• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
And yet Fox News, Breitbart and all the right-wing news sources seem to be doing fine. We all know there are blatant problems with the way journalism functions in the country, but realistically information like this needs to be available to the public. If fascists are giving lies away for free, the only way to counter that is giving the truth away for free as well.

Like if I read an article, I don't want to tell my friends "hey I read this really great article yeah yeah you gotta pay ten bucks to read it too though" - I want them to be able to see it immediately. These barriers are preventing critical information from reaching the public.

Yeah, why doesn't the Washington Post just emulate Fox's business model. Problem solved!

Even if news could be provided for free, it's not like anyone who needs to see information like this is going to be persuaded by a WP article.

And they do sometimes make information they deem critical available for free, for example none of their COVID stories are behind a paywall.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing here seems new. Like this is stuff we surmised the day it happened. We're in bad shape if the media is just now starting to report these concepts.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
No offense to you OP, but most of the info in this article has already been publicized. Here's the gist

-Trump and the GOP's election lies caused the riot
-Trump aggravated the mob during his speech
-Multiple government departments warned of the danger
-Capital Police were not prepared at all
-Several rioters seemed to have intimate knowledge of the building
-After the attack, many GOP politicians still continued spreading lies.

This is another reason PlanetSmasher 's posts aren't well considered. A news source can't give away all of their content for free. If they're going to give away "critical" information for free, a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

Why does this story in particular NEED to be shared? What does it reveal that any minimally engaged person doesn't already know?

I'm not saying the article is pointless. It's absolutely important to continue coverage of events like this. Just like it's absolutely important to support quality journalism instead of relying on free links sent to you by people who care to pay attention.

Nothing here seems new. Like this is stuff we surmised the day it happened. We're in bad shape if the media is just now starting to report these concepts.

There's a massively important difference between "surmised" and "on record."

porcupixel

Oct 26, 2017
Have fun having nobody read this article, then, while more right-wing lies weaken the impact of the ATTEMPTED COUP.

Because that is what's happening. We're almost a year out from the coup now and nobody gives a shit, because information that would actually help people understand it dies behind paywalls.
Again we're just talking about completely different things and for some reason you think you're engaging. Doesn't matter what you think is necessary. Doesn't matter how important you think it is. Doesn't matter what you see as the inevitable consequences of not doing what you say.

Someone's gotta find a way to keep the lights on every month and keep the reporters fed. One of those ways is charging consumers for output. That has actually seemed to work out better for some companies than the old model of relying on classified ads. But if you have a better way, feel free to suggest it.

Also this. Bezos can spare some money to keep the news running.
Can. What makes you sure he will? You have a way to guarantee it? You think if loses money on his purchase for a long enough time he'll keep it running?

It's weird to me how much online discourse today is people just shouting into the void "This thing I think needs to happen needs to happen!"

Oct 28, 2017
At the same time, reporters don't work for free. Unfortunately, the internet has made everyone expect free everything.

I agree, and the expectation that everything is free on the internet really hurt journalism... But also paywalls are a lot more restrictive than print newspapers and I think that deters people.

With printed papers you can always just buy one day's edition if an article interests you, you don't need a whole subscription. Paywalls rarely give you such an option, it's all or nothing.

I actually have an online subscription to a newspaper I want to support. But without getting dozens of those I'm still locked out of all other paywalls. And even if I'd like to pay a bit just to read a single article, in most cases I can't

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Again we're just talking about completely different things and for some reason you think you're engaging. Doesn't matter what you think is necessary. Doesn't matter how important you think it is. Doesn't matter what you see as the inevitable consequences of not doing what you say.

Someone's gotta find a way to keep the lights on every month and keep the reporters fed. One of those ways is charging consumers for output. That has actually seemed to work out better for some companies than the old model of relying on classified ads. But if you have a better way, feel free to suggest it.

Can. What makes you sure he will? You have a way to guarantee it? You think if loses money on his purchase for a long enough time he'll keep it running?

It's weird to me how much online discourse today is people just shouting into the void "This thing I think needs to happen needs to happen!"

All this "keep the lights on" talk sounds like capitalism. News should be free. End đź‘Ź of đź‘Ź story đź‘Ź

(WaPo is only $3.99 a month if you have Amazon Prime and totally worth it.)

$2 is $2 but I also only pay $6 for my iPad subscription. People are acting like a news subscription is some unattainable luxury.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
All this "keep the lights on" talk sounds like capitalism. News should be free. End đź‘Ź of đź‘Ź story đź‘Ź
You're doing the exact same thing that planetsmasher is. That's what the post you quoted is referring to and you're just in here throwing wishes around and completely ignoring any context.

Yeah it should be free. So should housing and healthcare and food and lots of other shit. In the mean time if they stop charging for the articles the articles stop getting made. What's worse, having paywalled articles in addition to free GOP propaganda or nothing but GOP propaganda? Seems to me the answer is pretty cut and dry. I really don't get the anger at journalists being paid for their hard work

Edit: haha oops. I missed the sarcasm entirely. My mistake

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe considering the importance of the topic and what's reported.. perhaps not instantly and aggressively derailing the topic would be in good taste?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, and I understand that. You don't have to side eye me.

Or Christ, maybe you do. You do you.

Sorry if I misread your post. Just blows me away how people who claim to care about information like this being disseminated refuse to pay for it.

"I care very deeply about the truth being reported, and it is of the utmost importance that well-researched journalism be available to people.

But PAY for NEWS!? Fuck that!!"

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have fun having nobody read this article, then, while more right-wing lies weaken the impact of the ATTEMPTED COUP.

Because that is what's happening. We're almost a year out from the coup now and nobody gives a shit, because information that would actually help people understand it dies behind paywalls.

Also this. Bezos can spare some money to keep the news running.
While also true, are you telling me Bezo isn't interested in making a profit because he's Bezo?

Dude wants his money, even if he bought WaPo for reputation and/or ensuring he has good news published about him.

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Meadows comes off as a complete piece of shit idiot. Playing Trump and Pence against each other and lying about what the other is communicating to keep them both happy seems to have worked out wonderfully.

Also some good details on Trump trying to install Clark at the DOJ.

One of the early takeaways was that January 6th was always about keeping Trump in power regardless of the human toll, and it was well planned and funded. Confidential informants and insiders are quoted.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Ugh come on already with this bullshit. Hundreds of hours of work, dozens of people... For 3.99 a month, and people are complaining that it's behind a paywall?

Should people do this work for free or something?
At the least, some articles are so important they shouldn't be hidden behind the pay wall. There's my take on it.

Freedom of information and all that.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh come on already with this bullshit. Hundreds of hours of work, dozens of people... For 3.99 a month, and people are complaining that it's behind a paywall?

Should people do this work for free or something?
No, just how about unobtrusive advertising (no autoplay or full screen video mainly). Plus imagine paying for multiple subscriptions like this.

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, paywalls have always existed. You needed a TV to watch broadcast news, had to pay for a copy of the newspaper. This isn't particularly unique to this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking. Derails. Can a mod get on this? Not every tv show or movie post or book post is about how the user can't pay for it or find a way to watch it. It's a giant comprehensive article full of information, new and old. Read it.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
No offense to you OP, but most of the info in this article has already been publicized. Here's the gist

Yeah there's not much new here. It's a good summary of everything that's happened so far, but that's about it.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Do we already have more discussion about paywalling than the event itself

Yep. An attempted coup is no match for complaining about a $3.99 charge on ERA.

• Then-acting defense secretary Christopher C. Miller did not believe Trump would misuse the military but worried that far-right extremists could bait soldiers into "a Boston Massacre-type situation." Their fears contributed to a fateful decision to keep soldiers away from the Capitol on Jan. 6.

I never thought about that scenario, but after watching Four Hours at the Capitol, I wonder if that is exactly what some of the first wave of rioters wanted to happen.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
And this is why misinformation spreads so rapidly. Articles like this are completely paywalled.
You have a point. I never really thought of this… for every actually informative and educational article there is that's paywalled, a bunch of posers will post their "news"' articles for free knowing tons of low info people are out there just looking for something to read about current events. I can't help but think this has played a profound role in shaping how people form opinions for the worse. Social media is no doubt the worst offender, but still…

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Fucking. Derails. Can a mod get on this? Not every tv show or movie post or book post is about how the user can't pay for it or find a way to watch it. It's a giant comprehensive article full of information, new and old. Read it.
That's the issue lol

I skimmed as much as I could but the entire article looks something like an hour read or so. But looks like most of the info had been covered elsewhere already anyway.

You can also use uBlock O to zap away any paywall elements.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I have noticed how the guilty are going *back* to the lies after they were found to not work.

Note who seems to be ass-covering and be suspicious.

Wray got grilled about not following leads. I have questions; not necessarily hes in on it but that he personally is too slow and lacks imagination.

PS: the conspirators thank some for the doomsaying.

Theyre not. Thats how you got to this days after.

What this is would be a one stop shop for timelines and logic links ala those synopsis ICIJ does in the wake of Papers reports they do.

What is happening is a record of past reportingband events on the eve of hearings to ciunter The Flooding The Zone With Shit incoming. Like whats in the infrastructure bills, or the probable McAuliffe win, lies and nonsequitors to harrass understanding.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

Yeah. It doesn't seem much is new here.

Though, Capital Police seemed to have been unprepared by design.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I agree, and the expectation that everything is free on the internet really hurt journalism... But also paywalls are a lot more restrictive than print newspapers and I think that deters people.

With printed papers you can always just buy one day's edition if an article interests you, you don't need a whole subscription. Paywalls rarely give you such an option, it's all or nothing.

I actually have an online subscription to a newspaper I want to support. But without getting dozens of those I'm still locked out of all other paywalls. And even if I'd like to pay a bit just to read a single article, in most cases I can't
The NYT does allow you to share articles for free. I think it's up to ten per month. And you can also share the link on socials too.

Not sure if WaPo does.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I do recall us hearing that the FBI failed to protect us. On that note the FBI have also had warning about and failed to prevent mass shootings prior to their occurrence I have read.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I am more concerned about what the Jan 6 committee digs up that directly implicates sitting members of congress in aiding the insurrectionists.

Not that I expect them to face any consequences. Just so we have confirmation that they were those bitches we thought they were.