• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
4K in the console world doesnt mean much of anything. MS and Sony have stretched the definition of 4K to be pretty much anything that upscales to 4K. I am actually interested to see what the true render rate actually is. Maybe it will be full fat 4K, but I would not be shocked if it was upscaled along the way.
Not sure what you mean about Microsoft considering how many Xbox one x 4K games came out.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
There was hope it would be this generation. Unfortunately not.
I don't know why, it was never going to be the case. As long as there remains graphical boundaries to push, developers are going to chase it and in more cases than not, prioritize that over hitting 60fps or 120fps.

And like the Naughty Dog interview the other page, I think people also need to curve their expectations that every game will have a performance mode. If you are designing certain experiences around certain graphical features present, like RT reflections lighting areas or showing reflections that are sort of the game, you won't get a performance mode unless there is a PS5 pro

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
So this game runs on the disrupt engine? I'm not really familiar with it, but if the game is CPU bound, then that would explain why it's 30 fps only. Otherwise lowering the resolution should bring the performance up.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Or developers could stop wasting the resources they have on native 4K.

I personally belive 4k is not the best use of resources considering some of the great rendering techniques we have now and considering how well these techniques can develop moving forward. I'd rather "4k" with bells and whistles then Native 4k with less bells and whistles, but thats a personal choice and I'm not going to slate a Dev for not offering that option.

EDIT: To clarify I'm not saying you are slating the Dev either.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure native 4K is just something we'll see in the launch window. Cross-gen games are easy enough to run at native, and it makes for good marketing. Once things settle down over the next year or so, we'll see fewer and fewer native games, but they'll still look the same with improvements in upscaling and reconstructon techniques. And no one will know except by watching Digital Foundry and their 800% zooms.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
The same people in here that says Series S is more work to developers are asking for multiple modes/options on consoles that demand even more work to developers to achieve and optimize... lol.

Just grab a PC if you want options.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
I'm a little bummed at 30 FPS, but to be expected with RT. Now I know for sure I'll wait until this is on sale. I'll go with Valhalla first this holiday. I was really looking forward to high frame rates being standard this next gen, and the CPU's are finally powerful enough to support 60 FPS in literally everything this gen, but I know some games are going to focus on all the bells and whistles first. Just hope that giving choice becomes the standard....

KTroopA

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Or developers could stop wasting the resources they have on native 4K.

I think this a really strong point to consider going into next gen. Most of us were left dissapointed last gen with 4K and although Dynamic Resolution scratched that itch, the addition of smooth fps and motion blue made it acceptable based on the known limitations of GPU and especially the CPU in both consoles. Next generation that argument dont stand up one bit, plus GPU power is abundant for this type of game that has been done over many times. All thats really changed with WDL is graphics with RT and maybe world density. Overal it looks the same as before. I think most devs will go for 4K or DS and lock that framerate to butter smooth 30fps. They wont chase 60fps as 4K looks better on the box, than 60fps. Also having recently finished Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4 Pro, done proper 30fps is very acceptable to open world imo

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
The same people in here that says Series S is more work to developers are asking for multiple modes/options on consoles that demand even more work to developers to achieve and optimize... lol.

This is not realistic for most and not a valid response to people here that have concerns. The Dev can clearly add a 60fps option but will have to make sacrifices in other areas, which many here would be willing to accept.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Surprised at some of the reactions here...

4K/30 is still going to be very common next-gen.

I wonder when will people around here realize that 60fps will not be the norm for single player games.

This is not realistic for most and not a valid response to people here that have concerns. The Dev can clearly add a 60fps option but will have to make sacrifices in other areas, which many here would be willing to accept.

Then give us the games in either 1080p/60 or in 1440p/60. There's no real reason for 4K.

It's why PC gaming is better on that front because people can play games in either 60 FPS or even in 120 FPS.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017

Bro. I was literally about to post this same thing before seeing your post. LOL. I can't even...

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
The 3700X is a lot more powerful than what the console CPUs can produce, however.

No at 3,6 Ghz it is approximatively the same power than the XSX CPU with SMT and a little bit better than PS5 GPU and I don't count the fact API overhead is lower on consoles.

www.hardwaretimes.com

AMD Ryzen 7 4700G (Renoir Desktop) Beats the Ryzen 7 3700X in Cinebench Multi-Core | Hardware Times

The Cinebench scores of AMD’s upcoming Renoir desktop flagship, the Ryzen 7 4700G have surfaced and it seems that the APU will be faster than its Matisse counterpart, the Ryzen 7 3700X. Both are 65W chips with the former packing a 512 shader Vega 8 iGPU as well, yet it manages to beat the 3700X …

This is the Zen2 CPU of consoles, only 8 MB of L3 but monolithic. 3700X with boost clock is better but consoles CPU are comparable to 3700X base clock and console CPU does less things too. For example, PS5 CPU do nothing for I/O stack out of asking for a file.

?

It's not a 'take' lol...I'd like more options too, but realistically developers will still continue to push visual splendor and not everyone's going to offer options.

The vast majority of launch games are cross gen. I think once we get into the full swing of next-gen games a couple years from now, you'll see a lot more 60 compared to current gen but 30's still going to be most common. And I'm fine with 30, you won't find doom and gloom from me.

Like always if you want 60 fps, you need to buy a PC.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This, more than anything else, is why I could never be a console-only player.
Game developers cannot be trusted to provide good experiences on fixed-spec hardware.
Agreed. It costs to play at the higher quality settings, but if it means being able to always avoid 30FPS, PC gaming will always be worth it.

With DLSS, I expect even 2070 Supers to be able to play this game at 4K/60.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Funny to see people spreading images of the PC Requirements.

Since when Consoles target the highest option available? Kkkkk

A mix of high and medium settings with low budget raytracing is what I expect for the 4k60fps versions (like Assassins Creed Valhalla).

If targeting 30fps... perhaps a medium Raytracing precision and all high settings. This is what I think Watch Dogs Legion will aim for.

And I still think every game should have the option to unlock the framerate with VRR, Freesync, Gsync and all bells and whistles available on high end TVs.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what you mean about Microsoft considering how many Xbox one x 4K games came out.

Some of those stating 4K aren't.

www.xbox.com

Xbox One X Enhanced Games List | Xbox

View the full list of Xbox One X Enhanced titles. Xbox One X Enhanced titles are optimized to take full advantage of the 4K gaming experience.

In common with Pro, DICE employs dynamic resolution scaling, ramping up to the full 4K promised by the patch notes but also dropping from the target under load, where resolution can dip to 3456x1944 in more intense scenes (a 90 per cent resolution scaling on both axis) while one measurement saw the scaler drop further to 3360x1890 - the lowest resolution we saw during a 64-player conquest mode skirmish.

First thing I looked up was bf

www.eurogamer.net

Battlefield 1's Xbox One X patch adds 4K support - but multiplayer is compromised

Three months shy of its second birthday, Electronic Arts surprised gamers with news of an Xbox One X enhanced upgrade f…

Last edited:

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Owning a console is getting weirdly complicated these days. It seems we're getting some customization but to enough for some but could it be too much for many? There is no longer a true experience that devs are working towards on consoles, I'm still not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I know options are good but the strength of consoles has always been simplicity and if we're drifting further and further away from that simplicity theses boxes seem less and less appealing. The tired dad that just wants to play Watch Dogs on his Series X isn't going to know what RT is or the difference between 1440p and 4k or know what an unlocked framerate is. I don't know what I'm getting at here I'm just rambling I guess.

Aug 30, 2020
No at 3,6 Ghz it is approximatively the same power than the XSX CPU with SMT and a little bit better than PS5 GPU and I don't count the fact API overhead is lower on consoles.

www.hardwaretimes.com

AMD Ryzen 7 4700G (Renoir Desktop) Beats the Ryzen 7 3700X in Cinebench Multi-Core | Hardware Times

The Cinebench scores of AMD’s upcoming Renoir desktop flagship, the Ryzen 7 4700G have surfaced and it seems that the APU will be faster than its Matisse counterpart, the Ryzen 7 3700X. Both are 65W chips with the former packing a 512 shader Vega 8 iGPU as well, yet it manages to beat the 3700X …

This is the Zen2 CPU of consoles, only 8 MB of L3 but monolithic. 3700X with boost clock is better but consoles CPU are comparable to 3700X base clock and console CPU does less things too. For example, PS5 CPU do nothing for I/O stack out of asking for a file.

How can it be approximately the same when the console CPU will always run significantly lower clocks? And the Zen 2 CPU in consoles isn't just a laptop CPU, it's a stripped down CPU.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
This thread just makes me glad I can totally play at 30 fps without feeling like I'm getting a bad experience. I certainly notice and prefer 60 when it's available, but the eye candy is often worth it for 30 fps console games imo!

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
How can it be approximately the same when the console CPU will always run significantly lower clocks? And the Zen 2 CPU in consoles isn't just a laptop CPU, it's a stripped down CPU.

Like I said this is not a stripped down CPU. This is the 4700G CPU without boost clock.

This is equivalent to a 3700X or an AMD 4700G running at base clock and with less API overhead. There is a 16% advantage for the 3700X at boost clock but with the lower API overhead and the fact than the CPU does less things currently on PS5 for example on the I/O stack field I am not sure the 3700X is far ahead in real world performance than the console CPU. For sure it is less than 16% for XSX or 20% for PS5.

EDIT:
gpuopen.com

Porting Detroit: Become Human from PlayStation® 4 to PC - Part 1

Porting the PS4® game Detroit: Become Human to PC presented some interesting challenges. This first part of a joint collaboration from engineers at Quantic Dream and AMD discusses the decision to use Vulkan® and talks shader pipelines and descriptors.

And because PC has multiple configuration, there will always be some abstraction and a little bit of overhead compared to console.

OpenGL and older versions of DirectX provide a very simple model to drive GPUs. These APIs are easy to understand and are very suitable for learning purposes. They rely on the driver to do a lot of work which is hidden from the developer. Consequently, it can be very hard to optimize a full-featured 3D engine.

On the opposite side, the PlayStation 4 API is very light and very close to the hardware.

Vulkan is somewhere in the middle. There is still an abstraction because it runs on different GPUs, but we have much more control. For instance, we are responsible for handling memory or implementing a shader cache. As the driver has less work to do, we have more work to do! However, coming from the PlayStation, we were more comfortable with controlling everything.

Last edited:

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
This thread just makes me glad I can totally play at 30 fps without feeling like I'm getting a bad experience. I certainly notice and prefer 60 when it's available, but the eye candy is often worth it for 30 fps console games imo!
Same here, don't really understand the 30 fps hate on console, I can feel it badly on PC but console gaming is perfectly fine for me.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Raytracing is easily the most overrated graphical feature out there. The performance penalty is simply not work it.

It really is, but if they want to use it, fine Just allow an optional 60fps mode, whatever the tradeoff, even if 1080p.

My policy on games this gen is no 60fps option, no buy.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
There was hope it would be this generation. Unfortunately not.
There never was any "hope". There is nothing in PS4 or XBO which prevents developers from making all games on them 60 fps titles. This isn't changing with PS5/XSX in any way. It's always a choice of the developer which framerate a game is running on.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
This could be Ubisoft wanting parity across all platforms and little to do with whether the new systems can do 60fps. It's a cross gen title and it's likely easier to implement 4K than doubling frames. Is Assassins Creed 60fps on next gen?

Assassin's Creed has a 60fps mode on Xbox Series X , straight from Ubisoft's mouth.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Haha. Don't get me wrong - I play most of my games on the pc. But none of my buddies do.

That was me 10 years ago. But it didn't take me long to flip them. unfortunately I created monsters. Now they are all PC master race bastards. they make me roll me eyes sometimes the way they talk about consoles. "What happened to you guys!?".

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Just wow @ some of the reactions in here. These are $400 and $500 consoles. If you want the full suite of resolution, frame rate, and RT settings at your fingertips, there's a different, considerably more expensive option out there waiting for you...