• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
6 total. 4 are randomized/created characters so not fully voiced with storylines. Two are pre-sets who do have custom lines and story interactions.
Ah that's disappointing. Iirc Wasteland 2 had 8 slots. 4 for player made characters and 4 for set companions

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Looks good, but presentation looks a bit rough. Not really the graphics, mainly the UI. Hopefully you can scale down the size of it and such, looks quite busy on-screen.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Which of these reviews best describes the co-op functionality. Is it like divinity?

Very interested in this. Been looking for a new coop game.

rectifygaming.com

Wasteland 3 is a CO-OP Paradise.

Co-op is everywhere lately. What used to be a genre reserved strictly for beat em ups has grown and expanded to almost every style of game possible. CRPG’s are no stranger to co-op gameplay. Baldur’s Gate, Divinity Original Sin are… Read more ›

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a backer of inXile's Kickstarter projects, it always felt like they were so close to nailing a great game. I'm happy that this turned out well.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Welp time to finally start Wasteland 2.

Is the first game worth playing or is it too outdated I should watch a playthrough instead ?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Welp time to finally start Wasteland 2.

Is the first game worth playing or is it too outdated I should watch a playthrough instead ?
It was released in 1988 and is apparently hard as balls. 2 isn't a direct sequel though, i played 2 without even looking up a summary of 1 and followed along fine.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I know but the guy said he was short on money, that's why I posted that. That being said, WL3 seems a better value than Pathfinder (more polished it seems).
Correct he could not by both. Thus the limited funds and wanted to know which if he could only get one.

Console codes were quite late but the PC ones went out a week ahead of time. Still rough for such a long game but not undoable.
Ya I did notice console seemed later from some of the people I know who were doing that version versus pc.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
This game wasn't on my radar before despite having Gamepass. But after seeing some of these reviews I'm definitely giving it a shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow... I backed Wasteland 2 but honestly couldn't be bothered booting it up after I saw the middling response from fans and critics. These impressions are a nice surprise, I'm now cautiously optimistic.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Looks like I need to resubb to Gamepass PC for this, I'm happy to see the great review scores. WL2 really couldn't grab me at all due to the dull presentation.

Also, before this thread's OP I had no idea this was coming to PS4. Thought it was Microsoft platform exclusive.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Damn, I was already super hyped for this game. I don't have my PS4 at the moment and wont for some time and don't have an xbox so its gonna be a while for me.

Been wanting to play through Wasteland 2 but kind of worried about what I've heard about how it plays and such, wouldn't want to get burned out on it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lot of talk about places getting review code quite late. IGN at least have said they won't have theirs up til later
Thanks mate. Didn't know that. Hope they don't rush through the game. Their scores are weighted quite high I'd imagine on MC.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Looks good, but presentation looks a bit rough. Not really the graphics, mainly the UI. Hopefully you can scale down the size of it and such, looks quite busy on-screen.

This worries me. It's normal for these types of games to have a lot of info to convey to the player, but the UI is ginormous, something being done almost certainly because of consoles. Or well, for TV users, cause now a days a lot of PC gamers are also gaming on their TV's.

I hope we can scale it down on PC, or preferably, I hope there's a different UI specifically for PC that we can switch between. More games should do this. A UI tailored to a monitor and a mouse and keyboard and another tailored to a TV and a gamepad.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
Wow... I backed Wasteland 2 but honestly couldn't be bothered booting it up after I saw the middling response from fans and critics. These impressions are a nice surprise, I'm now cautiously optimistic.
I just pre-ordered 3. I didn't like 2 very much either, but one review echoed this. He didn't like 2 but loved 3. I'm in.

Oct 27, 2017
Co-op campaign!

... no crossplay.

... no local.

I hate this planet.

I think you can just play this game as a hot-controller type thing. Combat is turn-based, so it is going to take the same amount of time whether you share a controller or play online. Exploration suffers a bit, but I think the tradeoff would be a screen chopped in half and overlapping audio :(

But yeah, MS seems to be hands off when it comes to enforcing their message to the studios.

Can you use two controllers as inputs at the same time? (so you don't have to share a controller and just do the inputs when it is your characters' turn?

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Any PC players using custom pics? I'm feeling a MacReady pic for my party leader.

3DT1sWrg_400x400.jpg

Also, here's how to add them.

Custom portraits should be 420x337px as either a JPG or PNG and placed into a self-created folder named: C:Users[USERNAME]DocumentsMy GamesWasteland3Custom Portraits

In wasteland 2 I had Wez merking dudes with a rush down bladed build. Time to rest, you fucked up butcher.
Mad-Max-2-Road-Warrior-Wez.jpg

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
"In Wasteland 3, a journey of (at least) 80 hours begins with a single… character select screen" - taken from https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/25/wasteland-3-how-to-create-friends-and-influence-people/

Bruh, I get about 10 hours into Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 and i'm already like cmon can we get to the end. My man said AT LEAST 80 hours. How is a grown man supposed to play that game?

I think this includes side stuff, not even Divinity is "at least" 80 hours.

But still, probably not a game I should play now lol

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Co-op campaign!

... no crossplay.

... no local.

I hate this planet.
Evolution of Metal
Seeing how coop is implemented in this game, I can see why local coop just wouldn't work. It's not just that you have 2 separate characters to control, it's that you can have 2 separate characters doing COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things. One person can be taking on combat with their squad, while the other person is chasing down quests in town. That just wouldn't be possible in local coop. You could implement a lesser version of it local, but it would be missing a lot of the coop functionality of this game.

Xbox has the feature where you can use two controllers as one.
CoPilot? I'm not sure that could even help any game turn from online to local. The only way CoPilot expands coop mechanically is by turning single player games into local coop games, by sharing the controls. I did this successfully with Forza Horizon 3, where one person controlled the steering of the car and the other person handled the acceleration and braking. Surprisingly doable and quite fun once you got into it.

Ah, but I see you mean to allow 2 people to control 2 characters? or like half the squad? Sure, yea. CoPilot would allow you to do that without swapping controllers. Almost like Sony's phone swap thing they did with Man of Medan (right..? I honestly forget how that feature worked now).

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Does this require less micromanagement than 2? I got about an hour into 2 and the depth and amount of options overwhelmed me, so I turned it off.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Evolution of Metal
Seeing how coop is implemented in this game, I can see why local coop just wouldn't work. It's not just that you have 2 separate characters to control, it's that you can have 2 separate characters doing COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things. One person can be taking on combat with their squad, while the other person is chasing down quests in town. That just wouldn't be possible in local coop. You could implement a lesser version of it local, but it would be missing a lot of the coop functionality of this game.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 has local co-op and it handles those same scenarios very well. I think Original Sin 1 did it too.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing how coop is implemented in this game, I can see why local coop just wouldn't work. It's not just that you have 2 separate characters to control, it's that you can have 2 separate characters doing COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things. One person can be taking on combat with their squad, while the other person is chasing down quests in town. That just wouldn't be possible in local coop.

Divinity OS2 is already doing this.

I think you can just play this game as a hot-controller type thing. Combat is turn-based, so it is going to take the same amount of time whether you share a controller or play online.

It might seem that way, but in practice it doesn't. Try Divinity OS2 if in doubt, where you can split up your party and run around even if your friend's characters are in combat. You can even have one character of your own in combat, while the other is out and about and exploring, while your friend is doing stuff on his own.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It might seem that way, but in practice it doesn't. Try Divinity OS2 if in doubt, where you can split up your party and run around even if your friend's characters are in combat. You can even have one character of your own in combat, while the other is out and about and exploring, while your friend is doing stuff on his own.

Then why play co-op if you are just going to do two separate things?

I don't know what kind of difficulty you played Divinities, but even on the regular it required multiple, if not all, characters to beat every encounter. You could loot or manage inventory when I am in combat, but what is the point? You finish the game faster if you work together instead of scheming something separately.