• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I found this to be a reasonably entertaining account of someone trying BOTW knowing basically nothing about modern games going in. And by modern I mean, 3D games.

The reality: My daughter lost interest within, oh, about five minutes of our hero being reborn in the opening scene. There was no immediate payoff, no power moons to collect, no fun sidegames to play. Just a lot of … walking through a field?

Upon return of the doodad, the old man informed me that I had to complete like three other quests before getting his magic hang glider. Where these quests were located in an area the apparent size of New Jersey was left unsaid, because the old man is a [multiple deleted curse words] and I hate him.

I encourage you to read the whole thing, it will only take a few mins.

(I'd be interested in reading a follow-up where the poor guy discovers this massive starting area is just a tiny sliver of the game's landmass.)

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It'll probably take something a bit more traditionally engaging to keep a young'uns attention. A 3D Mario game seems more like a proper fit.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Super Mario Odyssey is the better game so can't really blame him...

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Zelda is more hardcore than it looks lol, those first few hours must be brutal for someone not experienced.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would keep reading. Nice piece

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the story continues. As much as he's saying he doesn't like the game he seems to be enjoying himself.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is hilarious.

After reviewing a few options, Emma suggested Luigi's Mansion 3, an idea I almost immediately shot down. Luigi is just dollar-store Mario, I reasoned, and if the game had been any good it would have been called Mario's Mansion 3.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This is the modern equivalent of trying to play Zelda 1 and having no idea what the fuck to do

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god
But considering the predictions being made about the length of our stay-home time, the situation called for something along the lines of the latter. After reviewing a few options, Emma suggested Luigi's Mansion 3, an idea I almost immediately shot down. Luigi is just dollar-store Mario, I reasoned, and if the game had been any good it would have been called Mario's Mansion 3.
(Plot twist: Reviews suggest that Luigi's Mansion 3 is actually pretty good, and it was named best family game at the Game Awards 2019. I did not read any of those reviews before making my decision because I'm an idiot dad-gamer, as will become painfully clear.)
this is savage.

This is the best mainstream piece on a game since the Untitled Goose Game review from the New Yorker.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the author continues to play, that was fun to read :v

Maybe he can play Xenoblade 2 next 🤣

Thanks for sharing OP