• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
We'll have to monitor them to make sure they don't accidentally or intentionally hurt themselves, right? We'll have to bring them food, right? We have to have doctors on staff to see to their health, right? We can't let them leave until we've verified they're going to an actual family member under safe circumstances, or this would be the easiest loophole possible for child traffickers to sneak kids into the country, right?
all of those things can be done in a hotel as well as it is done in trailers in the middle of nowhere. you can station staff in a hotel just as you can elsewhere. and i disagree with you about the degree of surveillance needed, but i don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep that just as high in a building that used to be a hotel

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even going to say that you're wrong about this, but I just find it fascinating that this call for nuance only comes after the regime change.
The big difference is these are facilities for children who show up alone claiming they have family in the United States. Trump was deliberately breaking families apart so that children could be shuffled into the for profit adoptions and foster system.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
all of those things can be done in a hotel as well as it is done in trailers in the middle of nowhere. you can station staff in a hotel just as you can elsewhere. and i disagree with you about the degree of surveillance needed, but i don't see why you wouldn't be able to keep that just as high in a building that used to be a hotel

The former administration got denied by a Federal Judge for using hotels to detain minors. https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/politics/migrant-children-detained-hotels-flores/index.html

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I definitely agree that these discussions can get a bit out of hand and unruly. There's like a dozen or so posts responding to people saying this system is inhumane by retorting that "what's the alternative, leaving them in the desert?" It's February 2021, this situation has been cast into the forefront for several years, and has been a dire situation for even longer, if you want to defend the government by noting how things take time or how things are marginally improved and that naysayers offer no alternative, you should at least do the minimum and read up on alternatives offered by activists, open border activists, etc.

Coincidentally, there's an excellent book that just released by Harsha Walia called Border and Rule: Global Migration, Capitalism, and the Rise of Racist Nationalism that can help you do just that.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
European hot take coming in, beware...

While this solution is definitely not ideal, it seems like Trumps' absolute dedication to twist and contort any kind of federally-run agency/institution/procedure into the absolute worst and most cruel version of itself has led to people understandably compeltely rejecting anything that resembles what Trump has done even on a surface level...

Yes, people are conflating two very different issues, both of which were boiled down to "kids in cages" on social media.

1. Trump pursued a policy of forced family separation to needlessly strip children from families who crossed the border together and torture them to the extent allowed by US law as a deterrent to dissuade immigrant families from trying to come to the US. This policy was officially abandoned after an outcry, but the Trump admin may have continued to do it to a small extent afterwards (not sure if this was confirmed) and took such poor records that even now hundreds of these children have not been reunited with their family.

2. Since federal law does not allow unaccompanied minors to be deported, desperate immigrants have in recent years been using the tactic of training their children to cross the border alone, sometimes in hopes that they will establish a path for immigration for the rest of the family, sometimes simply out of desperation to save their children from a perceived worse fate in their home countries. As a result, border facilities are filling up with unaccompanied children that the US has a legal and moral obligation to take care of until they can be placed in more permanent living situations. There probably needs to be significant changes to immigration law if this is what it's incentivizing would-be-immigrants to do, but that would require extensive study and major legal changes and is not something Biden can change overnight.

Both result in "kids in cages." One is due to wanton cruelty, one is the unintended result of a long-standing (but only recently widely used) legal loophole that cannot (and perhaps should not?) be easily changed.

THEY ARE VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Australia is not a model to follow on how to treat migrants lol

In the rest of the world, your prison islands for migrants, where journalists are barred from entry, are considered crimes against humanity
Adults get treated in such inhumane ways here in Australia yes, but children are treated differently that are unaccompanied. I hate what Mannu Island and Christmas Island have become, heck just the initial idea of it all should have been inhumane enough to say no to. Though we also do not have an equivocal situation due to being an island.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even going to say that you're wrong about this, but I just find it fascinating that this call for nuance only comes after the regime change.
All the outrage prior was coming due to forced family separation (which this is not), and concentration camp conditions. There was no nuance needed, previously. This is different.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The former administration got denied by a Federal Judge for using hotels to detain minors. https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/politics/migrant-children-detained-hotels-flores/index.html
If you read why this was blocked it was not because a hotel is unsuitable, but because specifically for how the Trump administration used them. You can get buildings that used to be hotels licensed as suitable for housing migrant children. You can allow transparency and access for legal representation just as well in a hotel as in trailers in the middle of nowhere. You can ensure that contractors involved have the proper qualifications. None of the issues raised were inherent problems connected to using hotel buildings

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Adults get treated in such inhumane ways here in Australia yes, but children are treated differently that are unaccompanied. I hate what Mannu Island and Christmas Island have become, heck just the initial idea of it all should have been inhumane enough to say no to. Though we also do not have an equivocal situation due to being an island.
Much of the reporting I have seen covered horrible conditions for children and adolescents ad well. For example: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-of-children-in-australian-offshore-detention

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
So let me get this straight. I was wrong about the shipping containers being legal buildings, because the actual prisoners are being kept in tents? Like, tent tents? Is this right?

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Maybe one regime was actively seperating children from their families and the other is just holding/housing unaccompanied children? Not fascinating at all.
I'm just not amused when people guilt-trip others over base emotional appeals to "save the kids in cages" for an entire year on behalf of a candidate who was not even making it a highly visible priority during his campaign (which is understandable to some extent due to the all-encompassing quality of COVID), only for that very same crowd to retort "but the fine print!" the next year.

All the outrage prior was coming due to forced family separation (which this is not), and concentration camp conditions. There was no nuance needed, previously. This is different.
So are these not concentration camps anymore? The involvement of contractors with poor track records is cause for concern.

I don't think a lot of posters realize how much they tell on themselves in these threads. This story should be accepted as a necessary, positive thing simply because this is a crisis that needs to be put back in the spotlight. That so many people instinctively jump to the defensive instead is rather disappointing.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Much of the reporting I have seen covered horrible conditions for children and adolescents ad well. For example: https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-of-children-in-australian-offshore-detention
I stand disgustingly corrected. Truthfully I don't follow the detention centre news extremely closely as it's actually difficult to thanks in part with how secret the Liberal government made it all. However, that doesn't change the fact we fucking suck as a country when it comes to treating people humanely while they seek asylum. Man, even shit like asking to watch kids shower...the fuck.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
imrs.php
Classroom
imrs.php

Dinning Area
imrs.php
imrs.php

Intensive Care Unities
imrs.php

Those are all the photos in the article.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Kids in cages" is the same, but to a lesser extent. "Children being separated from families" is non existent in Biden's policy.

There isn't much nuance required. The Trump admin set their Justice Department to charge illegal immigrants as felons, resulting in more separated children than usual. The proposal from critics was to reverse this policy.

Does the Biden admin have this policy? No. Is the proposed solution the same? No. Ok, it isn't the same issue.

It is perfectly reasonable to be horrified by child detention centers, that is the reality of our immigration system, let's change it.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Why didn't they have a plan ready besides opening a remote camps with dubious safety oversights and a history of abuse, run by a contractor with a history of neglecting (and sexual abusing if I'm reading right) children?

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

The article interviews lawyers and advocates who work with these things and they are strongly warning everybody that we should worry about the "conditions, cost and lack of transparency in their operations." The kids are put behind fences and in jail-like bunkers and it's even a previous Trump facility.

Not to mention the fact that the company hired to handle these things has a record of abuse and mistreatment.

You're trying to add nuance to something that should be clear-cut: that these kids should not be put in these detention camps. I thought we were against this during Trump, now all of a sudden we need to talk about nuance? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Last edited:

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
You're trying to add nuance to something that should be clear-cut: that these kids should not be put in these detention camps. I thought we were against this during Trump, now all of a sudden we need to talk about nuance? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
This seems to be the crux of it all. Like were liberals just mad at kids being separated from parents, and not also the whole "being detained against their will" thing?

If so then like... what the fuck y'all?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
So let me get this straight. I was wrong about the shipping containers being legal buildings, because the actual prisoners are being kept in tents? Like, tent tents? Is this right?
You could just read the story and look at the pictures to understand what it means in regards to this story.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017
This seems to be the crux of it all. Like were liberals just mad at kids being separated from parents, and not also the whole "being detained against their will" thing?

actually yes. They were purposely separating families to make the process more cruel. It never meant I was for open borders.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why didn't they have a plan ready besides opening a remote camps with dubious safety oversights and a history of abuse, run by a contractor with a history of neglecting (and sexual abusing if I'm reading right) children?
*edit* My mistake. Employees were accused of having inappropriate relationships with children.

Second, I wouldn't rush to blame this organization for the clusterfuck that was Trump's child separation policy. Trump's admin dumped thousands of kids on these organizations, out of the blue.

Third, sadly these are issues in literally every organization that manages children.

Fourth, we should absolutely strive for better.

Last edited:

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta

To be "fair," a significant subset of these people backtracked their outrage specifically to the family separation aspect alone once they learned that Obama was pretty involved in the other aspects.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
You could just read the story and look at the pictures to understand what it means in regards to this story.
I love me some good snark, but the article isn't very clear what these people are actually being housed in. I guess "trailers" since it mentions it a lot? But again it's not specific. Like if it's that, then what do these trailers look like?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
First, you're not reading right. Children were sexually abusing other children.

"employees were alleged to have struck up "innappropriate relationships" with children in their care".

That doesn't sound like it was kids abusing other kids...

Second, I wouldn't rush to blame this organization for the clusterfuck that was Trump's child separation policy. Trump's admin dumped thousands of kids on these organizations.

Sure but once Trump sent them the kids they were apparently abusing them, stealing from them and doing god knows what else. How can it possibly be a good idea to give them stewardship of another group of children?

Third, sadly these are issues in literally every organization that manages children.

Fourth, we should absolutely strive for better.

Wouldn't striving to be better include not using the same dodgy facilities with the same dodgy company to watch over vulnerable children?

Deleted member 62221

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2019
So who runs these facilities? the same ICE bastards that were accused of abuses during the Trump era or some magic merciful people that appeared out of nowhere?

EDIT: nvm, I just saw the tweet. Apparently a company having a history of abuses deserves a second chance. UNITY!

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be "fair," a significant subset of these people backtracked their outrage specifically to the family separation aspect alone once they learned that Obama was pretty involved in the other aspects.

Do you realize that liberals (including Biden) are the ones pushing for immigration reform that work to solve this issue? Such as keeping families together, improving the process of screening at ports of entry, protecting border communities, addressing the issues in South America, renovating the asylum process, etc.

Takes like these are so ignorant.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017

You get it. That's why posters are trying really hard to paint this as success because it registers as success for them. No family separation? Problem solved. Kids in detention camps are nuance that can be sorted out later.
So you replace the contractor. But what you're replacing them with won't look materially different.
Better things aren't possible.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't sound like it was kids abusing other kids...

Sure but once Trump sent them the kids they were apparently abusing them, stealing from them and doing god knows what else. How can it possibly be a good idea to give them stewardship of another group of children?

Wouldn't striving to be better include not using the same dodgy facilities with the same dodgy company to watch over vulnerable children?

I completely made a mistake, I somehow overlooked the first sentence of the second paragraph. I was referring to the instance in the third paragraph. You are correct, employees were accused of "inappropriate relationships" with children.

Again, tragic, those employees should be prosecuted. And sadly, this happens in so many organizations that deal with children

This organization was picked because they are the second largest organization that does this work in Texas. I don't know the nuances, but it's not hard to imagine why the second largest organization would be picked. I am sure similar issues occur in all of the organizations, to be honest, it's very fucking sad. Our system treats immigrants as subhuman.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
AOC is not happy

Also she addresses that while the Biden admin is only a month old, bold reimagining is necessary. That means hand wringing about how good these prisoners have it compared to Trump is not good enough.
What do you propose we do with a minor that is found entering the country?

I don't know, maybe not throw them into a concentration camp? Sorry, internment camp

Last edited:

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The article interviews lawyers and advocates who work with these things and they are strongly warning everybody that we should worry about the "conditions, cost and lack of transparency in their operations." The kids are put behind fences and in jail-like bunkers and it's even a previous Trump facility.

Not to mention the fact that the company hired to handle these things has a record of abuse and mistreatment.

From my perspective, yes. These are unaccompanied minors coming across the border. They need to be housed temporarily to ensure they have a safe place to go, to safeguard against child trafficking, and a whole host of other completely reasonable concerns that many posters have brought up in this thread. It also seems to last approximately a month. As long as the conditions are safe, comfortable, and very time-limited, I do not have a problem with this.

Now, *are* they safe and comfortable and very time-limited? A reasonable concern. The images seem to be okay, but there is reason to be skeptical. But "OMG BIDEN LOCKING UP CHILDREN" is not a reasonable take, here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I completely made a mistake, I somehow overlooked the first sentence of the second paragraph. I was referring to the instance in the third paragraph. You are correct, employees were accused of "inappropriate relationships" with children.

Again, tragic, those employees should be prosecuted. And sadly, this happens in so many organizations that deal with children.

It seems like BCFS is a disproportionately bad organization though. According to Axios it had 23 allegations of sexually abusing migrant minors from 2015-2018.

www.axios.com

The scandal-ridden industry of migrant child shelters

57% of allegations of sexual abuse of migrant youth by staff occurred in shelters run by three contractors.

Again how is this "striving to do better"? What is being done better?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I love me some good snark, but the article isn't very clear what these people are actually being housed in. I guess "trailers" since it mentions it a lot? But again it's not specific. Like if it's that, then what do these trailers look like?
A trailer is what many kids in the US are taught in when there's school overcrowding. In this case they're used for visits with lawyers. The tents they're talking about are massive, and are used for wide viewing angles so monitors can see as many kids as possible, which is why the hotel suggestion would never work.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
AOC is not happy

I don't know, maybe not throw them into a concentration camp? Sorry, internment camp

From my perspective, yes. These are unaccompanied minors coming across the border. They need to be housed temporarily to ensure they have a safe place to go, to safeguard against child trafficking, and a whole host of other completely reasonable concerns that many posters have brought up in this thread. It also seems to last approximately a month. As long as the conditions are safe, comfortable, and very time-limited, I do not have a problem with this.

Now, *are* they safe and comfortable and very time-limited? A reasonable concern. The images seem to be okay, but there is reason to be skeptical. But "OMG BIDEN LOCKING UP CHILDREN" is not a reasonable take, here.

Above. Make them fully accessible by anyone (state or fed) official that wants to tour them.

Hopefully AOC posts about her choice for what to do. in her 3 tweets I saw from the linked one she just wants to fix the system. Democrats are trying to do that, that doesn't help the problem now.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017

The Biden administration is locking up children. In a facility opened by trump. Managed by a company with logged prior abuses.

What's a reasonable take here?

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

I just provided you with all the information about how lawyers and activists point out that there is a lack of transparency, that the kids are behind barbed wire and in small bunkers, and most importantly of all, the company behind the detention is known for abusing and mistreating children!

We need to be better. Just because Biden's administration is behind this does not mean we should defend or rationalize the fact that children are being put in these non-transparent detention camps run by companies known for abusing and mistreating children.

I'm not trying to argue or have a debate, I am trying to appeal to your empathy - that these kids no matter their circumstances or origins or citizenship, should not be in these detention camps. Please. We cannot try to rationalize the jailing and mistreatment of children here, can't you see how crazy it is?

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
You get it. That's why posters are trying really hard to paint this as success because it registers as success for them. No family separation? Problem solved. Kids in detention camps are nuance that can be sorted out later.

Better things aren't possible.

I don't see many, if any, posters painting this an unqualified success going by the past few pages at least. At best, I see people remarking how the situation still sucks even if it is "improved". And if I missed any, then fuck those people, but improvements on policy are a good thing.

The no family separation is a good thing because it's one less thing to have to fight for. That allows us to focus on other issues more easily. And this situation is awful and needs to be improved fast. I don't want any private contractors doing this shit. And I don't trust HHS or ICE or whoever in the government would, either. I do not take them at their word they are doing better. There needs to be more transparency and there should be outside sources going into these places to directly report on these situations so we know exactly how awful they are so we can raise very specific concerns to our officials. Whether by protest or direct contact.

Feep

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Biden administration is locking up children. In a facility opened by trump. Managed by a company with logged prior abuses.

What's a reasonable take here?
If it is managed by a company with logged prior abuses, then that obviously needs to be addressed as quickly as possible. See my "safe, comfortable, and time-limited" comment above.

But if you don't come up with an actionable plan to protect these children and ensure that child trafficking isn't running rampant, I can't take the "locking up children" thing seriously. Yes, twelve year olds cannot roam freely (in the...desert?), while we ensure that children have a safe place to go within our legal system. Please provide an actual alternative beyond "how about not locking them up", and I will be happy to consider it, but I don't see an easy way around it.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Above. Make them fully accessible by anyone (state or fed) official that wants to tour them.

Hopefully AOC posts about her choice for what to do. in her 3 tweets I saw from the linked one she just wants to fix the system. Democrats are trying to do that, that doesn't help the problem now.
Agreed. An angry tweet doesn't do shit. She's a member of a body of government that can offer alternatives. Now is the time.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I don't know, maybe not throw them into a concentration camp?

You give nothing in terms of solutions. Suggest something concrete. (Not that ngo monitoring, reform of practices and change of contractors, better locations isn't needed)

The foster care system for kids is deeply underprovisioned and overloaded with not enough foster parents. Tossing hundreds or thousands of unaccompanied undocumented minors into that is a bad idea if not scaled up.

www.cbsnews.com

U.S. shelters for migrant children near maximum capacity as border crossings increase

Last week, U.S. border agents apprehended more than 1,500 migrant children, according to government statistics reviewed by CBS News.

Not saying that pressure isn't needed or that things don't need modification.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
You give nothing in terms of solutions. Suggest something concrete. (Not that ngo monitoring, reform of practices and change of contractors, better locations isn't needed)

The foster care system for kids is deeply underprovisioned and overloaded with not enough foster parents. Tossing hundreds or thousands of unaccompanied undocumented minors into that is a bad idea if not scaled up.

www.cbsnews.com

U.S. shelters for migrant children near maximum capacity as border crossings increase

Last week, U.S. border agents apprehended more than 1,500 migrant children, according to government statistics reviewed by CBS News.

Not saying that pressure isn't needed or that things don't need modification.
I'm not a politician, I'm not a solutions person, and neither are you. That's not our job (unless it actually is your job?). Our job as citizens is to demand better and make politicians afraid to continue this bullshit business as usual. We're their bosses, not their employees.

I do agree that the foster system is fucked and needs to be severely overhauled.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like BCFS is a disproportionately bad organization though. According to Axios it had 23 allegations of sexually abusing migrant minors from 2015-2018.

www.axios.com

The scandal-ridden industry of migrant child shelters

57% of allegations of sexual abuse of migrant youth by staff occurred in shelters run by three contractors.

Again how is this "striving to do better"? What is being done better?
Can you explain to me how you draw the conclusion that BCFS is disproportionately bad? I am not doubting you, I just don't understand the metric you're using to determine proportionality.

Southwest Key has the most cases, but they are also the largest organization.
BCFS has the second most cases, but they are also the second largest organization.

I don't see a metric of how many children each manages. If you compare the ratio of cases to federal funds, BCFS is twice as a good as the others.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
If you read why this was blocked it was not because a hotel is unsuitable, but because specifically for how the Trump administration used them. You can get buildings that used to be hotels licensed as suitable for housing migrant children. You can allow transparency and access for legal representation just as well in a hotel as in trailers in the middle of nowhere. You can ensure that contractors involved have the proper qualifications. None of the issues raised were inherent problems connected to using hotel buildings
Again, those kinds of conversions can take upwards of a year.