• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
imrs.php

Joe Biden became a fast friend of the LGBTQ community as vice president in 2012 by stating his support for same-sex marriage in a television interview even before his boss, President Barack Obama, did.

That same year, outside an Obama-Biden campaign office in Florida, it was Biden's unexpected support for the transgender community that elevated his status from an LGBTQ ally to a champion. When the mother of a Miss Trans New England pageant winner asked Biden if he would help transgender people, she later told reporters, Biden whispered that it was the "civil rights issue of our time."

Since then, Biden's views on the LGBTQ community have become clearer and louder.

When he left the vice presidency, Biden partnered with other advocates to start the As You Are campaign to advocate for families' acceptance of their transgender children, which "dramatically improves their child's self-esteem and decreases the likelihood they will experience depression or suicidal ideation," the Biden Foundation was cited as saying in a 2019 announcement.

Now advocates say the 78-year-old will be the nation's most pro-LGBTQ president ever. He and Vice President-elect Kamala D. Harris have promised an ambitious slate of actions that would go beyond reversing what LGBTQ advocates have called President Trump's "discrimination administration."

The Trump Accountability Project, by the advocacy group GLAAD, has recorded more than 180 anti-LGBTQ statements and actions by the Trump administration and those in the president's circle since January 2017, including a proposal that would allow homeless shelters to house transgender people according to their sex assigned at birth rather than their gender identity.

The Biden family developed a close relationship with McBride after Beau Biden died of brain cancer in 2015. McBride's husband, Andy Cray, had died of cancer the year before.
"The president-elect has always been far out ahead on transgender issues. And I think all of us benefit from knowing people who are trans and organic agents of change in daily life," said McBride, who was elected in Delaware in November as the first openly transgender state senator in the country. "But I know Joe Biden also wants to honor and carry forward his son's work and legacy on this issue."

Joe Biden wrote the foreword for McBride's book "Tomorrow Will Be Different: Love, Loss and the Fight for Trans Equality."
In it, he calls transgender equality "the civil rights issue of our time."

More in the article:

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Some hope for the future...

(Also screw anyone that thought Biden Admin would be no better than a Trump one)

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Some hope for the future...

(Also screw anyone that thought Biden Admin would be no better than a Trump one)

This is something that isn't really talked about a lot that I'm excited about from the new administration. Biden's surprisingly educated in LGBT and especially trans issues for someone of his age.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It helps that the younger, more progressive end of the party will be constantly holding his feet to the fire publicly and privately regarding LGBTQ+ issues.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Good. LGBT+ people deserve rights damn it, and after Trump moved thinks back a lot, it's good that we have someone now that will take LGBT issues seriously. Biden is someone incredibly well versed in LGBT issues from what I can tell (definitely more so than I am) which is great

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Makes sense, he was the one that pushed Obama to legalize same sex marriage.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
Nothing against you OP but headlines like this bug me; saying Biden would be the most pro-LGBT president in history is the lowest bar in the universe to clear. Even Obama started his presidency not being pro-gay marriage. None of our presidents have been all that good on LGBT equality so I would sure hope Biden is the best of them.

That being said - it's definitely good that he seems to have firm support of the trans community and he's not wishy-washy about it.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Nothing against you OP but headlines like this bug me; saying Biden would be the most pro-LGBT president in history is the lowest bar in the universe to clear. Even Obama started his presidency not being pro-gay marriage. None of our presidents have been all that good on LGBT equality so I would sure hope Biden is the best of them.

That being said - it's definitely good that he seems to have firm support of the trans community and he's not wishy-washy about it.

Yeah, I see what you mean by that. The headline doesn't do the article justice, to be honest.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Not downplaying the man yet, but talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words ever will. It is awesome that he has discussed this, but make it happen.

I will be happy when action is taken and we can see the effect and outcomes from this.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I am optimistic. I think the Biden administration will pleasantly surprise some that were skeptical, especially those worried about Harris.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
As a gay man, i fully support and believe in Bidens ability to be a Pro-LGBTQ+ president. Extremely Optimistic.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It helps that the younger, more progressive end of the party will be constantly holding his feet to the fire publicly and privately regarding LGBTQ+ issues.

This feels like it kind of undersells Biden in this aspect imo. Every time it gets brought up with him, I get the impression that this is something that he truly cares about personally.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
That's really awesome that Biden wants to restore and improve on transgender rights. According to the article, he even said that allowing transgender people back into the military is going to be something he'll enact on day 1 of his presidency. It's really amazing that we will have a president who is prioritizing LGBTQ+ people since it's not really something past presidents have done before.

Nov 27, 2020
United States
Makes sense, he was the one that pushed Obama to legalize same sex marriage.
...did obama legalize it? wasn't it a supreme court ruling?
also, I'd like to echo that actions will speak louder than words here. and I'd like to point out that he (edit: Biden) has historically been against LGBTQ rights, like when he voted for the Defense of Marriage act. it was a very low-risk move for him to start supporting LGBTQ rights in 2012, at which point the public, and particularly the democratic party's base, were increasingly supportive of it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
also, I'd like to echo that actions will speak louder than words here. and I'd like to point out that he has historically been against LGBTQ rights, like when he voted for the Defense of Marriage act. it was a very low-risk move for him to start supporting LGBTQ rights in 2012, at which point the public, and particularly the democratic party's base, were increasingly supportive of it.

I mean, he's moved way to the left on LGBT rights in recent years. You're right about that, but the article in the OP goes over Biden personally advocating for trans rights after he was Obama's VP. Sarah McBride, the first trans state senator in the country, said the same.

"Did Joe Biden evolve on the issue of marriage like most of the rest of the country?' said Sarah McBride, a longtime transgender activist who grew up in Delaware and was close to Mr. Biden's late son, Beau Biden. "Yes. Frankly, we should want leaders with big minds and open hearts who are willing to evolve and, in the case of Joe Biden, bring the country along."

www.nytimes.com

Behind Joe Biden’s Evolution on L.G.B.T.Q. Rights (Published 2020)

Mr. Biden’s support for same-sex marriage in 2012 was a reversal for him and a watershed moment in his shift — and the nation’s — on L.G.B.T.Q. issues.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I keep saying and will keep saying and fuck everyone trying to purity test when actual lives are in danger, but if he puts his money where his mouth is maybe we will get some relief.

Unlike a lot of groups that were hurt by masks off and people being emboldened, the trans community actually lost rights due to legislation setting us back legally with lawmakers needing to do something, not to play the oppression olympics but a lot of groups get some relief just by clearing the WH of Nazis, whereas we lost actual rights that even with a switch makes us lesser and not equal unless new legislation is passed, so I will be watching especially since the medical stuff and legalized discrimination actually affects my day to day life, and instead of getting all cynical and purity testingI will follow and support and I plan on getting involved and volunteering so if they do drag their feet hopefully we can light a fire under them.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
also, I'd like to echo that actions will speak louder than words here. and I'd like to point out that he has historically been against LGBTQ rights, like when he voted for the Defense of Marriage act. it was a very low-risk move for him to start supporting LGBTQ rights in 2012, at which point the public, and particularly the democratic party's base, were increasingly supportive of it.
Obama was actually originally for gay marriage when he was a State Senator.

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is something that isn't really talked about a lot that I'm excited about from the new administration. Biden's surprisingly educated in LGBT and especially trans issues for someone of his age.

I think it says a lot that he started the As You Are campaign after he was VP, when he wasn't even planning on running for office again.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
my bad, I was talking about Biden in the second paragraph. will edit
In Biden's case there is testimony from his LGBT+ staffers that he was pro-gay marriage pre-2008 in private. I mean, not particularly brave of him, but his support for it didn't come from nowhere, but him going public was indeed a political calculation.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
No talk about self id laws ?

not sure if i take that as true .. unless you mean "in history of the usa" =P

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Usually when I argued that Biden would be the most progressive president in history, my left friends sneered and laughed. And yes, he doesn't hold a candle to Bernie or Warren. But like...he *absolutely* will be, even if only for political expediency.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
Judge leaders on how they help the marginalized. This is a good start to the Biden Era n

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
So gay couples won't be discriminated against anymore when they go to adopt? Because that would be nice

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
This will be the first Democratic administration that doesn't need to treat LGBT+ issues like walking on eggshells (Obama's explicit support for it came extremely late into his 2nd term and only really extended to same-sex marriage).

I'm looking forward to seeing what can be done here to preserve the civil rights of LGBT+ people.