• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Playing on PC for several hours now. Impressions:

- Everyone has a potty mouth.

This irks me quite a bit. I get it, it's Britain, but not everyone on the streets cusses ALL THE TIME. I was in a forced shootout with Albion and I heard one lady enemy yell "THIS HAS GONE TITS UP" after her teammate got killed. C'mon now.

The Construction woker is easy mode, lol.

Drone is easy mode for anyone. There are so many locations where you can call in a drone even if you don't have the perks.

komaruR

Oct 28, 2017
http://www.twitch.tv/komarur
shock hack and spider is so op
just shock then in their face and go for a takedown lol
if you level up for disrupt then its like double shock hack lol
playing on hard and permadeath but nothing was killing my agents.

Last edited:

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Will this game be playable on PS5 at launch or will be have to wait until the Physical PS5 version is released on the 24th?

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
This irks me quite a bit. I get it, it's Britain, but not everyone on the streets cusses ALL THE TIME. I was in a forced shootout with Albion and I heard one lady enemy yell "THIS HAS GONE TITS UP" after her teammate got killed. C'mon now.

Come on now, everyone knows Britain is either super posh or full on drunken cockney. There is no inbetween.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Dalton as my main has completed auto generated google translate voice
My game is broken beyond repair :(

Is this a spoiler? I thought he dies in the prologue? 🤔

Edit:

EHHHH. So I haven't been able to load into my game for ages. and now I just loaded in and all my operators are gone and its given me Dalton as my main?????
JXw2EKE.png

Ahhhh I see, this is hilarious.

Last edited:

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of voice acting that must have been recorded for this is mind blowing.

You can have any character in any cutscene, so every voice actor must have had to record the script for the whole game.

I just had a cutscene where two of my recruits were talking to each other... So they needed to also record alternates for each character for each scene depending on who is talking to who.

Damn

It's such a ridiculously complex and expensive undertaking I'm surprised they even green lit this design decision in the first place
They actually voice modulate to provide distinction. But they still would have had to record the lines in different accents and wrote the lines in a way that it can be inserted in different conversations.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
No it isn't, I respectfully disagree. I know you're the one who knows the ins and outs of the technicality, but there is barely any scene in the game where it doesn't feel like the blacks are washed out.
It's everywhere.

23e5c1b2-d42b-45d2-8bf5-d3c58576fbf2-0.png

d54ed4b6-c258-4888-80ad-16d051f4caed.png

ef6fd742-05cf-4c67-a498-46666fa4acca.png

f435ff44-8468-46b2-8253-e47aafaf4c75-0.png
I get that. I can see that the typical black floor floats above 0 but blacks can achieved when the engine demands. This makes sense It is meant to be be like that, HDR offers more dynamic range in the near black are a, so we don't have to crush blacks as we are used to seeing in very high contrast SDR content.

GIven the state of the game right now who really knows what is meant to be happening. There is clearly a whole bunch of stuff Happening that shouldn't be 😅

Last edited:

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's so fucking weird how they've got a bunch of British Podcasters for the radio sections of the game. Hearing a bunch of folks from the Remainiacs podcast chatting away about totalitarianism or facism in Britain just feels a little too real. And yeah, having Andy Zaltsman on a comedy podcast feels strange too, but it's nice he's getting paid!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I get that. I can see that the typical black floor floats above 0 but blacks can achieved when the engine demands. This makes sense It is meant to be be like that, HDR offers more dynamic range in the near black are a, so we don't have to crush blacks as we are used to seeing in very high contrast SDR content.

GIven the state of the game right now who really knows what is meant to be happening. There is clearly a whole bunch of stuff Happening that

Ah, thank you for the explanation. It just feels immediately wrong when so many other games do this better, plus all the other stuff like broken menus and pre rendered cutscenes confuse even more. 😅

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I never played WD1 or 2 but I think any more of a forced story would have had me drop the game pretty quickly. They also nail the 'legion' idea pretty well, having the story centered around a fixed cast rather than a generic crew would have led to plenty of eye rolling moments IMO.

Also where is this damned pc patch.

modernist

Jan 13, 2018

lol, I think if anything this is pretty low key for seeing someone die. The slang and general understanding of social structure in London is generally hilariously off-key though, it's clear that very few actually English consultants were brought on board and/or listened to.

I'd like to do a larger post on the rendering and accuracy of different boroughs and landmarks big and small since there's a lot that's really interesting + well done.

For instance, I'm entertained that they have a burger place exactly where Burger King is outside of Kings Cross, and also have that ugly building mural the same-

whassupbun

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if anyone here would care about this, but I have to get it off my chest.

So in June, Ubisoft Hong Kong posted a promotional art of WD:L with some characters holding black umbrellas on Facebook:
watch-dogs-legion-ads-vinnykappa-translation-1024x559.jpg

People saw this and thought Ubisoft was in support of the Hong Kong protests (because of the "Umbrella Movement" from 2014, an umbrella is now a symbol for democracy in Hong Kong). Some people praised Ubisoft for it, some weren't so happy about it. Doesn't matter what Ubisoft's intention was, they quickly took down the post and swept the game under the rug.

Since then, their Facebook page never mentioned WD:L again. The game came out yesterday, and they posted about "AGOS: A Game of Space"' (which does look pretty sweet, not gonna lie), as if WD:L doesn't exist.

I don't know where I'm going with this post. But for a game all about anti-surveillance, anti-censorship, civil uprising, etc., it sure is ironic that Ubisoft is choosing to censor itself. The game will probably be (or is already) banned in China anyway.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
lol, I think if anything this is pretty low key for seeing someone die. The slang and general understanding of social structure in London is generally hilariously off-key though, it's clear that very few actually English consultants were brought on board and/or listened to.

I'd like to do a larger post on the rendering and accuracy of different boroughs and landmarks big and small since there's a lot that's really interesting + well done.

For instance, I'm entertained that they have a burger place exactly where Burger King is outside of Kings Cross, and also have that ugly building mural the same-

O don't get me wrong, as always I think the designers did an incredible job with recreating the city. Par the course for pretty much every Ubisoft game the city itself looks incredible, fidelity-wise. And a lot of details to boot.

From AC Unity onwards I feel the designers do the heavy lifting in Ubi games. It's just a shame that pretty much everything else is subpar this time around. In a way it reminds of Breakpoint, which looked incredibly well realised visually, but has little else going for it.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not sure if anyone here would care about this, but I have to get it off my chest.

So in June, Ubisoft Hong Kong posted a promotional art of WD:L with some characters holding black umbrellas on Facebook:

People saw this and thought Ubisoft was in support of the Hong Kong protests (because of the "Umbrella Movement" from 2014, an umbrella is now a symbol for democracy in Hong Kong). Some people praised Ubisoft for it, some weren't so happy about it. Doesn't matter what Ubisoft's intention was, they quickly took down the post and swept the game under the rug.

Since then, their Facebook page never mentioned WD:L again. The game came out yesterday, and they posted about "AGOS: A Game of Space"' (which does look pretty sweet, not gonna lie), as if WD:L doesn't exist.

I don't know where I'm going with this post. But for a game all about anti-surveillance, anti-censorship, civil uprising, etc., it sure is ironic that Ubisoft is choosing to censor itself. The game will probably be (or is already) banned in China anyway.

It's interesting, it's not less crass or cynical than all these Corps hits on Black Lives Matter as a way to promote themselves and their products.
Interesting how they are less keen when it directly affects their bottom line.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah it's really impressive, it's hard to imagine the middling boggling amount of work to recreate London in this way.
As you say though anything involving actual language or culture is quite wide of the mark.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Another problem I have with the game is on pure gameplay basis and that the unique approach of collecting people with all kind of uniforms clash with almost all main missions and also the red points, the "restraint?" areas. (No idea what it's called in english)
Cause I already finished one of the four main villian stories and 90% of it sends me to Albion places. I have yet to see one single f'n area where I can use my medic or police officer.

And while I like the stealth/Hitman style of playing, sometimes I feel it would be easier to sneak in without a uniform cause the discovery bar starts raising so quickly even if they aren't even near you and you can't crouch while in a costume. Sometimes it feels like this way is restricting you more than without.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I actually cant wait to play agian today after work, i really enjoyed it yesterday. Also apart from the NPCs the game looks beautiful with RTX on my PC, and im on a 3080 so it runs well. Its the NPCs what bothes the game graphically down, but at the same time is undertandbale becuase of what the game is trying to do.

The amount of voice acting that must have been recorded for this is mind blowing.

You can have any character in any cutscene, so every voice actor must have had to record the script for the whole game.

I just had a cutscene where two of my recruits were talking to each other... So they needed to also record alternates for each character for each scene depending on who is talking to who.

Damn

It's such a ridiculously complex and expensive undertaking I'm surprised they even green lit this design decision in the first place

At least in the spanish version, the NPCs you can control use a LOT of repeated voice actors, just with the pitches slightly tweaked depending of their age. Still, thats a lot of voicework.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Another problem I have with the game is on pure gameplay basis and that the unique approach of collecting people with all kind of uniforms clash with almost all main missions and also the red points, the "restraint?" areas. (No idea what it's called in english)
Cause I already finished one of the four main villian stories and 90% of it sends me to Albion places. I have yet to see one single f'n area where I can use my medic or police officer.

And while I like the stealth/Hitman style of playing, sometimes I feel it would be easier to sneak in without a uniform cause the discovery bar starts raising so quickly even if they aren't even near you and you can't crouch while in a costume. Sometimes it feels like this way is restricting you more than without.
I have definitely needed the medic or worker uniform, specially recruiting people.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Man cars blow up so easy I this game. In the space of about 30 secs you can wipe out an Intersection.

And the "terrorist" drones just sit and watch. Not even a firetruck, city feels a lot more dead then watchdogs 2.

Where are the random events, all the various convoys going on in the world.

I even miss hacking peoples messages and reading there sms.

Last edited:

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
Well it is quite buggy, is not well optimized and not a great looking game. The story and plot is kinda nonsense and there is no real characters except side characters that call you up at times.

So I get the negativity. It's an above average 6.5/10 game for me.

PS4pro here. It runs fine, no crashes, the city feels alive, it looks good, the recruitment system feels fresh. I already feel more connected to some of my weirdos than to Aiden or Marcus. So far it's a very good experience for me.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China

Its not banned. You can even buy some collector editions thing. Here is their page:

support.ubisoft.com

看门狗:军团 支持 | 官方 Ubisoft Help

育碧官方帮助网站支持、奖励、故障排除和 undefined 的游戏建议。

Its even on Chinese uPlay so it seems it was rated by the government. Also apparently officially available on PS4 there (no Taiwan/HK version).

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ehhhh, I do love this character model but try a bit harder next time Ubisoft ok?

Problem is, her voice on the police officer version fits perfectly, the spy not so much, but spy is more useful, which one do I keep now?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
PS4pro here. It runs fine, no crashes, the city feels alive, it looks good, the recruitment system feels fresh. I already feel more connected to some of my weirdos than to Aiden or Marcus. So far it's a very good experience for me.

Really disagree on that the city 'feels alive'. The NPC's are more dumb than GTA IV that is 12 years old. They barely react if someone is shot or run over right next to them, they just stand there. It's also very barren when it comes to traffic and pedestrians compared to if you have ever been to London.

On my PC it runs worse and looks much worst than RDR 2, and RDR 2 isnt really a contender on a well optimized game. Has also hard crashed once and there are so much janky stuff like punching enemies through walls and so on.

To me it's a step down from WD 2 which was a 7/10 title for me, so maybe 6.5 is a too high rating tbh.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's so fucking weird how they've got a bunch of British Podcasters for the radio sections of the game. Hearing a bunch of folks from the Remainiacs podcast chatting away about totalitarianism or facism in Britain just feels a little too real. And yeah, having Andy Zaltsman on a comedy podcast feels strange too, but it's nice he's getting paid!
It might not be so bad if it didn't play the exact same one each time. Are there others? Because mine just plays the same one about immigration over and over

Oct 20, 2018
So, I am hoping with Aiden Pierce the story will feel more cohesive? That is why I am waiting to get this. I know people don't like him, but the vigilante aspect is really appealing to me. That was the main reason I enjoyed the first so much over the 2nd game. That's not to say I didn't enjoy there sequel though, they brought different things to the table that I could get behind.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
I played for about 30 minutes last night and heard Frank Skinner and David Baddiel's 3 lions about 4 times.

Just looked at the radio soundtrack, and it's such a "safe" set of choices. Shame really. It's borderline Absolute 00's

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Ehhhh, I do love this character model but try a bit harder next time Ubisoft ok?

Problem is, her voice on the police officer version fits perfectly, the spy not so much, but spy is more useful, which one do I keep now?

Well, I don't have to make this decision anymore, she's my second character that died in my game..... Was in a clan kelley warehouse and someone saw me through walls and everything got out of control quickly.... There goes my spy. 😥

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I played for about 30 minutes last night and heard Frank Skinner and David Baddiel's 3 lions about 4 times.

Just looked at the radio soundtrack, and it's such a "safe" set of choices. Shame really. It's borderline Absolute 00's

Agreed. I'm gonna make my own Spotify playlist to play in the background I think. I don't need the fucking Libertines in my futute London.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Picked up the game from my friend who already stopped playing because he didn´t like it at all this morning.

i´ve played a little more than 2 hrs on my PS4Pro and i don´t have much positive things to say tbh

-intro mission was mediocre, shooting feels awful and the melee takedown has no impact at all
-as soon as the game sends you off to the open world it was a severe letdown, looks really dated, drab and empty
-dated feeling and ambiance when soaking the atmosphere in, city doesn´t feel alive
-too little pedestrians walking around, characters faces and animations look like from a PS3 game
-whole brightness is fucked, sometimes dark is super dark, sometimes dark is somewhat dark and daytime lighting looks washed out(doesn´t matter if HDR is activated or not)
-the "unique" traits of the characters are super often the same to another person running around, the random generator doesn´t make sense with age and occupation.
-after you make a district defiant a super bad quality video plays , it is like from a 2010 game
-not even shops to enter, these are just menus(seriously?)
-loading screens are really jarring(like in this boxing tutorial or when entering buildings)
-no real fun activities dor such a large open world...a football minigame, boxing and darts? seriously?
-missions are bland
-you can bypass most puzzles with those big drones
-technically unstable, crashed when leaving the hideout
-very uninteresting gameplay loop
-no different camera perspectives when driving(seriously?)
-even the sightseeing aspect is not there, all the landmarks are just there without fluff text or even a "take a picture" miniquest

gonna play a bit more but i just don´t see how this got 7s, and 8s in the reviews, this is a 6/10 game through and through so far. it is a really dull game and the technical aspects are not good.

Nov 1, 2017

It's pretty interesting. I lived in London for over seven years, and it's both kind of neat and a little jarring to go around the city and see what's the same and what's been changed, compressed, or omitted entirely. For instance, the hotel next to Charing Cross Station in real life is now an escalator in the game.

The one that really struck me, though...the path that runs past Shakespeare's Globe (Bankside Playhouse in the game) goes past several restaurants and apartment buildings, then turns right and goes into a tunnel underneath the Southwark Bridge. In the game, that path cuts off right at the first apartment building. Oh, and what's the main entrance to the Globe has been replaced by the analogue of the Starbucks that's actually across the street in real life.

Last edited:

raviolico

Oct 27, 2017
....there is no denying that the game is really empty(not much to do), dated and technically super rough.

sorry, this is just exaggeration. Not much to do??? What? Maybe what there is to do and experience may no that much fun for you.
But THERE IS much to do. But i value your opinion. The game ist a blast for me, not for you - i get it. It´s fine. But i´m not declaring hivemind opinions as defacto standards to hinder personal enjoyment of game x.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I hate this random character bullshit. Just had a conversation with a lawyer with my construction worker character. They both had the same voice, same mannerism.You can clearly hear the modulation. Characters don't engage in dialogues with the AI. A mission I did had the AI gave me three different insturctions throught the mission. Each time my construction worker lady replied with only saying "yup yup," Fucking sizzling dialogue Ubisoft.

I know why they cut corners like this, I am not expecting them to have 20 different fully voiced characters but I'll take fucking Aiden Pierce over this soulless, custom-made 2014-era looking ass characters.