• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you so defensive? "I act"? You don't know me. You don't know what I do/not know. I didn't know the county and state (not surprised about Abbott meddling in our affairs) were moving to block the purchases of those hotels.
You're the one getting defensive here. Maybe you should know more about what's going on with those hotels before trying to offer them as a solution for a problem at a significantly higher scale.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
So what are those? Your tweets say to send them to family members, but that takes time even without quarantine.

First off, I'd suggest Biden admin rethink its position here:
AN EXECUTIVE ORDER signed by President Joe Biden on Tuesday aiming to end the use of private prisons by the Justice Department does not apply to private facilities used by the Department of Homeland Security to detain immigrants.

The order bars the Justice Department from renewing contracts with private prisons but does not address contracts held by DHS. Biden said during his campaign that he would "make clear that the federal government should not use private facilities for any detention, including detention of undocumented immigrants." It's unclear if the administration is planning future action on the issue.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren praised Biden's order but called on him to end the use of private facilities to hold immigrants.
"Our justice and immigration systems reward private prison companies for locking up more people in worse conditions. I've repeatedly called for an end to private prisons, and I'm glad President Biden is taking action. For-profit immigrant detention facilities have to go too," the Massachusetts Democrat tweeted.

That's something meaningful he can do before he eats dinner tonight.

For what else can be done, there's ATD (Alternatives to Detention) which uses the community instead of armed guards at private camps that cost the taxpayer more money to use
immigrantjustice.org

Report | A Better Way: Community-Based Programming as an Alternative to Immigrant Incarceration

How should the United States treat asylum seekers and immigrants who seek safety and stability in our communities? The question implicates legal, ethical, moral, and economic considerations. The United States government has answered with wasteful policies rooted in cruelty and at odds with...

This has been around for years now, and it should've been planned for before Biden even won the election. It definitely should've been talked about during the transition. Instead, Joe kept making excuses month after month.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine giving benefit of the doubt to the American system after the last 18 years. Couldn't be me. Or giving benefit of the doubt to a man that has been deporting black immigrants by the bucketloads and has already deported nearly 30K people in his first month.

For those simply asking questions about what else could've been done this past month, Biden can follow the same suggestions given to Trump (and Obama) over the years
www.vox.com

Reminder: Trump doesn’t need to keep migrants in detention camps

The administration has better options to enforce immigration and asylum laws.
It doesn't have to be this way. The Trump administration doesn't need to lock up asylum seekers and undocumented immigrants to enforce US immigration laws.​
Requesting asylum is not against the law, so there's no legal requirement to jail them like criminals. Under past administrations, the Department of Homeland Security has usually chosen to lock up both asylum seekers and those who cross the border without a visa, but the agency also created several effective alternatives to detention. The White House could prioritize these programs instead of keeping migrants in such inhumane conditions.​
One alternative is to release immigrants under community supervision, in which a nonprofit group or government contractor provides families with social workers, who help them find housing and transportation, and who make sure they attend court hearings and comply with the law.
[...]​
The Family Case Management Program was launched by the Department of Homeland Security in 2015, in response to the waves of mothers and children seeking asylum from gang violence. Instead of keeping children in detention centers with their parents, families in certain cities were released and monitored by social workers, who helped them find lawyers, housing, and transportation and made sure they attended their court hearings.​
It seemed to work pretty well, according to ICE, though officers never had more than 1,600 people enrolled in the program during the two years it existed (compared to more than 350,000 immigrants who were held in ICE detention centers just in 2016).​
The contractor that ran the program said that 99 percent of participants "successfully attended their court appearances and ICE check-ins." That included the 15 families who were ultimately deported.​
Also, the Texas facility isn't the only kiddy camp being reopened. They're reopening the Homestead facility in Florida and activists are pissed.

Some of you all have lost your goddamn minds if you think any of this is acceptable. And no, it does not have to happen this way. There's a ton of alternative ideas and such the Biden admin can push through yesterday to make the situation better.

Write to your congress members.

This all seems geared towards children accompanied by adults...

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The detention centers hold minors crossing the border, for 2 weeks max, so authorities can find their families or find a suitable sponsor.
see
HHS said its goal is that children will remain at Carrizo for about 30 days, though they are coming from at least two weeks of quarantine at other Office of Refugee Resettlement facilities in the region. The average stay for children in custody across its facilities is 42 days

Oct 26, 2017
Texas deserts? Most undocumented immigrants enter Texas through the Rio Grande Valley and not the Chihuahuan Desert. Apprehensions aren't just made by people wandering around places either.

A realistic expectation, to start, is to not contract with BCFS.
Well I should have used a more generic term like wilderness I suppose, I didn't mean a specific location. But that is beside the point. What I'm curious about is what is the realistic expectation for Biden in his first month of office to handle a broken immigration system that is currently functioning in its own way to try to connect unaccompanied children with homes during a pandemic? Not only were there children staying in those camps during the transition of power, but there has been an influx of new migrants since word got around Biden won. There are certainly possibilities for the future that this admin needs to consider implementing, but given the logistical circumstances what can be done now? And I don't mean that rhetorically, if there is something Biden could be doing that is much better given the current circumstances prior to any legislative reform passing, I want to know.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
You're the one getting defensive here. Maybe you should know more about what's going on with those hotels before trying to offer them as a solution for a problem at a significantly higher scale.
Better than easily throwing my hands up, and going "Welp. Guess there's nothing we can do. Orange Man gone. Good enough for me. No longer my problem."

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so 30 days is their goal and their max is 42 days. I don't want my argument to die on the hill of how long they're given to reunite these kids. I'm sure every case is different. And as I said, it's not an ideal situation. But the two policies have completely different goals and results.

By "both sides"ing, we are muddying the conversation and making it more difficult to find a better solution.

Oct 27, 2017
What happens to a white English-speaking American child who has been orphaned? Are they sent to a remote facility with fences and bars on the windows patrolled by armed guards and never allowed to leave the compound?

How willing are you to double down on this line of argument that says there is literally no better option than incarceration?

If its like my own countries system then social workers will try and place them with family, its very rare there are no surviving family to mind a kid until something can be sorted, otherwise they go to an emergency foster family who will take kids in for short term - my family was such a family and hundreds of kids stayed with us for varying length of time - if no short term foster family could be found then they would go to a supervised home, these had some sort of staff and security etc.

Considering its hard to get short term foster families as it is, and they deal with all sorts of situation where kids need a temporary home, I doubt there is enough for the US indigenous population. Never mind 6k of kids per month, even with the size of the US that's massive. There's no way the social systems you have in place can manage that. You're talking about a huge drive to recruit and vet families to mind these kids. Also you'll have possibly behaviourally and language difficulties on top.

I don't know what the answer is, but they need somewhere to be house to meet their basic needs immediately.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
What I think a lot of people gloss over or straight up don't even realize is that there are a lot of CITIZENS who are in similar situations. Abandoned children are just a big problem in general and that's why you have foster abuse, runaways, and orphanages where kids just age out of the system.

I get it's terrible, but I think it's naive for anyone to think that people walking over the border are going to be treated better than the people who were born here. It's not JUST immigrants that need significant reforms; it's across the board when it comes to orphaned/unaccompanied minors.

This.

Also that turn over time is insanely fast. I hope it gets even shorter, but for services like that 42 days (14 of which seems to be them in mandatory quarantine, so couldn't get shorter than 14) is lightning speed. Especially considering the number who are in need.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
A not terribly surprising turn of events, this is always how American systems try to handle social problems like this, just monitor and guard them in makeshift prisons. Or uh, facilities.

Yes, we get it, you're so radical, I'm sure you didn't vote for anyone in the election because you know politicians are capable of delivering change in weeks but refuse not to out of ideological sellout, thus confirming your certainty that the only reason why everything good and just hasn't happened already is willful malice.

Funniest strawman in this thread by far.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sorry, and I am not at all suggesting that what's happening now at the border is the perfect or only solution, but this program does not at all address the situation at the border that's being discussed in this thread.

This program is for families seeking asylum in the US. It's a program that technically no longer exists, and according to this article it served no more than 1,600 people at one time. That does not address the thousands of underage kids with no known legal guardian arriving at the border in the middle of a pandemic. The law is different when dealing with unaccompanied minors, and rightfully so. For starters, the first thing you have to do in a situation involving unaccompanied minors, before you even get into something like immigration hearings, is find their families.

And again, not saying that more can't be done at the border, or that people should just be "OK" with this. But it feels like people are rushing to solutions that do not account for the long-term safety and well-being of these kids. And we don't have to guess at this; we have our own shitty foster system as a sterling example.
This all seems geared towards children accompanied by adults...

It's not like we eliminate detention camps for everyone else except unaccompanied minors. There's different programs to handle all of this.

The Florida Homestead detention center was closed more than a year ago. What to do with all the kids?
www.cbsnews.com

All unaccompanied children removed from Homestead migrant detention facility

Homestead was the nation's largest facility for unaccompanied migrant children
All unaccompanied children have been removed from the Homestead migrant detention facility in Homestead, Florida, the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) confirmed on Saturday. Homestead, which has been criticized by politicians for its treatment of unaccompanied minors, was the nation's largest facility for migrant children, housing 14,300 unaccompanied minors since March 2018.

"Today we are announcing that all UAC sheltered in the Homestead facility have either been reunified with an appropriate sponsor or transferred to a state-licensed facility within the ORR [Office of Refugee Resettlement] network of care providers as of August 3, 2019," HHS said in a statement.
www.afsc.org

What it means that we shut down Homestead detention center

Last spring, we set an ambitious goal: to shut down the largest migrant detention center for youth in the U.S. in time for the children to attend school in the fall.
HHS has said that most of the children formerly held there were united with their sponsors and families, while some were transferred to smaller, state-licensed facilities.

Because Homestead was an "emergency influx center," it was allowed to circumvent federal agreements that regulate the length of time and conditions under which the U.S. can detain children. State-licensed facilities, on the other hand, are required to follow federal agreements on child detention, including meeting acceptable standards of care and providing education and mental health services.

While our call remains for all children to be united with family members or sponsors, seeing children moved from a private prison-operated facility with little to no accountability to state-licensed facilities with greater oversight is a critical short-term step.

It's simple for me and others: don't reopen the kiddy "influx" prison bullshit.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really in awe of this thread. People have really outsourced their morality to their respective parties

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
How could this happen in the authoritarian leaning center-right United States of America!?

These camps have got to go. There is plenty of room in this country to build some kind of humane facility to hold people in while being processed. For the mightiest nation in the history of the world to be putting children in camps is embarrassing.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This sounds like chaos. Also, you assume "trailers in the middle of nowhere" are not decent. Also, those minors do go to school in those facilities.
Yeah schools are not open right now and the short turn around time is very hard to place them in a community school in the nearest city. If this were months like in Sweden where they have open classrooms I could see it.

The company that ran the food and shelter program should be under intense scrutiny, but I prefer they didn't use them in any way.
There are bars on the windows. How are they not cages?
damn yo guess you ain't been around baltimore lol

Last edited:

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
The detention centers hold minors crossing the border, for a month max, so authorities can find their families or find a suitable sponsor.

Trump's admin prosecuted the parents of immigrating families, over-flooding these centers with separated, resulting in horrible conditions.

Please do not equate the two policies, one is meant to ensure the safety of children and the other is meant to punish immigration.

I'm not saying this solution is ideal, but our system needs work and more resources. There's very limited options without legislation.

THANK YOU!

People conflating this with Trump's family separation policy is driving me crazy, and while the article makes the distinction clear, whoever wrote that salacious headline certainly isn't helping. Neither is the OP who quoted none of the context.

The only realistic alternative to this is deportation or refusing entry to unaccompanied minors. Ideally these cases would be processed more quickly and no one would stay in these camps for long but immigration agents can't be hired and trained overnight.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I see you have no idea about foster care...

neither situation is good, but trying to gotcha someone with bringing up what white English speaking foster kids have to live through as some bastion of goodness is ignorant to how horrible the handling of children in foster system is.

Yeah, once you have a child picked up by the government with no known family to claim them, whether that child is a foreign migrant or a natural-born US citizen, you're already in a bad situation regardless. You don't really have a good option at that point. When you have enough of those kids showing up that you need specific accommodations for it, you're going to have to do some less than ideal stuff.

I do think that given the politics of this coming out of the Trump admin, more should've been done to make this look less like the Trump policy, even if there's no way to avoid the ultimate fact that you're making a holding facility for children. You have to know people are primed to see border detention facilities as negatively as possible right now.

In the long run you need an immigration policy and a refugee policy that's generous enough that people aren't trying to sneak in through long, potentially deadly treks, and a foreign policy that views boosting Mexican and Central American standards of living as a core US interest so that you don't have as many of these kids showing up alone like this.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
really? are those the only alternatives? lots of hotels have vacancies now during the pandemic. ypu can house people there
That would require buying/leasing out entire facilities and converting them to house all of the extra services needed.

Many hotels already primed for that are being used as Covid facilities.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So they outsourced it to a company that has a history of abuse? Interesting but not surprising.

Feeling sorry for those kids. Barely set foot in the US and they're already getting fucked over by American capitalism.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
really? are those the only alternatives? lots of hotels have vacancies now during the pandemic. ypu can house people there

no, they cant

www.cnn.com

Judge blocks Trump administration from detaining migrant children in hotels | CNN Politics

US Distirct Judge Dolly M. Gee issued an order Friday blocking the US government from detaining migrant children in hotels, a practice that's been a key part of a secretive new system that immigration advocates had warned was putting kids in danger.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Short of kicking the kids out onto the streets and saying good luck finding your family the Shelter is the only realistic option. Is a particular company in charge a problem? That should be looked at and dealt with. However there is no way we are just going to kick unaccompanied children on the street. Renting out Hotel chains is also not a realistic thing and courts have opposed such measures in the past as unsafe.

There are all sorts of safety issues that need to be addressed for the good of the child which means taking the time to vet so called family etc. The last thing we want to be doing is turning over children to "family" that is nothing more than sex traffickers etc. The features of this facility are certainly leagues above the Concrete floors and steel cages with aluminum blankets Trump was doing.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017

These are children, and the government has a legal and moral responsibility to see that they are taken care of properly. Is a 12 year old responsible enough to take care of themselves in a hotel in a foreign country? We'll have to monitor them to make sure they don't accidentally or intentionally hurt themselves, right? We'll have to bring them food, right? We have to have doctors on staff to see to their health, right? We can't let them leave until we've verified they're going to an actual family member under safe circumstances, or this would be the easiest loophole possible for child traffickers to sneak kids into the country, right? That means security guards, fences, etc... And now the hotel is a government camp. There's really just no moral or legal way around this. The only thing we can realistically do is try to speed up processing times.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA

Here is a picture of the trailers in question. There are literally bars on the windows. How is that not a cage? Further, there is a lot of historical revisionism in this thread about where the outrage was when Trump did it. Yes, people were mad at the family separation policy, they were also equally as horrified at the material conditions these kids were being forced into by ICE. That's why they were referred to as kids in cages.

never mind, those are legal buildings.

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't they just find some closed school and setup there? Why does it always have to be these fucking prison camps?

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
They're all labeled "Legal Building", which suggests they're temporary offices for meeting with legal help.

So that's not evidence of anything dubious.
Huh? What's your source on that?

Also hey liberals, even if this is a temporary emergency thing that had to be thrown up at a spur of the moment, how about being a little more empathic? Like "I know it doesn't look great, but this isn't permanent" or "It sucks, but it's the best they could do at the moment. They need to get them into better facilities ASAP" or something along those lines. A dismissive and haughty "It's better than Trump" just makes you all look like evil assholes.

Just food for thought.

Last edited:

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

Also hey liberals, even if this is a temporary emergency thing that had to be thrown up at a spur of the moment, how about being a little more empathic? Like "I know it doesn't look great, but this isn't permanent" or something along those lines. A dismissive and haughty "It's better than Trump" just makes you all look like evil assholes.
Uh, the picture says Legal Bldg on the side of every building. It's literally the offices for the legal department so they can operate socially distanced.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

Also hey liberals, even if this is a temporary emergency thing that had to be thrown up at a spur of the moment, how about being a little more empathic? Like "I know it doesn't look great, but this isn't permanent" or "It sucks, but it's the best they could do at the moment. They need to get them into better facilities ASAP" or something along those lines. A dismissive and haughty "It's better than Trump" just makes you all look like evil assholes.
They each say LEGAL BUILDING.

And to be fair, there's nearly 7 pages here, many have said just that.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Just food for thought.
The source is the picture YOU posted.

Can't they just find some closed school and setup there? Why does it always have to be these fucking prison camps?

What school can handle thousands of children, eating, sleeping, legal visits with immigration lawyers etc. and also ensure social distancing. According to the story, the only reason this site needed to be opened again was the others are at full capacity due to covid cutting occupancy in half.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
OK great they're legal buildings, my bad.

Still looks like a concentration camp in there and they need to do better than that.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
European hot take coming in, beware...

While this solution is definitely not ideal, it seems like Trumps' absolute dedication to twist and contort any kind of federally-run agency/institution/procedure into the absolute worst and most cruel version of itself has led to people understandably compeltely rejecting anything that resembles what Trump has done even on a surface level.
Imo (!), this is suboptimal insofar as a lot of this stuff most likely has existed before Trump, just not as blatantly cruel, and it's not like a new admin can just go in and change everything within a few weeks on a fundamental level and without legislation - especially on something as complex and massive as immigration policy.
It's absolutely necessary to keep pressure up on the Biden-admin to do better (regarding basically everything...) but if people really loose trust in Biden/the dems as soon as something even as much as resembles Trumps policies or they don't change complex and structurally entangled systems overnight, Trump was successful in eroding trust in democracy completely.

Having said that, if there is not any meaningful change coming to the system within a reasonable timeframe, there is no defense anymore.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
What happens to a white English-speaking American child who has been orphaned? Are they sent to a remote facility with fences and bars on the windows patrolled by armed guards and never allowed to leave the compound?

How willing are you to double down on this line of argument that says there is literally no better option than incarceration?
No. We don't put white orphans in prisons. We'll sort out citizen orphan issues sometime down the line assuming the dems never lose an election again and it doesn't cost too much.

The migrant orphans are just fucked. We're trying all kinds of things out tho like putting kids in camps where they're abused and soon, putting kids in camps with abusers. Nothings really working very well so far but we'll get there.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017

Just food for thought.
There are pictures in the article showing the actual facility areas are big tents not the trailers.

Oct 25, 2017
Ya know these threads would be a lot more bearable and readable if people didn't try to come in with the hottest takes without doing a bit of research.

No discussion can be had in these threads when it just devolves into drive posts and people attacking each other.

Mods gotta get these threads sorted out

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Completely agree with suggesting some sort of mod action with regard to ultra hot takes. Discussion revolving this sort of thing is at a horrendously base level. The first page, especially, is an embarrassment.

That said, further comforts and accommodations should still be worked on, but these are difficult situations with room for nuance.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
These are children, and the government has a legal and moral responsibility to see that they are taken care of properly. Is a 12 year old responsible enough to take care of themselves in a hotel in a foreign country? We'll have to monitor them to make sure they don't accidentally or intentionally hurt themselves, right? We'll have to bring them food, right? We have to have doctors on staff to see to their health, right? We can't let them leave until we've verified they're going to an actual family member under safe circumstances, or this would be the easiest loophole possible for child traffickers to sneak kids into the country, right? That means security guards, fences, etc... And now the hotel is a government camp. There's really just no moral or legal way around this. The only thing we can realistically do is try to speed up processing times.

Good post.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Completely agree with suggesting some sort of mod action with regard to ultra hot takes. Discussion revolving this sort of thing is at a horrendously base level. The first page, especially, is an embarrassment.

That said, further comforts and accommodations should still be worked on, but these are difficult situations with room for nuance.
I'm not even going to say that you're wrong about this, but I just find it fascinating that this call for nuance only comes after the regime change.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm not American but don't yous have a fptp winner takes all voting system? So what would have been the alternative? Don't vote and have a "After Hitler, our turn" thing?
It's a matter of perspective: People want to vote Democrats as the lesser of two evils, that makes logical sense. But if you're going to then go to bat for the atrocities they commit, particularly those you just condemned the other side for, it's just team sports and not about actual progress.