• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 13364

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah except, he didn't take money from oil and gas companies. But sure. Keep pushing that false narrative. I am sure it will help Bernard. He'll be too busy drawing 100k sized crowds and having a movement based campaign.
Executives.
The pledge:
Taking the pledge means that a politician and their campaign will adopt a policy to not knowingly accept any contributions over $200 from the PACs, executives, or front groups of fossil fuel companies — companies whose primary business is the extraction, processing, distribution, or sale of oil, gas, or coal.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Team Bernard wants to go down that road, they are going to learn exactly what people meant when they said Hillary treated him with kids gloves. Beto is rolling with Obama's campaign team and those folks don't play.

Everything that could be used against Bernie was used: the poem, the Fidel praise, etc. It did not stick. It won't stick. It was actually Bernie that didn't go hard enough on Clinton tbh.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you really think attacking him over donations when he is one of the only candidates on either aisle to refuse any PAC money or any corporate money you clearly have nothing to attack him on.

Everything that could be used against Bernie was used: the poem, the Fidel praise, etc. It did not stick. It won't stick. It was actually Bernie that didn't go hard enough on Clinton tbh.
So bringing up his poor record on minority issues didn't stick?

I had no idea Bernie didn't do horrible amongst African American voters and didn't lose the primary in part due to them not being comfortable with his record on minority issues.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you really think attacking him over donations when he is one of the only candidates on either aisle to refuse any PAC money or any corporate money you clearly have nothing to attack him on.
I know you've carved out a nice little niche as Resetera's number one Beto fan, but it'd be a better look to just concede that breaking this pledge sucks and that we should expect better from him.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know you've carved out a nice little niche as Resetera's number one Beto fan, but it'd be a better look to just concede that breaking this pledge sucks and that we should expect better from him.
His record on fundraising is one of his strongest assets. He has one of the cleanest track records of any Democrat (cleaner than Bernie, by far btw). I just find it funny you have so little to attack him on you use one of his actual strengths. No one buys it.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
hqdefault.jpg

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I had no idea Bernie didn't do horrible amongst African American voters and didn't lose the primary in part due to them not being comfortable with his record on minority issues.

What part of his record? He just didn't connect with black voters and does not know how to connect with them. That's his main issue but as far as I recall it wasn't connected with some policy he enacted. Will Beto be able to connect with black and hispanic voters, I wonder? He got white yuppies all happy, but I am not sure if his "Beto" schtick will be taken as well as Clinton's "abuela".

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
His record on fundraising is one of his strongest assets. He has one of the cleanest track records of any Democrat (cleaner than Bernie, by far btw). I just find it funny you have so little to attack him on you use one of his actual strengths. No one buys it.
If he's so good at fundraising then he should have been able to stick to his pledge and not accept donations from oil and gas executives. Nobody forced him to sign it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What part of his record? He just didn't connect with black voters and does not know how to connect with them. That's his main issue but as far as I recall it wasn't connected with some policy he enacted. Will Beto be able to connect with black and hispanic voters, I wonder? He got white yuppies all happy, but I am not sure if his "Beto" schtick will be taken as well as Clinton's "abuela".
Go watch a video of Bero speaking in a black church in Texas (which he has done a lot) and come back to me on that one.

Oh and if someone thinks black people didn't connect to him for no reason at all related to policies and comments that just isn't true. Black people during the primaries often expressed anger over his stance on guns (Remember Chicago has "gun culture" but Vermont has "hunting culture") for example and saw it as racist.

Beto's charisma with all groups of people is something you underestimate at your own peril:

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go watch a video of Bero speaking in a black church in Texas (which he has done a lot) and come back to me on that one.

Oh and if someone thinks black people didn't connect to him for no reason at all related to policies and comments that just isn't true. Black people during the primaries often expressed anger over his stance on guns (Remember Chicago has "gun culture" but Vermont has "hunting culture") for example and saw it as racist.

Beto's charisma with all groups of people is something you understimate at your own peril:

Well Bernie gun control yes, it's a weak spot. But besides that, Bernie favorables with black democrats are currently just as good as with any other demographic. That will definitely change once the debates start, of course.

I personally find ROBERTO's nickname highly problematic tbh.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're really freaking out about 29 donations? Maybe his campaign missed them? Maybe they will be paid back?
Pretty sure I'm not "freaking out". I just think it should be uncontroversial to point out where a politician has broken a pledge and it's important to hold them to those, particularly with regard to something as crucial as rejecting all oil and gas donations.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Fucking Christ. You are pulling from the GOP playbook? Really? REALLY?

He was called Beto since the day he was born. The idea he uses it to sound "Hispanic" is insanity.

,particularly with regard to something as crucial as rejecting all oil and gas donations.
Again, he did not take a single penny from oil and gas companies. He took zero dollars from corporations or PACs. Only small dollar individual donors. That is a pledge he did not break.

FunkyMonkey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

you have a problem with a name he's had since he was born? give us a break with your fake gop-talking-point bullshit

oh LOL i see you now

Sobriquet

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wilmington, NC
Pretty sure I'm not "freaking out". I just think it should be uncontroversial to point out where a politician has broken a pledge and it's important to hold them to those, particularly with regard to something as crucial as rejecting all oil and gas donations.
Total oil and gas donations: $0

Out of almost $80,000,000 he raised, there were 29 contributions over $200 by oil and gas executives. Worst-case scenario, the grand total from those donations would be $78,300.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Love the witting conflation of "oil and gas companies" with "individuals who work at oil and gas companies."

It's Texas. Of course a lot of your individual donors will work in that industry, just as a lot of NY and NJ-based individual donors will work in finance.

It doesn't mean you're being bought off by big whatever.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we learned the biggest attack lines they have on Beto are a hilariously disproved attack about his nickname he had since birth that the alt-right originated.

And the fact he doesn't take a penny from any corporations or any PACs which puts him as one of the cleanest candidates there is in the country in terms of fundraising (including more than Bernie!) is somehow not perfect enough.

Yeah, Beto will be just fine.

Love the witting conflation of "oil and gas companies" with "individuals who work at oil and gas companies."

It's Texas. Of course a lot of your individual donors will work in that industry, just as a lot of NY and NJ-based individual donors will work in finance.

I work in healthcare. Every candidate I donate to is getting this money from the evil big healthcare industry apparently.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Well Bernie gun control yes, it's a weak spot. But besides that, Bernie favorables with black democrats are currently just as good as with any other demographic. That will definitely change once the debates start, of course.

He's from El Paso. Like 90% of people there are Hispanic so even non Hispanic people are going to be influenced by that culture with nicknames for example.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's from El Paso. Like 90% of people there are Hispanic so even non Hispanic people are going to be influenced by that culture with nicknames for example.
Apparently using his logic Betos parents must have known he would become a national political figure one day so they started calling him Beto since he was a baby so he would sound more Hispanic.

Makes perfect sense!

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Take it up with the people who wrote the pledge he signed that seem to think it is important to include oil and gas executives, I guess.

Deleted member 2426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and antagonizing other users over a series of posts
Did you mean will Beto continue to connect with black and hispanic voters?

Texas does not count okay.

Also, why is this assumed to be still a problem for Bernie? We need voting data yet, but it seems like he has done his work with black democrats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...sanders/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.28c66c2c0207

Although maybe some of his "muh white working class" comments he has made recently will come back to haunt him.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take it up with the people who wrote the pledge he signed that seem to think it is important to include oil and gas executives, I guess.
"Knowingly accept" is the key there. Soliciting would break them, accepting them because no one in intake caught the names would not break the pledge whatsoever. They're literally about .1% of his total.

Deleted member 13364

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Knowingly accept" is the key there. Soliciting would break them, accepting them because no one in intake caught the names would not break the pledge whatsoever. They're literally about .1% of his total.
Well then it shouldn't be controversial to point out that he's taken then so he can do the right thing and give them back.
Principles matter.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well then it shouldn't be controversial to point out that he's taken then so he can do the right thing and give them back.
Principles matter.
Pointing it out is fine in the name of following the rules and such. (He raised near 80M, 80K is a rounding error.)

Doing so going "HE BROKE THE RULES HE LIED THE LYING LIAR" is not, and that's the Sirota/Kotch framing that's a problem, as it's been with every issue that's been thrown so far, between this, "#1 is OIL/GAS DONATIONS" (ignoring that he's #1 in virtually all industries) and the ridiculous spin on an all-but-mandatory-for-a-candidate AIPAC meeting.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
If he's so good at fundraising then he should have been able to stick to his pledge and not accept donations from oil and gas executives. Nobody forced him to sign it.
Hey dude, maybe if you repeat "oil and gas" ten times more, it'll suddenly stick and Bernie will be president.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd gladly vote for Bernie if he wins the primary, but he'd basically be Jimmy Carter 2.0. Nice guy, talks about the right things, doesn't have the political or legislative acumen to actually make them happen. Then we'd be right back to square one with a Republican winning in 2024. We are basically going through a speed run of the late 60s/early 70s right now, let's not fuck it up this time.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god the 2020 will likely top 2016. The same way 2016 topped 2008. And 2008 was pretty ugly. Only reason we don't keep rehashing it is because cause Obama won. Whoever comes in second will likely do the same if we lose 2020 again lolz.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The primaries have not even started and things have already gotten mighty interesting. I can sense 2020 to be even more of a bitter battle than 2016 or 2008 for the people emotionally invested, and 2008 between Clinton and Obama(both between the candidates and the supporters of them) made 2016 look like a walk in the park.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
Let's be real. Most of Bernie's support in 16 was more anti Hillary than pro him AND he was one of two viable candidates.
Thats why Bernie has some of the highest approval ratings right. This beto defensiveness reminds me of Bernie defensiveness in pre 2016, where any criticism is dismissed as veing from dishonest actors.

If Team Bernard wants to go down that road, they are going to learn exactly what people meant when they said Hillary treated him with kids gloves. Beto is rolling with Obama's campaign team and those folks don't play.

Why would Clinton a career politician treat anyone with kid gloves, lets be realistic here.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a bad idea. He lost. That's not a good narrative for the primaries.
Before becoming a nominee: Nixon lost a presidential and governor race. George HW Bush list two senate races. Reagan lost a Presidential race. Bill Clinton lost a governor race. George W Bush lost a congressional race. Hillary lost a presidential race.

Your narrative makes no sense. Presidential nominees are historically full of former losers.

Schlep

Oct 29, 2017
Thats why Bernie has some of the highest approval ratings right. This beto defensiveness reminds me of Bernie defensiveness in pre 2016, where any criticism is dismissed as veing from dishonest actors.

Except if you search anyone offering up the criticism currently, they have an extensive history of stanning for Bernie.

TarNaru33

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm pretty sure his loss with African Americans vs Hillary is mainly due to who he was running against. Older African Americans adore the Clinton's. Hell my dad backed her only because he felt Bill Clinton would really be in charge lol. I was like "what?"

That and most of my family didn't know who Bernie was except some of my cousins when I inquired about it.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on his terrible messaging as the reason.

Except if you search anyone offering up the criticism currently, they have an extensive history of stanning for Bernie.

And the ones primarily backing Beto are primarily Clinton supporters, some of them with misguided grievances.

Both sides were dismissive of criticism and too defensive.

Dont just latch onto anything you see and hear. His name is not an issue and only came from Republicans as criticism. Dont do that, it makes you seem desperate for any information that you feels support you even when it's wrong or twisted. People will take you less seriously and rightly so.

Last edited: