• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Good example of implicit racism.

The Bezos comments in this thread are so stupid. Like, that comment is legitimately a line Trump uses every day, but as soon as the WaPo publishes something that isn't glowing about Sanders it's "BEzos at it again!" It's wrong when Trump says it every day, and it's just as wrong as when you say it.

wont someone think of the billionaires who made their fortune robbing laborers of their capital

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The Bezos comments in this thread are so stupid. Like, that comment is legitimately a line Trump uses every day, but as soon as the WaPo publishes something that isn't glowing about Sanders it's "BEzos at it again!" It's wrong when Trump says it every day, and it's just as wrong as when you say it.
Equating criticism of Bezos to being Trumpian is some dumb shit. You should feel embarrassed by this post.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's ridiculous to assume that billionaire bodybuilder bezos takes time out of his days to pick headlining photos for his side project of a newspaper.
I think its ridiculous someone thinks this is what anyone is suggesting instead of realizing a paper owned by such a person is implicitly going to be influenced by said owner's positions. The media isn't neutral.

Equating criticism of Bezos to being Trumpian is some dumb shit. You should feel embarrassed by this post.

^^

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This has happened too often for it to be a mere coincidence - there's obviously some antisemitic jerks working at these publications and it's terrifying.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think it's ridiculous to assume that billionaire bodybuilder bezos takes time out of his days to pick headlining photos for his side project of a newspaper.

cool, who was actually explicitly saying this

Jeff can make an account here and cry about it if he's torn up about it

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Nah.

Criticism can be based on legitimate or illegitimate reasons. Claims can be independently evaluated

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
They also dropped this hot sack of shit last year:

KU4vvsa.jpg
Sigh. What the fuck is this?

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I initially thought it was a mistake or an error but that AOC piece of it confirms that it's definitely intentional on the editors part. Shame on you WaPo.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
What is it with the claim that anything remotely hyperbolic is "just like Trump" even when it's coming from left-wing people, I've seen it several times

you guys know hyperbole is an age-old rhetoric tool that predates the fascist we have in the White House, right

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Please show the receipts where people specifically in this thread are saying this was an order direct from Bezos.

Also, fuck Bezos. He doesn't need a defense force. You don't have to look far for research to see that WaPo handles its owner and the company he runs with kiddy gloves.

kambaybolongo

Oct 25, 2017

My favorite part of this post is that it implies the Post usually writes glowing articles about Sanders 😂

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Uhh "in question"? That is blatant as fuck. That image macro only has ONE intent. Thats the most blatant anti Semitic shit I've seen in months.

Goddamn it takes brass ones to print that shit and expect people to not notice. The fuck is their problem.

Jeff Bezos, ladies and gentlemen

Don't do that. If you want to criticize Bezos theres a million ways to do it. But hes not writing articles or deciding artwork daily. Give him shit, but be straight about it at least.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
How the hell is this "in question" when there are at least 3 major publications that used such imagery deliberately?

This is fucking brazen antisemitism. Call it what it is.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Is there some evidence of Bezos being an antisemite that I missed?

I mean there's plenty of stuff to criticize him about, but people somehow making the connect that this is what he wants seems weird.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Will this get any of the same attention as the 👌🏻 trolling from the nazi crowd? I'm not holding my breath.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Bezos doesn't dictate who puts what into articles. Bezos owns WaPo because their interests are such that he doesn't need to.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

I mean there's plenty of stuff to criticize him about, but people somehow making the connect that this is what he wants seems weird.

Assuming that Bezos had something to do with it, he (or whoever is doing this) wouldn't have to be antisemitic himself to think that evoking antisemitic stereotypes to hurt Sanders might be effective.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Billionaires want to protect their power.
Certain politicians threaten their power.
That should get you started

Jun 20, 2019
Glad they took it down. I don't know the Post's arrangement for covering the primary candidates, whether it's one or two politics reporters per major campaign under a single editor or what. And there's the complication that this relates to campaign finance so may have been handled by the finance desk. Whatever the structure is the paper ought to be looking at who makes these decisions.

The same applies to the other candidates of course.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Billionaires want to protect their power.
Certain politicians threaten their power.
That should get you started
I get that Bernie might not be Bezos' preference, but the assumption that he would be ok with using anti-Semitic tactics that have the potential to damage the reputation of his newspaper seems to like a leap to me. Hence the question about if there's some story I missed.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I get that Bernie might not be Bezos' preference, but the assumption that he would be ok with using anti-Semitic tactics that have the potential to damage the reputation of his newspaper seems to like a leap to me. Hence the question about if there's some story I missed.
You people behave like microaggresion against Jews and other minorities isn't an everyday thing

BADMAN

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie played a big part in helping gain visibility for the Amazon $15/hr movement. There's plenty of reasons why Bezos wouldn't like Sanders.

Anyway someone should get fired for this, but they likely won't.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
This is a good example of how to tell an actual anti-semitic greed trope from calling out real greed of a person or organization who happens to be jewish. There's absolutely no reason for them to use a greedy framing there other than the fact that Bernie is jewish.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Well, intentionally antisemitic or not, they are certainly unflattering photos and there does seem to be a pattern.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't actually aware of the "greedily rubbing your hands" stereotype originated (?) as a Jewish caricature. So I'm glad this thread enlightened me on this matter. Seeing as others more well-versed have noticed it, I assume there's an issue. I'm used to seeing this kind of stuff regardless of intentions, so it never would've occurred to me it could be malicous. Kinda a stinker.