• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's the only one who has a chance I think. I think it'd be awesome for Kamala Harris to win, but I cant see that working at this point yet

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Beto's Answer on football kneeling was A+.
It was basically "I'm from a family of veterans and this is not ok. Please explain why you hate the troops". I mean that was obviously the intention here.

So yeah, it was a pretty good response. He also managed to somehow be respectful to this idiot, while also putting him in his place.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Russian troll farms were backing Beto for Texas. Their plan is working as intended - rally democrats around a candidate they know can't beat Trump. Sad to see.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Russian troll farms were backing Beto for Texas. Their plan is working as intended - rally democrats around a candidate they know can't beat Trump. Sad to see.
Yeah because a charismatic young politician who energizes young people and fills stadiums like no one has done since Obama can't beat Trump. Sure, yeah. Okay.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
In a primary? Sure who cares, vote who you want. If a GENERAL? Fuuuuuck that. Everyone who isn't MAGA needs to be at the polls voting whoever the Dem nominee is.
Burtnfoot is entirely unrealistic about his expectation on how Democrats should handle race. He's not voting for any Democrat because the kind of person he wants, which he never really explains, has to be pure Black and has to basically only campaign on Black race issues.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah because a charismatic young politician who energizes young people and fills stadiums like no one has done since Obama can't beat Trump. Sure, yeah. Okay.

I never claimed that Beto can't do any of these things, I love the guy. Just saying there are recent ex-employees of Russian troll farms who have stated they were instructed to heavily push Beto on US social media as while he is very inspirational, the Russians know that ultimately he is not a candidate who can win the current US election system, therefore he is the perfect Democrat for them. People will go Beto crazy, Trump will win the electoral college system and the Russians are happy.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never claimed that Beto can't do any of these things, I love the guy. Just saying there are recent ex-employees of Russian troll farms who have stated they were instructed to heavily push Beto on US social media as while he is very inspirational, the Russians know that ultimately he is not a candidate who can win the current US election system, therefore he is the perfect Democrat for them. People will go Beto crazy, Trump will win the electoral college system and the Russians are happy.
Beto would beat Trump. Look at how Democrats crushed republicans this cycle.

A Democrat who excites young people and gets record breaking turnout? Trump will lose to that.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't make sense. Why can't Beto "win the US election system"? There's nothing about him that makes it unrealistic for him to win states like PA and MI, both of which have shown shifts away from Trump with the midterms.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes, Barack Obama, who did such a great job.
You do realize Obama is beloved by the Democratic Primary voting base...right? His approval ratings amongst dem primary voters is untouchable. He is more popular than anyone in the party, outside of Michelle. And it isn't even close.

Trashing Obama is not going to get you much love from Democratic Primary voters.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
If there's a better candidate, I haven't personally seen him or her yet. The guy was able to mobilize voters to such an extent where friggin' Texas almost turned blue. Amplifying that on a national stage where your support base would widen vastly feels like a smart move to me.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Well he IS the white obama, so i guess it makes sense?

Seriously, he is a false choice. He supported TPP, would not support HR676, voted for Trump's military budget and voted to deregulate wall street provisions, in addition to the money he has taken from multiple corporate industries. While he was better than the republican alternative when he was running, i dont want him anywhere near the white house.

We dont have time for these charlatans who politician speak themselves into positions of power and then cowtow to their donors.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
yes, Barack Obama, who did such a great job.
He did a great job of getting elected twice. I mean how can you even make an argument that somebody not UBER progressive isn't going to be good enough when Donald Trump is president?

Beto will campaign on raising the minimum wage and universal healthcare, just those two issues alone are important enough to warrant backing a so called "centrist".

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beto would beat Trump. Look at how Democrats crushed republicans this cycle.

A Democrat who excites young people and gets record breaking turnout? Trump will lose to that.

Just like how there was no way Trump could beat Clinton. We're just swapping experience with youth here. As an Australian who despises Trump and followed the Texas election for weeks before it happened purely because I'm so fed up with the US in so many ways I desperately wanted to see change, I'm completely aware of the energy Beto brings. I still agree with the Russians that their favoured democratic candidate will lose the election, just like their favourite democrat lost 2016. Beto looks like a sure thing now but come election day and the electoral college I wouldn't be so sure of that. I pray that I am wrong.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much any non-toxic Democrat is going to win in 2020. I think Harris/Beto is the best shot. 8 years of Harris then pass the torch to Beto for 8 more. Look at the midterms and the polling, its going to be a bloodbath unless Hillary runs again.
where was that base when it was time to vote for Hillary?
Independents voters win elections

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
He did a great job of getting elected twice. I mean how can you even make an argument that somebody not UBER progressive isn't going to be good enough when Donald Trump is president?

Beto will campaign on raising the minimum wage and universal healthcare, just those two issues alone are important enough to warrant backing a so called "centrist".

he did a good job getting elected twice because he was running against a bumbling dumbfuck from Alaska and the decrepit corpse of senate past.
my point is that his failure of enacting meaningful change has led to people's apprehension towards the democratic establishment, thus making a milquetoast candidate like Beto a hard sell. And I say that as a huge At The Drive-In fan. (I even like Beto, he seems like a nice dude and all)

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump was lucky to win in 2016. Republicans should not be winning elections anymore if Dems turnout to vote.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
he did a good job getting elected twice because he was running against a bumbling dumbfuck from Alaska and the decrepit corpse of senate past.
my point is that his failure of enacting meaningful change has led to people's apprehension towards the democratic establishment, thus making a milquetoast candidate like Beto a hard sell. And I say that as a huge At The Drive-In fan.
You talking points seem to be stuck in 2016, to say nothing of your election analysis.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
I am talking about Obama, not Hillary. Obama is as untouchable amongst democratic primary voters. He has near universal approval ratings amongst the party base. You can't trash Obama and win a democratic primary.
no one is asking anyone to trash Obama, I'm just saying you might be overstating his clout.

and yeah, I was wrong, of course Beto will steamroll Trump. I just think it'd be better if it was someone more progressive is all.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
There are some hilariously bad and delusional takes in this thread, most of which have to do with downplaying Beto's potential upside for a host of terribly stupid reasons.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seriously, he is a false choice. He supported TPP, would not support HR676, voted for Trump's military budget and voted to deregulate wall street provisions, in addition to the money he has taken from multiple corporate industries. While he was better than the republican alternative when he was running, i dont want him anywhere near the white house.

We dont have time for these charlatans who politician speak themselves into positions of power and then cowtow to their donors.

I don't know much about American politics but there is something I don't understand. How come it is always these types of "progressives" that have the best shot at becoming a president? First it was Hillary and now Beto. Surely the US can do better than those two?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no one is asking anyone to trash Obama, I'm just saying you might be overstating his clout.

and yeah, I was wrong, of course Beto will steamroll Trump. I just think it'd be better if it was someone more progressive is all.
Polling from this year has Obama with a 95% approval rating amongst Democrats. 95! How is that overstating anything? Polling this summer had 71% of Democrats say Obama was the best President in their lifetime as well.

If anything you are vastly underestimating how popular he remains in the party.

I don't know much about American politics but there is something I don't understand. How come it is always these types of "progressives" that have the best shot at becoming a president? First it was Hillary and now Beto. Surely the US can do better than those two?
Because the only candidates who are more "progressive" than the Beto/Kamala/Gillibrand/Biden wing who are likely to run are Warren and Bernie who have their own host of huge weaknesses that hurt their chances in a primary.

People run for President, not policy stances in a vacuum.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Just like how there was no way Trump could beat Clinton. We're just swapping experience with youth here. As an Australian who despises Trump and followed the Texas election for weeks before it happened purely because I'm so fed up with the US in so many ways I desperately wanted to see change, I'm completely aware of the energy Beto brings. I still agree with the Russians that their favoured democratic candidate will lose the election, just like their favourite democrat lost 2016. Beto looks like a sure thing now but come election day and the electoral college I wouldn't be so sure of that. I pray that I am wrong.

You keep talking about the electoral college as if it's some arcane, unknowable thing that decides elections behind closed doors. It's not. It's just states. It is very likely that Beto can win states that Hillary lost. It's that simple.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
My friend says

1) Beto isn't qualified ala Trump bc hes only been a house rep and city council

2) Beto won't win because he couldn't even beat Ted Cruz!

I'm bashing my head against a wall here, any advice

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This... feels like a purity test. He's definitely a middle-road Democrat. I don't like some of those positions. But christ if he can win, fucking take it. There's sort of an existential threat hanging over the US right now.

He doesn't take any PAC money so I don't know what you mean about "multiple corporate industries".

I do think he probably ought to win something bigger before he runs but shit is dire.

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
My friend says

1) that's more than Trump ever was, and technically no one is ever REALLY TRULY qualified to be president. Shit's hard.
2) No one has come as close to almost beating a republican in Texas as Beto did in decades. He almost pulled off a miracle.

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My friend says

Beto was a 3 term congressman for 6 years. Obama was a senator for only 2 when he announced.

Cruz is actually popular in Texas, more so than Trump is there (its a red state!) and did far better than he had any right to do in a state like that.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
1) that's more than Trump ever was, and technically no one is ever REALLY TRULY qualified to be president. Shit's hard.
2) No one has come as close to almost beating a republican in Texas as Beto did in decades. He almost pulled off a miracle.
I know these things but man I just don't think we're gonna agree.

I'm not dropping an online friend for disagreeing on who the primary nominee should be lol