• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
I meant the status quo of two dominant platforms working hard to compete with each other.

One in the lead and the other behind pushed both to be better platforms.

The one platform future removes that competition.

This doesn't lead to a one platform future if anything this move pushes the one behind closer to the one in first. Competition will likely ramp up even higher now and both will have to do something to entice people.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
What a total hypocrite.

Is he though? I mean, there's nothing wrong with what he's saying. You've got these huge conglomerates like Google, Amazon and Facebook circling around the gaming landscape like vultures, ready to swoop in and take advantage of talented studios at the first given sign of weakness, all for their own nefarious purposes. These companies are bad guys that pose a threat to gaming itself. They have bad intentions and don't have the prestige nor the legacy that Microsoft does in the gaming medium. Microsoft can acquire a publisher and we as gamers can relax knowing that all the employees and the wealth of treasured intellectual properties will be safe in the hands of Phil and his exceptional team. Not only will they be safe, but now they'll be better. Franchises no longer shackled by Activision's mismanagement can be reborn and revitalised, for a new generation that's playing games more than ever before on a service that is incredibly affordable and accessible. If you're new to Game Pass, you can buy an Xbox console right now and have access to thousands of acclaimed titles, just for the measly sum of $1! Hell, you don't even have to buy hardware, you can subscribe to Game Pass on your PC or mobile device and have immediate access. There are so many different entry points. No barriers. No hijinks. Just an excellent subscription service that's already reached 25 million subscribers and isn't even close to maxing out. Google and Amazon and Facebook are never going to offer that kind of value and level of trust to the consumer, and that is something that nobody can deny, not even the most ardent Sony fanboy. Phil's a winner. He's not just winning for himself or his colleagues; he's winning for you and me. And most importantly of all - he's winning for gaming.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
Microsoft's deals literally have no effect on Nintendo what so ever, they will always be there. Even Sony will stick around strong. Hell Sony even told it's investors it was gunning for 50%+ market share with the PS5, this is an actual monopoly but no one cares.
There were literal stories of sony board members wanting to kill off xbox during the xbox one generation lmao why are people even surprised they're the same ones who killed of sega

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
The fact that he brought up King's Quest and mentioned other older IP makes me happy. It really sounds like they are going to unshackle studios from CoD.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
All of this sounds good, and like current MS will be a much better steward to this stuff than current Activision is. But also, leadership will eventually change, while the consolidation is forever, so I still worry about long term impact, even if the short term is positive.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
The parallels to when Sony entered gaming and people were freaking out about them doing so are driving me wild right now. History rhymes like a mf 😂

For real. Its incredible man. I can't get enough of these takes.

People don't want to understand that.

The hypocrite is definitely not him in that case

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
People using the possible solution to the problem of sexual/moral harassment (and also the workers on strike) as a ''weapon'' in this situation is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen here, and this is a place where someone delivers a really stupid take every 5 minutes or so.
I am also hopeful things get better, personally I have no reason to not be, but I can't believe most truly care if it does or not when it's used in more silly discussions (like game exclusivity), or when it's for some reason put in a balance against other points (like industry consolidation), why even compare such things?

Ombala

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Phil is a master of PR, wear a gaming t-shirt, name drop an old game and you have people eating from your hand.
Work for a trillion company and consolidate the game market np that's prob good for gamers.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
It was a given that a lot of the conversation here would revolve around Spencer's spin, but I think his comment regarding avoiding Activision's existing legal woes during the transition are really fascinating. Like, is that just bringing in your high-priced attorneys and having them evaluate and say...whatever is there, here's how much you could potentially be liable for...and MS is cool with whatever the number might be, or what? Whatever the terms of the sale are, no one on the selling side is going to forgo corporate protection...if such a thing were even possible (which I can't imagine it would be).

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
That much was obvious when he made a statement damning the situation Activision while literally bailing Kotick out at the exact same time.

Kotick owns around 0.5% of the shares of ATVI, if articles online are to be believed. No matter who does what, he would always have earned many millions from any sale to anyone. There is no other way this could have ended.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I just expect creative freedom.

Not saying this because of console wars but Sony built many IPs like God of War, Uncharted, Ghost of Tsushima.

Xbox has great IPs and great teams but when studios have their creative freedom we will see masterpiece titles from these studios. I think Xbox has enough studios for that.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
Oh Amazon would be whatever.

Anyone suggesting Facebook is just nuts.

Agree that Amazon would have probably been fine and that Facebook would have been awful.

I also think Apple is in theory fine because they normally commit to things, but unless they released a "low" cost entry point then it would be even less accessible.

Google is terrible because they would get bored within 1 year and bail out.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
There were literal stories of sony board members wanting to kill off xbox during the xbox one generation lmao why are people even surprised they're the same ones who killed of sega

E9z0EbxWEAUgZni.jpg

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Is he though? I mean, there's nothing wrong with what he's saying. You've got these huge conglomerates like Google, Amazon and Facebook circling around the gaming landscape like vultures, ready to swoop in and take advantage of talented studios at the first given sign of weakness, all for their own nefarious purposes. These companies are bad guys that pose a threat to gaming itself. They have bad intentions and don't have the prestige nor the legacy that Microsoft does in the gaming medium. Microsoft can acquire a publisher and we as gamers can relax knowing that all the employees and the wealth of treasured intellectual properties will be safe in the hands of Phil and his exceptional team. Not only will they be safe, but now they'll be better. Franchises no longer shackled by Activision's mismanagement can be reborn and revitalised, for a new generation that's playing games more than ever before on a service that is incredibly affordable and accessible. If you're new to Game Pass, you can buy an Xbox console right now and have access to thousands of acclaimed titles, just for the measly sum of $1! Hell, you don't even have to buy hardware, you can subscribe to Game Pass on your PC or mobile device and have immediate access. There are so many different entry points. No barriers. No hijinks. Just an excellent subscription service that's already reached 25 million subscribers and isn't even close to maxing out. Google and Amazon and Facebook are never going to offer that kind of value and level of trust to the consumer, and that is something that nobody can deny, not even the most ardent Sony fanboy. Phil's a winner. He's not just winning for himself or his colleagues; he's winning for you and me. And most importantly of all - he's winning for gaming.

pass the blunt

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
he's not a suit

he's a software engineer who was promoted into an executive role

stop sullying his name for the sake of your stupid fanboy shit

Phil threads always bring out a uh...fun..part of Era

I know they probably used a private server or something but just imagine youre running around questing in ESO and accidentally run into a Microsoft Leadership meeting.

And they do serious RP..Grammer and all

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Some real mask slipping going on around here the last couple of days in response to all of this, full of seething rage and "nogaems" nonsense. Chill. Microsoft grabbed a weakened and beleaguered company having major trouble releasing anything and who is sitting on a treasure trove of vaulted classic IP that would synergize well with Xbox's content preservation efforts and existing studios. So you're mad that your one console but only this one specific console dream suffers? Sure, I sorta get that, but I'm not interested in indulging that; last time one console looked like it was going to pull ahead, know what we all did? We switched. So switch again. Microsoft looks good right now, developers are happy, the product and service are outstanding, and now it's going to get even better. Raven producing Hexen and Heretic on idTech with Microsoft behind it? That's a thing that could happen now. Blizzard with a better release schedule, like more StarCraft and a properly supported Overwatch 2? Bring it. HCS with the production infrastructure of CDL/OWL? It's a dream come true.

This is a Microsoft that cares about its efforts in gaming for the first time ever, really. It's never had meaningful backing commensurate with the status of a successful major consumer-facing product, and now it's getting the star treatment. Enjoy it while it lasts, I say.

Oct 27, 2017
I meant the status quo of two dominant platforms working hard to compete with each other.

One in the lead and the other behind pushed both to be better platforms.

The one platform future removes that competition.

For all the years Sony has dominated Microsoft (ignoring the first few years of the 360), buying studios to make exclusive games, no-one has ever raised the fear of Sony creating a one platform future.

Now all of a sudden the threat of Microsoft becoming the lead platform with Sony chasing... it's the end of gaming as we know it.

Can you not see the hypocrisy here?

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
I don't understand the folks saying "hypocrite" or "hypocrisy" at Spencer's comments. How so?

I mean, to me, yes. The same would be true if Sony buys Capcom, Nintendo buys Square, etc. Gobbling up the industry absolutely harms it in that less people are able to access said products. It's one thing if an indie or AA developer is struggling with finances and wants an opportunity to make the game they want to make, but this is clearly different.

How are less people able to access the products? Anyone who can afford to buy a PlayStation can (in theory) also afford to buy an Xbox. Actually, there's no need for them to buy an Xbox, as they can access Game Pass content via cloud gaming with a monthly subscription, and play on any of the devices they already own. At worst, they'll need to buy a controller.

And if Sony buys Capcom, guess what? I'll need to buy a PS5 if I want to play all of the new Capcom games. But I'd rather have that situation than, say, Capcom falling into financial trouble and going out of business. I didn't like that SFV was a console exclusive, but better that than not having SFV at all. etc.

If Netflix had no exclusive content, would anyone still be paying for it?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Spencer said the Activision Blizzard acquisition process began toward the end of 2021, and part of that process included Microsoft absorbing the many reported challenges Activision Blizzard has faced over the past year, including the lawsuits alleging charges of gender-based discrimination and sexual harassment, as well as a nascent effort to unionize by the company's workers.
"We spent time with the Activision team looking at the incidents, looking at employee polls and then had a good discussion with them about their plan, both the progress they've been making and what their plan was," Spencer said, adding that during the lengthy regulatory process Microsoft would have no involvement with Activision's legal woes. "We had to look at that forward plan and ensure we had a kind of confidence in that."
Most of this article was just generic corporate speak with some interesting viewpoints and non-statements (except Hexen, glad that was mentioned, love that game) but the bolded part here just seems very... naive, for lack of a better word...

Like I think it seems pretty clear as an outsider that the constant workplace harassment issues aren't really going to be fixed in any tangible way under the current Activision... I can't help but feel like there's a solid chance they just fire Kotick and a few other prominent people listed in the reports and then call it a day in terms of everything at Activision, completely disregarding the toxic workplace culture and everything else... Hopefully I'm wrong but I'm not confident

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Concern Trolling; Platform Warring; History of Similar Behaviour
That's really strange : After reading the interview, i thought that i would find a lot of people being happy for Activision Blizzard employees, both because the work culture will have to be different than the toxic one they had, but also because apparently, Microsoft want to use these dormant IPs, which means that some studios might work on something else than Call of Duty.

But some people in this thread rather talk about how Spencer HAS TO BE A BAD GUY, how Microsoft IS SURELY KILLING GAMING, etc... I'm starting to believe that the well being of Activision Blizzard employees might not be that important for gamers.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I really do dislike Spencer. He's basically a suit that tries too hard to resonate with gamers and I can't believe people fall for it.

Microsoft are doing what they always do and that is buy everything and everyone to destroy their competition.

He doesn't care about the industry, that's much is clear to see.

I don't trust Sony or Nintendo suits either.
This acquisition has brought out some gems from the salt mine.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Kotick owns around 0.5% of the shares of ATVI, if articles online are to be believed. No matter who does what, he would always have earned many millions from any sale to anyone. There is no other way this could have ended.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. People expecting MS to kick the CEO of BA for over a decade to the curb immediately and force him to get nothing. It's an impossible ask.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
he's not a suit

he's a software engineer who was promoted into an executive role

stop sullying his name for the sake of your stupid fanboy shit

You don't get where Spencer is by being a "just" software engineer. He knows the game, walks the walk, and talks the talk. The dude is exceptionally slick, or unctuous, if you're not being kind.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
For all the years Sony has dominated Microsoft (ignoring the first few years of the 360), buying studios to make exclusive games, no-one has ever raised the fear of Sony creating a one platform future.

Now all of a sudden the threat of Microsoft becoming the lead platform with Sony chasing... it's the end of gaming as we know it.

Lol Name a multi platform publisher that Sony bought?

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
If Kotick was retired by the board of directors, he would have gotten a LARGER payout. He wasn't going to leave willingly and he's been installed with emergency parachute clauses since the 90s. This acquisition is the fastest way to get him out. Wanting him in jail and penniless is a nice thought, but also a fantasy no matter how much we want it to be true.

Doesn't make sense.

If Bobby could get a larger payout like you said, why would he pick the option that boot him the fastest while getting a lower payout?

He ain't a CEO if he that bad at leveraging his options.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I say this acquisition should be blocked unless MS agrees to give us new Sierra games. Oh and a new Commander Keen too. Give the people what they want/deserve.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

We have had threads here wishing for major manufacturers like Nintendo and others to stop making hardware and just make games for other consoles.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Hilarious that this even needs to be said let alone continually reminded

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
People using the possible solution to the problem of sexual/moral harassment (and also the workers on strike) as a ''weapon'' in this situation is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen here, and this is a place where someone delivers a really stupid take every 5 minutes or so.
I am also hopeful things get better, personally I have no reason to not be, but I can't believe most truly care if it does or not when it's used in more silly discussions (like game exclusivity), or when it's for some reason put in a balance against other points (like industry consolidation), why even compare such things?
Yea people need to stop weaponizing those awful things. I'm sure Kotick is gone, and some of the culture will be cleaned up. But it's tasteless to use it in this context

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

I have already said I know full well Sony would do the same thing if roles were reversed. What I mean by this is I can see a future where Gamepass has succeeded in wiping out competition, where Sony couldn't wipe out MS, or vice versa, this consolidation is the first time I see a path.

This is content consolidation like we have never seen before, so all the parallels to the past don't really mean much to me at the moment.