• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Not having LTTP or OOT in the top3 but putting BOTW on #1 feels like trolling

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Breath of the Wild is a hard no for me, as it's my least favorite 3D title in the series. But I can understand why someone else might rank it first so it's cool.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Eh. I mean I get where he's coming from, but at the same time it's just a different type of game design. Pre-BotW post Zelda1 Zelda's we're just designed differently, not flawed. The formula got stale and that's what got them to shake it up, not that it was bad.

They were designed differently...in a way that positioned them much worse for the marketplace relative to the original Zelda.

Like, after the success of BotW, I feel like it's disingenuous to argue that there weren't massive opportunity costs paid from waiting so long to attempt a game like it.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
Whoa @ MM being number 2 it's my favorite of the series. Glad to see the game getting its due.

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Skyward Sword is an amazing game and one day will be recognized as such.

Spirit Tracks has to be last place, only Zelda game I really disliked.

And I would separate the Oracle games, Ages was much better than Seasons.

Jun 17, 2018
Love the top 9 except Majora's Mask being so damm high. Higher than Ocarina, Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Wind Waker... pfffft please!!!

Jun 17, 2018
I personally believe ALBW is the best 2D Zelda game I've played but I'm fine with it
I had major cognitive dissonance after playing that game. I knew it was DAMN good, but Link to the Past has been by far my favorite 2D Zelda for sooooo long. It was hard for me to admit/process that ALBW was errr um better? I'm still not sure how to rank that game....its HIGH for sure though.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
They were designed differently...in a way that positioned them much worse for the marketplace relative to the original Zelda.

Like, after the success of BotW, I feel like it's disingenuous to argue that there weren't massive opportunity costs paid from waiting so long to attempt a game like it.
I don't think the hardware really allowed for open world Zelda before Nintendo went HD. Or at least they would have compromised too much. BotW arrived at the perfect moment.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
with all I've read for years, i'm hoping Link's Awakening blows me out of the water.

I got about an hour plus in so far, at the beginning of dungeon 2. It seems alright, but nothing amazing as of yet.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, any list putting BOTW at number 1 is seriously flawed. It's the only one I flat out bailed on and didn't complete. I don't even consider it a Zelda game.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OOT
WW
BOTW
ALBW
MM
LTTP
LA
SS
TP

BOTW just lacked memorable moments for me. Just needed a little basic Zelda story magic that some of the other entries had.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Are Zelda list threads worse than Final Fantasy list threads? I wonder what franchise gets the most divisive and outrageous when it comes to these...

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Breath of the Wild is a fun sandbox not a fun game. *shrug*

It's 5.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, I feel like this is a good list. LoZ games being lower on a LoZ list still puts them above so many other games. Like, these are all great games, and there are lots of them. Being at the bottom of this list still means the game is better than most others.

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overall, I agree with a lot of the list. Would put OOT higher. Hard agree at BotW being #1. Masterfully created game.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Skyward Sword so low is a damn crime against humanity.

And we all know Twilight Princess doesn't even belong on the list.

BotW is in the right spot tho

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
I like how some people calling BorW a "not a real Zelda game."

Well, that's what made it great imo and made Zelda's name more popular than ever.

I mean, pre BotW, 3D Zelda games are great even Skyward Sword. However, the formula became stale. After Skyward, the time has come for the "RE4" treatment since Skyward was the lowest point of the 3D installment sales wise and many players didn't like it to begin with. I swear that many of the fanbase complains against Skyward at that time besides the controlling mechanics were something like "This game is a safe bet!" or "The formula became redundant and old!".

P.S.: BotW gave me that "Adventure" feel more than any other Zelda game.🤷

Deleted member 15125

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, this list is literally identical to mine. All 17 entries in the exact order that I would put them in. Wild.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I haven't played all the Zelda games, but Link's Awakening is probably the one I've enjoyed the most of those that I played. So I suppose it's cool to see towards the top of this list.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
All 3D zeldas before BoTW should be on the bottom half

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
BoTW is great about its loop of finding places, but basically lacked in every other department. Most of the time you found a spot but there was basically nothing there. This is partly because the shrines were so bad.

Nevertheless my list would be quite different. It's been so long since I've actually played Link's Awakening, so I wonder what I'll think this time around. As a kid I just kept comparing it to a Link to the Past to its detriment.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I fucking detested it and it made me think I had outgrown Zelda. Turns out it was the shitty motion controls and incessant unskippable tutorials/explanations.
Hey man, the motion controls were fine. The horrible game world and shitty story made it a chore tho. And yeah, the hand holding for every little thing was mind numbing.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'd put Four Swords above Spirit Tracks, but otherwise, that's a pretty bang-on list.

Ramako

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
My opinion out of the games I've played:

1) Ocarina of Time - does everything right and is the GOAT; shocked to see its reputation has tanked
2) Breath of the Wild - open world magic
3) Majora's Mask - most creative mechanic and best atmosphere
4) Wind Waker - best sense of adventure
5) A Link to the Past - I probably played it too late in life
6) Skyward Sword - severely underrated, probably the best story in a Zelda game
7) Minish Cap - paint by numbers
8) Twilight Princess - only one I never beat because I was just too bored

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Ah this never gets old.

The blandest, most inept games of some of the other illustrious series over the years? Better than 'the worst Zelda'.

Even the most offensive shovel ware out there from the likes of Steam, XB360 or the PS2, still apparently better than the sorts of titles you hear about in a 'let's crap on Zelda' discussion.

I suppose I feel the same way about Marvel movies. I really like one or two, but the rest? Unwatchable!

Skyward Sword has a special place in my heart (I liked the shopkeeper who always smiles get really brasses off) , but I don't see myself playing it again soon. Where's my pitchfork...

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Started out so good then they made the capital mistake of putting Wind Waker in the upper half. Oh well...

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Hard yes at the top 3.
Would swap 4 and 5.
Big yes at 6 & 7.
Zelda 1 doesn't hold up at all today. Should have been in the lower places.
Skyward Sword is much better than Four Swords/Zelda 2/DS Zelda/TP/Zelda 1.

Good list overall though.

I definitely agree, though for me, I'd have Ocarina of Time at #5, & Wind Waker at #7.

Everything else stays the same.

Skyward Sword got robbed.....and I didn't even like the game that much.

Skyward Swords gets shit on once more!

It's definitely not the best Zelda, but it's a lot better than many give it credit for, imo.

It's one of the weakest Zelda games ever.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
That's a pretty decent list overall. Though BotW and WW should be dropped somewhere along the 10th and Skyward Sword should be higher.