you know that, if you fail the chase part of a mission and get arrested/killed, you got the reward for completing the mission when you switch to another character because he/she is not chased by anyone? So, if you prefer to avoid the chases, you just have to stand firm and get defeated.
And I don't want to talk about the poor graphics, lots of bugs and civilians pop-up one-meter in front of me that I experienced in these few, but very awful, hours I played.

Skip this game and save yourself money/time/health. WD 1 and 2 were good games, with the latter being the peak in the series imo, this simply isn't good at all.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
Was going to check this thread to see if it's worth buying since it's $29 on Amazon right now and yikes! Looks like I'll hold off and not buy it yet lol. Seems that my worries with the game trailers are still present in the game.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
That raytracing on PS5 surely looks interesting, but I feel like the overall image quality is quite average. I expected more.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tempted to pick this up but it'll almost certainly go down in price further within the coming month.. decisions decisions.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
is there any blow back for killing enemies? Seems like there should be some blow back for that

Raboon

Oct 30, 2017
That comes down entirely on how much you enjoy the recruit anyone mechanic and playing as them. Because gameplay wise it's absolutely a small evolution of 2.

Sounds like a wait for a deep sale if only because you somehow loved 1 and hated 2.
Thanks, I think I'll wait for a sale.

I know I'm pretty lonely on Era thinking WD1 is better than 2 but man do I wish they'd make a real sequel to the first game.. wd2 should've been named something else imo..

Oct 27, 2017
i legit love this game, i just can't play it (xbox here).

so should i try out WD2? i read that it's more shooter-esque, and that's my least favorite part of WD3 (i'm not a huge shooter gamer), so i'm hesitant. maybe that person was wrong, idk.

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
Platinumed it a couple days ago. I think I like WD2 better. The recruitment system is fun the first few times but most of the NPCs are useless in missions. A hacker, construction worker and spy/hitman are really all you need. The sandbox-y feel of the game is amazing though, switching between gadgets and finding ways to do things remotely is really fun.

The biggest issue I had with the game was the very limited number of voice actors and repeated dialogue. I had multiple operatives with the same voice actors, and I was sick of that line Bagley says ("If you were gonna die so quickly you wouldn't be part of DedSec" or something) by the time I finished the game.

As someone obsessed with London, it was kinda sad to see such a well-realized city having almost no identity and role in the game. Yes it has lots of CCTVs but that's about it. This game could've been placed anywhere and still worked. The city is still so detailed and accurate though which makes me want to just walk around it and take pictures like a tourist.

This game is a wasted potential sadly and I'm saying that as a fan of the franchise.

OP
OP
Tiny Hawk

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Good news and bad news from Ubisoft.

Good news - Title Update 2.20 is dropping this week and should fix the save issues as well as general stability improvements.
TU 2.20 Patch Notes
Global
  • Fixed an issue that could cause longer load times when exiting to the main menu.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause save games to get corrupted.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause lost progress during Borough Uprising missions when loading back into the game
Xbox One
  • Optimized game on Xbox One and Xbox One S to reduce instability during certain missions and the open world.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when scrolling through the Team tab.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Main Menu to become unresponsive when quitting the Single Player mode.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur while auto driving on the Tower bridge during the "Inside Albion" mission.
  • Further incremental optimizations made to improve game stability which improve performance and reduce crashes.
Xbox Series X/S
  • Fixed an issue that caused the game to crash when switching between users with non-English and English text versions
PC
  • Added a manual save game button to the Pause Menu.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a Borough to not be liberated despite the player having completed all necessary activities.
  • Fixed an issue that allowed players to load a save game over save file slot when playing with Permadeath enabled, resulting in an infinite loading screen.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause save games to get corrupted after a crash or freeze.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when one or all Operatives die.
  • Added CPU optimization that increases framerate on high end PCs in DirectX 12 mode.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the game's framerate to drop significantly when looking at water or reflective surfaces.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause Operatives to go missing after the game crashed.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the game to become pixelated with DLSS enabled and playing on the lowest available resolution.
  • Fixed an issue that caused Reflection, Ambient Occlusion and Subsurface Scattering to not save their value after changing the graphic quality from Custom to Low/Ultra and back.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash under certain rendering conditions.
  • Fixed an issue where some players would see a "Dunia Demo" error message and be unable to launch the game.
  • Added further stability improvements and fixes to the game to prevent crashes.
PlayStation 4
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash if a character model was not loaded correctly.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when quitting to the Main Menu.
  • Added further stability improvements and fixes to the game to prevent crashes.
Stadia
  • Fixed an issue that allowed players to load a save game over save file slot when playing with Permadeath enabled, resulting in an infinite loading screen.
Ubisoft+
  • Fixed missing English localization for Russian users.
PlayStation 5
(Deployed on Thursday, November 19th, 2020)
  • Fixed an issue where the game would crash on game launch when the graphic settings (e.g. brightness) were changed.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash when quitting to the Main Menu.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause a cloud save download to fail on first try.
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering the EPC area in "Lost in the Process" mission.
  • Fixed and issue that could cause longer save times.
More improvement and quality of life features are coming next month, including stability improvements and further graphic optimization.

Bad news - Legion Online is delayed to early 2021.
As part of our commitment to fixing the game's issues, we've decided to delay the Online mode of Watch Dogs: Legion to early 2021. This will allow us to focus on fixing issues with single player, and it will give us more time to test the Online experience to help ensure a smooth launch of the mode.

SOURCE

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about the ridiculous flickering lighting during the day time in the PS5 version. Ugh.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but the patch notes say they've addressed the save corruption issues but do not specifically mention the issue where the game fails to save the game in the first place.

Also, they added a manual save option to the PC version - why not add that to all versions?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm kinda reading that as fixing a separate issue with corrupt saves and not the issue that it's not saving at all. Hope I'm wrong though.

Oct 10, 2020
Hum, so this is why I can now find all the editions half price... good to know. Funny that I did not see any of these huge issues in reviews. One of these days I will give up on professional reviews and go only with real player experiences

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Just so everyone is aware, this patch will not fix the saving issue on Xbox Series X. Just add a manual save button like in PC -- why is that not an option? I'm glad I got my money back. I liked the game but I won't pay for it until it's ready to play.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
A big reason why I wanted to get this game is to see how the ray tracing is, and what kind performance my PC would have, alongside, of course, playing and having fun with the game. But from the sounds of things here, and from other opinions, I'm glad that I held off and bought Valhalla instead. Legion seems like too much of a mess right now to sink any real time into for me, but hopefully things will get patched up enough in the future for this to be a possibility.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I love this game, but at this stage I'd be happy for a refund and then never play the game. By the time this gets fixed I'll have cyberpunk and the new warzone update.

Also, the game is on sale and can be purchased for less then what I paid for it, which is a kick in the teeth as I've not played the game while I wait for the fix, so buying at launch was pointless.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah pretty ridiculous that I had to shelve this game until a patch comes, and now the game is already half the price of what I paid and I still can't play it.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
Got this at the half price mark but bought physical and wish I could get an easy refund. Ubisoft had already delayed this game so much. I'm so interested to hear what went wrong.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
I've never seen such incompetence from a triple a developer. It's a single player game that doesn't save. incredible.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
Ok I quit. God how awful this game is. What a mess! I played 6-7 hours and felt soon sick of it. Before this sh*t I was playing all day long with my PS5 with Astro and Bugsnax, and then WD made me feel like I was doing a job and not playing, bored and tired. The plot is stupid, same stereotypes as many other games with nothing new, copied from Hostel, Orphan Black, the previous chapters and who knows what else. The dialogues are unbearable, and the Italian dub is one of the worst ones I heard in a videogames in recent years.

Skip this game and save yourself money/time/health. WD 1 and 2 were good games, with the latter being the peak in the series imo, this simply isn't good at all.

gotta disagree. i'm playing watch dogs 2 now, 2/3 of the way in, & i had a lot more fun with watch dogs: legion than with this...

also, what's with the hostel & orphan black references? no idea what similarities you're seeing. &, seriously - 'stereotypes'? how is watch dogs 2's lovable cast of misfits not the ultimate embodiment of the concept of 'stereotypes'?...

Zach19593

Dec 10, 2019
gotta disagree. i'm playing watch dogs 2 now, 2/3 of the way in, & i had a lot more fun with watch dogs: legion than with this...

also, what's with the hostel & orphan black references? no idea what similarities you're seeing. &, seriously - 'stereotypes'? how is watch dogs 2's lovable cast of misfits not the ultimate embodiment of the concept of 'stereotypes'?...

Feel free to disagree ofc!
First of all: I didn't mean to say that WD 2 had an original and peculiar cast of characters, but they were decently characterized, even being sort of stereotypes. I had fun with that game. The city itself felt way more as a living-being, I've seen lots of different situations while playing, sometimes I've stand still watching couples fighting, drunk people, car accidents. In Legion I encountered many times always and only an Albion officer arresting a person. That's all.

As for the references, the first story line in which we investigate over Mary Kelley's business gave me an Hostel vibe, whether the one with the 404 gave me an Orphan Black one. Overall, the plot never gained my interest, neither did the characters, and from a gameplay perspective there are very few things to do in London comparing to San Francisco, and the chases are terrible due to lack of options for things to hack and a far worse driving system than 2.

Besides, as an history student, I'm really sick of hearing the "fascist" adjective used in so many improper ways: oh, look, a bad corporation with a bad private police force who wants to take over the city? They sure have to be fascists! Everyone knows corporations and private police forces were everywhere in Italy in the '30s! But that's just me, I imagine for the majority of people this thing doesn't matter.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
2 weeks since I dropped the game because of it not saving and losing progress.

It's wild to see people are still having that issue.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
How does such a catastrophic save bug even make it past Q&A?

Remember, this game had like a 9 month delay for quality improvements.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
How widespread is the lost progress bug on the XSX/XSS? Is there anyone that hasn't experienced it?

I got the impression everyone has it but then when the watchdogs account tweeted "While this patch won't have the fix for this issue, the team has been able to reproduce it" made me second guess. Anybody playing on Xbox without any issues?

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
They kinda half-assed the character swapping in the game. There should be dramatic differences in gameplay and how you have to handle a situation. I played through half of the main campaign with just a strong hacking character. There's really no reason to swap characters unless it's a requirement for the game or you want to check it out.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
People, you have to save after each mission by quitting to the main menu. I know this is not the greatest workaround but otherwise you'll be so frustrated with this game.
The fact that I have to alt-tab out of my game and disable six cores before even pressing the "Quit to Main Menu" button should be an indictment of this game. There's no way this shit should've shipped as is.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Opinions on car handling? Is it me or is it off? This has always been an issue with the watch dogs games but this version feels the worse in the series, and I hate how close the camera is.

Have they removed or reduced the motion blur when driving? I remember it being really nice in the older games.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
20 hours in and I just hit a bug that lost me the entire game and I'm going to have to toss it and never play the rest of the game since I'm not replaying this.

I got an Albion agent and his disguise outfit was broken. At first I thought I was doing something wrong but then I got a clan Kelly captain and the disguise worked fine in clan kelly areas. My albion agent would just put out his mask the second he walked into an albion alert area. It didn't give the disguise text pop up.

Ok, fine. Maybe this guy is just broken and I needed to get another Albion guy.

Problem is I did the Tower of London mission and even though my disguise didn't work, I brute stealthed it using traps and shroud and I got to the door and got inside.

Little did I know the inside would put me in a tiny area and take all my gear away and not let me hack anything and auto-save inside. I'm in the Tower of London and it is impossible. Absolutely impossible to get through because my disguise isn't working and the guards go to red alert in an instant if I get anywhere near them and there's no route that gets me far enough away to avoid that. It instant triggers and fails the mission. Tried for an hour straight and watched videos of paths people took on youtube to see if there's a safer path but there isn't.

And quiting the game and loading it now starts me inside the tower and I can't see any way out.

I googled and found a lot of people had the same bug where an Albion contractor disguise doesn't work. Maybe they'll patch it at some point and it will apply to my character and I will be able to progress some day? But that just ended the game now for me. Pretty annoyed. Put a lot of time into this.