• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Longer coverage in the Washington Post article itself. Extremely sad to read:

Government officials say the camp is needed because facilities for migrant children have had to cut capacity by nearly half because of the coronavirus pandemic. At the same time, the number of unaccompanied children crossing the border has been inching up, with January reporting the highest total — more than 5,700 apprehensions — for that month in recent years.

But immigration lawyers and advocates question why the Biden administration would choose to reopen a Trump-era facility that was the source of protests and controversy. From the "tent city" in Tornillo, Tex., to a sprawling for-profit facility in Homestead, Fla., emergency shelters have been criticized by advocates for immigrants, lawyers and human rights activists over their conditions, cost and lack of transparency in their operations.

"It's unnecessary, it's costly, and it goes absolutely against everything [President] Biden promised he was going to do," said Linda Brandmiller, a San Antonio-based immigration lawyer who represents unaccompanied minors. "It's a step backward, is what it is. It's a huge step backward."

During the campaign, Biden pledged to undo former president Donald Trump's hard-line immigration policies. In his first month in office, Biden signed several executive orders reversing many of those policies. Last week, he and House Democrats introduced a plan that would provide a path to citizenship for 11 million undocumented immigrants. The administration also reversed some of Trump's expulsion practices by accepting unaccompanied children into the country, a change that also is contributing to an increase of minors in government facilities, officials said.

"When I read they were opening again, I cried," said Rosey Abuabara, a San Antonio community activist who was arrested for protesting outside the Carrizo camp in 2019. "I consoled myself with the fact that it was considered the Cadillac of [migrant child] centers, but I don't have any hope that Biden is going to make it better."

She said despite what she's heard about the camp's amenities, the immense cost and scale of the Office of Refugee Resettlement operations points to a government program that profits from holding migrant children, who are shepherded in unmarked vans to remote areas with what she describes as little oversight.

Brandmiller, the lawyer, said people should take note of how these emergency shelters are often located in far-flung locations away from public view.

"This is done deliberately to shelve these children in places that are not only not readily accessible, but not accessible at all to anyone who cares about the quality of life of these kids, and whether or not they comply with the federal law," she said, referring to the Flores Settlement Agreement, which recommends children not stay in unlicensed facilities for longer than 20 days. [...]

But Brandmiller is worried this is the latest government tactic to deter immigrants from seeking refuge in the United States. She said the Biden administration should not be reviving old systems but looking for new solutions.

"If they were actually addressing the issues that are endemic in a system that has been established for many years and is flawed, if they were addressing the inadequacies instead of creating a parallel jail for kids, I would have more hope," she said.

The wording "migrant facility for children" leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
What the fuck biden.

Seriously, why not come up with an actual solution instead of tormenting kids.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In before "It's only been a month, calm down"

Shit's just depressing

imrs.php

OP
OP
Samiya

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
There was a report last week about the border industry's donations to Trump and Biden's presidential campaigns.

www.tni.org

Biden's Border | Transnational Institute

This briefing profiles the leading US border security contractors, their related financial campaign contributions during the 2020 elections, and how they have shaped a bipartisan approach in favor of border militarization for more than three decades. It suggests that a real change in border and...

Here are the report's findings:
  • Early into his presidency, Joe Biden has already indicated through 10 executive orders that he wants to end the brutality associated with Trump's border and immigration policies. However undoing all the harmful dimensions of the US border regime will require substantial structural change and an end to the close ties between the Democrats and the border industry.
  • The border security and immigration detention industry has boomed in the last decades thanks to constant increases in government spending by both parties—Democrats and Republicans. Between 2008 and 2020, CBP and ICE issued 105,997 contracts worth $55.1 billion to private corporations.The industry is now deeply embedded in US government bodies and decision-making, with close financial ties to strategic politicians.
  • 13 companies play a pivotal role in the US border industry: CoreCivic, Deloitte, Elbit Systems, GEO Group, General Atomics, General Dynamics, G4S, IBM, Leidos, Lockheed Martin, L3Harris, Northrop Grumman, and Palantir. Some of the firms also provide other services and products to the US government, but border and detention contracts have been a consistently growing part of all of their portfolios.
  • These top border contractors through individual donations and their Political Action Committees (PACs) gave more than $40 million during the 2020 electoral cycle to the two parties ($40,333,427). Democrats overall received more contributions from the big border contractors than the Republicans (55 percent versus 45 percent). This is a swing back to the Democrats, as over the last 10 years contributions from 11 of the 13 companies have favored Republicans. It suggests an intention by the border industry to hedge their political bets and ensure that border security policies are not rolled back to the detriment of future profits.
  • The 13 border security companies' executives and top employees contributed three times more to Joe Biden ($5,364,994) than to Donald Trump ($1,730,435).
  • A few border security companies show preferences towards one political party. Detention-related companies, in particular CoreCivic, G4S and GEO Group, strongly favor Republicans along with military contractors Elbit Systems and General Atomics, while auditing and IT companies Deloitte, IBM and Palantir overwhelmingly favor the Democrats.
  • The 13 companies have contributed $10 million ($9,674,911) in the 2020 electoral cycle to members of strategic legislative committees that design and fund border security policies: the House and Senate Appropriations Committees and the House Homeland Security Committee. The biggest contributors are Deloitte, General Dynamics, L3Harris, Leidos, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman, and nearly all donate substantially to both parties, with a preference for Republican candidates. Democrat Senator Jack Reed ($426,413), Republican Congresswoman Kay Granger ($442,406) and Republican Senator Richard Shelby ($430,150) all received more than $400,000 in 2020.
  • Biden is opposed to the wall-building of Trump, but has along with many Democrats voiced public support for a more hidden 'virtual wall' and 'smart borders', deploying surveillance technologies that will be both more lucrative for the industry and more hidden in terms of the abuses they perpetrate.
  • Department of Homeland Security Secretary, Alejandro Mayorkas developed and implemented DACA under Obama's administration, but also as a lawyer with the firm WilmerHale between 2018 and 2020 earned $3.3 million representing companies including border contractors Northrop Grumman and Leidos.
  • Over the last 40 years, Biden has a mixed voting record on border policy, showing some support for immigrant rights on several occasions but also approving legislation (the 1996 Illegal Immigration and Immigration Reform Act) that enabled the mass deportations under Obama, and the 2006 Secure Fence Act, which extended the wall long before Trump's election.
  • The Democrat Party as a whole also has a mixed record. Under President Bill Clinton, the Democrats approved the 1994 Prevention through Deterrence national border strategy and implemented the 1996 Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigration Responsibility Act that dramatically increased the pace of border militarization as well as deportations. Later Obama became the first president to deport nearly 3 million people during his eight-year term.
  • Nearly 8,000 bodies have been recovered in the U.S.–Mexico borderlands between 1998 and 2019 as a result of policies by both parties. The organization No More Deaths has estimated that three to ten times as many people may have died or disappeared since today's border-enforcement strategy was implemented. The border industrial complex's profits are based on border and immmigration policies that have deadly consequences.

Link to their tweet: https://twitter.com/TNInstitute/status/1362021493924900870

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Are these children that are being forcefully separated or are they unaccompanied minors that have been picked up by border patrol?

And what should be done to 1) quarantine them, and 2) protect them?

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This sucks but what other options are there in the immediate future? If the numbers are accurate does there exist a way to do this better without risking the lives of others who would fall through the cracks? It's hard to tell from the article whether this is a case of shitty policy or trying to solve a particularly difficult problem with dated, ineffective tools.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
There was a report last week about the border industry's donations to Trump and Biden's presidential campaigns.

www.tni.org

Biden's Border | Transnational Institute

This briefing profiles the leading US border security contractors, their related financial campaign contributions during the 2020 elections, and how they have shaped a bipartisan approach in favor of border militarization for more than three decades. It suggests that a real change in border and...

Here are the report's findings:

Link to their tweet: https://twitter.com/TNInstitute/status/1362021493924900870

The border industry is a depressing thought. That there will be lobbyists for more detentions not even for hateful reasons which is bad enough, just pure greed. Hate will be supported by cries for jobs. Shut it the fuck down, Biden.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
User Banned (5 Days): Inappropriate Commentary, Drive-By Trolling
Don't worry everyone, I'm sure that the Biden administration will swiftly act on this and institute a policy of asking every child prisoner their pronouns.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This sucks but what other options are there in the immediate future? If the numbers are accurate does there exist a way to do this better without risking the lives of others who would fall through the cracks? It's hard to tell from the article whether this is a case of shitty policy or trying to solve a particularly difficult problem with dated, ineffective tools.
Feels like the latter to me.

These are unaccompanied children and the article mentions that most are looking to reunite with their sponsors or somebody. Honestly what else are we to do with unaccompanied kids at this time? These aren't kids being forcefully separated from their parents and put into a kid only facility miles away..

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It should never, ever be for profit, but if they are getting picked up with no parent and put in a safe facility… what better answer is there? Assuming the capacity is the true reason for a new facility.

That sign was posted as depressing but it feels like an apology for the sad truth and a promise to do better.

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Nobody in that article, including the activists, offers an alternative, though. What would that look like? Immediately allowing the children to roam the U.S. unaccompanied? Immediately having any stateside family pick up the kids (how would you even find/verify)? Sending them back to Mexico?

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely not sure what options exist besides providing nicer accommodations.

Do you just cut a bunch of unaccompanied minors loose and hope they don't end up homeless or dead?

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Being that its for a unaccompanied minors this facility might be needed. Let's hope its well managed and care for these kids is a top priority. I'm not really sure what else could be done with these kids when they first cross the border.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that is was the Obama/Biden administration that started putting kids in cages.

Oct 27, 2017
If these are unaccompanied minors, don't you need to have some temporary facility for them until a sponsor is arranged? Like I get that it's absolutely miserable to be in any prison like facility but they're minors. You can't just tell them to find a job to sustain themselves until their court date.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody in that article, including the activists, offers an alternative, though. What would that look like? Immediately allowing the children to roam the U.S. unaccompanied? Immediately having any stateside family pick up the kids (how would you even find/verify)? Sending them back to Mexico?
Yeah there is not an easy solution to this.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
What is the suggested alternative from politicians who have been openly against this?

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
If these are unaccompanied minors, don't you need to have some temporary facility for them until a sponsor is arranged? Like I get that it's absolutely miserable to be in any prison like facility but they're minors. You can't just tell them to find a job to sustain themselves until their court date.
They are someone else's kids. You can't just give them to someone else.

That is going to be a lot of work to find their parents or prove that they have no family. That should be established first before you put them in a foster home.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
So what is the alternative solution? Just set them free inside the US? Send them back?

There isn't. In fact, federal law mandates that this happen to protect children. I expected a better researched article from the WaPo as it doesn't adequately explain the difference in this facility.

The only noted difference mentioned in the article is that its not subject to state licensing requirements as other child migrant centers and is run by a non-profit contractor.

"Carrizo Springs is run by the nonprofit BCFS Health and Human Services, a government contractor for the Office of Refugee Resettlement, the agency within HHS that focuses on unaccompanied children."

However, the law requires children not be detained in ICE centers meant for adult detention. Thus, they are transferred to ORR temporarily as attempts are made to contact their sponsor in the US. The average stay of a minor, according to the article, is 42 days.

Oct 27, 2017
They are someone else's kids. You can't just give them to someone else.

That is going to be a lot of work to find their parents or prove that they have no family. That should be established first before you put them in a foster home.
Yeah I know that, but presumably there's a period of time where the family member who is volunteering to sponsor them needs to be vetted.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean it's not the same as keeping kids from their parents like prisoners, it's protecting unaccompanied minors until a solution is found on how to deal with them with the alternative leaving them to fend for themselves.

I don't understand the outrage other than from people acting like Biden is "just as bad"

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
embarrassing to see people going "well nothing else could be done" just because your guy is in charge. this was an outrage under trump and it is an outrage now. demand better from your leaders.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
It seems like having facilities for this general purpose is sadly a necessity. It's a shame how it's being carried out, though. Transparency/accountability should be paramount.

Zaeia

Jan 3, 2018
Unaccompanied Minors.

According to the sign, they are being given the same treatment as unaccompanied minors of U.S. citizenship outlined by congressional directives and applied under HUD Homelessness definition III. We would need transparency to confirm the effective practices of the directive, but if they are following what I just stated above, these youth (24 and under) are being given the same benefits as unaccompanied minors who have U.S. citizenship.

Last edited:

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
embarrassing to see people going "well nothing else could be done" just because your guy is in charge. this was an outrage under trump and it is an outrage now. demand better from your leaders.
I mean what does better look like? The article makes it sound like the living conditions are trailers, which isn't great but is also not literally "on the floor behind wire fences". Like it sounds like they have climate control, food, and supervision. Where do you put these kids who arrive alone?

I'm not being glib, what does a better system look like right now?

Finalrush

Dec 7, 2017
Sounds like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what people were outraged about. The Trump admin began separating kids from their parents to put them in these facilities. That policy has stopped -- however, we still need to house migrant children who arrive without parents.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
There isn't. In fact, federal law mandates that this happen to protect children. I expected a better researched article from the WaPo as it doesn't adequately explain the difference in this facility.
Did you? Because I sure didn't expect a better researched article from the WaPo.
And it appears to be exhibiting the precise public reaction that was intended by publishing it.

Ripcord

Oct 30, 2017
It's getting me too. As though it's Resetera's job to come up with alternatives and then find ways to implement them. Lol. Era's stumped! Death camps for the lot of ya.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Looks like people have already pointed out this is to help unaccompanied youth. You can't just boot them out the door and say "good luck".

Context matters. 🙄

Perhaps some kind of "school" like setting would work. There has to be a way to care for kids/young teens that come into the US.

The conditions and daily activities of these places needs to be fully transparent and public.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know that, but presumably there's a period of time where the family member who is volunteering to sponsor them needs to be vetted.
I am sure there can be a better solution to this. But putting them with sponsor families leads to its own issues. Any abuse that happens thereafter is going to come back on Biden as well. Not an excuse not to do anything but this is a really difficult situation.

Trump wanted to hurt and punish undocumented people coming across the border. He was an open bigot and even against legal immigration if it was not from a white country. There is no comparison between the two.

I am all for criticizing Biden though. He doesn't get a free pass even though I would agree that this is an incredibly difficult situation to deal with.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
It's getting me too. As though it's Resetera's job to come up with alternatives and then find ways to implement them. Lol. Era's stumped! Death camps for the lot of ya.
Im asking what the proposed alternative is by others in charge who oppose these detention centers. What methods are being ignored by Biden's team in favor of this one?

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
"Cadillac of [migrant child] centers" is an incredibly depressing phrase

I want to hear what the attorneys who represent the youths have to say about this.
I would also be interested to hear from the attorneys. If they believe these conditions are unacceptable, I'll believe it too. They're a lot closer to these kids

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
my country has orders of magnitude more unaccompanied children refugees per capita than usa. yet we still don't place them in prisons in the middle of nowhere.

as many as possible are sent to live with families. others live in centers for children, but not in the middle of nowhere, but in a community where they go to the same schools as native children. basically, the way it works is that all children get assigned to a municipality, and then each municipality has a responsibility to provide all the needs according to the UN declaration of children's rights, including housing and schooling. all unaccompanied migrant children have the same right to schooling here as native kids do. they are not put in prison facilities. it's not all that hard not to put children in prisons

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Space

Isn't the difference that families aren't being separated and these are unaccompanied minors?

Realistically what do want done differently? Should these kids go into the US foster care system?

All anyone offers anymore is anger. Good job, you're angry. You're fixing nothing.