• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blockhead1700

Nov 3, 2017
Does anybody have recommended HDR settings? The default looks really bad on PS5 on an OLED screen. Everything looks washed out, blacks are gray etc.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy or does this game feel incredibly undercooked? It feels like a huge disappointment to me after Watch Dogs 2.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Am I crazy or does this game feel incredibly undercooked? It feels like a huge disappointment to me after Watch Dogs 2.

Something absolutely got left on cutting room floor.

The first reveal screen shots showed levels and upgrade paths for recruits that don't exist anymore.

There are next to no open world activities to do in their great looking London except deliver package and play darts. It reminds me of the first game get delayed by 6 months to add shit to do in the open world after an execs kid said the world was boring.

Mechanic and level design wise, it plays exactly like 2 but now with gadgets.

It feels too safe and bland design wise aside from I'm sure the immense amount of work that went into making the citizen recruits varied enough to work everywhere.

It really does feel like a weird middle child of WD 1 and 2.

I am really really hoping a focused narrative and single protagonist in the DLC will elevate the experience to at least match WD2.

I seriously wonder what state this game would have shipped in had it hit the original AC slot last Nov. Would it have been a disaster or something closer to the original vision.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Ah sucks to see others are also losing save process.

I lost about 5 hours which resulted in losing some really cool recruits.

I decided to just drop the game. I wasn't sure I was completely feeling it. But having to redo certain missions just confirmed the gameplay loop wasn't for me.

There was a brilliant premise here which looked really great during the reveal. It's a shame they couldn't deliver, for me.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Been going back and forth on deciding whether to grab this or not. I think I'm gonna wait for a patch or two. Maybe even a sale at this point.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Ok. Out of the 3 WD games where would this one rank for those who have played WD:L?

2 > L > 1

I loved 2, it's got some really great missions and a decent cast. Falls down in some areas and there's a bit too much shooty gunplay.

L is ambitious, has some great missions but it's kind of half finished and could have done with some more polish.

I did not enjoy WATCH_DOGS at all.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
I finished it two days ago and the ending was just so bad.
Outside of 2 missions the missions itself arent really inspired and I kinda hate how the premise is good, but:

Somehow in the end it just feels like they wrote it that Albion just manipulated police and the government with lies, so they are also partly victims

Also some of the areas on the map feel like they were planned to have something storyrelated planned, but at least in the main game there isnt anything there besides I guess some random recruit mission. Maybe its planned for the DLC?

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
I've put a decent amount of time into this now and I have to say it's a pretty giant step down from Watch Dogs 2 in some key areas which i loved:

1. The world systems are WAY WAY worse. Like seriously, I don't know if they straight up just ran out of CPU headroom on last gen consoles while trying to implement the recruit generation, but I can't emphasize how big of a step back this is. Watch Dogs 2 is up there as one of the best examples of truly dynamic, systemic, self correcting world loops- from various faction and gang interactions, to police and EMT response, to various types of NPCs encountering each other and the situation spiraling from there. Legion is back to Watch Dogs 1 territory here, where you can walk around forever and basically nothing interesting happens. I'll put it this way: Watch Dogs 2 remains my favorite "walk around and observe people" game even AFTER Red Dead Redemption 2 has come and gone. There was an endless amount of nonsense that could be instigated by the player or spawn from the aether and snowball into absolute hilarity. I never got tired of just watching San Francisco in motion. From car accidents, to NPCs calling the police on other NPCs, to overly aggressive security accidentally starting a street war, dogs getting involved, NPCs defending the player, etc etc. Watch Dogs 2 fulfilled its promise of being a game where you can watch people act and prod things from the shadow of your tech, but with Legion they've missed the mark completely.

2. Relating to world systems, there's been a big reduction in scripted encounters as well. What made Watch Dogs 2 work even beyond the AI randomness was that many of those situations could potentially come from a scripted NPC scene. These have mostly been relegated to Albion arrest/abuse scenarios now, but there are way fewer instances of people just having fun, or spouses arguing, or people getting into fights, or rounding a corner and finding a breakdancing crew in a back alley. Most people are just walking around aimlessly or posed in groups, or sat on benches and steps. In combination with the complete downgrade in systems I mentioned before, this leads to a world which is more visually dense due to the clutter and layout of dystopian London, but much less active feeling.

3. Without some kind of leveling system to improve recruits, you're left with a number of characters on your roster that have WAY less infiltration, hacking, and combat options than Marcus. I appreciate the hunt for top tier operatives, but there's a whole progression path missing here to train operatives so that the game starts opening up more without having to rely on specific archetypes. The old skill tree upgrades are strewn across a thousand character combinations and it feels less satisfying.

I won't even bother touching on the narrative and character writing, those were obviously going to take a hit with what the game is trying to do, but the IDEA of Watch Dogs Legion could've still worked without a good narrative, much in the way Xcom style games do- but you have to have dynamism for intrigue and progression for player attachment. They should've gone headfirst into improving the systemic interaction of Watch Dogs 2 THEN layered the recruitment stuff on top of that. I'd like to see them get a real next gen crack at this concept but with the reception to this game who knows where Watch Dogs goes at this point.

Last edited:

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I've put a decent amount of time into this now and I have to say it's a pretty giant step down from Watch Dogs 2 in some key areas which i loved:

1. The world systems are WAY WAY worse. Like seriously, I don't know if they straight up just ran out of CPU headroom on last gen consoles while trying to implement the recruit generation, but I can't emphasize how big of a step back this is. Watch Dogs 2 is up there as one of the best examples of truly dynamic, systemic, self correcting world loops- from various faction and gang interactions, to police and EMT response, to various types of NPCs encountering each other and the situation spiraling from there. Legion is back to Watch Dogs 1 territory here, where you can walk around forever and basically nothing interesting happens. I'll put it this way: Watch Dogs 2 remains my favorite "walk around and observe people" game even AFTER Red Dead Redemption 2 has come and gone. There was an endless amount of nonsense that could be instigated by the player or spawn from the aether and snowball into absolute hilarity. I never got hired of just watching San Francisco in motion. From car accidents, to NPCs calling the police on other NPCs, to overly aggressive security accidentally starting a street war, dogs getting involved, NPCs defending the player, etc etc. Watch Dogs 2 fulfilled its promise of being a game where you can watch people act and prod things from the shadow of your tech, but with Legion they've missed the mark completely.

2. Relating to world systems, there's been a big reduction in scripted encounters as well. What made Watch Dogs 2 work even beyond the AI randomness was that many of those situations could potentially come from a scripted NPC scene. These have mostly been relegated to Albion arrest/abuse scenarios now, but there are way fewer instances of people just having fun, or spouses arguing, or people getting into fights, or rounding a corner and finding a breakdancing crew in a back alley. Most people are just walking around aimlessly or posed in groups, or sat on benches and steps. In combination with the complete downgrade in systems I mentioned before, this leads to a world which is more visually dense due to the clutter and layout of dystopian London, but much less active feeling.

3. Without some kind of leveling system to improve recruits, you're left with a number of characters on your roster that have WAY less infiltration, hacking, and combat options than Marcus. I appreciate the hunt for top tier operatives, but there's a whole progression path missing here to train operatives so that the game starts opening up more without having to rely on specific archetypes. The old skill tree upgrades are strewn across a thousand character combinations and it feels less satisfying.

I won't even bother touching on the narrative and character writing, those were obviously going to take a hit with what the game is trying to do, but the IDEA of Watch Dogs Legion could've still worked without a good narrative, much in the way Xcom style games do- but you have to have dynamism for intrigue and progression for player attachment. They should've gone headfirst into improving the systemic interaction of Watch Dogs 2 THEN layered the recruitment stuff on top of that. I'd like to see them get a real next gen crack at this concept but with the reception to this game who knows where Watch Dogs goes at this point.

Great post, this is the biggest disappointment this year for me, a massive step down from 1 and 2. 2 had an amazing alive city and I was really expecting more here.

Even the combat is a massive step back as your forced to use non lethal weapons on alot of characters etc, the whole recruit angle is just a silly gimmick.

The only thing it has going for it is the gfx are amazing on next gen, but the city feels so dead there is no point in making it look pretty.

I can't even be bothered finishing it. I really hope this didn't kill the entire franchise.

My ranking would be 1 > 2 > legion

1) I loved the windy and rainy setting, I also loved the more serious tone, blacking out entire districts and hiding from helicopters felt great. I also loved all the hacking spying, tackling things like sex trade etc.

2) whilst I didn't like the shift in tone, I really loved the city and its interactions, calling police on gangs and watching the fallout was fantastic, turning a corner and seeing a girl argue with her boyfriend was grest

My ideal game would have been taking the serious tone of 1and the alive city of 2.

London is a great city, but the tone is all over the place and the city is basically dead. Also hated seeing drones and crap everywhere.

Last edited:

painey

Oct 27, 2017
2vrwE10.png

Next gen is here!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

1. The world systems are WAY WAY worse. Like seriously, I don't know if they straight up just ran out of CPU headroom on last gen consoles while trying to implement the recruit generation, but I can't emphasize how big of a step back this is. Watch Dogs 2 is up there as one of the best examples of truly dynamic, systemic, self correcting world loops- from various faction and gang interactions, to police and EMT response, to various types of NPCs encountering each other and the situation spiraling from there. Legion is back to Watch Dogs 1 territory here, where you can walk around forever and basically nothing interesting happens. I'll put it this way: Watch Dogs 2 remains my favorite "walk around and observe people" game even AFTER Red Dead Redemption 2 has come and gone. There was an endless amount of nonsense that could be instigated by the player or spawn from the aether and snowball into absolute hilarity. I never got hired of just watching San Francisco in motion. From car accidents, to NPCs calling the police on other NPCs, to overly aggressive security accidentally starting a street war, dogs getting involved, NPCs defending the player, etc etc. Watch Dogs 2 fulfilled its promise of being a game where you can watch people act and prod things from the shadow of your tech, but with Legion they've missed the mark completely.

I'm totally with you. Love just roaming around in San Francisco of Watch Dogs 2. It feels so damn alive. I'd really love to know why Legion had to regress so hard compared to its own predecessor city life. Should never happen within a series, IMO. It must have been insane work to make everybody recruitable and give them daily schedules. I feel the immersion of London life would have been a much better time investment for the team.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
PS5 version looks amazing but I hate how they make the roads wet, shiny puddles. I just want a clear, dry, sunny day. It's like it's always raining in this game.

Feb 4, 2018
After spending more time with this game, it feels like the dev team should've investigated the "recruit anyone" idea for a day and then discard it for something better. Shame.

Tangeroo

Oct 26, 2017
I have permadeath on.

Maybe I didn't pass the mission that truly begins it.
I had someone go down and they were arrested and not Kia.

Is there a difference?

The game makes it very clear when permadeath gets activated. However, it's also possible to get arrested/injured/kidnapped even if you have Permadeath enabled.

Aug 30, 2020
I'm starting to think WDL is my favorite WD and it's exclusively because of the recruit anyone mechanics. Really a character creator would have been even better for me, and having more dialog fit various character archetypes.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 player here.

Got past the opening mission and after the cutscenes played with the news reports the game crashed.

Booted it back up, hit Continue, goes to that ctos screen, crashes. It's done this twice in a row now without fail.

Edit: Again. Gonna try deleting/redownloading the game.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 version looks amazing but I hate how they make the roads wet, shiny puddles. I just want a clear, dry, sunny day. It's like it's always raining in this game.

Are you playing with HDR on? If so, do you notice that the brightness is constantly flickering as you move around during the day time?

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Best Buy has the ps4 version for 30 dollars bir there's a ps5 version later this month. Is there any reason to wait for it versus the free next gen upgrade ps4 has?

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to decide on ps5 or Xbox series x version. Anyone know what system it's best on? Going off of the other comparisons for other games I'd assume it's close.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
This game is extremely good. It is the most ambitious next gen game by an extremely large margin. Sure, it has bugs and can be janky...and I hate that the engine isn't 60fps-able.

But the scope of this and the variety of ways you can tackle the missions is crazy. It's very impressive that it is as polished as it is tbh, something of this scope will always have junk but this is fairly polished and bug free for the majority of gameplay.

It's kind of like Dishonored...if Dishonored had 500 missions instead of just 10. In terms of how you can approach missions and the general flexibility in the gameplay.

CSMITHY84

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just received my PS5 disc version but with no Gold king pack DLC, Is this unlocked when you start the game or am I missing a code??

Plum

May 31, 2018
This game is extremely good. It is the most ambitious next gen game by an extremely large margin. Sure, it has bugs and can be janky...and I hate that the engine isn't 60fps-able.

But the scope of this and the variety of ways you can tackle the missions is crazy. It's very impressive that it is as polished as it is tbh, something of this scope will always have junk but this is fairly polished and bug free for the majority of gameplay.

It's kind of like Dishonored...if Dishonored had 500 missions instead of just 10. In terms of how you can approach missions and the general flexibility in the gameplay.

After playing some more this is why I'm beginning to like it more. In a game like AC: Valhalla your options are to go in axes-blazing, stealth kill everyone, or shoot everyone in the face with an arrow; but if you want to maximise your potential you can't really do all three at will. Here you can do all of those at any time, or try to do everything remotely, or use one of your uniformed recruits to Hitman-it-up, or hack a drone and turn it against its owners, or simply fly over the entire level dropping cargo on people's heads. Sure, not all of those are viable at all times and some are easier than others, but there's a great level of choice there.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the game is 'extremely' good but, after playing it the 'right way', with Permadeath and Hard Difficulty selected, I'm beginning to warm up to it.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
So, Ubi have tweeted inre Vahalla, to say that they are aware of corrupted saves; have they tweeted anything regarding Legion, and people losing progress?

Edit:

"We're talking as soon as possible, but we don't have a date to share right now."

Edit 2: ^ seems to be in relation to tweet regarding crashes on XOS.

Edit 3: Dont know if this is new or not but:
www.ubisoft.com

State of the Game

Watch Dogs: Legion has been out for a few weeks, and we want to take some time to talk to you about the current state of the game, what we have done so far and what’s coming next.

Last edited:

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So, Ubi have tweeted inre Vahalla, to say that they are aware of corrupted saves; have they tweeted anything regarding Legion, and people losing progress?

Edit:

"We're talking as soon as possible, but we don't have a date to share right now."

Edit 2: ^ seems to be in relation to tweet regarding crashes on XOS.

Edit 3: Dont know if this is new or not but:
www.ubisoft.com

State of the Game

Watch Dogs: Legion has been out for a few weeks, and we want to take some time to talk to you about the current state of the game, what we have done so far and what’s coming next.

Ugh I'm really not happy that in the patch notes they said they fixed the flickering HDR issue in the last patch when it is still blatantly broken on the PS5.

I hope they realize this and don't think the issue is fixed. It's so bad I can't play the game until it is fixed.