• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
9700b920a565ea8274fc9d73edb325e8.jpg

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about a lot of these. Washed up to me means an actor has to be dragged out of bed or a cell hungover as hell to the set. For better or worse a lot of the actors mentioned have carved out a niche that pays the bills and then some. Yeah it's absolutely dreck, but it's also a decent paycheck.

Tom Sizemore? Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Yeah those are washed up. JRM was arrested again recently IIRC.

I think we need to define "washed up."

To me, a "washed up" actor is someone who can no longer act (maybe they never really could) and can only get really bad parts or bit parts in B to C films. Nic Cage is not washed up nor is Bruce Willis. They willingly choose to do these lower tiered movies either to keep the money rolling in or for creative reasons. A washed up actor is someone like Paulie Shore, Taylor Kitsch, Sam Worthington, Tara Reid, Lindsay Lohan, Stephen Baldwin, Rob Schneider (and every other failed SNL to film cast member), or Katherine Heigl, also John Travolta.

Even some of these aren't completely without hope.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Man, what happened to this poor dude? He was so good in The Tudors but it was just all downhill from there.

IIRC alcoholism sadly. Rumor is he has a habit of picking fights in bars against people twice his size. Before he was declared an insurance liability he was spending more time in makeup (to hide the bruises) than acting.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, folks are posting Worthington or Heigl as washed up?

Worthington is working with one of the biggest directors out there currently. Heigl was just in Suits, and is in post production of another episodic drama for 2021. I'm not the biggest fan of either of them, but to compare either of those actors to someone like Tara Reid or Pauly Shore is wrong.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Here's a whole bunch of washed up actors (and a few dead ones) in a single trainwreck of a movie.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think Nic Cage is washed up. He acts in a lot of questionable shit, but he always has a gem or two every year.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, folks are posting Worthington or Heigl as washed up?

Worthington is working with one of the biggest directors out there currently. Heigl was just in Suits, and is in post production of another episodic drama for 2021. I'm not the biggest fan of either of them, but to compare either of those actors to someone like Tara Reid or Pauly Shore is wrong.

Worthington basically had to be in the Avatar sequel, but what has he been in besides that?

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The trend for them is to become political pundits and grifters.

See: James Woods, Scott Baio, Kevin Sorbo, Robert Davi

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about a lot of these. Washed up to me means an actor has to be dragged out of bed or a cell hungover as hell to the set. For better or worse a lot of the actors mentioned have carved out a niche that pays the bills and then some. Yeah it's absolutely dreck, but it's also a decent paycheck.

Tom Sizemore? Jonathan Rhys Meyers? Yeah those are washed up. JRM was arrested again recently IIRC.

Even some of these aren't completely without hope.
When people say an actor is washed-up they generally mean actors who were once superstars but have faded into irrelevancy, usually due to poor career moves, getting blacklisted, and/or living recklessly, as you mentioned. Basically if go from A-list to Sharknado, you are washed up.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I don't know if he fits but I stumbled upon (and enjoyed) Best of the Best mere minutes ago and wondered aloud where Eric Roberts went off to. I know he's not incapable of roles (he was in 2/3 "recent" Batman movies) but I can't imagine he's headlined anything noteworthy in forever.

Normanski 2.0

Nov 21, 2017
A lot of people are mentioning Kelsey Grammar but what is David Hyde Pierce or Jane Leeves upto nowadays? Kelsey was recently performing in the west end before the pandemic hit.

I don't think a lot of people are necessarily 'washed up', just doing work outside of the mainstream.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if he fits but I stumbled upon (and enjoyed) Best of the Best mere minutes ago and wondered aloud where Eric Roberts went off to. I know he's not incapable of roles (he was in 2/3 "recent" Batman movies) but I can't imagine he's headlined anything noteworthy in forever.
Eric Roberts will do literally anything if you meet his rate, and has been that way forever. He averages 25+ credits a year.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eric Roberts is in a ton of movies. Dude never stops working.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eric Roberts will do literally anything if you meet his rate, and has been that way forever. He averages 25+ credits a year.

Wow, he had 84 IMDB credits in 2020.
I'm guessing that a lot of those were like his top-billed performance in Bigfoot Vs D.B. Cooper, where he delivered a couple of lines of narration and that was it.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Sam Worthington was good in that Unibomber miniseries, watched on Netflix. Also, never was in to Frazier, but Grammer was great as Hank in the X-men movies imho.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Grammer for sure. From his previous roles he seems like an upper class, educated dude but he stars in some totally awful stuff.

Deleted member 83122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 15, 2020
After doing some research the rest of the internet had some interesting choices, but I was cracking up at this pic of Stephen Baldwin!
000VRV-Stephen-Baldwin-007.jpg

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah it feels like he's there for like 2 days on set. Sounds like a nice gig if you don't give a fuck.
I think that's pretty much exactly it. These low budget films can often scrap together 2-3 million for Bruce to come in for a couple of days. It's an easy pay day for him as he's never getting the big salaries again, and why would he bother when he can probably earn $10m a year for a couple of weeks work at most. Plus it makes the movie a lot more marketable in a lot of countries to have his face plastered across the poster/cover.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The trend for them is to become political pundits and grifters.

See: James Woods, Scott Baio, Kevin Sorbo, Robert Davi
Wait, what? Don't tell me that Robert Davi is one of these far-right shills? Not Jake Fratelli/Special Agent Johnson/Franz Sanchez?!?

EDIT: Also I think rather than being washed up Nic Cage is trying to pay off massive tax debts so takes on a lot of low tier stuff.

el jacko

Dec 12, 2017
I'm curious if any of the names in this thread are of actors who "disappeared" only because they've been successful on broadway or the west end.

I heard something along those lines about Jason Alexander - if you only paid attention to his movie and TV career post-Seinfeld you'd think he turned out nothing but he's actually been doing theatre most of the time. This is just my understanding, tho, please correct me if I'm wrong.