• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Except it isn't. That's an amusing conspiracy theory to have, but it doesn't make a lick of sense, because they can target whatever frame rate they want to. They're not beholden to one or the other, but the fact that they decided to target 30fps over 60fps compounds their points, and they've explained why they went that direction several times already.

Hell, it's abundantly clear even when playing their recent single player campaigns. The level of fidelity, the size of the arenas and levels, the quality of animations and physics, the lighting, geometric and foliage density etc, it's just far removed from what we see in 60fps PS4 console games, or even compared to their 60fps multiplayer modes.
Yeah it be a shame if we got a compromised experience, because they targeted 60 fps. Now if they ever decide to upgrade the game for nextgen, we can experience the game in its full glory at 60 fps without any compromises.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
A good middle ground would've been 1440p/60fps with Ray tracing off or a 1080p/60fps with ray tracing on alongside 4K30fps ray tracing on. Would be nice if devs are able to provide more options to players!

Tezza

Nov 15, 2017
Surprised at some of the reactions here...

4K/30 is still going to be very common next-gen.

I think this is due to the marketing of these consoles, and I point the finger more towards Microsoft. Microsoft messaging has been about brute power and 120fps, 4K, and RT so when games come at 30fps yes gamers will react badly.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
People want all of the normal PC options without buying one correct?

If you don't want Sony deciding the settings then get a PC. Otherwise developers will give what they feel is best at that price point.
Or you speak up and hopefully get some more options on the future as we've seen happen at times. Not sure why some joker has to always come advise people to purchase something they're not interested in over the suggestion of an additional graphics mode. 4K 30fps with RT is isn't bad necessarily, but good grief, folks are asking for performance mode at 60, not a new purchase of an entirely different platform. Having multiple graphics modes in a games is no longer unusual in common gaming on consoles. Use your head.

Last edited:

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
People saying they won't buy 30fps this gen?

So you guys never bought console games in previous gens right? Lmao

60fps will never be the norm.
I do think 1440p 60fps is being ignored by all devs for a reason...but it would be my choice if I was presented with it tbh.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds fucking awesome, let's go!

Edit: You want graphics options? Go buy a PC. Better graphics at 30 fps is never going away, and I'm here for it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

I do think 1440p 60fps is being ignored by all devs for a reason...but it would be my choice if I was presented with it tbh.
If Spider-Man is anything to go off of we will get a next gen version at 30fps and an Xbox one/ps4 version at 60 fps

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017

Not ignored by Bluepoint, at least, and Demon's Souls isn't even a cross-gen game.

I agree with you, though. Outright ignoring or refusing to play games because they're 30fps sounds silly to me. How many generation-defining games will you be missing out on?

Aug 30, 2020
Then this footage from XSS is indeed a mixture of SSR + cubemap/planar reflection:

Yep, no raytracing in this scene. Look below the enemy character's arm as he flails around. SSR artifacting.

Well it's a bit hard to tell. Might be a fallback RT reflection going on there preventing it from looking worse than it does. Could be a reflection map. Obvious temporal effect making it even harder to tell.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, not sure they want such a "warning sign" on a bunch of their own upcoming titles

Funny enough most of Sony upcoming game have a 60fps mode and Halo will of course have it also.
Guess the question is will they stick with that a year or 2 from now.

WD being 4K\30 is expected but would be nice if they had a higher fps mode.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Yeah bigger frame budget way more you can do with it vs half or a quarter with 120fps. games become more and more lifeless higher framerate you go. dirt 5 comparisons between frame rates kind of shows how that works.
we should see multiplayer games and games where super twitch matters we'll see at 60-120 but most games will go for the bigger frame budget and design around that and may give folks performance modes with compromises.
Yep, no raytracing in this scene. Look below the enemy character's arm as he flails around. SSR artifacting.

Well it's a bit hard to tell. Might be a fallback RT reflection going on there preventing it from looking worse than it does. Could be a reflection map. Obvious temporal effect making it even harder to tell.
Yeah that's hard to tell. Def could be a fall back too.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
Or you speak up and hopefully get some more options on the future as we've seen happen at times. Not sure why some joker has to always come advise people to purchase something they're not interested in over the suggestion of an additional graphics mode. Good grief, folks are asking for performance mode at 60, not a new purchase of an entirely different platform. Having multiple graphics modes in a game is no longer unusual in common gaming. Use your head.

Thanks for the insults. If you want those options available how about moving to the platform that makes it possible. If not keep asking though history has shown. This will be on case by case basis as I said. The devs make the choice on console.

You don't get the entire cake for 500 bucks. If someone needs to use their brain its you. You get what they feel is best.

What is more likely to happen? The options will be dependent on game and budget/studio basis? Or because you asked, every studio and publisher will accommodate you? Even though the console is the new baseline for this generation.

Key word baseline. PS5 and XSX will be awesome but some are asking more than what will be delivered.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Man. I'm sorry but I'm good on 30fps. Let me turn of RT and have 60.

Well, I guess this doesn't apply to me really since I'll be playing it on PC at 4K/60 w/RT thanks to DLSS. But if I were buying it on console, I'd want the option. Hopefully they provide said option. Down the line if not at launch.

Action games at 30fps fucking sucks. Sorry. Not in 2020.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
As long as it's a solid 30 I can deal with it... if there are drops however let me turn some stuff off.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like only enthusiast forums would pick 60 FPS over higher resolution/RT.

Especially if there are no dips below 30.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Antagonising other members over a series of posts
Thanks for the insults. If you want those options available how about moving to the platform that makes it possible. If not keep asking though history has shown. This will be on case by case basis as I said. The devs make the choice on console.

You don't get the entire cake for 500 bucks. If someone needs to use their brain its you. You get what they feel is best.
This first sentence of this post was so daft it made my stomach hurt for a second. Please seriously use your noggin and stop suggesting people buy a fucking PC because they asked for the existence of a single performance option. You can slice it however you like and it's a ridiculous point and it's crazy that you're still doubling down on it. Trust me, I'll live without it one way or the other, so maybe spare the silly suggestions? Many games already have the option. Even so, say we get the option in the future? What then? Do I get cake then and you learn to think about what you post?

That said, it's a rhetorical question and I'm not interested in your answer either way so enjoy the rest of your day. I just think it's insane that someone's response to folks asking about a single lower resolution/higher FPS performance setting in a game is to buy a PC because any alternative is just too far beyond their limited way of thinking. No need to behave like 1080, 60fps is sci-fi.

Last edited:

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Really hoping to avoid 30fps where possible. I have a rtx 3080 so it won't be a problem on PC. But for consoles, I hope publishers/devs ensure 60fps remains widely available.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this is cross-gen, open world games being 30fps is likely to be norm going into this gen. Especially whatever rockstar decides to release this coming gen.

Yopis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Coast
User Banned (5 Days): Hostility, antagonizing another user
This first sentence of this post was so daft it made my stomach hurt for a second. Please seriously use your noggin and stop suggesting people buy a fucking PC because they asked for the existence of a single performance option. You can slice it however you like and it's a ridiculous point and it's crazy that you're still doubling down on it. Trust me, I'll live without it one way or the other, so maybe spare the silly suggestions? Many games already have the option. Even so, say we get the option in the future? What then? Do I get cake then and you learn to think about what you post?

That said, it's a rhetorical question and I'm not interested in your answer either way so enjoy the rest of your day. I just think it's insane that someone's response to folks asking about a single performance setting in a game is to buy a PC because any alternative is just too far beyond their limited way of thinking.

Enjoy the day clown. Tell me in seven years how you asking nicely turned out.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Raytracing is easily the most overrated graphical feature out there. The performance penalty is simply not work it.

This.
It is a nice feature, but it is not worth the great performance cost. It really seems to be more of a prestige thing at this point. Every AAA video game needs to have it, just because.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
1080p is more than good enough for me. Very dissapointing there's no option to render at a lower res and have a better frame rate. This game should almost certainly be able to run 1080p/60 even with RT

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
4K/30 is a disappointment that I should probably get used to. Even on a 65" TV, I'd rather have lower resolution with 60 fps.
Thankfully at least for Watch Dogs Legion, I got it free on PC with my RTX 3080.

I just really hope more devs give us options on console for resolution/performance in the future.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Wish they'd just give a damn 60fps option, even if they have to do what Insomniac have done and turn off RT.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
And you know how Valhalla runs on PS5 and SX?
4K/60.

FatalLightheartedCooter-small.gif
The "gotcha" moment really doesn't work here, because we are talking about different games and looking at the PC specs needed for native 4K and 60FPS, I'd imagine console would struggle on the GPU side

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoy the day clown. Tell me in seven years how you asking nicely turned out.
Lol, I'll probably have moved on to something else or most likely won't care. I only care so much now if we're being honest which is why the alternative suggestion of going PC particularly silly. What's more clownish though? A couple posts regarding a graphics setting or me throwing a grand down the drain and purchasing a platform I was never interested in? You're not really making the point you're intending. Once again, you have a nice day, ive got a children party at 5 and they're going to need their ballon animals.

Hoping all next-gen games have a 1080p performance mode that's 60fps. I think I'd be fine with continuing to skip 4K if I could get a consistent 60fps library on console.
I would enjoy seeing it as well, but that's Sci-fi stuff on console according to some.

Last edited:

dantevsninjas

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping all next-gen games have a 1080p performance mode that's 60fps. I think I'd be fine with continuing to skip 4K if I could get a consistent 60fps library on console.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
No one should be surprised at all about this. Developers are always going to priorities visuals over performance even with next-gen. You can't sell 60fps in a screenshot.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I hoped this would be the generation of options. I'd rather have 60 fps then raytracing.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
4k with ray tracing is pretty intensive so even 30 seems pretty impressive. I do wonder how the ray tracing is compared to the PC version. Digital Foundry is going to have content for days.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I wish people would leave it to the professionals, i.e., the developers to design their games around a frame budget for console games. I'm a console gamer all the way that appreciates the difficulty of developing games. One of the only benefits of being a console gamer is the developer optimizes the experience to maximize graphics and rendering. Albeit, with a set frame budget at either 30 or 60fps.

I'm all for choices, don't get me wrong. But not all teams have the resources or budget to deliver performance modes. I get WD is made by Ubisoft, but perhaps the development team rejected the trade-offs for developing another rendering mode. The people here whining for performance modes in their console should honestly buy a PC.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
You're right; people were excited about 120Hz so that they could go back to playing 30fps games.
I've never once heard a person mention framerate outside of an enthusiast setting, lol. Met a lot of gamers in my day.

Could be 100% anecdotal, but I've definitely met plenty of regular people and gamers that instantly notice a better looking game (resolution, RT, HDR, etc)

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
It isn't frame rate > visuals. Frame rate IS visuals. Video games are displayed in almost constant motion and when the frame rate is at 30 FPS—especially on newer panels with accurate refresh rates—you end up with massive loss of visual detail from judder and/or smearing. Arguably a larger loss than simply lowering the resolution.

Adding a frame rate option should be a standard feature this generation.